1 (edited by Neoxx 2010-11-21 06:41:16)

Topic: The greatest debate, the "stEVE" thing

"Isnt this game just EvE with mechs?  Srsly, they must have just copied the source code and added the ground in.  The Devs have no creativity and should be burned at the stake, but not before CCP sues them to get the money AC stole from their potential audience!"

"But, most of the Devs have never even seen stEVE, and a lot of the mechanics and UI came out the same because thats just the best way to do it.  Great minds think alike!"

"Even if they did take some 'inspirations' from eve, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  They should embrace the likeness of the two games and use it to their advantage!"

Which viewpoint will reign supreme?  Only YOUR flames stand between public ridicule and popular opinion!

The forums just didnt feel the same without this thread.  For those of you who are feeling nostalgic, missed out on the beta, or just have way too much time on your hands, here's the OP:

http://forumsbetaarchive.perpetuum-onli … eve-thing/

**Credit to Gambit for the title inspiration.  Credit to Gremrod for 'stEVE'.  The opinions stated above are not necessarily my own, but a brief representation of the viewpoints regarding the origins of Perpetuum.**

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

2 (edited by Bartlebe 2010-11-21 07:07:15)

Re: The greatest debate, the "stEVE" thing

Honestly, I couldn't care less what it borrows from Eve.

It does a lot of things right that put it ahead of Eve in my book. It's a fun, complex and interesting sandbox MMO. Who really cares about anything else? Play it and have fun. There is plenty of room in the MMO stratosphere for all of us without getting caught up in the mess of intellectual proprietorship.

Darwin's Natural Selection.

Who was born a gecko, will never be an alligator.
M2S - Menace to Society fraggin since 2009

The more you play it the more you can see the differences. But obviously if your going to group MMO's together Perpetuum and EVE would be the Walter and Perry of the MMO world.

1 NIC to whomever gets that reference.

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."

Seems like Google deserves your NIC.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=walter+and+perry

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Every time I see this argument I say we need more games in the style of EVE. And then I ask people if they would rather have more WoW clones?

And they say "yeah, good point."

P.S. Neoxx you looked better with more weight on. Eat cake! Diets are overrated.

Campana wrote:

Every time I see this argument I say we need more games in the style of EVE. And then I ask people if they would rather have more WoW clones?

And they say "yeah, good point."

P.S. Neoxx you looked better with more weight on. Eat cake! Diets are overrated.

The closer to eve the better big_smile

8 (edited by Hug 2010-11-21 19:34:14)

as said mmo's copy left and right since nearly forever.
most of us are just so used to that theme park mmo's did this since their beginning (first they evolved out off stuff like EQ and since WoW it's more copying without innovation i'd say) as this is where the masses will play and thus most publishers just care for that stuff.

so we the more sandbox loving ppl also deserve a few games that evolve of the goods of our genre like UO, eve..:)

it's about damn time someone took a closer look at eve or was "thinking the same" and made something out of it that was not there before..just 2 facts i can tell so far that make me like perpetuum over eve so far: no local chat radar and no endless gate camping being 99% of the pvp (hopefully tongue)

Pretty much the only thing thats the same as eve is elements of the UI, the whole gameplay experience is very different as is every major game element. People seem to forget that most of eve was "copied" from Elite: frontier - there are a limited number of ways for a game to do something. It makes sense to do it in a way that is familier.

Anyone who thinks PvP, PvE or production in this game is the same as eve is ***.

Neoxx wrote:

"Isnt this game just EvE with mechs?  Srsly, they must have just copied the source code and added the ground in.  The Devs have no creativity and should be burned at the stake, but not before CCP sues them to get the money AC stole from their potential audience!"

"But, most of the Devs have never even seen stEVE, and a lot of the mechanics and UI came out the same because thats just the best way to do it.  Great minds think alike!"

"Even if they did take some 'inspirations' from eve, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  They should embrace the likeness of the two games and use it to their advantage!"

Which viewpoint will reign supreme?  Only YOUR flames stand between public ridicule and popular opinion!

None of the above.  This game shares none of the source code with EVE, so there is no legal grounds for CCP to sue.  I have no doubt the developers of Perpetuum have played EVE for years and are intimately familiar with it's flaws and virtues.  It has taken more than inspiration from EVE, and in the process has improved on the gameplay significantly.  This game stands on EVE shoulders.  We are talking Progress with the capital 'P'.

There's actually only 11 real people playing EVE-Online with a lot of alts.

Bakers trade recipes on a knead to know basis.

Ulviirala wrote:

There's actually only 11 real people playing EVE-Online with a lot of alts.

