101 (edited by Arga 2011-02-11 23:55:20)

Re: Root Issue: INCENTIVES TO PLAY, INCENTIVES TO FIGHT

nm

I hope this gets cleaned out when targeting sections/modules gets implemented. A higher chance to sucessfully resolve certain elements like engine etc for smaller weapons - or a better target time should be enough then.

Hearing about artillery above - and seeing the target painter ingame - i hope arty will need at least a 2nd player to work - for target painting and sending the coordinated to the arty guys.

A similar way would be to need the target painter to get to seee the enemy on radar and arty fires by clicking on the radar screen - this way the fierce dmg could be eased up a bit as in accuracy.

the bonus is "if hitdispersion/explosion radius  < 50% of hitsize, then 10% damage bonus"

it was once bugged when explosion damage-calculation was not capped at 100% damage,
and alexander started to nitpick about that little damage boost, when TURRET weapons had the explosion damage calculation applied.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The heart of the matter is that in making mechs/heavy mechs useless for roaming, Perpetuum is turning players off by making them train months EP for bots useless in common situations.

If DEVs are unable to balance all 4 classes to make them viable in roaming and are only capable of giving half of the bots a role there, then they need to get more creative.

There are only 4 classes, leaving 2 on the shelf for roaming applications is unacceptable.
Especially since those 2 classes are where players assessing whether the game has a long-term future are putting their EP to test.

I have limited experience in playing a mech, as I mostly go out in lights and EW bots, so take that bias into consideration with this post.

A major problem, I believe, is that lights (both regular and EW) are far too effective against mechs. Yesterday I ran to Norhoop in a standard fit Yagel and took down a Tyrannos. This is not the first time I have done so in a Yagel using standard equipment. This is not to boast, but to illustrate my point regarding the effectiveness of light bots versus mechs.

In my personal vision of this game, I do not believe that a light bot should ever be able to do that. Even if I was in T4 gear and he was wearing nothing but a LWF, and even taking into account the weak resistances he had versus my damage type, I should not have been able to kill him before he ran to an outpost or had backup arrive.

I do not believe, however, that mechs should see any increased efficiency in killing light bots, in regards to hit dispersion. The following ideas would (in my opinion) greatly increase the viability and survivability of mechs in engagements against light bots:

-Light bots should do reduced damage against mechs and heavy mechs. It should take at least 3 well-fit lights or 5 well-fit EW lights to take down a Mech.

-Mech hit dispersions should remain as they are. I believe the damage they do against lights is proper.

-Assaults, Mechs, and Heavy Mechs should all have an innate Demobilizer resistance. 5%/15%/25%. Or perhaps other numbers.

-Assaults, Mechs, and Heavy Mechs should have their locking range slightly increased, perhaps 10%-15% more than it currently is. Light EW bots should have their locking range decreased slightly. This will help to mitigate (but not completely eliminate) the dodging in and out of locking range that lights are able to do due to their speed advantage. If a Light bot wants to break the Mechs lock, they should have to move far enough away that it breaks their own lock as well. This does not take into account Sensor Amps, but maybe it should.

-The EW strength of bots seems a little strange to me. Bigger, more advanced bots (And those focusing in electronic superiority, i.e. EW bots) should have stronger electronics systems. Heavy mechs are especially disadvantaged. For example:
-Light Bot: 80Hw
-Light EW: 120Hw
-Assault: 100Hw
-Mech: 120Hw
-Mech EW: 160Hw
-Heavy Mech: 140Hw

I think that radar detection should be similar. Light bots should have weaker radar ranges but be harder to find. Mechs should have stronger radar but are easily seen. I like that you're trying to make regular light bots more viable, but I do not believe they should have the farthest radar viewing range.

-Bonuses on Heavy mechs should be better than those on regular mechs. Currently they are equal or slightly worse.

I may be way off base here, but all I can do is offer my opinions based upon my observations. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

106 (edited by Container 2011-02-12 04:10:27)

The way the balancing is done between light and heavy bots now is fine if this was some kind of FPS or RTS where cost of bots and EP do not exist.
However, this is an MMO, not an FPS or RTS.  Cost of bots differs hugely.  EP requirements differs hugely.  DEVs have to realize this and factor it in to performance.
They seem to totally ignore the Cost and EP requirement difference in the power equation.

