Topic: Random Mission generator

There should be a random mission generator, replacing almost all the existing asignments we have atm.

For that i came to the solution are the following things are necessary:

1. script that can analyze the current map data + obstacles and plants to trace a path between two or more coordinates.

2. script that creates unique data file (we already have unique, non-tradabel items like geoscan files and CTs

3. a database that categorizes NPC spawns by threat, depending on the type of mission (eg. fast demobbing npcs are most dangerous for transport missions)

4. script that calculates the lentgh of the path

5. script to calculate the absolute minimum time necessary to run along the path

6. database for corporation relations and such

with all that data it should be possible to create random assignments for:
- bounty hunting
- transport
- geoscan
- recon

The reward and standing gain could be related to:
-travel time
-npc threat along the route
-npc threat at the destination
-number and volume of the tranported files
-bonus for fast delivery
- .... (you could even count in player-corp threat)

One of the responses i got for this idea was, that a range and threat scrip wouldn't be necessary, as they could do that manually - i disagree here, as any terraforming, plantgrowth or simply relocated npcs spawn can bug the whole reward (as seen with the current missions)

The whole thing would make botting transportmissions almost impossible, and mission-grinding less boring.
Additionally it could make standing gain more dynamic as it is now.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

2 (edited by Deadmeet 2011-02-03 20:44:30)

Re: Random Mission generator

Why not imagine a sytem where players could create their own mission. Instead of working on a "all random system", we could allocate ressources to make an usable editor integrated to the game and the players or corporations could create their own in addition to the npc's ones.

This would complete a several objective :
- Bring a new breath to the gameplay which is quite repetitive.
- The players that complete the mission have the feeling to do something usefull for others. This is far more exciting that have the thanks of an NPC.
- Players or corporation that create missions could avoid something they don't like in the game (ex : mining big_smile) and they could do what they like to do in the game for some NICs ^^

It seems that with this game, you try to find the real source of the problem when there is one (for example the original collision system to make pvp more balanced when a smaller gang engage a bigger one). I really think that doing that mission editor for players would resolve a lot ones. Think to it big_smile

I've always like the idea of player created missions. The only way to make it work in practice though is to create an internal balancing system that decides the reward based on what your mission parameters are, and a meta-resource exclusively used to create missions.

Heres an example. A corp gets delegation points (the meta-resource) from each megacorp for either holding an outpost associated with that megacorp, or from having members with high standings with that megacorp (so it's available to pvpers and pve'ers). Delegation points determine how much reward your missions can give out, and they can be performed an unlimited number of times (with the normal 6/10 restriction), as long as you leave them available. When you create a mission, it's level and reward are automatically decided by what objectives you decide, or perhaps a number of reward type options are available and simply the size of the reward is determined automatically.

Deadmeat - player mission are something else -> how do those player create NIC? using the m2s NIC-printing device?

the RMG (Random Mission Generator) is an essetial part for the basic PvE game with NPCs in there.
If they ever implement things from my PvE suggestion, it could be expanded for "repair defense tower at x,y" or "restock ammo supply at outpost z"

Player created missions - Lyghtcrye, i dont understand your post.
If the mission reward is something the contractee has to deposit at the terminal, and the agent doing it will get it for fullfilling the conditions - how can you exploit that?
NIC reward cant be created out of thin air,
Standing reward could only be towards the playercorporation
Itemreward also needs to be deployed.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator, the point is that players wont deposit nic for people to do missions for them, unless those missions directly result in greater profit than the reward, hence the mission runner would have no motivation to do the mission for that corp, but would rather take the "objective" items, for himself. In order for the system to work, the nic MUST be generated out of thin air, like it is for npc missions, and a limiting factor MUST exist, that way players will have a reason to both make and perform missions.

i wonder how much of this topic has influenced this:

DEV Zoom (Blogpost) wrote:

Performance-based assignment rewards

Why the fuss to shoot 10 Grunts when you can just hop in your trusty Arkhe, do some transport assignments, and get pretty much the same money in less time and with less risk? Over and over and over again? Can I have a "boooooring"?

Yep, the current missioning system is in dire need of a revamp. We'll introduce dynamic rewards based on average completion times, and also bonuses if you're faster than the average. Risk and distance covered will be much more rewarded than they are now.

*bump*

for me, RMG is still something that should be on the top priority list of PvE content.

since my last post here, someone in the DEV team tried to this manually.

Yep, the current missioning system is in dire need of a revamp. We'll introduce dynamic rewards based on average completion times, and also bonuses if you're faster than the average. Risk and distance covered will be much more rewarded than they are now.

and what we got up to now is less then a handfull of half bad balanced missions that any1 could do when he is somewhere.

i mean, beta outpost missions are unavailiable for most, even if your an beta outpost owner, you got an 1:2 chance that you can run your missions for the subcorp you got standing with from there.
and the number of possible missions you can run at the same time from one station is rather low (i can hardly take more then two combat missions at once from an alpha2 terminal)

enough for now.

Up, Up and Away!