Re: Open letter to the Devs

DEV Alf wrote:

We didn't really remove much of the spawns, only moved them further away, on alpha 2 and betas we removed 2-3 spawns only, and made every random spawn less random, and more of the same level as it was requested by many.

On Hershfield there are Zero NPCs on half the island.  lost are at least six static spawns, one blue assault/mech spawn, and the rest assault through overlord spawns. Ok if mining has eliminated these npcs.  Ok if not having the research from these AI keeps me from advancing in the game... its ok with me,,if you want me dicking around on a alpha2 for six months while i research one kernel at a time until i finish T2 crap.

We plan to reduce the respawn time of the roaming groups on alpha , beta and gamma to zero and buff them a bit (more target, and respawning instantly if they are fully killed - on gamma a expect a beefier buff) .

Cool, i like roaming the alpha2 island for roams, i have shot many that were engaged with miners. I liked this RP, not speaking for the miners, though.  Single AI bots that roam, would be nice.  Combos with combined arms also would be cool, with a command bot, with long range ew.  Entirely a personal agenda for me...i like shooting AI, and the more varied the better.

The number fixed position spawns: Well, we can increase the flock number (more different type of npcs +1-3 npc in the same time) on alpha 2 and betas. We don't wish to change alpha 1 because it is a beginner zone.

Its not the makeup of the AI i have tried, and i have tried most, to see the progression.  All but four or five on Hersh are mission bots, with Zero progression, just the same three bots over and over. Come on, even for missions this is boring, or do mission runners like this?

We didn't touch the observers, and don't want to.

We may put the beacons on syndicate shop for tokens (rank 3-5 npc only)

I will never do missions, if i cant play the game because i have to do missions, you will lose my sub. beacons tied to AI is cool with me. And beacons in the syndicate shop for mission runners is ok to. But it would be cool if i could get a lvl 1 beacon somewhere, i would like to set some off alone.

I stated before the patch that this game would lose community with gamma was set loose.  This is the result of players moving into further and further areas of the game.  The alphas are for training, and basic progression. But the peeps that live there should see players.  With the progression of the game so far, i am not sure how you can have players on alphas that want to play on betas and gammas.  This is not a uncommon problem,  and has been addressed in other games that put POS in the game. Its up to the devs to make the training islands dynamic and playable for new players.  And not exploitable past reason by experienced players (strip mining) or maybe the sight of ten gamma miners on a alpha would be desirable. Your call.  Anyway.

Zig one of the biggest problems is that alpha have 6 terminals and 6 outposts.  Thats 12 market  hubs.  Now let's say you have 500 people actively playing the game.  a quarter of the population is in communist beta corps and have zero market interaction.  So that's 375 capitalist players.  so approx 30 ish people per hub.  Sounds pretty low right?  it is.  What's even more serious is that pvp is not happening because of walls, probes and just the shear amount of time to walk to another island.  you couple  this with the mineral inflation with insanely unpredictable market and you have hyper inflation.  now you factor in faction minerals and we arrive to where we are now.  Over abundance of minerals and stock, weak and  sluggish sells.  pvpers not pvping.  Bots not blowing up.  Producers not pumping t1 and t2 into the market.  T3 requires Nora price of those modules increase, miners selling to smaller and smaller buy orders.  Miners start holding on to resources....  very dangerous market cycle we are in right now.  I have one suggestion, PLEX.  smile

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

PLEX you to...:) and by the way i have no clue what plex is.

ok i can make a alpha outpost my home, and garden all day long, and make good nick. But wait, i cant refine there, or recycle, or whatever, because each outpost only has two functions set for 50, the rest are 0.  ouch, i have been hit over the head with the risk reward hammer...i should go to beta if i want better production... right? and i did. This is the first game i have ever played that has safe zones...so beta, or free fire zones are ok with me...One thing i DO know about pvp is you have to have targets to shoot at or players leave...pvpers have to have gear or they leave. And pvpers are not grinders in the correct context.  Up jumps meta gaming, multi toons, commie way of business. The one with the most alts wins... So where does that leave me,,a single toon?  waaaay behind... does the game want to wait until i skill up to be able to mine, or haul with a mech, or have a garage of bots so i can lose ten or twenty being a target and making someones game time fun. Its going to have to.... 

I have to play out of alpha, because if i so much as set foot on some god forsaken island, any beta outpost i play out of will be lost in a week, because, just because. The peeps throats i shoveled kernels down to supply gear for me,,,are gone. I have to make my own stuff, because the market is empty. Sad story,,,naw, i dont mind. Ill get there, But kernels are not around like they were once,,,if i could change anything i would have alphas like they were before alpha2s  lotsa crap everywhere. And let me be honest, i tried the "give all your kernels to dickweed here because well "all" get tiered gear quicker' for over a year now...and i still have to buy all my T4 stuff, and bots...I cant believe i am the only one that this has happened to, and allot have left because of wasted time relying on someone else...that says sooo long,,,been fun for meh,,,laters..poof...goddamn.

lol,,,they should have AI walking around on alphas with players names that have let their subs go, or have been awol for months.  Honestly, one game addressed empty start zones with programed AI including haulers, miners, that stocked alpha stations, or markets. So noobs 1 did not feel alone, and 2 had stocks to mess around with, even with limited functions at alpha outposts, that make noobs move stocks for better results when playing the market.  Stocks over noob lvls were consumed by the station, outpost, for something, or included in missions, which could not be accepted by advanced players.

