1 (edited by Gremrod 2010-12-22 18:17:41)

Topic: Beta islands should have no safe area.

Change: Beta island secure areas have been slightly increased in size because arriving players were sometimes put outside of them.

Remove the safe areas on beta and just extend the safe timer a bit longer. Safe areas on beta around the island to island stations are killing the pvp for beta islands.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Re: Beta islands should have no safe area.

Keep the safe area but have it based on a timer.  If you leave the safe area you will be vulnerable like you currently are, but you can still go back into the safe area until that timer expires.

I'm almost tempted to say that the safety shouldnt last long enough for them to teleport off the island with safety, to get rid of teleport spamming scouts, but that probably wouldnt go over well.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Neoxx wrote:

Keep the safe area but have it based on a timer.  If you leave the safe area you will be vulnerable like you currently are, but you can still go back into the safe area until that timer expires.

I'm almost tempted to say that the safety shouldnt last long enough for them to teleport off the island with safety, to get rid of teleport spamming scouts, but that probably wouldnt go over well.

Yeah something like this seems reasonable.

4 (edited by Gremrod 2010-12-22 19:48:26)

Neoxx wrote:

How is that different from what I stated in removing the tele safe area and just making the syndicate timer longer?

It is still all timer based really. Either way, I think they are both good ideas.

Because then you could run a long *** way in complete protection.  The safe zone + timer keeps you in that small zone during your extended protection.

No wonder you're not a GM anymore. You just dont think.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

timer should tick off until you go outside a certain radius, then drop completely. that simple. there shouldn't be a "safe" zone on a "non-safe" island.

Contact me in game via e-mail or PM for -CS- recruitment information.

What specific issue is this trying to fix? How exactly is a safe area killing PVP?

Is it the ability to leave a scout on the gate and report movements?

Is is players porting in, seeing a gate camp, and leaving?

We're trying to fix the 'safe zone scout' that everyone currently uses.  If you get rid of that safe zone based on a timer then you'll either have to risk some time unprotected or just keep teleporting out.

You can have 'free' scouts on any beta-to-alpha teleporter, which is amazingly useful when the enemy is grouping up to come onto your island.  They always know exactly when you start to move out, which is invaluable intel.

Make it so you cant go on beta without SOME sort of risk, even if its 5 seconds of vulnerability after your timer before you can jump out, and it will improve the scouting situation immensely.  It would actually require skill and thought to scout instead of sitting afk on an alt.

In the meantime, would it be possible to develop a 'feint' strategy, i.e. make it appear as if you were mobilizing, but then taking a different route, attacking a different target, or simply not showing up at all? The first two screw up their deployment, the last with their head.

I realize that it would take more time and coordination, but could it be done?

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Yeah, you could get out of sight range and then change direction.  And with the arkhe speed nerf (94kph with t1 lwf and 10 nav) makes it easier to catch the arkhe scouts with a fitted ewar bot.

Thanks for the clarification Neoxx.

The alliance that controls the island can still leave an arkhe sitting on the gate to let incoming friendlys know the gate is clear. If it gets popped they can always send out another.

Its intersting how making the porter not safe would effect the beta Island dynamic.

First, Alliances with the resources can now gate camp and effectively control any small roaming squad. A small squad won't jump through blind (they may one time and learn thier lesson) so even 1 actual combat bot on a gate will kill the scout and warn the alliance that somone is coming.

Alliances that can't gate camp will now have more small squads roaming. The scout will raise the alert level, but unless the alliance can gather a force to start immediately for the gate, the squad will come through, kill the arhke or single combat bot on the gate, and disappear off in some unknown direction.

Personally I hate it when the enemy sits on our gate, so being able to clear it would be nice, I'm just not sure if changing that dynamic is going to be an advantage for all beta islands, or just the ones that have the ability to keep a significant force on the gate (or able to respond immediately to the intrusion).

They woudl still be able to scout free on the alpha side, but they would have to risk being killed if they wanted to jump to beta to see what the group was doing if the protection wore off completely before they could teleport off the island again.

