Topic: Appealing to More New Players

When a prospective player is scouting out a new game to play or testing a game to play via a free trial one of the first things they consider is character progression.  In Perpetuum this leads the prospective player to the Extension Point system.  At this point they quickly learn that there is a tremendous numerical gap between themselves and veteran players that will never lessen.  I believe that most people don't bother researching any further because they just aren't interested in playing a game that seemingly puts them at a permanent disadvantage to some players regardless of what they do.

I don't want to argue if there really is a disadvantage or how small/negligible the disadvantage is in this thread.  The point I'm making is it seems huge to new players and it does not lessen ever.  This puts them off and they don't consider the game any further.

Some people have suggested wiping everyone's EP before the STEAM release.  I think this will upset too many veterans and cause other issues with regards to game mechanics.  Furthermore it won't deal with the problem long term.

I want to suggest a small change to the current EP system which I call the “Graduated Extension Point Gain Rate System” (GEPS for short).  The system is fairly simple to understand and comes down to a single fact: If account A has less accumulated EP than account B, then account A will gain more EP/min than account B.  As the the total amount of accumulated EP approaches the same value between the two accounts, the rate at which they will gain EP will approach the same value also. 

Consequences of using GEPS:

• EP Gaps between players will lessen over time instead of staying static.

• A veteran player will always maintain an EP advantage over a newer player regardless of how long they both play.

• Point Cost of Extensions might have to be balanced/increased at lower levels.

• New players might gain access to more aspects of this game at an increased rate.  This would depend on the possible re-balancing of the Extensions and if this effect is desirable (I think it is).

• No need for an EP wipe.

The goal of GEPS is to make it feel to the new player that they are “catching up” with veteran players.  This catching up feeling will be reminiscent of most experience point systems players are used to and thus not a deterrent to playing the game.

The actual amount that a new player would get in comparison to the most veteran player is debatable.  I suggest a new player get 3x the EP/min that the “most veteran” account would get.  Below is how the math would play out using the current system and GEPS.

Comparing the EP accumulation of a new account vs a “most veteran” account of 3 years.

Currently:
days until new account has 10% of the EP of a veteran account: ~91
days until new account has 25% of the EP of a veteran account: ~328
days until new account has 50% of the EP of a veteran account: ~1039 (2.85 years)
days until new account has 75% of the EP of a veteran account: ~3174 (8.70 years)

GEPS (3x):
days until new account has 10% of the EP of a veteran account: ~30
days until new account has 25% of the EP of a veteran account: ~109
days until new account has 50% of the EP of a veteran account: ~346
days until new account has 75% of the EP of a veteran account: ~1057 (2.9 years)

Re: Appealing to More New Players

Another Consideration:

Right now when you make a trial account you are given 20k EP to spend and if you decide to subscribe you get another 20k right away.  This is quite a bit of EP for a new player and they can get quite a few low level Extensions for it.  Then they hit a wall and only gain 1440 EP for the following day which might not even be enough to buy the next extension level they want.  I personally found this very frustrating going from getting so many extensions to getting none/little.

With GEPS new players would get increased EP/min anyways so we can reduce the 20k/20k EP granted at the start of the game.  Maybe 10k/10k?  With some luck this might even reduce the amount of trial account exploitations we have in the game.

A Possible Way to Expand on GEPS:

Tie it in with Assignments/Missions.  Give anyone that completes an Assignment the increased EP/min rate for a length of time like 4 hours to a maximum of 24 hours.  This would give new players the feeling that they are doing something in game to lessen that gap between them and the veteran players and a reason to keep coming back to the game and play it for a few hours each day and develop friendships in-game with others.

The Common Argument Against GEPS:

“The current EP system we have in place actually doesn't give that huge an advantage to veteran players after XX months.  There's no need to change it.”

I've heard all kinds of variations of this argument.  Regardless of if there is and advantage or not new players see the tremendous EP gap and often look no further.  You've lost that prospective player before he has a chance to learn the reasons behind your point of view. 

If you truly believe that there isn't much of an advantage after XX months then I ask you a counter question:  Isn't it worth giving up *some* of that “not much advantage” to get significantly more new players into the game?

