1 (edited by ZUBO 2012-07-19 18:01:56)

Topic: Cargo Space

First i have to admit that this is not an original topic and has been discussed before. Its still (to me) an open issue though.

Second i was not sure where to post it - here or in the feature section - since both aspects, balancing and features are discussed.

The first issue came up recently when i was doing some combat missions after a long time. The problem of missions still is the travel time so you may think you should just accept multiple missions. But here you run into the problem that even if you are very "unlucky" with the loot you cannot hope to bring it all home in one run.

My suggestion is to at least double the cargo capacity of all standard combat bots (not arkhes, EW-Bots) and change items that are balanced around current cargo capacities accordingly (teleporters and such). Furthermore mission-specific items should have their volume decreased to 0.01u (containers, readings, etc.) to not waste cargo space.
I am not sure if mining-bots need the same treatment but it might very well be.

The second issue is that of transport bots and current loads. We need something bigger.

Edit: here was some text that was far to detailed.

Re: Cargo Space

Leave the current bots as is, wait some time for new bots and bot classes. Hauling is not as bad with the combination of std and interzone teleports.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I disagree with this .  Minerals were halved in U and we got the 900 U hauler.  One of the biggest things corps need to learn is not to put all your eggs in one basket.  Keep a large reserve alpha side and since the lockout mechanic, not a fan of, it only makes sense to have bulk assets alpha side.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

So you are both answering to the second point i guess. I agree teleports are nice(i bit too nice if you ask me but thats a different issue) and help a lot and the 900u hauler is also nice(but also takes some time to train), but not enough. If i could be bothered i could probably mine 900u on my own(1bot) in an evening if i mine some high-volume ore. Why would i need the largest transport bot in the game to haul it away(keeping in mind the cargo is only worth 10-20% of the bot)?

Because the hauler shell shock value has not worn off yet.  Also remember playing pre lithus?  All those sequers hmm  The problem  still rests with the fundamental problem, you should be mining ore to build stuff to defend that outpost or selling off site to haul  in.  Now back to an unrelated topic why are you complaining about moving your stuff and not defending your outpost with you and your allies?  Even if your a straight indy guy fit a few remote repairs on your riveler and defend what's yours!

And if your telling me you got 5 Scarab loads each at a terminal being seiged and you only show up to just mine I would boot you from corp out of shear principle.

Wow...i just make a hypothetical statement and that is the answer?

And its not just a current topic either. When they changed the teleport network i had to move a lot of stuff around. Was the least fun i had in the game so far and would have been over much sooner if i had a bigger bot...

You can like that or not but that is just what i think.

Everyone would wish for bigger haulers and I am 80% sure they will come. But you wanted too many things changed.

9 (edited by Arjha Shanoo 2012-07-19 17:45:25)

for the time being a lithus/scarab is enough - bigger bots are still in research but they definitely will come some time.

All in all: the cargohold of all bots has been expanded and loot/minerals adjusted already many many times that hauling is less nerve racking. Hauling is and should be the task of haulers (bots and profession) as it was the original idea, I don't think it was ever intended that your working bots specialized in combat/mining should be able to transport all the stuff you farmed for hours back just like air.
This may sound a bit harsh but thats whats coming from your request: if you (and I mean all players asking for more cargo space at other bots than hauler classes) get more cargo space at bots that never were constructed to carry much stuff - at the end haulers and fieldcontainers would become completely useless.

Edit: One analogy: either you buy a convertible sportscar to be speedy and goodlooking or a transporter to get all your stuff moved...

and lets face it, if you get a bot that can carry 10 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX insert more zeros or less, someone some where is just going to complain that it is not enough.

@Norrdec fair point. It was going far to much into detail.

@Arjha Shanoo I think you are now more looking at the first point. Now the thing here is not that i want to shoot NPCs for hours and loot everything and take it back with my bot.

I was doing some Level3 mission the other day in an Arbalest. I killed a total of 12 light/assault NPCs(took no more than a few minutes), did not pick up any of the 1u large mission items twice and still was not able to take everything with me. Thats a bit sad if you ask me...

If you are doing a mission or 2 near each other, drop a field can?

would be possible, but even better would be just to destroy the modules and do another mission in the same time it takes to haul the worthless loot back. Its not the fact that you might miss out on some riches here but rather that even the loot generated in 5 minutes does not fit into a bot.

14 (edited by Arjha Shanoo 2012-07-19 19:25:46)

Like I said the bots cargo had already increased more than once after players asking for more cargo to be able to run their missions, like ville already said, if you increase it further the requesting of more space won't stop either.
I even remember one of those topics derailed in a discussion about reality and gaming because of one simple answer: we can't make the cargo bigger than the bot (and that difference between a light and an assault isn't even doubled)

Apart from the cargo question you also included to improve the modules and mission item volume.
To mission items: I still think their volume should be according to the missionlvl (since I don't run combat missions can't speak for them) - with transports this is done well, production missions sadly have really light components to collect (can run a lvl5 mission just with a light and hardly have a unit -.-). For a "hightech-item" the syndicate searches I would expect more than a half unit just from job description.
To modules: their volume is - okay. Here I think more of the other topics requesting that NPCs shouldn't drop as many (T1) modules as they do now - would solve that question, too.

Edit: changed weigth to volume - it was hinted to me that its confusing otherwise

15 (edited by tRens 2012-07-19 19:15:39)

decrease weight of modules then

I see where are you coming from, but you said it yourself - it a worthless loot. Change everything over worthless loot?

17 (edited by Annihilator 2012-07-19 20:00:54)

you can even run into cargo issues with MISSION loot + your ammo.

I remember that, if i tried to do three lvl5 missions with a mech, i couldn't do them all three in one run due to cargo issues. And destroying loot in cargo is not possible, as long as something is agressing you.

and then, the LOOT is actually part of the calculated mission reward. AFAIK thats one reason why NIC payout of misisons is so crappy as it is...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I have a great idea for combat missions its called a battle sequer/lithus gun slots or even better you could use the repair bonus on your Scarab!

Ville wrote:

I have a great idea for combat missions its called a battle sequer/lithus gun slots or even better you could use the repair bonus on your Scarab!

Hey I remember long time ago videos of haulers in eve ganking gankers. They were pretty fun.

Thats leet

Ville wrote:

and lets face it, if you get a bot that can carry 10 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX insert more zeros or less, someone some where is just going to complain that it is not enough.

cool

Combat bot cargo space is still painfully small, imo enlarging it by twofold or more would massively improve the new player experience.

As for us older guys, well we all know this game isn't meant to be played with just one account :S

+1
-Confucius

to bad, EvE came first with seperating cargo spaces for different tasks, aka miner cargo vs. regular cargo...

for me, the issue with my combat bots cargo is, that i am overwhelmed with loot that i have to pick up and destroy in cargo, or else the screen is filled with loot container after a few minutes - even though im only there to grind some income.

i got this problem with my heavy mech, that has 15U cargo space, (5U for ammo...). New player got what? 3U cargo, and still no ammo-less weapon, which means, their cargo is full after 3x damaged missile launcher drop?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

24 (edited by Celebro 2012-10-01 23:59:38)

Annihilator wrote:

to bad, EvE came first with seperating cargo spaces for different tasks, aka miner cargo vs. regular cargo...

What's this issue I hear about with copying EVE. Are we suppose to reinvent the wheel?

RIP PERPETUUM