And this entire thread is being responded to with only my alts.

I enjoyed my time in EvE. I hope to enjoy my time in Perpetuum as well. Only time will tell and to hell with this debate on it's similarities/differences.

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

I'm concerned that some of the parts of EVE that I quite disliked (for instance, the fact that playing the game consisted primarily of waiting because of how many set-and-forget mechanics there were) are in Perpetuum.

Sandbox PvP tends to be a bad idea in game design because it ensures the least fun battles are those that happen most often. In a PvP sandbox, there's no reason to fight when you can't win (unless you can't escape). The game naturally devolves into what is essentially ganking because it's pointless to fight when you have the option of safely retreating in the face of even (or worse) odds.

I've made a couple of blog posts on this topic that, if you're interested in a critique of open world PvP games, you should check out:

Why Open-World PvP-Focused MMORPGs are Dead
Sandbox MMO Design Problems

Those concerns and criticisms aside, there should definitely be more MMOs similar to EVE in terms of complexity and depth.

Evizaer wrote:

I'm concerned that some of the parts of EVE that I quite disliked (for instance, the fact that playing the game consisted primarily of waiting because of how many set-and-forget mechanics there were) are in Perpetuum.

Sandbox PvP tends to be a bad idea in game design because it ensures the least fun battles are those that happen most often. In a PvP sandbox, there's no reason to fight when you can't win (unless you can't escape). The game naturally devolves into what is essentially ganking because it's pointless to fight when you have the option of safely retreating in the face of even (or worse) odds.

I've made a couple of blog posts on this topic that, if you're interested in a critique of open world PvP games, you should check out:

Those concerns and criticisms aside, there should definitely be more MMOs similar to EVE in terms of complexity and depth.

We dobt have warp here, bro.

If we did, I assure you GG wouldn't have lost all theor bots in the fight and we wouldn't have lost 3 in the first fight.

Play the game before posting next time.

Yeah I'm quite pleased that once you engage/see someone as long as you have at least a few folks who are faster than the other side's slowest bots there will be losses.  It's not like eve at all in that respect.

Neoxx wrote:

"Isnt this game just EvE with mechs?

Wasn't Starcraft just Warcraft in space?

Wasn't Half-Life just Quake with an actual storyline?

Wasn't TQ just Diablo II set in ancient Greece?

Wasn't C&C just Dune 2 not set on Arrakis?

Wasn't Bioshock just SS2 underwater?

--

The point is, good games naturally spawn other similar games. Some of these are better than the original, some of them aren't - time will tell.

Neoxx wrote:
Evizaer wrote:

We dobt have warp here, bro.

If we did, I assure you GG wouldn't have lost all theor bots in the fight and we wouldn't have lost 3 in the first fight.

Play the game before posting next time.

You should have honestly read my post before responding to it. I said I was "concerned". I have not played the game enough to actually make factual statements and I made no such statements in my post.

What you say sounds promising. Unfortunately, the earlier part of the game you need to grind through to get to the fun PvP stuff that you describe may be too boring for me to bother going that far. I'm still in the process of giving the game an honest shot. I do not have time to put more than an hour a night into this game. There are more fun games to play (at least for now, I anticipate Perpetuum will get more interesting as I play more) and other things to be done.

Theres no instant escape from a fight.  There are teleports but you obviously have to run to them.  You just seem to be posting this "woe is me!" post where its completely unnecessary.

Its probably because you are under the misconception that this game is just like EvE.  I'm sorry that someone convinced you of that.

What a croak of horse manure.

As Quoted by Demiwar 2010-06-25 16:27:43

The great debate , the "EVE" thingim confused on the part of there not being any changes. I must say this game not only looks, but also feels a lot like Eve, but there are some MAJOR differences. First off, no freaking 30 jump trips to buy a stupid skill. Second, you dont have to have a skill in queue to advance. You earn EP and then spend it as a credit, as opposed to setting a budget and waiting. This also means that a new(1-2 months) player can go on vacation without falling behind because the queue isnt long enough. Third, you can move FREELY. By far the worst part of eve was the movement restrictions of point A-B only. Lastly, the production system in Perpetuum is much better than Eve in my books, and those points are just scratching the surface of it. I gained all that from like, 3 days of casual playing.

Oh, and the mining. I think its awesome that mining requires ammo and actual scanning, one more thing for players to make.