3 (edited by Kokomut 2014-02-17 20:21:14)

I don't oppose this, but at the same time if they implement account sell/transfer option it would serve the same effect for the players but more revenue for the devs. Account transfer/ name change is one of the best moves eve did to make the new player feel like they can work their way up.

4 (edited by Cassius 2014-02-17 21:12:23)

Edit: Because I hate iphones

5 (edited by Cassius 2014-02-17 21:15:10)

In this game you cannot level up in a week.

You need patience to play this game.

These two concepts form part of the core business model. My preference is they dont change.
In fact in regards to the current EP allowances I think they need to change it for starting players.

The current 20k starting EP plus the 20k bonus EP and added to the additional 20 160 EP a new player can earn over the course of his/her 2 week trial allows a new player to essentially step into a heavy mech within their first month of gameplay. While the train of thought seems to be more EP = happier and more skilled = sub for game, I think in reality it has backfired completely.

What is happening is new players rush into mechs and heavies because of the "bigger is better" mentality and completely skip the light and assault bots. This results in a player sitting in a mech and heavy with absolutely minimal supplemental skills and unable to do anything effectively, resulting in a very frustrated new player who is unlikely to remain in game.

In short, too much EP upfront harms the player. This isn't a simple game. Players need to play and learn the basics and tactics before getting better.

I propose a different system. Start with 20k EP. Sub, and at the date your character is 3 months old, recieve a retention "bonus" of 60k EP. This way a new player has played the game for a few months, actually understands and have practiced the basic techniques, and has an appreciation of what EP is, its frequency, and where to spend it.

Do this at Steam launch.

Because this (in total) extra 20k EP would be given to new players but not vets, give them the same 20k EP bonus as a "thanks for being loyal" bonus and as "quit *** other dudes got free EP and you didn't stfu".

A far better system IMO ... Most companies today offer retention bonuses in tight labour markets to their employees if they stay a set period of time, rarely do they offer a bonus up front with no strings attached because the recipient can simply leave ... This logic also works for this game.

Been gone over many times. I think the best solution is just more content especially the kind that separates vets from the newbies.

Burial wrote:

Been gone over many times. I think the best solution is just more content especially the kind that separates vets from the newbies.

More content I fear will just frustrate new players with less EP even more unless you're making it low EP content.  If so, what is this content?  is it quick to program in?  will it cause balancing issues?  These are all questions that have to be answered.  It also doesn't deal with the huge gap that never lessens for new players. 

I don't think this is a viable solution.  In fact this solution is basically saying "let's continue as is" because the game is going to continue to add more content anyways.  The game has quite a bit of content.  New players just have to wait (too long for most people) for the EP to actually use the content effectively.

Finally, developing new content is considerably more programmatically intensive than just changing the rate that an account would gain EP at.  So it's defiantly not a faster solution.

8 (edited by Chemist 2014-02-17 22:00:14)

Another ep-gap-topic? Zaebali, pidorasy... fuuu

I need a new alt! Damn... wait so long. Oh! Will create another topic about the gap.

Cassius

I agree with much of what you said.  While your system might deal with the issue right now (I'm not entirely convinced though) It doesn't scale into the future when EP of veterans continues to grow.  It would have to be updated all the time.

Personally I found getting quite a few extensions all at once then dropping to such a slow rate of EP gain was very frustrating.  Maybe this isn't true for everyone.  Ultimately though we both are talking about increased EP for newer accounts.  You suggest a total of about 210,000 EP for an account of 3 months old.  Mine is sitting considerably higher at almost 400,000 EP.  However I also suggested upping the low level extensions requirement a bit.  Also you could use 2x or 1.5x system but I don't think that would be enough to really entice new players.

Finally, your system doesn't address this huge numerical gap that new players see.  As burial said, "been gone over many times".  It's something that is seriously considered by people and isn't a non-issue.

Chemist wrote:

I need a new alt! Damn... wait so long. Oh! Will create another topic about the gap.

For my needs, the game (and EP system) is fine as is, and no I don't need another alt.  I want more players in the game though.  I don't think you took any time to even read my post before you decided to flame on it.  Please keep your comments constructive in the future when responding to my posts.

Kokomut wrote:

I don't oppose this, but at the same time if they implement account sell/transfer option it would serve the same effect for the players but more revenue for the devs. Account transfer/ name change is one of the best moves eve did to make the new player feel like they can work their way up.