Light bots have to be at a disadvantage to heavier bots because they cost less and require less EP to train.
They should die more often because they are cheaper to replace.
They should be weaker because they require less skills.

Making cheaper and lower EP bots perform so well takes away any incentive for people to earn NIC and train EP.
This completely removes the incentive to play the game actively for the average MMO player.

DEVs are doing a terrible job at incentivizing bot progression.
This is not a small matter, this is THE matter at the heart of driving the game forward.
No gains from bot progression = people lose interest in the game.
In balancing the bot types like an RTS/FPS you are losing the MMO crowd.

Container wrote:

The way the balancing is done between light and heavy bots now is fine if this was some kind of FPS or RTS where cost of bots and EP do not exist.
However, this is an MMO, not an FPS or RTS.  Cost of bots differs hugely.  EP requirements differs hugely.  DEVs have to realize this and factor it in to performance.
They seem to totally ignore the Cost and EP requirement difference in the power equation.

Light bots have to be at a disadvantage to heavier bots because they cost less and require less EP to train.
They should die more often because they are cheaper to replace.
They should be weaker because they require less skills.

Making cheaper and lower EP bots perform so well takes away any incentive for people to earn NIC and train EP.
This completely deflates the incentive to play the game actively for the average MMO player.

Light bots are already at a disadvantage to mechs with 2-3 times smaller range. In DPS output, mechs outdo everything lightbots/ewars can throw out. Speed wise, only ewars are faster.

So how much more disadvantage should they be at? I fail to see the logic. Smaller spotting range? Yup. As it is, Lights perform a very good role atm; they're perfect cheap anti-ewar platforms with decent speed & double DPS.

Scenarios where 1 H.Mech gets taken out by 10 lights are absurd to discuss, because if you're stupid enough to take out a H.Mech solo you bloody well deserve to get podded.

Combined arms. Mechs eat mechs/assaults, assaults/lights eat lights/ewars, ewars provide utility for mechs to eat each other better. Buffing H.Mechs/Mechs will result in nothing but Mechs being piloted, which is an awesome idea if you actually WANT to play a FPS/RTS.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

108 (edited by Container 2011-02-12 05:25:52)

Syndic wrote:

Mechs eat mechs/assaults, assaults/lights eat lights/ewars, ewars provide utility for mechs to eat each other better.

This scissors paper stone of the different roles sounds wonderful doesn't it?
Until you realize that the costs and EP requirements of each class is wildly different!
This is the RTS mindset trap.
Give all units a role, and do not consider costs and EP requirements much as they are minimal in RTS.
Except this is an MMO, the type of game, people play to feel sustained progress.
They mined and trained EP for a better bot than those who did not.

I give bot balance in Perpetuum top marks for an RTS.
But I give bot balance horrible marks for an MMO.
Lose gains to NIC, gains to EP and bot progression and you lose the entire driving momentum you need to retain long-term player progression and interest.

The basic human desire for linkage between effort/time/cost and gain is not a learn2play issue.  It is not something players can be educated out of. 
It is an unchangeable human instinct that you have to accept and cater to or lose players.
Don't have illusions your game is somehow exempt from having to address expectations of reward for EP/effort.
You need to give people something tangible, like a better bot, that they can justify their subscription costs and endless grinding for.
If you mess up this vital area, the mass of people quietly leave the game out of a vague sense their effort didn't come up to anything significant.
They don't protest or anything so you do not realize it, they just didn't feel fulfilled like they played an MMO to feel.

DEVs better realize this more.

Container wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Mechs eat mechs/assaults, assaults/lights eat lights/ewars, ewars provide utility for mechs to eat each other better.

Until you realize that the costs and EP requirements of each class is wildly different!
Give all units a role, and do not consider costs and EP requirements much as they are minimal in RTS.
Except this is an MMO, the type of game, people play to feel sustained progress.

Lose gains to NIC, gains to EP and bot progression and you lose the entire driving momentum you need to retain long-term player progression and interest.

The basic human desire for linkage between effort/time/cost and gain is not a learn2play issue.  It is not something players can be educated out of. 
It is an unchangeable human instinct that you have to accept and cater to or lose players.
Don't have illusions your game is somehow exempt from having to address expectations of reward for EP/effort.
You need to give people something tangible, like a better bot, that they can justify their subscription costs and endless grinding for.
If you mess up this vital area, the mass of people quietly leave the game out of a vague sense their effort didn't come up to anything significant.
They don't protest or anything so you do not realize it, they just didn't feel fulfilled like they played an MMO to feel.

