Re: Terraforming undoing

Yeah, EVE invented jump bridges already.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

You guys are still missing the important point here.  Erosion only happens with the migration of sediment by... Rain!  and since it never rains on Nia then there's no erosion!  Seriously though a nice undo button is a great way to cover your tracks and or a highly powerful offensive tool.

Crusader wrote:

You guys are still missing the important point here.  Erosion only happens with the migration of sediment by... Rain!  and since it never rains on Nia then there's no erosion!  Seriously though a nice undo button is a great way to cover your tracks and or a highly powerful offensive tool.

wind causes erosion

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

There's no *** wind on Nia either.  Erosion will cause me to stop playing.  I have a *** load of time, nic and planning tied up on my islandS.  Something I don't want to have to redo like pointless *** walls.

30 (edited by Burial 2013-03-27 12:50:10)

I don't want any erosion either but not because I've spend NIC and time on terraforming. There is already a tool for modifying landscape you don't like.

31 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-27 14:13:37)

technically speaking, if a planet has an atmosphere it has wind.  And since we have fog on Nia, there is an atmosphere, so there must be wind.  And to further this point,  if there is enough water vapor to form fog, then there is enough vapor to form higher altitude clouds which would then generate rain.

Erosion is not limited to just water.  Erosion can happen from ice, glaciers, snow, wind, water, gravity, and tectonic shift.  So no, erosion does not only happen from rain.

I have found reason within this topic to want erosion in the game.

33 (edited by Crusader 2013-03-27 18:57:14)

Martha Stuart wrote:

Erosion is not limited to just water.  Erosion can happen from ice, glaciers, snow, wind, water, gravity, and tectonic shift.  So no, erosion does not only happen from rain.

Items in bold are caused by water, or have root cause of water. 

Items in Red Do not CAUSE erosion but actually prohibit it.

Erosion is caused by the migration of sediment over time by water and wind(lols).  Things that help prohibit the migration of sediment are different techniques of stabilization, for example: Plants.  Because after 10 minutes of time, plants magically appear on freshly terraformed areas, it is clear that the freshly terraformed areas are immediately stabilized by root masses in the soil.  Further providing the fact that erosion does not exist in Nia and should not exist.  Also it should be noted that there is no Snow, or Glaciers, or WIND.  Since th fog magically appears we can conclude that high flying clouds magically drop instantly to the ground, and the Wind forced used to guide them would be in a downward pattern.  Causing further stabilization to the land masses by creating a reverse effect on the migration patterns of typical soil.  This is further proven when the fog is magically lifted suddenly.  By what would seem by the FM technique.  What is the FM technique you might ask, well it's F*cking Magic, thats what it is.

So if we are "technically" speaking Martha, I don't think you have enough of a technicial background in erosion control and techniques to even discuss that.  Although googling "Things that cause erosion."  Might make you an expert, in real world applications and in "theory" you have no Idea whats going on.

Water erosion, technically, is caused by the friction of water molecules (Just like Wind is the friction of air born particles - not the air itself). The faster the water is moving, the more friction (or in the case of deep slow moving water, its the increased pressure - like pushing down harder on sandpaper) it creates which dislodges more solid particles.

Friction is the cause, migration is the effect.

That being the case, I'm going to erode out of this thread. smile

Erosion by water or wind or whatever takes decades, so not too concerned, if done 'right'. Trying to balance a game on real world effects and arguing about it, won't get us anywhere.

Population erosion is more of a concern. hmm

RIP PERPETUUM

Arga wrote:

Water erosion, technically, is caused by the friction of water molecules (Just like Wind is the friction of air born particles - not the air itself). The faster the water is moving, the more friction (or in the case of deep slow moving water, its the increased pressure - like pushing down harder on sandpaper) it creates which dislodges more solid particles.

Friction is the cause, migration is the effect.

That being the case, I'm going to erode out of this thread. smile

I wasn't going to take it to that level, because it then moves out of my field of expertise then into something a little more scientific.

So if im wrong ville what is

Mass wasting?  yes water CAN play a part in it but NOT ALWAYS. 

Not from google,  From a book I had to read for my geo physics class.
if you'd like to read the book I still have the PDF, and will gladly email it to you?  in most cases yes, water plays a huge part in erosion.

but as I stated before WATER IS NOT THE ONLY CAUSE OF EROSION

38 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2013-03-27 19:50:17)

Also, if there was no erosion on Nia then shouldn't the entire surface be igneous rock and ash?  No erosion means no sediment and ergo no sedimentary or metamorphic rock in the planets crust aside from the small volume derived from volcanic activity. 

So, no erosion... please explain non-volcanic hills?

EDIT: magic and I don't want to nerf my terraforming don't count as reasons

39 (edited by I Like Fire 2013-03-27 20:35:09)

Celebro wrote:

Erosion by water or wind or whatever takes decades, so not too concerned, if done 'right'. Trying to balance a game on real world effects and arguing about it, won't get us anywhere.

Population erosion is more of a concern. hmm

I don't really care either way if they implement erosion or not.  I'm strictly here for the violence:)

Edit:  Spelling

There is the whole question of how inorganic life formed too, which is much more puzzeling than non-volcanic hills...

41 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2013-03-28 02:49:31)

Arga wrote:

There is the whole question of how inorganic life formed too, which is much more puzzeling than non-volcanic hills...

.... Arga neutral

*Goes of to find a large dead fish to hit Arga with*

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Arga, for that I would accept 'magic' as a viable line of reasoning,  though I like the Skynet theory better.

I put on my robe and wizard hat...

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

All the data that we have about Nia is transmitted from 'stolen' robotic sensors and transferred through the 'rift'. No one really knows what the planet 'looks' like and we could simply be interpretting the digital signals to match our concept of a habitable planet, sort of like when NASA adjusts the red tinted mars photos.

If I were to guess though, I would say skynet is the right answer. The native population of some planet, probably not even Nia, advanced to the point where they could build AI computers, said AI then built and launched AI colony ships out into the universe.

Organic life really isn't suited for the long travel times between the stars anyway, so it is actually more likely that inorganic life would dominate most galaxies a few million years after they are 'released' into it.