This would be another way of dealing with the issue also but only if there were enough people selling to make the prices reasonable.  With the STEAM release, I'm not sure that would be the case.  Also people like the feeling of personal achievement.  If you start an account at 0 EP and work it up from there there's a sense of achievement that isn't quite the same as paying 200$ for an account that has more EP.

On the other hand, being the realist I am, I realize that more veterans this system more acceptable and it would provide another source of income for the Dev's.  I would consider this an acceptable compromise.  I just want the issue dealt with.

I've said it many times over, and I agree with you Fini, and also like your suggestion. But it seems they won't listen to these suggestions at this stage, and it worries me. But I can only hope to be proven wrong. Alot of vets don't think it's a problem, and think new players should stick with it or "gtfo". I think there is room for changes like the ones you suggest, and have more peeps stay and play this wonderfull little game longer. I would have liked to see something like this before steam release, but I don't know if we will ever see this. And I'm afraid it could hinder this game from really taking off. But who knows... It sure hasn't been taking off yet with the system we have at least.

Actually a group of many, will always kill a group of a few.

This comes down to leaders, and how players choose to fit.

I dont mean to point back at STC, but we have been running just assaults and ewars against mechs, and heavy's, and we win, and lose.

A even larger force could do this with even more effectiveness.

40K EP at the start is quite a bit of EP.  You can get into any heavy that you wish, and you can get into any Mech, with ok support skills.  IF you know what your doing.  This is a gap of knowledge not of EP.

You are looking at the Vets, who are basically running out of stuff to train and saying "I want to be there."

In three years you will be smile, we had to go through the same growing pains as you did.

Acc Transfer is always a good idea, Name change is NEVER A GOOD IDEA, NEVER.

Transfer should be no more then 15 USD.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle:

Like I said before, I don't want to get into if the current system is fair or not.  That is not the issue I was attempting to solve.  Please don't derail this topic into what you can and can't do at the start or XX months into the game or go around pronouncing that new players can win against vets in some situations.

When someone is looking at potential games to play, Perpetuum has a very small window of time to impress that person enough to get him to play.  It's like trying to pick up a girl, she's pretty much decided in the first 10 seconds.  Or an interviewer looking at 500 resumes.  Coffee stain on this one?  >> trash!

A new player rarely will take the time to learn why this EP system is acceptable despite the huge gap that never lessens.

Another issue I have with the account transfer model is that it puts this game squarely into the "pay to win" category.  Skill and all other aspects being equal, the person that pays more $$ for more EP will win.  I'm not sure if the Devs of this game wants to head down that path.

Also, I have a hard time understanding why players are ok with the account transfer but not the increased EP rate?  Ultimately you end up in the same situation.  The new player paid for an account and has X EP instantly or he got EP more rapidly and ended up with X EP in a few months/years.  The only difference is, you exclude the people that can't or don't want to pay for all the EP at once.

All this gap topic to me seems to just be a matter of perception. You guys keep saying that new players wont want to continue playing a game because they are SEEMINGLY at a permanent disadvantage. Just make a little blurb in the tutorial explaining the cost of extensions and how they rise dramatically at higher levels and how this helps to even the so called ep gap. Everything you want to do is just a way of making players feel like they are catching up, when in reality it has very little to do with their ability to be competitive.

Curious if after all these years EVE has new players starting? That seems like an  even bigger disadvantage there.

The extension costs here are set up in such a way that they cost the vets way more for smaller increases than it does new players in the beginning. So a new player makes extension gains much quicker and more effectively than vets. This system is actually the same system you are proposing, just done from a different direction.

So you want to make new players not only earn ep faster but ALSO have much cheaper and more effective extensions as well? This seems like too much to me. I dont think it helps anything long term, it just makes them feel the effect of 1 ep/min even more when they get to that point. Plus it gives them that much more ep that they are gonna blow on useless skills that they didn't know any better to not train... I am almost with Cassius that new players get too much too soon and spend it having no clue what they are doing.

Any veteran worth his salt could create a character today and wipe the floor with vets and newbs alike. Strictly because of the knowledge they have on how to do so, its not the lack of ep.

