26 (edited by Tux 2014-03-15 18:46:43)

Re: NPC aggression

Zoom these npc's will chase you anywhere on the island if you have a sensor amp activated trying to run away from them ....

I agree with you and say "YES" its too soon for this ..

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

just for the notice: this might interfere quite a bit with pvp

TBH i think it would be an interesting touch to spice things up for both fleets in any PvP engagement lol, last night i witnessed  an artemis MK2 die to some persistent mobs, TBH NPCs had control of most of last nights PvP over the uria SAP. fuuu

I personally like the way NPCs are now and would probably keep them, maybe just change spawn locations a bit, lol

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

28 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-03-17 22:50:11)

Burial wrote:

Perhaps, for the sake of simplicity, the modules that draw aggro should only be guns?

That could add some interesting game-play dynamics as well such as running away and getting NPCs to aggro your aggressors etc.

I would go for this. Things that go "boom" should draw attention. Nothing else in my book.

Edit. Quoted Tux for some reason first. tongue

I like them the way they are now.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Interesting.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The last live patch accidentally included something we're working on so I'd like to warn you but also ask your opinions.

NPCs have a 300 meter aggro range by default (we're talking about red NPCs).

The new thing is that when you activate certain modules within their sensor range, they will aggress you.

The modules that currently have this effect:
- Sensor amplifier
- Remote sensor amplifier
- Sensor suppressor
- Demobilizer

What this means in practice is that if you want to avoid them noticing you, you can't activate these modules in their sensor range.

This is new and certainly stirs up things a bit. The question is whether this is a good thing or not, and if it is, what modules should be included or left out?

well taking the npc density on beta into consideration its pretty much  pvp + pve at once. a lot battles might be decided by the side that attracts less npcs.

so i dont think its the best idea that essential modules attract npcs at this large range . it might affect big fleets less, but will be a total pain for small fights.

and one more point:
if the npcs are that agressive and kill you "on sight" (that means when they can detect you) then there should be no need for aktive modules. then active modules do not affect your masking. if you want to change that then this might be another story. but im not so sure if its a great idea to lower the masking when your bots have active modules or even increse that effect per actrive module...

the reaction to active modules make no sense to me.

I like it.  Had the first taste of it today.

This is another nice tactical variable.

nice job on this concept, maybe tweek here and there

Turn off the amp.

Tux wrote:

Zoom these npc's will chase you anywhere on the island if you have a sensor amp activated trying to run away from them ....

I agree with you and say "YES" its too soon for this ..

I'm torn on this and would have to see it in action on gameplay. I definitely like the concept as far as making NPCs more challenging, but it may be premature as others stated.

I think the whole static spawn system needs rethinking. At very least it is not compatible with dynamic ore spawns. Plus there is great discrepancy from one island to the next when it comes to navigating around these static spawns. Adding the addition aggression just exacerbates the problem on some islands.

But overall I like aggressive NPCs so you're on the right track making NPC 'smarter' about attacking, but limiting the modules and planting it on top of current set of statics is not thorough thinking. At least re-evaluate the placement of statics.

35 (edited by Burial 2014-03-17 11:30:59)

Here's what I think should attract NPC-s.

- All remote mods: Remote RR, remote energy, remote sensor amps
- EW: Demobs, ECM, suppressors, neuts, drainers
- Weapons
- Detectors, maskers, target markers

I agree with everything but weapons - I don't think npc hunters should be chased down unless they are in combat with them.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Burial wrote:

Here's what I think should attract NPC-s.

- All remote mods: Remote RR, remote energy, remote sensor amps
- EW: Demobs, ECM, suppressors, neuts, drainers
- Weapons
- Detectors, maskers, target markers

+1

38 (edited by Burial 2014-03-17 12:42:02)

Jita wrote:

I agree with everything but weapons - I don't think npc hunters should be chased down unless they are in combat with them.

I actually agree with you here, it would fix a lot of potential problems, as illogical as it might be to remove weaponfire. It would also fix the problem of mission NPCs getting dragged off from their right locations and objectives not completing.

but ewar can be used in pve as well. so that should not attract npcs. if you go for observers then ewar might be nessessary again with them hunting you over 1000m and on beta that will mean that you will have at least one other npc group on your tail as well.

just as example.

i rather would like to see another approach to this:

npcs should act as group and not as individuals. if you attack a single bot in a spawn then all of then should aggro. no matter if they are in the same group. and the at first aggression they should react and not when the first of their friends is about to die.

We have taken out the module connection, the no limit chase is probably a large enough step for now to get used to.

Also, teleporting:
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2014-03-19

bye bye beacons

I like the idea, maybe 1000 too much, hard to say.

Game needs to be dangerous.

Zoom when the *** did NPCs get portal guns?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.