Last edited by Demiwar (2010-06-25 16:29:44)

Has some good points yeah? lets find what makes them different instead of looking for whats similar, and remember eve has grown over the past several years give perpetuum time to grow

22 (edited by Evizaer 2010-11-23 14:20:21)

Neoxx wrote:

Theres no instant escape from a fight.  There are teleports but you obviously have to run to them.  You just seem to be posting this "woe is me!" post where its completely unnecessary.

It was a "this genre is broken and this game isn't doing enough to fix that" post. There's a reason why most EVE players stick to empire space and Darkfall hasn't increased its sub numbers above (IIRC) 30k. Open world PvP is a very small niche and for a good reason.

I also was not talking about "instant escape". If someone is capable of assessing the threat level posed by an enemy force, he can easily pick to avoid all fights but those in his favor. I'm not sure what mechanics Perpetuum has in place to avoid this situation, but if it isn't avoided most of the PvP in the game will be ganking. What mechanics are in place to prevent you from accurately estimating the power of your enemy and just avoiding all fights you won't obviously win?

(Notice: I'm not making a point that Perpetuum is broken because of this, I'm asking what mechanics does Perpetuum have that prevent this. I'm not speaking out against the game, I'm wondering if it gets around a problem I see in other similar games.)

It's probably because you are under the misconception that this game is just like EvE.  I'm sorry that someone convinced you of that.

Actually, an hour or two in Perpetuum worked hard to convinced me that the game "is just like EVE". It seems to have copied much of the style and interface of eve with only minor alterations. The easiest way to have people assume (erroneously, in this case) that you are a clone is to clone immediately visible and prevalent parts of the game, like the interface.

Perpetuum certainly has plenty of its own mechanics and ideas. It's not an EVE clone, it just borrowed heavily from parts of EVE. It's good that there is another game that aims to be as deep and involved as EVE.

What a croak of horse manure.

Please make an actual argument or do not bother to post. There's enough trolling/flaming/general idiocy on the internet already.

Also, it's "crock" not "croak". If you're going to waste everyone's time, at least use your insulting metaphors correctly.

The reason you can't avoid fights is simple, as soon as you show up on radar it is a matter of the slowest mechs not being able to get away, for both sides.  If I stumble upon you and someone in my group is slower than your fast movers, I have to engage or leave them behind if you chase.

Evizaer wrote:

It was a "this genre is broken and this game isn't doing enough to fix that" post.

The genre isn't broken. Niche, yes, broken, no. The main trouble is that companies who want profit will make themepark games. Sandbox games end up being made by indie devs who lack funding, or experience, or both, and the games they make tend to launch with bugs, memory leaks, client crashes and server instability. (Perpetuum is doing amazingly well here).

Evizaer wrote:

There's a reason why most EVE players stick to empire space and Darkfall hasn't increased its sub numbers above (IIRC) 30k. Open world PvP is a very small niche and for a good reason.

Open world pvp doesn't equal sandbox, nor does it have to. All those EVE players living in high sec are still playing a sandbox game, albeit most of their combat is PvE. I can't attribute this fact, but I once saw a statistic that null sec space hosts about 50,000 of EVE's players. That's a pretty respectable proportion if it's true.

Darkfall is (arguably) not a true sandbox* it's just (or was at launch) an open world PvP game and therefore does not support your argument that the genre is broken because open world PvP is broken.

Evizaer wrote:

I also was not talking about "instant escape". If someone is capable of assessing the threat level posed by an enemy force, he can easily pick to avoid all fights but those in his favor. I'm not sure what mechanics Perpetuum has in place to avoid this situation, but if it isn't avoided most of the PvP in the game will be ganking. What mechanics are in place to prevent you from accurately estimating the power of your enemy and just avoiding all fights you won't obviously win?

There are two mechanics which do this in games in general. The first mechanic is the carrot, which lures people into PvP zones in the first place. The second mechanic is the lack of either the will or the ability to disengage.

The carrot can't just be mobs that drop better stuff, or better mining yields. It has to be something that players want, and that they will be forced to protect otherwise they risk losing. Such as owned outposts or player structures - which also serve as the second mechanic, because they have to be captured and defended.

I can't really talk about how successfully Perpetuum has done this, because I haven't played long enough to know. The ingredients are there (or in the case of player built structures are in the pipeline).

You can't really prevent people from avoiding engagements they think they won't win. It's human nature, and game mechanics need to work with human nature, not against it.

P.S. Sorry Neoxx for not trolling in your stEVE thread

-----------------------------------------
*By "sandbox" I mean a game that tries to simulate a world where players take on social, economic and military roles via their interactions with each other, where the content is largely produced by the players themselves using the tools at their disposal.

M2S is ashamed of your logical, considerate, and constructive post.