Topic: Open letter to the Devs

Dear Devs,

I write this letter to you on behalf of some of the non-PvPers who play Perpetuum.  With this latest expansion you have effectively killed mid to high level PvE.  Alpha islands are now an NPC wasteland, those few NPCs left are of low level.  I request that you quickly address this issue, I suggest that you limit Alpha 1 islands to level 3 NPCs and below in small dynamic spawns. However Alpha 2 islands should contain large dynamic spawns of level 3 to level 5 NPCs.

If you are unwilling to add NPCs back to Alpha islands because you want Perpetuum to be a PvP focused game then make it PvP focused by making all islands open PvP.  Just because we have 6 islands that do not allow PvP does not mean that we have PvE content, there’s not much point having non-PvP islands if they don’t contain PvE content.

Be warned if you do make the game free for all PvP most of the veteran PvEers will leave the game, however we will probably leave the game anyway due to a total lack of challenging and fun PvE content.

Thanks

Re: Open letter to the Devs

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/69181/#p69181

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

This topic already exists and I think they are full aware of the lack of NPCs.

4 (edited by Jomine 2012-06-24 00:22:52)

This topics more specific, it's about the fact that they are going to lose PvE players if they don't act soon.  Right now there's nothing for mid to high level non-PvPers to do in the game.

Ville wrote:

This topic already exists and I think they are full aware of the lack of NPCs.

It's a similar but more specific topic Ville.    Devs asked me to start a thread.

Ah I see Ok. Well good luck.

7 (edited by Sundial 2012-06-24 04:27:04)

Yes, we need more PvE content in general. However I think PvE content can be challenging without 5star NPC's on alpha. What is the point of farming anywhere else if you can get the very best in complete safety? You can already do this with beacons.

There needs to be increased risk for high end PvE content like smarter AI that works together, reps eachother, specialized ewar bots etc. Increased risk does not necessarily have to be from PvP but it needs to at least match it in a way in order to keep game ballance. Something that challenges players in general.

And yes, the game needs more spawns. Let me breakdown current spawn ballance.

Alpha: A couple good 4star spawns for medium-high end players but not enough to support a larger population.
Beta: Some good 5star mech/hmech spawns here, probobly the most ballanced of all the islands
Gamma: Total crap, its currently not even worth your time to hunt down roaming NPCs here compared to beta spawns / beacons
Beacons: Ballanced just fine right now. The only form of NPC farming currently worth your time on gamma. Rewards increase as you can run them faster on beta and even faster than that on gamma with the right setup.

TLDR:

Add more level 4 alpha2 spawns
Make farming worth your time on gamma somehow
Add new exciting PvE content for all players

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Agreed, all the islands need more NPC spawns.

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator

Actually since this patch, you can farm T4 assault in assignment spawns on alpha as well as a high level spawn with lot T4 HM on Hershfield. I heard but didn't check that this is valid for Tellesis and Shinjalar as well.
I even saw Indu Mech now in random spawn.  My opinion is, that there need still to be a thrill to enter beta for T5.
We could talk about having one spawn per alpha2 island that can't be farmed reasonable with HM MK2 with one support bot due too mass an geography. But in general I see the potential of advanced farming is there, even better as before patch IMHO.

It is just bad, that there are to few spawns atm. Three of these high end spawns for all alpha islands together is too few. Just add another with bad geography to avoid this second spot to be solo doable would be a good start.

Since droprate of tiered stuff was improved, all the alpha spawns were limited to T4 max to prevent easy get of T4 stuff, thats it.

Also spawns became better for kernel farming purpose - now if there are the mechs, you will not get lights and assaults on half of waves, and that's good.

So only thing that can be improved here, it's a number of spawns but not a quality, and that's it.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

In hopes of voicing in part for another demographic in this game ....

Im not a noob , but I am certainly not a Vet . With the few months under my belt that I have I can honestly say that this new patch has all but killed the game for me . There is really nothing interesting to do at all . Even if it is for pvp preparations . The randomness and fun surprise of a cool drop from high tier spawn and roaming observers was a big draw for me in this game . Now its gone . I really dont like being told I should play a certain way in a sandbox game . My choices should be my own and there should be interesting things made available for all walks of play styles in a game like this. Im hanging in there for now , but this game has become bleak.

12 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-06-24 20:31:06)

+1. Why would you drive away alpha carebears out of the game?

Alpha has L4 spawns and is PVP-safe.
Beta has L5 spawns and has indestructible outposts.
Gamma has no spawns and everything is at risk.

There's something wrong with the risk vs reward here.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

14 (edited by Ville 2012-06-24 21:36:39)

I made a lap around Tellesis, I found 3 blue T4 spawns and some T3s and some T2s.  The Best spawn on Tellesis is a T4 spawn that two or more veteran players can farm and be good, or one extremely skilled pilot in mk2.  For me personally on Tellesis, I saw two things happening:  The best spawn on alpha was a little too challenging for me, when 4 mesmers and 3 kains spawned.  But the step below it has a couple T3 Kains and some T4 assaults and lights and I literally could fall asleep and farm it.  There isn't a real gap there imo, and the second is that the spawns are in weird spots now, you just have to "Look" for somethign and try it out for a bit to see if you like it or not!  Now Beta-2s are the one that got ***

wheres the fun... indeed, good question, if the only thing that others request for PvE is "farming" spawns.

its all farming, farming, farming.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

16 (edited by Dzarren 2012-06-25 08:27:10)

have to agree with Joph, came back  a few weeks before patch and was having a blast, but now sad
I have 3 accounts and didn't bother renewing  the one's expiering.
mission suck big time now, have too run 10 minutes to get to an mission area, mining missions at 8k distance from terminal sad
No challenge in the missions and always the same stuff and no  exciting random drops sad
Sad to see an potential fun game being destroyed by pvp focus, ow wait thats what pvp is, destroying other poeples fun

17 (edited by Arga 2012-06-25 17:35:21)

It was my understanding that the beacons were supposed to supplement the alpha NPC's, but then they reduced beacons drops too; did they remove the spawns that dropped beacons on alpha as well?