But your insight Ville is noted and i respect your opinion.

alpha II islands, like Tellesis, have only 1 outpost but it has all the functionality in one building.

Correct me if I am wrong bud, but alpha two stations have all of that stats at 50?  You could work out of one of those and get decent returns.  Beta outposts don't mean instant death.   Ninja mining epi is kind of a touchy subject, especially with just one account.  I have multiple accounts, ones I use for mining and harvesting on gamma and a production toon, and various combats staged in locations as I need them. 

Imo the outposts on alpha 1s need to be revamped to have a reason to go there.  Old days they were great to get Titan by and stage for a large move to Beta or simply to stage an alpha side pvp assault.

Plex is basically a system where players buy timecodes and sell them on the market for  player buy orders for in game money.

with the new point system and dimishing returns, alpha dweller can compete with beta dewller pretty much

the refining delta for titan ore on maxed refining extension between tellesis and a standard gamma outpost is not that much.

grind up your relation and you get extra free points

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

With three outposts on alpha1 islands,,,any mining or farming is three times faster then any alpha2 island. Run outside the outpost, mine harvest within 100 meters of the outpost.  no city streets to deal with. mazes, all open country..  If someone is working out of the the outpost you like, there are two more to check out.  I have a sequer and a gargole at three or five outposts, on two different alpha islands. Why i am not filling plant orders is that i need kernels to finish t2 med harvester.  The 30 minute spawn has helped with that,,,out of four spawns it went up 3%  let me see,,,,ill be ninja farming in three months,,,yeaaa. So alpha1 outposts are good storage terminals, with easy access to basic commodities. And if one goes there, they will see peeps exploiting these features. 

Right...we need a reason to access alpha 1 outposts.  I will use one or two that was in another game,,please forgive me if they seem more of a fit for gamma.  The use of outposts for staging is such a cool one that i will leave that to the devs if they are even contenplating such a thing. 

But consumables can be tied to alpha 1 outposts.  Production efficiency can be tied to food stuffs...ie water, grain,  manufactured foods, (comes before organic foods, because organic foods are more premo then man foods.) then organic foods.  No we don't go suck water, or harvest grain.  Some outposts have a tick that inject grain into the market at that station. Some water.  when water meets grain, it makes manfoods at selected outposts.  When manfoods are hauled to other outposts, they make organic foods.   Ok where does all this jacking around get us...The outposts with 0 production lvls would go to 30 with water,  50 with water and grain,  75 with water grain and manfoods,,,100 with alll four.  Missions can be tied to this anomaly to enhance meaning to the meaningless  system currently used. The players that do the missions, keep outposts at 100 efficiency, and keep standings with 'that' outpost with the missions, get a pay off from their efforts.

How do we keep players from packing off the consumables, and wrecking production efficiency lvls?  That's not my call.  The devs might want the drama, of players griefing each other by stripping goods. Or they can have a hidden function in the outposts.  I haul 80 units of water to a outpost, it consumes 10 units a hr, but when i sell the water to the outpost 1/3 of the 80 units are hidden so the station will make manfoods for three hrs. I have time to find out who offscounded with the water. cry, start a war,,,or go steal his production stuff. One cannot believe how much a simple thing can impact play, among pve players.  The profit from the water, grain, manfoods, organic foods, is basic npc tiered.  profit is enhanced with the inclusion of missions with the consumables.  And yes the missions can include stations that interfear with existing production lvls. This means a outpost far far away sees that the outpost your working out of and caring for like a baby,,,has water, or manfoods, and wants them, and generates a mission to get it, that pays like a slot machine, and you know someone is going to be after "your" water....:)

But anyway,,,

Was great jabbering, i have to go play in the sun for the next month..I have a bad case of fishing fever and have to be rushed to a lake for vitamin B.

Across the Great Divide
Just grab your hat
And take that ride.

Ok after a few short hours of "Hide and Seek"  I think I might have a solution, feel free to shoot it done, its merely just a suggestion.  You understand how island sectors work, how about for the roaming NPCs we sector the mobs off into a NW,NE,SW and SE pattern, where the npcs have a preset area that they will roam.  Having to bring out multiple signal detectors to crawl the island for a 15 mins is quite, well bothersome.  If we could atleast guarentee that there is always 8 spawns roaming, 2 in each of those 4 hours.  We could see a lot better PVE there.  Just a suggestion

The barrier to becoming an effective producer is too high imo.  As an earlier post pointed out, many corps gave kernels to a few people who are now inactive.  For the producers that are left there's no incentive to bother supplying the market...

+1
-Confucius