I'll give you one thing... you're dedicated...

My dreadnought cant kill 3 battleships, even to it cost 10x more!

oh wait, wrong game...

Container wrote:

It's not a trap but a feature in itself.

Sure, if you want you can equip your entire force in Light bots and roam around/protect your island. Or you can equip them in Mechs and roam around/protect your island. At the end of the day, the group that is using the various roles in the combined arms setup will win.

The reward is already there in the range, firepower, and utility for the EP invested. Buffing the "end tier" of current bots will do nothing but insure that future corporations who are yet to come will never be able to catch up to the established, industrially strong and organized corporations.

An expensive bot should never be more important factor then player skill. Otherwise we might just as well be playing WoW and grinding for Tier XY.

CIR Complaint Form

Container wrote:

I dislike games where the mechanics are stacked so that your time playing virtually guarantees you a victory, irrespective of how you play and what choices you make along the way.

In Perpetuum, you've already got vets having an advantage over newbs with time-based EP. But you want to make it worse?

If the devs suddenly gave us more mechanics for pvp that included mechs, instead of rebalancing mechs, would you be satisfied that your complaints had been addressed?

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

113 (edited by Container 2011-02-12 17:40:09)

Campana wrote:

If the devs suddenly gave us more mechanics for pvp that included mechs, instead of rebalancing mechs, would you be satisfied that your complaints had been addressed?

Not sure you are getting the point.
The problem is that mech/heavy mech users, which is 50% of the bot types in the game are useless for roaming, which is a lively, casual-friendly and fun part of the game.
Making mech/heavy mech useful and light bots less useful in some other common activity does not solve the problem, which is that mech/heavy mech users are useless for roaming.
In fact that creates a new problem!  Now the light bot users cannot participate.

Bot type X not useful in activity A.
Solution: make it useful in activity A.
Not the solution: make it useful in activity B.  So what?  Good for those who like activity B.  But the problem remains, when activity A comes around, Bot type remains useless.
Get it?

Mechs/Heavy mechs should be better at some activities and worse at other activities, but it should be VIABLE at all activities.
Making it viable for some and not others makes people who only have Mech skills or Mechs have to sit out fun activities, which is a poor recompense for the EP and NIC they spent getting there.

Campana wrote:
Container wrote:

I dislike games where the mechanics are stacked so that your time playing virtually guarantees you a victory, irrespective of how you play and what choices you make along the way.

In Perpetuum, you've already got vets having an advantage over newbs with time-based EP. But you want to make it worse?

Only if he has something else to complain about....

115 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-02-12 17:29:22)

Container wrote:

Making it viable for some and not others makes people who only have Industry skills or Industry bots have to sit out fun activities, which is a poor recompense for the EP and NIC they spent getting there.

See what i did there? I bet you those miners feel your pain when you get to roam around and PvP and they don't have that choice because they spent all that EP in mining.

PETITION TO REBALANCE INDUSTRY CHARACTER TO BE EFFECTIVE IN ROAMING PVP AND INTRUSIONS WITHOUT THE USE OF REPAIR BOTS BECAUSE REPAIRING ISNT COOL AND WASNT IN THE TRAILER VIDEO

Container wrote:

The problem is that mech/heavy mech users, which is 50% of the bot types in the game are useless for roaming, which is a lively, casual-friendly and fun part of the game.
Making mech/heavy mech useful and light bots less useful in some other common activity does not solve the problem, which is that mech/heavy mech users are useless for roaming.
In fact that creates a new problem!  Now the light bot users cannot participate.

Bot type X not useful in activity A.
Solution: make it useful in activity A.
Not the solution: make it useful in activity B.  So what?  Good for those who like activity B.  But the problem remains, when activity A comes around, Bot type remains useless.
Get it?

Mechs/Heavy mechs should be better at some activities and worse at other activities, but it should be VIABLE at all activities.
Making it viable for some and not others makes people who only have Mech skills or Mechs have to sit out fun activities, which is a poor recompense for the EP and NIC they spent getting there.

Ok you make this point a lot about mechs not being viable for roams, so please explain: Why are mechs not viable for roaming?

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Why are mechs not viable for roaming?

Slow.  By the time you get anywhere, the light bots in your roam gang have fallen asleep.

