Topic: Plant growth after patch

After the patch all plants were capped at 6 - 12 on the alpha islands. This stops harvesting in its tracks because you deplete a patch in 3 cycles. Please try a different strategy during the next patch!
Would it not be simpler if you left plants at the numbers they are, so a patch of 0 stays at 0 and a patch of 51 stays at 51.

Re: Plant growth after patch

This is actually intended but was left out of the patch notes by mistake. Plants were too abundant and available right at your doorstep.

but plants wil regrow to former levels DEV Zoom? Or do they stay this level?

Plants will grow normally like before, just the material that grows in them is capped at a certain level. It will still regrow up to that value if you don't harvest them to zero and kill them.

so helioptris is capped at 12? you calculated how many patches you need for a single load of helioptris? if 1 person decides to harvest, the rest of the population will have to wait for a day or so, so crafting anything grinds to a halt.

if that was true, then you would feel the chill of m2s plantageddons.

We have literally killed thousands of plants, but still they come back...

This was a bad move. I suggest fewer plants, more spaced out and much larger yields.

The Game

8 (edited by Annihilator 2011-02-06 01:12:10)

hmm, for a very beginner noob who got his hands on the equipment to harvest and has only raised basic robotics a bit (laird + 3x small harvester + basic robotics lvl4)

Cargo = 7,5 U (30k Helio or Triandlus)

per cycle 372 Helioptris  =   80 cycles to fill cargo =   7 helioptris plants
per cycle 248 Triandlus   = 120 cycles to fill cargo = 10 triandlus plants

ignoring locking time, as he can lock the second one while he harvests one - it will ake a bit more then 60s per plant to harvest it empty.

i would say, for beginners, its not worth to harvest. two of them can clear all plants in a 2km radius around the terminal in 2 hours?
(market worth of 1 load helioptris is ~50-60k NIC)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

If plants were to available before the patch, why, in a market based economy were plants then more expensive to buy. In my economics book that meant that they were less available.

Ok just harvested 401k of helioptris, (100 U), and for that i had to clear the entire NE slope out of ICS. Thats me, a single person needing some heliotris ruining an entire slope for a few days. I would like any DEV to say that is what they intended for harvesting on the alpha islands.

11 (edited by Siddy 2011-02-06 12:47:06)

If that material becomes rare, charge more price for it?

Economy 101.

You DON'T HAVE to sell it cheap. And you can start to reflect the effort it takes to get the mats in the pricing instead of whining.

+ they do regrow

fast

harvesting has always been an anoying job to do -

- size of the harvested stuff (0.00025u)
- density of the spawns relative low
- relative low cycle count per plant (~100 max compared to 255 for full ore-plate)
- 29m range for harvesting mod
- after some time you had to harvest plants closer to npc spawns

combine all those and you got:
- field container cannot be kept in access range all the time
- you have to empty your cargo very often into the field can because of the size

some player started to stop harvesting at 1-4 cycles left in the plant, to have it regrow faster. This tactic is now obsolete.

i can understand why it was reduced, but i can't really understand why so... global even.
You could have reduced the cycles per plant around open passages and terminals/outposts. The outer areas are now more dangerous due to roaming NPCs - and plants around NPC spots could have higher cycle values too.

Also you could have reduced the regrowth rate and make it non-linear. 1-12 cycles within a day, and then 13-100 cycles within a week. (instead of 50 cycles per day)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

reflect the changes in to price.

Reduce Harvester Weight and harvesting stops being so bad.
Mediums should have 500kg and T2 400kg. Not 1000kg and 900kg. Weight was reduced but was uniformed across all tiers. Reported and then weight got increased for all modules. sad

Harvest modules should be lighter for a speedy harvest robot to easily manoeuvre about.

The Game

I hate to say it but apparently Siddy is the only one here who can see behind the system.
Do I understand it right that the problem is now that you can't sit next to one plant for 5 minutes but have to move to another more frequently? (Effectively making it less boring/less AFK-ish - you choose).

