Re: Bridging the new player gap (brainstorming session)

Ville wrote:

What your suggesting is not feasible under one premise the developers can't make money for their game this way.  People have been trading currency/items/teamspeak cybering sessions since I started playing.  This just bumps the economy and promotes end game players reason to pay for his or her subs securely and helps new or old players supplement income for possible things  like gamma and more pvp.

Um i dont know it for sure, but is not the montly fee here so that the devs earn money for theyr work?
So what is then the real reason for thread, impementing methods for making extra money next to the montly fee (wich will ever feel like Pay2win) or try to bridge the gap between veterans and newbies a bit?

The devs should rly make alot money with this game since its a great game, but it should be fair and not end up with a pay2win like solution...

Lol, EP booster idea indicates that game have problems with starter extensions. Maybe, it is worth to fix extensions instead of implement ep boosters?

Alexadar wrote:

Lol, EP booster idea indicates that game have problems with starter extensions. Maybe, it is worth to fix extensions instead of implement ep boosters?

fixing like... fixing their noob-and-vet unfriendly names?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

From these two premises I would rather thinking about a temporary "device" that doubles your EP gain for up to 2 weeks that is useless on agents with more than 200k EP

probably the best idea here .. just a temporary boost for few weeks get new players rolling nicely

http://www.emptywords.org/
Just another Fail F...

AnniXa wrote:
Ville wrote:

What your suggesting is not feasible under one premise the developers can't make money for their game this way.  People have been trading currency/items/teamspeak cybering sessions since I started playing.  This just bumps the economy and promotes end game players reason to pay for his or her subs securely and helps new or old players supplement income for possible things  like gamma and more pvp.

Um i dont know it for sure, but is not the montly fee here so that the devs earn money for theyr work?
So what is then the real reason for thread, impementing methods for making extra money next to the montly fee (wich will ever feel like Pay2win) or try to bridge the gap between veterans and newbies a bit?

The devs should rly make alot money with this game since its a great game, but it should be fair and not end up with a pay2win like solution...

Listen, you apparently have no idea about the backstory of this game.  The development team is very small.  They don't have the luxury of hiring a few hundred programers and etc...  to help pump out new content every month and they do amazing job trying to fix bugs and major balance problems and provide content at the same time.  This is not blizzard or CCP.  This a group of over worked under paid barely appreciated group   of individuals passionate  about a video game.  We have 50 threads regarding "Plex" "ssex" "ICE" what  ever you want to call it.  It's worth reading if you consider this pay to win.   Because you can't "win" in a sandbox mmo.  I don't care if you had infinite money in this game,  you  will eventually lose to someone with more determination then you.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

31 (edited by Gremrod 2012-09-06 18:58:15)

KKing wrote:

From these two premises I would rather thinking about a temporary "device" that doubles your EP gain for up to 2 weeks that is useless on agents with more than 200k EP

probably the best idea here .. just a temporary boost for few weeks get new players rolling nicely

Yes this is what that other game did. New accounts/characters have a gain boost for a limit time. I think this one would/could work if they decide to do any type of EP gain for new player.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Biggest problem new players used to face was spending EP incorrectly. This was semi-corrected by allow EP redistributions.

The ICE will help the entire game community.

Giving more and more EP to players will not help them. Players who have 1 million EP+ will be able to tell you that that one character is still limit in what it can do. It might be amazing at one thing but it certainly won't be amazing at everything. The reason this isn't shown is that new players have a single account and established players usually have two or three or more..

If you want to hook in new players and stop them drifting off they need to be introduced to corporations sooner and corporations need an incentive to recruit them.

Alexander wrote:

If you want to hook in new players and stop them drifting off they need to be introduced to corporations sooner and corporations need an incentive to recruit them.

Corps already have incentives to recruit.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

34 (edited by Sundial 2012-09-06 21:28:25)

AnniXa wrote:
Ville wrote:

I don't think you understand ICE/PleX.