118 (edited by Campana 2011-02-12 19:10:21)

Container wrote:

Of course I get the point.

But this sentiment I disagree with:

Container wrote:

The solution is that more different types of pvp get added, not that mechs get re-balanced.

And this bit I seriously disagree with:

Container wrote:

We're going round in circles now, just repeating arguments already made, so I'm going to stop posting in this thread until something new comes up.

Edit: I remember a discussion on TS before Christmas I think it was, where some of the guys who've been in the beta a long time (Alex? Dread? someone like that) discussed how the whole server were racing for mechs, and they predicted that some people would be disappinted in them not being an instant I-WIN button, that those people wouldn't appreciate what roles they were useful in, and that complaints would be made about the EP/material cost of mechs rendering them not worthwhile. Well. You called it.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Players are continually answering Container's issue with the game directly, he just doesn't care.

Let me boil it down so we can move on.

Roaming is a player initiated activity, there's no game mechanic that requires or directly rewards roaming; looting players is part of killing a bot not particular to roaming.

Up until this last patch, there was nothing that required any one to 'answer' the roam. The most effective answer to roaming is to watch the gates and retire to an outpost until the roamers left the Island. Even with the patch, and the new plants, your better off NOT guarding the plants to keep the location secret.

So, to counter the 'dockup' issue, players use fast bots to get onto the Island and catch group before they can get back home safe.

Fast Bot roaming becomes the defacto PVP activity in Perpetuum because its the only way to get any PVP action unless there is an Intrusion; I'll add that civil wars generate more and better PVP than either intrusions or roaming, but they are unpredictable smile

So, Container, I fully understand WHY you want mechs to be viable in roaming, its the ONLY consistent PVP action there is in the game.

The reason you are getting so much Anti-mech change pushback is because the state of roaming developed natuarally from the current game mechanics, but you want the devs to change game mechanics simply because you WANT to use a mech to roam.

Roaming with mechs isn't going to generate MORE PVP.

What you should be asking for is the devs to generate more opportunity where mechs do generate MORE PVP.

I fully expect container to ignore this post and continue his campaign. You see this type of thing in WoW all the time, where someone comes up with a totally crappy Rogue spec than generates any and alll arguements on the forums for why the devs need to buff the spec because its not viable. Not every bot is, or needs to be, useable for every activity.

Well if some pseudo-objectives get added that make mechs viable - lets say - "flag defense scenarios-whatever" - the problem wouldnt just be solved becasue now mechs would serve a purpose.

Its not about finding some reason for mechs to be viable, but of course they should be viable in the normal, naturally derived roaming pvp since this is - the standard pvp - the most natural conflict there is in any game - opponent A and B meet and get to it.

To just up the speed would totally unbalance things and also would destroy their perception as heavy units.

So there are 3 other options:

- you anhance their range
- you decrease the speed of lighter units
- you change the system so that they cannot run away or attack to their liking

Aswell as in the other topic about EWs - i'd go with making their interceptor speed a temporary ability that either allows them to intercept fast or to flee - but not both at any time of their liking.

Container wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Why are mechs not viable for roaming?

Slow.  By the time you get anywhere, the light bots in your roam gang have fallen asleep.

My mech goes 75 kph, 80 with standard nexus. The light bots in my roam gang are struggling to catch up.

CIR Complaint Form

122 (edited by ElGamal 2011-02-12 20:11:46)

The smallest static speed increase will always make the faster one staticly superior. Thats why a static change isnt the key to any speed related solution. Same goes for nerfs.

Thats why only a temporary speed variation on either the faster or slower side can change a static and unearned bonuses to something that happens on player decision, if rdy and usable.

edit: dang grammar tongue

123 (edited by Container 2011-02-12 21:00:53)

Roaming is the only consistent PVP there is.
Whatever new types of PVP is added, roaming will still be significant.
Leaving 50% of the game population who trained for mech/heavy mech to be bored when roams are going on is a sure recipe to lose subscribers.

So some can pimp a Kain out.  However, 75 kph is still slow compared to a 90kph light bot gang.  The standard speed is 69kph for Tyrannos and Artemis with everything maxed and T4 lightweight frame and minimal fitting.  And what about heavy mechs?
Mechs/heavy mechs need to be around the 80 kph speed for roaming.