Neoxx wrote:

They woudl still be able to scout free on the alpha side, but they would have to risk being killed if they wanted to jump to beta to see what the group was doing if the protection wore off completely before they could teleport off the island again.

How do you see the gate camping by the island owner effecting access and PVP by roaming corps?

Free scouting is stupid in a pvp area.  I have 2 alts sitting on the teleport safe zones just because I can.  Its useful as hell to have them, but I still think it shouldnt be possible to just afk scout.

Nice summary, Arga!

This really is an interesting idea, and I think it would make for a more exciting dynamic.

I think roaming corps would be able to continue roaming, but they'd have to be prepared to apply overwhelming force at any gate they wanted to use- same as anyone else, really. Reminds me of amphibious landings, fighting for a beachhead.

If this happened, though, I think the clear advantage would fall upon whichever corp was able to mobilize quickly enough to defend or force its way through a gate- so it starts to become more of a logistical question.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

Neoxx wrote:

Thanks love you too man! roll

Gremrod wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

Thanks love you too man! roll

You were my favorite GM.  But now that you're not a GM.....

18 (edited by Gremrod 2010-12-22 21:23:42)

Neoxx wrote:

Because then you could run a long *** way in complete protection.  The safe zone + timer keeps you in that small zone during your extended protection.

Well, not sure if this really holds true though. If it did then the players that undock with the syndicate safe timer would be running a long *** time away from the outpost campers.

But they don't...... and they die..... and if they did they would still die....

Even if the timer was extended a bit doesn't mean they will make it to an outpost in time.

Why not remove zone and give a timer that breaks on movement?
"Oh put they'll just pop in and out"
Not if there's a zone based cooldown to get the timer

20 (edited by Gremrod 2010-12-22 21:32:24)

Arga wrote:

What specific issue is this trying to fix? How exactly is a safe area killing PVP?

Is it the ability to leave a scout on the gate and report movements?

Is is players porting in, seeing a gate camp, and leaving?

One of the other reason besides what Neoxx mentioned about the scouts.

So we don't have any more of the "stand offs" on teleporters. Two enemy groups sitting at a teleporter safe zone doing nothing is stupid.

Gremrod wrote:

Two enemy groups sitting at a teleporter safe zone doing nothing is stupid.

Ah, but one day, someone will figure it out and have a surprise in store- that's a video I'd watch.

22 (edited by Gremrod 2010-12-22 21:47:31)

Savin wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Two enemy groups sitting at a teleporter safe zone doing nothing is stupid.

Ah, but one day, someone will figure it out and have a surprise in store- that's a video I'd watch.

Figure what out? Any player sitting in the current save zone of a teleporter is 100% safe. Nothing to figure out.

Gremrod wrote:

So we don't have any more of the "stand offs" on teleporters. Two enemy groups sitting at a teleporter safe zone doing nothing is stupid.

The stand off will just happen on the alpha side, but I see what you're saying.

I don't see this change promoting PVP. I do see it giving any alliance that can camp the beta side of a gate complete control of that gate, and the island, and stopping random roams.

Its like you say, the alliance isn't going to keep a force at the gate now, because there's no use; the enemy will just sit on the teleporter. Remove that safety, and every gate on every island will be camped, 24/7.

I abuse the safe zone mechanics a lot on the beta islands, but I still don't like them. It's the most frustrating when you go through the trouble to organize ~20 people into a squad, head out to an opposing beta island and gank nothing except arkhes for a couple of hours.

Beta islands should be more unsafe. I like the timer ideas here (either one will do).

Reefpirate wrote:

I abuse the safe zone mechanics a lot on the beta islands, but I still don't like them. It's the most frustrating when you go through the trouble to organize ~20 people into a squad, head out to an opposing beta island and gank nothing except arkhes for a couple of hours.

Beta islands should be more unsafe. I like the timer ideas here (either one will do).

You almost ganked a Termis last night  smile

So making the Islands less safe is going to promote more PVP?