The material numbers in a plant is pure psychology, in the end it balances out and only affects how expensive or how cheap the produced items will be.

But it seems everyone is addicted to large numbers for some reason - so we have now doubled the material limits of plants on alpha islands... *shrug*

DEV Zoom wrote:

This is actually intended but was left out of the patch notes by mistake. Plants were too abundant and available right at your doorstep.

So the Dev's are now playing the role of the US Federal Reserve system?  We've seen how well that has worked out since 1913... ^^  Central planning of an economy is a non starter for many of the reasons that Ludwig Von Mise, very well illustrated in his books at the start of the 20th century.  Good intentions aren't nearly enough when one is dealing with the number of variables involved in a market economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_von_Mises

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek

An entertaining video on some of the Mise/Hayek concepts as opposed to Keynsian voodo can be found here. ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Did this Ludwig guy change the fundamental biology of crops?  If not, it is irrelevant to this thread.

This is a *** game, and they are trying to balance it.  If the devs had some vested interest in having the economy working in their favor (they are playing the game in a corp and want to give themselves more power), then you post actually applies somewhat, but then just outright accuse them of being so instead.  Posts like yours are either blatantly irrelevant or just beating around the bush because you're a coward.  Which is it?

->You just lost The Game<-

Neoxx wrote:

Did this Ludwig guy change the fundamental biology of crops?  If not, it is irrelevant to this thread.

This is a *** game, and they are trying to balance it.  If the devs had some vested interest in having the economy working in their favor (they are playing the game in a corp and want to give themselves more power), then you post actually applies somewhat, but then just outright accuse them of being so instead.  Posts like yours are either blatantly irrelevant or just beating around the bush because you're a coward.  Which is it?

LOL!! What benefit would there be, for the games economy to work in the Dev's favor?? They have as much of anything as they might wish to give themselves. ^^  That has absolutely nothing to do with my post on the folly of central planning. Any accusations are entirely a figment of your fevered imagination. The rest isn't even worthy of a response.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

This is rubbish to be honest, i understand how it can be done with mining as you get lots of tiles to mine from, but plants are spread out over massive areas and last about 10 cycles if you are lucky i spend more time locking targets than mining which is naf. I understand what you are saying above but i think you have cut the number too low, and harvesting has now become a pain in the arse.

Zoom wrote:

But it seems everyone is addicted to large numbers for some reason - so we have now doubled the material limits of plants on alpha islands... *shrug*

the large numbers start with the comodities necessary to build something -> those components then need even more raw materials -> lets have positive refining deltas and low material efficiencys in the factory/CT = really really large numbers.

please dont call us addicted to large numbers, if the materials or NIC are counted in millions.

Anyway, like i wrote earlier - im happy with smaller ammount close to buildings and more towards dangrous or far away places. but a general cut leaves no transition between zero danger alpha and high danger beta. This is just more propagating: join an Alliance, or leave the game.

... but it looks thats what siddy wants after all, right?

Annihilator: I don't think this has anything to do with component numbers.
Before you got x amount of raw materials from one plant, now you have to get the same amount from 2 separate plants. This only affects gameplay slightly.

Annihilator wrote:

... but it looks thats what siddy wants after all, right?

o i think hell will freeze over before Zoom and i agree on something...

But i don't see this as a problem. In beta you can still have the old numbers.
In alpha you will have more logistical concerns.  Less risk but such are the rewards.

And if you feel this is as bad as you say, buy off the cheap plants and make profit from this when people start pricing plants higher.

Think the plant changes suck. There was already competition over plants on alpha (other players). 12 is ridiculously low, way overboard, even double that is still bad.

Purgatory wrote:

Think the plant changes suck. There was already competition over plants on alpha (other players). 12 is ridiculously low, way overboard, even double that is still bad.

There is less competition on beta. Talk to the hoop they'll set you blue.

Plants on Daoden now have over 100 units.
Plants on beta have no more than 40 (I've checked as many plants as I could find).

Feature? big_smile

The Game