Learn2play style of thinking has one big problem.
It is thinking any problems players have with the game is with the players.
It is putting the blame of poor game design on the players excusing any problems with the game balancing and stopping improvement.
Completely ignoring any need to improve anything with an excuse.

Thinking "hey players are playing the wrong way, they must be educated! so they follow the game vision!" is totally putting the cart before the horse.
While a game needs to have some direction it must adapt to the psychology of its customers or it will not survive.
If you see customers leaving, time to modify your vision to one that works.
What has always worked in all MMOs is progression to more powerful bots/gear/powers.
WOW, EVE, WOT, Rift, AOC, whatever.
Making EP progression and bot progression too insignificant is directly going against the tide of human nature.
In so doing you lose sight of the entire driver of MMO participation for the majority of people.

Players who want to play or DEVs who want to design a game with perfect balance and where cost, and EP progression don't factor in, go play or make an RTS like Starcraft2.
However, once you are in MMO territory, player progression has to be heavily considered as that is the very essence of MMOs as compared to other game types.
Bot balancing thought in Perpetuum has been too neglectful of the MMO player's need to see progress and this weakens the entire game at its very core.

I see a lot of comments regarding mechs being superior to light bots due to their higher engagement range.  Can some one answer this assuming the mech has a 500m grweater engagement range than a light / ewar bot, and that the light bots are quite a bit faster than the mechs realy how much of a bonus is the range.

At the best possible situation for the mech ie. it can retreat flat terrain with no obsticles i calc that it would take a light bot ~ 1 min to cover the distance that equates to 20 cycles of 3 secs each.  And I know of no location in the game that this would occur, relegating mechs only benefit to ganking unwary bots that it sneaks up on.

Container wrote:

Roaming is the only consistent PVP there is.
Whatever new types of PVP is added, roaming will still be significant.
Leaving 50% of the game population who trained for mech/heavy mech to be bored when roams are going on is a sure recipe to lose subscribers.

Where is this 50% game population who trained for mech/heavy mech?

So some can pimp a Kain out.  However, 75 kph is still slow compared to a 90kph light bot gang.  The standard speed is 69kph for Tyrannos and Artemis with everything maxed and T4 lightweight frame and minimal fitting.  And what about heavy mechs?
Mechs/heavy mechs need to be around the 80 kph speed for roaming.

Learn2play style of thinking has one big problem.
It is thinking any problems players have with the game is with the players.
It is putting the blame of poor game design on the players excusing any problems with the game balancing and stopping improvement.
Completely ignoring any need to improve anything with an excuse.

Thinking "hey players are playing the wrong way, they must be educated! so they follow the game vision!" is totally putting the cart before the horse.
While a game needs to have some direction it must adapt to the psychology of its customers or it will not survive.
If you see customers leaving, time to modify your vision to one that works.
What has always worked in all MMOs is progression to more powerful bots/gear/powers.
WOW, EVE, WOT, Rift, AOC, whatever.
Making EP progression and bot progression too insignificant is directly going against the tide of human nature.
In so doing you lose sight of the entire driver of MMO participation for the majority of people.

Players who want to play or DEVs who want to design a game with perfect balance and where cost, and EP progression don't factor in, go play or make an RTS like Starcraft2.
However, once you are in MMO territory, player progression has to be heavily considered as that is the very essence of MMOs as compared to other game types.
Bot balancing thought in Perpetuum has been too neglectful of the MMO player's need to see progress and this weakens the entire game at its very core.

Where is this 50% game population who trained for mech/heavy mech? Or do you mean your alliance?

Your thinking is correct, carrot & reward system works. But balance is also to be taken into equation, because if mechs are any faster there wont be anything else piloted in-game besides Mechs and Ewar Mechs. Might as well scrap the whole Basic Robotic/Basic X skill tree, as well as all the low-tier bots.

There are other ways of making bot progression/EP progression more involving & rewarding, and it doesn't necessarily revolve around buffing 1 type of bot so the biggest blob of people mining can produce the biggest blob of 1-type bots to own the rest of the noobs who have smaller blob of people mining.

"Vanity rewards", i.e. paintjobs, custom logos, corp logos, more engaging PvE experience - and ofcourse, player-built structures and nullsec itself will go a long way towards giving people ample sand to play with.

Without destroying the whole game balance so 1 group could wtfpwn everything else because they mine more.

CIR Complaint Form