Topic: Idea: new Alpha Island (Terraformable, able to build structure)

Hello,

now Im certain im not the first one asking for such a feature but I might can offer some new insights.

Anyway let me clarify a couple things first, I love PvP, I want PvP but there is none. Since Im playing I got into 2 fights and I guess that is considered alot but really its nothing. So what can you do in this game that is FUN besides pvp ? I keep hearing more players will fix this issue - well I doubt it. Simply because there were more players 6 months ago when I tried this game out the first time.

So what can a new player do?

- There is mission grinding, that lasts for a couple of days maybe and then its absolutely boring.

- Go AFK and mine. Or Semi AFK and Harvest. Maybe produce a newb robot no ones gonna buy anyway.

Now thats the first Impression People will get from this game. It has no point and is boring.

You need to give players something to do that is fun and keeps them playing and tease them with features which are more complex on pvp enabled islands!

So show new players features which set your game apart from the crowd!

- Create a probably 3 new alpha islands and strip them from recources.

- Create a "special" terminal which can be placed by players only on these islands (limit it to 1 per account, reuse gamma structure model)

- This "special" terminal will mark a small part of the land surrounding it as that players land and enable this player to terraform here, place more structures, and seed recources (as in being able to plant helio and the other alpha plants)

- very important: As soon as the account which owns such a terminal unsubs, all his buildings (and items within) will decay fast and get destroyed, plants can stay and be harvested by other players. It would be even better if any terraforming done by him will also "erode" and go back to its natural form. (As a developer myself this last feature "eroding" might be too difficult or too time consuming to implement. so workaround by severely limiting the terraforming ability itself, as in reduce the max height)

Now giving players some kind of personal home usually motivates people to stay, to get more involved in things and once they realize they can build more, bigger, better things on gamma they might want to try and ... we get pvp hopefully.

Im certain this would be doable to implement without too much time consumption and would create alot of entertainment for new and old players alike.

Re: Idea: new Alpha Island (Terraformable, able to build structure)

When I first read the manifesto, this was during the EVE exodus, this was pretty much what I imagined player-built colonies were going to be like. Just a small area in which to carve out your piece of the map.

3 (edited by Celebro 2013-05-13 20:53:14)

The idea of having player housing universally available everywhere would have been ideal, it would have taken much longer to balance, specially the problem of spamming countless terminals in a safe island with no consequences or risk as long as you are actively playing, which is out of the question, as there is limited space available.

We will come to this in around a year or 2, because just improving the research system is taking 4+ months and we are still waiting, let alone adding new content,(just stating facts).

If you have read the latest 3 dev blogs you would figured out, they are fixing the foundations of the game(research,missions,instances, and getting 'steam ready') and that alone is going to take the whole of 2013 development, if we are lucky. I still believe this is the priority, and will fix certain issues you mention.

RIP PERPETUUM

4 (edited by Abyss 2013-05-13 22:01:01)

Well you are right with that Celebro, however the research tree is something completely new and for player housing as I mentioned they should be able to "recycle" code from the gamma islands. But yeah I still agree that this will take time and even if the devs suddenly want to implement this, chances are we wont see it this year.

However this should not stop us from thinking about ways how to improve this game.

And I also wanted to add the following to my original idea:

We could add tiers to the player built structures on these islands, but with a catch of course. In order to upgrade your player terminal into something more fancy looking you will need special materials which can only be aquired through certain means:

- A special recource only found on gamma or beta islands and necessary to do any upgrading together with tokens found from artifact hunting or having the max relation with a faction.

- Also that gamma recource should not be a plant or ore (otherwise people who have gammas simply would sell it and get more rich without creating conflict for pvp) but a form of energy you have to charge your own spark by staying on or doing special tasks on beta or gamma and is absolutely not tradeable.

So basically you can have an achievement system which gives players fancy objects to place on their land even. Of course lots of pvp achievements, gamma achievements whatever. Heck the steam achievements could reward you ingame tokens for special buildings!

Okay maybe I got a bit off track now but this would be awesome.

What I can do on Gamma currently?  Everything safely.  GG.  Spend a few bill and you too can do this.  But your right this game does need is a teaser into the content.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

IF there will be such a system then there will be Ville/Syndic/Me/%insert_name_here% who will think that its just funny to spam buildings on such islands just for teh lulz and griefing. So limitations should be much harder and complicated or newbies will be unable to use this feature anyway.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Only Active subs and 1 terminal per account, as soon as sub runs out things blow up after a few days. As such trial accounts can visit these islands, look at what people did, get teased and sub. There is not gonna be a possibility to spam terminals unless you plan on running 3k accounts continuesly for years to cover every last free space for a long time - and even then simply copy and paste the same island next to it.