Please don't think this is me not wanting new players to catch up or whatever. We all want to increase player retention etc. I just am not convinced that doing such a thing would help with it, in fact it might make things worse.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Its a good system, as the game grows and new skills and equipment types are implemented the gulf between new and old players will just get larger.  Right now its a choice between 4 bot types, what about when new bots become available, what about glider class assaults and lights?  These things and new equipment with their own set of skills are "hopefully" going to happen at some point, and old players just have saved up unspent EP.  They will simply log on and max out all the new content, while new players will have to save up and work towards the new content for months or possibly even a year + if they don't specialize.....  Why not impalement this EP curve now and accept that it will be almost required to happen at some point.  Take EVE as an example... Why don't I play eve?  I played eve for 6 months and was just getting to the point where I was competent as a stealth bomber pilot.  And by competent I simply mean I could fly, it and had a chance to not die instantly when I came under fire.  This EP system doesn't hurt anyone but it has the possibility to help retain new players, and it shouldn't be overlooked or under valued

Finibhire .. I wonder a few things.

If new players were given the maximum amount of EP to enter the game with equaling many of the Veteran players do you think they would have more or less fun in the first 6 months of playing? My vote is less fun

If the Ep system is designed to only benefit new players then why would a new player stay around after finding out that the mechanic will no longer benefit him at a specific point and then only benefit someone else who started playing after he did?  << you  will not attract new players I assure you. 

I do not mean to be dismissive but why should new players get any benefit over players that have been here longer?

As a "Veteran player" continuing to pay and play this game why should some one just coming into the game be able to catch up to me in Experience Points ( assuming we both put the same level of time into the game)?

What you are asking for will not be balanced / fair / or good for the game in the long run. People who want to grind to level 80 in a few weeks are not made for this game so what should the Devs even consider accommodating them?

Trust me when I say many of the Vets still around have had it WAY worse than new players have it today so i think that is enough of a bonus to them, they only need patients to realize their dreams and ambitions.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

18 (edited by Cassius 2014-02-18 06:03:06)

Shadow is right, its about perception, not reality.

Fin, you have roughly 400 k EP which has cost you a rough investment of $95 into this game, assuming a basic rate of $10 per month. Because EP costs are EXACTY THE SAME for every player, by comparison I have invested $300 +/- for Cassius.

Should you be allowed to have cheaper EP than me? No. What happens in 6 months when a new player joins, he will be behind you ... should we reset the system again because he will never catch up to you? Never mind me ... No.

This is intended to be a static and constant game, there is no start or finish, its a persistent world. EP is not the only thing that separates a new player from a vet. As mentinoned I have spent more, there is a gap there ... Also I have invested more time (re experience) I'm at 89 days online while you are at 40 ... should we be the same? No. Will you ever catch up? No, assuming we continue to play the same. I also have modest wealth in the game, a few Bill NiC in assets, does a new player have this? No. Do you think giving him this will help him stay? Not at all.

The only way you can play and last in this game is by playing it. You yourself pointed out that the sense of accomplishment by waiting and patiently investing in something and having it work at the end  feels like you've done something .... having things easier takes that away, and for me that has been the key component of keeping me in this game.

I am very proud of killing a rank 4 ewar npc, with a rank 2 assault, in a light bot while still in trial. I lost many many bots trying to farm this simple spawn simply because it was tough for my skill, and it was challenging ... and I learned the method of kiting, and every single aspect of fitting modules to make kiting more effective, range of weapons, sensor amps, speed of bots, suppressors.

I artifacted early, still do, and I could solo Rank I and II Observer stashes on alpha with an assault, and the Rank III stashes with an assault Mk2 bot, but it took awhile. I was 7 months in game before I stepped into my first mech. I got into a Heavy around 650 k EP and spent another 175k EP just on fitting skills, adding to already good fitting skills, just so I could fly it the way I wanted. (my PvP record says otherwise, lol) ...

There is a gap between new and vet but its not EP, its experience ... and you cannot buy, or accelerate it.
The only thing you can do is give a new player a reason to commit to this game long enough for them to understand what its about ... then they will play. Other than content, giving a retention bonus 3 or 4 months into the game will go much much farther towards keeping the player, rather than more up front.  Make the first three months tough, and give the player who survives it a sense of accomplishment that they actually did something, and they will be confident moving forward, and competent in how the game actually works.