"but is not the montly fee here so that the devs earn money for theyr work"

With an ICE solution the same number of subs (and maybe even more) are bought from the devs. They receive the same amount of money. Its just some of them are sold on the market to endgame players who would rather grind to pay for their sub. But someone is always buying the sub, they do not come out of thin air.

If no one wants to buy a sub, you can't make money from ICE.

Anyways, I only have one account subbed at the moment and If we had an ICE system I would likely sub at least one-two more (at no cost to me yet bringing the Devs more money)

The player selling the subscription in return gets the NIC the endgame person grinded. This helps out new players / players that don't want to grind / players that need an initial lump sum to do things with the market etc. Its good for the economy and good for the game. Really there are no losers when it comes to Plex.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Well, this is an interesting discussion and with alot of ideas, but everyone should keep in mind that -as far as I see- here is no perfect solution which everyone can completely agree with.

I completely understand that any veteran wants to keep stay ahead of the crowd EP wise and they should (I would want that aswell).

Now as a new player I also of course wish to eventually be able to a veteran myself, which is theoretically impossible if the ep system stays the way it is. The reason I can live with this situation is simple: unlike EvE this game is alot younger and thus vets arent as far ahead.

But this problem will get worse and worse as the time is passing by. And the older this game becomes, the more and more new players will feel intimated by the feeling that they can never catch up. Also you have to keep in mind as the game is progressing there will be more and more extensions and most likely even bigger robots and bigger guns and the gap will be even more drastic.

Now solutions for this issue, well suggestions:

Idea 1: You could try to somehow progressivly increase the start EP for new accounts over time, but of course not at the same rate an active account would gain EP. Infact you could also add that system to unsubbed accounts. Something as like 0.25 ep per minute? You would need to balance the numbers more of course. But this is also more treating the symptoms than the actual problem since over time (even though alot slower) the same problem would persist.

Idea 2: Another idea would of course be to make some kind of hybrid EP model. Keep the current as it is and add another option to gain additional EP. Basically reward EP for an activity. Be it Assignments rewards, EP gain item drops, or even EP gain directly related to actions like killing or mining. Now here aswell you need to keep an eye on the balance. You have to make the EP gain through such activities *very small* Infact microscopic small. It has to be small enough to not make older players angry and quit, yet to be a tiny tiny glimpse of hope to new players to eventually in the far future catch up.

Lets say per assignment  and difficulty you get 1 to 10 EPs. These numbers are so low, which means there is a chance people can catch to a vet by actively be online and playing, but it would take pretty much forever - and I assume vets would also do the assigments so they would stay ahead still. And even if they dont want to do assigments, they will stay ahead for a very very very long time and only if they never do any and everyone else does.

This way you give all new players a feeling or better put the "illusion" of being able to catch up - but thats exactly whats matters.

Apexx

1. Yes

2. GTFO

1. Yeah.
2. Dont even think about it.

1. Yes

2. GTFO

1. ICE

I'm the oldschool masochistic player that actually enjoys a grind and firmly believes that subscription and online time should be the only currency in game (even though I have practically none of the latter myself). I don't like PLEX in EvE and I will not like ICE in Perpetuum.

However, I am well aware that the above is a royally screwed up, to say the least, and outdated business model. ICE is good for the game and I will not ragequit over it.

2. EP Catchup

On this I am strongly against. Your proposal is not well thought out - Blackomen has already painted a potentially bleak future. I do understand that it stems from a very real concern and I admit, I don't mind the one-time restricted (example 2 weeks double EP on subscribing after trial) EP boost.

Also need to say +1 to bringing this to the community before acting on it. smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Also need to say +1 to bringing this to the community before acting on it. smile

Yes good call. +1

Comments so far seem pretty unanimous.

RIP PERPETUUM

42 (edited by Rex Amelius 2012-09-07 00:12:16)

1. Sure, why not

2. Only a little, but it should be automatic for new accounts, not purchased separately

First, I did not know that the Amazon Kickstarter pack included bonus EP until Gunner told me last night. Funny thing was he called it the Camel's Nose, and now today I see this thread...

