51 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-02-20 13:34:00)

Re: Appealing to More New Players

Kokomut wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

because we don't have a marketing budget. At all.

And you could argue that we don't need marketing to keep existing players, and you would be somewhat right. However, there is no such thing as 100% player retention. Everyone will leave sooner or later, and healthy MMOs work because they can combat this by constantly bringing in enough new players.

Hi Devs, it's been mentioned before but you can minimize marketing cost simply by establishing a referral program, get 1 to join, get a month for free or something along that line. That is the cheapest marketing with minimal effort on your part

Man that is a request that is so old its not funny smile BUt yeah never got why the DEVs were so against it. seems a no brainier imo

Cassius wrote:

The reason I disagree with your premise is because its wrong. I know many many players who have quit. Very few if any cited an EP gap as the main or even important reason.

As a Long time player who has been in many corps & had many friends from many different corps tongue I must agree with you Cass.
A few of the top reasons ive heard from people leaving the game: Boring PVE, Small player base, DEVs changing their mind every other hour, No endgame content, No new Content / taking to long, It takes forever to get around, M2S, CIR, STC, Lemon, Syndic, Merkle, Ville, Walls 1.0, Intrusion 2.0, The Community is to toxic,

Thats just a few reasons that immediately jump to my mind. lol

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

52 (edited by Finibhire 2014-02-20 14:09:48)

At this point, all argument new arguments have just been reiterations of things I've already responded to.  There are some reiterations of a valid argument being that my premise is false and that people don't reject even starting the game because of the EP system.  Many of them site that they've talked to many people that have quit the game and the reasons those people quit the game.  I'm not talking about player retention, I'm talking about appealing to them before they even download the trial.  I have responded to this already in my response to DEV Zoom and ultimately it's a difference of opinion.  I realize now that my response to DEV Zoom isn't robust enough to really drive home why my opinion has more valid evidence backing it than the theory that my premise is false. 

I could write a response or a new post addressing the issue around my premise in detail and hopefully more clarity however I think it's kinda pointless right now.  This is a recurring issue on the forums and regardless there is never any compromise on the issue.  The general response is always "live with it, love it, or gtfo".  And the truth of the mater is, that a significant amount of people do gtfo because of it (most of the time that this happens before they even download the trial). 

If I decide to write a more detailed explanation of my premise I'll show why people gtfo before they even download the trial over this issue.  However I think there is little point in doing so right now.  I'm arguing with people that are unwilling to compromise or deny there is an issue there in the first place despite the constant debate on the forums.  People are just too set in their ways.

It's not out of this world to think that most people don't extensively research the game they would like to play beforehand. Most of them (how few there are) just start a trial and get put off by choice paralysis (personally, I think they already get too much EP to begin with for exactly this reason), deafening General Chat silence and other sandbox-related diseases.

But, stating there's an EP gap suggests the EP difference between new players and veterans is permanent. Your proposal of EP accumulation that catches up to veteran players underlines this further. Yet, EP does in fact get worth less when you have more of it, obviously because it costs more to raise higher levels (spiking at level 6 and 10). Also, these levels simply provide linear advantages (or, in most industrial areas, diminishing returns - which is even worse).

Your premise notwithstanding (at this point just an opinion, and as valid as any), it's your logic as far as how effective EP is over time that truly bothers me.

... at which point it does come down to perception. Which, well, how unexpected, is a marketing issue.

Doek, though I had no intention of responding any further to this thread I would like to recognize the value of your point about how people don't do much research beforehand.  I see your point and I'll reiterate it in my own words: all they have to be is interested enough to try it out and then there are plenty of reasons for them to stay (paralysis included).  Thus there's a chance they never considered the EP system/gap before they got hooked into the game. 

If there's one thing I do believe in, it's how lazy people can be.  So yes maybe new don't consider the EP system often enough such that any changes to it would would not effect how many people would want to try out the game.  But then again you could say this about any feature of the game.  So theoretically if you subscribe to this logic changing almost any aspect of the game would have negligible effect on enticing or pushing away new players.  The only thing that would matter is marketing.

This might be the case.  I hope to god it isn't the state of our society to be this lazy, but it might be the case.

I see merit in the last two posts, but as I stated earlier its exactly the ep gap that drove me away from eve.  That's not an issue with me personally because I've been playing along time, however, as the game progresses it will become more of an issue here as it was with eve.

Since the announcement of gama reset I've found I have almost nothing to work towards.  IE  endgame is important.  As in in eve when I couldn't join all my friends in the intrusions events because I choose to specialize in a direction that didn't make it possible for me.  So here in perp it will also become an issue when new players want to venture past alphas and find there not qualified to run with the big dogs.

56 (edited by Celebro 2014-02-20 23:44:31)

If you want to be a soldier , and feel rewarded in what you have accomplished and learned in the long term, when things finally go your way play Perpetuum.

If you want to be a hero from the start play all other mmos out there. (except just a few)

Appealing for something different also makes , players bored of the same old mmo games, look elsewhere for game like these.

RIP PERPETUUM

According to PMs he's writing, he doesn't even see a difference between alpha damage and dps. Such experienced player of course can give us all a tip or two about how this game should really work.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086