Did ya even read what I wrote?

This isnt a EP problem this is a human/not enough stuff in the game problem.

Cass summed it all up greatly.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Chemist wrote:

+1

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Perp has always had a time progression. Not sure if your argument that it will be a turn off to new players is valid.. EvE has a time progression system, doesn't seem to put off new players in that game. I think there are other things that would deter a new player from sticking with the game rather than time based progression.

Cassius sums it up pretty well..

Agree with accelerated EP generation for new players.

Early access player here. I don't get butthurt if newer players have it easier than I had.

Tux:

If new players were given the maximum amount of EP to enter the game with equaling many of the Veteran players do you think they would have more or less fun in the first 6 months of playing? My vote is less fun.

Agreed.  I made this very point when responding to an alternative system where buying/selling of accounts could be done though Avatar Creations directly.  It's not fun to buy all your EP at once.  It's fun to build it up over time which my system does.

GEPS does not "only benifit new players".  In fact I showed that Veterans will maintain their EP advantage regardless.  This is not the case for most games.  Most games there is a "max level" where only skill separates players.  GEPS still gives the EP advantage to Veterans.

I do not mean to be dismissive but why should new players get any benefit over players that have been here longer?

They don't!  They still have less EP than a Veteran?  How is this an advantage to the new player?  Also, even if this was true, I answered it already.  We want more new players in the game.  I have never once suggested my system was fair to Veterans, just that it is acceptable cost to bring in new blood.

What you are asking for will not be balanced / fair / or good for the game in the long run. People who want to grind to level 80 in a few weeks are not made for this game so what should the Devs even consider accommodating them?

I feel like I'm talking to a wall... look up, 3 years to get 75% of the EP of a veteran.  How is this even remotely close to "grind to level 80 in a few weeks"?  I get tired of hearing this argument.  And your opinion about how it wouldn't be fair to (veterans?) if we used GEPS is not supported by any facts, or well-though theories that I've been made aware of.

Finibhire wrote:

I feel like I'm talking to a wall... look up, 3 years to get 75% of the EP of a veteran.  How is this even remotely close to "grind to level 80 in a few weeks"?  I get tired of hearing this argument.  And your opinion about how it wouldn't be fair to (veterans?) if we used GEPS is not supported by any facts, or well-though theories that I've been made aware of.

For vets, each 43200 EP costed $9.95. Why should someone get those cheaper just because they joined later?

THAT'S what will be really unfair.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Cassius:

Yes, my system would ultimately reduce the real dollar value per EP of characters.  So basically, when you look at it that way, the game is a "pay to win" game.  If you want to follow that model that's fine.  Let people buy EP for accounts or transfer old accounts to new players.

Right now the whole transfer of account has to be done privately or though third party websites.  The dev's might as well legitimize it and provide there own system for doing so if they want to continue this model.

GEPS is an alternative to that "buy your EP" system.

Should you be allowed to have cheaper EP than me? No.

Many games out there came to the conclusion "yes".  As many games add more and more content the "leveling up content" becomes easier.  As I said above, if you want to follow a static $$ per EP value on a "pay to win" model it's a valid approach but not the only approach.

Do you think giving him this will help him stay? Not at all.

You've mentioned many times that handouts don't work.  I agree.  I suggested tieing GEPS into the mission/assignment system.  It doesn't come as a handout either (like lump sums of EP of 20k/20k) it's earned over time just like current EP is earned over time. 

I could solo Rank I and II Observer stashes...

I've asked a few times not to degenerate this topic into a discussion of what is possible to do after XX months and if it is fair.  That is not the issue I'm trying to discuss.  I'm trying to make the game more appealing to prospective players.  Most of which never make it as far as downloading the trial because of the tremendous numerical EP gap.

For future reference also, I think we are all aware that there is also a skill gap along with an EP gap.  However to say because there is also a skill gap the EP gap doesn't matter is an invalid argument.  If you had two players of equal skill playing the person with more EP wins.  Thus EP does matter enough to decide the outcome of equal skill players.

Besides skill gap has no bearing on my argument.  Most prospective players will reject Perpetuum without further consideration upon learning of the tremendous numerical EP gap that will never lessen between them and a veteran player.