However what I posted is only the raw idea, I assume we the community and developers will have further input to refine such a system to make it foolproof before implementation.

Celebro wrote:

The idea of having player housing universally available everywhere would have been ideal, it would have taken much longer to balance, specially the problem of spamming countless terminals in a safe island with no consequences or risk as long as you are actively playing, which is out of the question, as there is limited space available.

Easily countered by making alpha MPC terminals pay rent to the NPC factions. Rent amount has to be dynamic - the more there is demand, the bigger the rents are.

It all opens countless doors for interesting "game mechanics" though. lol

9 (edited by Celebro 2013-05-14 16:00:00)

These alpha islands will eventually be spammed with terminals when the population increases, not to mention some players have +10 accounts, so this has to be thought out first, and if like you said there are no resources. What's the point in building there? What are the incentives?

There needs to be some form of spam control. These come to mind: corporation wars on these alpha islands, a decay mechanism, high rental fees or waves NPC insurgents that attack terminals every so often.

Edit: Burial, didn't see your post. big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM

10 (edited by Arga 2013-05-14 18:31:30)

Celebro wrote:

What's the point

Aside from all the answers of how to address making this work, the better question is if it's worth the effort.

Player housing in MMO's is a place where you can get away from the world, maybe do some crafting and some decorating, have a few friends over, ect.

Terminals don't provide anything but a harbor.

There is no, and can be no, advantage between docking at an alpha terminal and docking at a 'personal' terminal, other than a long boring robot ride to get there; even less reasons with sparks.

The concept of 'housing' just doesn't translate to Perp.

Colony's, terminals + buildings, is the real draw. And that is just not going to happen on an alpha island.

tl;dr - Too much dev time, not enough game play benefit.

Arga wrote:

tl;dr - Too much dev time, not enough game play benefit.

and no new idea either...

The more critical point in this is to discuss the benefits you should be allowed to have from alpha player build structure.
Strip all resources but allow plants? What about the plants that can be harvested, they are resources. What about NPC beacons, that are in a certain degree resources as well. How to deal, that if this island contains NPCs you will ever have the possibilitiy to make NPC farming that easy, that it can be done by autonomous macros.

If you allow on alpha a player build facility you reduce usability of alpha terminals and outposts.

+1 that it might be good idea to give new player the freedom to learn terraforming on save haven, as terraforming an area in the shape you like is not the easiest task in game.

In our opinion "player housing" would only work if everyone could have real private hangars in terminals. We don't have to worry about land restrictions there, it could have all kinds of upgrade options so you could have a real HQ you can call home where everything is better (facility boosts, maybe forget the unlimited storage and have upgrades for that, bring back 3D hangar with decorative upgrade options, etc.).

Old 3D hangar would be a good update. What keeps you back anyway?

DEV Zoom wrote:

In our opinion "player housing" would only work if everyone could have real private hangars in terminals. We don't have to worry about land restrictions there, it could have all kinds of upgrade options so you could have a real HQ you can call home where everything is better (facility boosts, maybe forget the unlimited storage and have upgrades for that, bring back 3D hangar with decorative upgrade options, etc.).

What? real private hangers?

RIP PERPETUUM

Customizable per person is what I meant, unlike the current uniform holo-whatever we have currently.

Hard to make player housing for a computer virus enslaving a robot from earth.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

It's not like we can't bend the story if it makes a better game.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Customizable per person is what I meant, unlike the current uniform holo-whatever we have currently.

Meh, put it on the back burner, and finish what you said on your blogs+ more bots smile

RIP PERPETUUM

Sure, this is just an idea for the future.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Sure, this is just an idea for the future.

Being able to decorate your holo space would make for some nice cash shop items too.

Also, a corporate holo-hanger that shows everyone that is in the terminal (guild hall) would also be $$$.

Open world Alpha PBS terminals/Terraforming, pass.

22 (edited by Abyss 2013-05-15 19:43:25)

Okay now talking about customizable hangars in terminals got me.

If we take this idea abit further what if when we dock on the main alpha terminals we instead enter some kind of city? We would be not controlling a robot but the spark itself and able to walk around in these terminals. And then there might be a door that leads to a seperate hangar which is instanced for every player and corp, where you can look at your robot from all sides and also be able to built a couple structures inside your hangar to upgrade and get facility boosts.

actual useable content > fluff

the interior terminal customization idea are not bad but i think its about 4 years away. there is much much more important things that need to be added before we get something flashy to look at while trying to break spin counter records.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

DEV Zoom wrote:

This is a +1 from me.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

These could also become an instanced tutorial for new players to learn and get a taste of terraforming and MPC construction.

RIP PERPETUUM