Topic: Critical hits done differently

I understand that now CH are just a certain chance to deal more damage, which is not too interesting for me, mechanism-wise.  Combat in Perpetuum is not unlike WWI-era dreadnoughts: shoot your load at your optimal range of engagement, maintain that range and whittle away enemy armor.

What also happened at times, and is reflected in games on that period, is the lucky shot that disabled an engine, blew a turret and the like. In the game, that would mean critical hits having a small chance of directly damaging modules, bypassing armor, instead of a small chance of more attrition. This would make combat more chaotic, and the outcome a bit less automatic. Obviously, the chance would have to very small, a few %, to be determined by playtest.

Too radical?

Re: Critical hits done differently

they would need to implement hitzones or module damage first to bring something like that in.

If i remember the Q&A Session, there was something about that.

3 (edited by Thierry 2010-12-20 00:36:09)

Re: Critical hits done differently

Localization is not necessarily, just hit a random module based on its share of the total volume.  Damage is already there, so your module simply ceases working and the amount of damage determines the cost of repair at the station.

The tricky stuff would be if others module were depending on the damaged one (say a co-reactor stops working and then everything is in overload).