EP Acceleration
I think this is a fair modification to make for say 45 days, give or take for balancing and exploits. Whether that is double or 1.5 or some other % variation is also debatable. Whatever the % all existing accounts should also be credited for EP for this time. And no trial accounts should be allowed acceleration until purchase. If trial account purchases after 2 weeks then they can have retroactive EP immediately that would have accumulated at the accelerated rate would they have purchased on day one.

But after the 45 days, or whatever time period, EP should accumulate normally.

Others have made good points regarding rebalancing needs for light bots and some extensions. But I still think, psychologically it can only help to get more players to commit to the game long-term, rather than FEEL left behind right off the bat.

And come on guys, we need all the new player incentives we can get.

Important points

• If Devs do this they need to boost all existing accounts as if we all had this from the start.

• Automatic for subscription, not an additional purchase and definitively not on unpaid trials (simply for exploit)

• No New EP Purchases. Amazon is the limit. DO NOT sell any more EP!!!

Sparking to other games

1:  This one is usefull. Keeps players ingame, gives people something to work for

2: No, Just no.  As already stated.  No new player should be able to jump in a mech straight away without knowing the very basics of the game mechanics. With the ICE implemented, they can spend their time grinding for nics to be able to pay for ICE, while they learn the game mechanics.

Mkay. What i propose, to solve newbies and lightbots problem:
1. Castel: +1 headslot, +50% capregen, -0.5m hitsize
2. Prometheus: -0.5 hitsize, +1 head and legslot, +30% resists
3. Yagel (or ***, as someone said): +1 legslot, -1m hitsize

+10% speed.

This will make lightbots much durable and will give them ability to be main DPS force for light EW gangs.
Newbies will enjoy them, vets will make new toys.

@Rex Amelius: +2 (wow, sometimes its strange how the same ideas are formed in the minds of a game community...)

I'm also for a EP-boost for the starting period (trial excluded) and would have set the same time limit as with downgrade tokens or maximum of 45 days.
If you just simply would get the EP instantly, the downgrade tokens won't ever be enough to correct your mistakes (too much points in advance disturbs learning curves and later on those players won't be able to withstand the normal waiting time to accumulate your EP), and vets who have paid for each day of their gametime will feel cheated if the price is lower than what they already paid.

With the current kickstarter edition we already have some problems, the sparks and the ep-bonus are nice even for vets, but those that have already a years sub (or above it) normally wouldn't want to spend extra-money here for a package where they just don't need the main thing: gametime ... Even worse with that edition only available over Amazon US (bad amazon bad! into the corner with you!)... So back to Rex words:

Rex Amelius wrote:

Important points

• If Devs do this they need to boost all existing accounts as if we all had this from the start.

• Automatic for subscription, not an additional purchase and definitively not on unpaid trials (simply for exploit)

• No New EP Purchases. Amazon is the limit. DO NOT sell any more EP!!!

EP Acceleration:

now the problem will remain exactly the same as it is already. The only thing you are doing with EP acceleration is giving newbs more points right off the bat to skip more and more robots, but in the end they can never catch up anyway and they will know this.

So in my opinion you will not help newbies with this solution at all, but instead simply spoil them at the beginning. Also newbies might get used to the fast rate and might complain once their ep rate slows down.

So, take a look at my previous post:

low EP rewards for assigments is better (1 to 10 EP depending on the lvl)

Also: Yes give light bots a niche in pvp.

1. YES - no doubt - this model works well in eve.

2. No Way - the noob - vet divide is more apparent with the low population - when noobs have more peers to engage with the vet divide will not be noticeable. The sandbox template calls for something to strive for, and gaining ep over time and using it wisely is all part and parcel of the game.

Why not start a character/account trading market on the forum? smile This way high EP accounts can be transfered to new players that want an EP advantage, only the name of the character cannot be changed. I think this will be the best option. Personally for me paying cash to boost EP is a no no.

1. Yes, but only with Pve expansion
2. gimme back my money if so

My point that DeV's should not discuss such questions with players.
We all knows advantages of system and habbits the old players. I advice to decide by yourself guys.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...