This looks alot like a series of changes were the devs lost track of the line of reasoning behind them.

Beacons provide the exact experience that is being asked for here; A predictable level of challenge with appropriate rewards.

The beacons also serve the devs purpose, of not having infinitly farmable spawns on alpha were vets can print NIC.

The solution to the alpha issues lies in revisiting the 'beacon style' of NPC farming.

Add in a new artifact category, similar to infestations, but perform exactly like beacons; including possible escalations.

Make beacons available again on the lower level static spawns. This gives players a reason to farm them, something mid-level pve players can do solo or in a small group, then the large group can gather at a convient time to do the more difficult beacons.

Add in real group daily missions, that trigger beacon type waves for players with the reputation to unlock them.

Combined, those (3) things will bring alpha PVE back to an interesting level, and provide plenty of daily farming without creating NIC farms.

We didn't really remove much of the spawns, only moved them further away, on alpha 2 and betas we removed 2-3 spawns only, and made every random spawn less random, and more of the same level as it was requested by many.

We plan to reduce the respawn time of the roaming groups on alpha , beta and gamma to zero and buff them a bit (more target, and respawning instantly if they are fully killed - on gamma a expect a beefier buff) .

The number fixed position spawns: Well, we can increase the flock number (more different type of npcs +1-3 npc in the same time) on alpha 2 and betas. We don't wish to change alpha 1 because it is a beginner zone.

We didn't touch the observers, and don't want to.

We may put the beacons on syndicate shop for tokens (rank 3-5 npc only)

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

Imho the roaming groups are to big - at least i'm missing smaller ones. on alpha 1 a roaming npcs squad should be kill-able and survivable by any player who has trained a bit into repair and weapons to fit that single weaponslot on his Mining Mech.

ok, i know thats a dream due to how self-repair got nerfed from weak defense to ultra-weak defense (exception maxed extension t4 erp blue-bot builds) 

But with the roaming spawns - would sound nice if they are not permanently stuck on open terrain...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Alf wrote:

We plan to reduce the respawn time of the roaming groups on alpha , beta and gamma to zero and buff them a bit (more target, and respawning instantly if they are fully killed - on gamma a expect a beafier buff) .

So we would effectively have to camp in these roaming spawns on Beta/Gamma in order to deploy our industry?

Also are the roaming spawn locations static?

Are there pathings fixed (will they no longer just sit in 1 location)?

TL:DR will these changes be manageable for players to both keep these spawns in check and perform normal tasks on there islands? - Increased gamma farm-ability is a +++

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Instant respawn is a good concept, but it also needs to be balanced. But there should be some additional NPC risk on gamma over the current level for sure.

22 (edited by Sundial 2012-06-26 02:01:52)

Arga wrote:

Instant respawn is a good concept, but it also needs to be balanced. But there should be some additional NPC risk on gamma over the current level for sure.

There needs to be additional risk AND reward tongue. Otherwise its not balanced.

The current incarnation of NPCs on gamma has little of either I might add which does not really suit its nature very well. Its a high risk/reward environment.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:
Arga wrote:

There needs to be additional risk AND reward tongue. Otherwise its not balanced.

The current incarnation of NPCs on gamma has little of either I might add which does not really suit its nature very well. Its a high risk/reward environment.

You forgot this only applies to the island we are on... We have no NPC's

Arga wrote:

It was my understanding that the beacons were supposed to supplement the alpha NPC's, but then they reduced beacons drops too; did they remove the spawns that dropped beacons on alpha as well?

This looks alot like a series of changes were the devs lost track of the line of reasoning behind them.

Beacons provide the exact experience that is being asked for here; A predictable level of challenge with appropriate rewards.

The beacons also serve the devs purpose, of not having infinitly farmable spawns on alpha were vets can print NIC.

The solution to the alpha issues lies in revisiting the 'beacon style' of NPC farming.

Add in a new artifact category, similar to infestations, but perform exactly like beacons; including possible escalations.

Make beacons available again on the lower level static spawns. This gives players a reason to farm them, something mid-level pve players can do solo or in a small group, then the large group can gather at a convient time to do the more difficult beacons.

Add in real group daily missions, that trigger beacon type waves for players with the reputation to unlock them.

Combined, those (3) things will bring alpha PVE back to an interesting level, and provide plenty of daily farming without creating NIC farms.

+ 1  This sounds like a promising solution .

FYI, beacons are available on alphas, they just limited to lvl 2 max due to NPC lvl limitation.

Big amount of easy-to-get high-level beacons will lead to easy science advantage. I'm not sure if DEVs want to be it that way, accordingly to all the latest changes.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086