Topic: Rocked Jump Module

With the upcomming Terraforming possibilities on Gamma, it gets more and more important to be able to scale normally impassable Terrain. A way to jump over some slopes to have an advantage over people turtling or atacking from hard to reach positions seems to be a good way to further broaden the possibilities to counter such tactics.

Here a picture of a possible jump with such a module:

I propose the introduction of a Rocked Jump Module (name isnt really important) that allows you to jump over some ledges for a very few selected bot types.
The module should be almost unusable on heavier bots and mechs.
Ways to achieve that would be to couple the accumulator usage or a similar stat with the robot weight so that it gets to be most usefull on light bots (lightbots need some love)
You shouldnt be able to jump over any terrain. A los check similar to the los check of rocked type weapons should be implemented to prevent people from jumping over  or onto large walls.
See Pic:

Also you shouldnt be able to drop or raise an improbable height with the module even if there is a Los.
Defenders dropping from huge walls with no chance of you ever getting up there or atackers jumping up a 100 meter high cliff shouldnt be a possibility of this concept.
Pic related:

Again i really like to see this module work best on lightbot such as Prometheus, Yagel and Castel.
they really dont have much purpose in larger fights other than being detector.

What do you think (players and devs)

2 (edited by Heyterlo 2012-05-25 14:50:48)

Re: Rocked Jump Module

Wars, battles, and 1v1 fights are all tactics vs tactics. Its the agressors responsability to look at and analyze the defender's defences to figure out how to use them the best he can, while its the defender's responsability to minimize the chance the agressor can use the defence terain to the agressor's advantage. Having jumping or "flying" bots will only give more unpredictability to a battle, not really do anything about mountains creating a wall. 

With limits on a jump pack, the mountains will only become taller, but with out limits the packs will become OP and over used very quickly.

*EDIT: victorious warriors win first (through preperation) then go to battle, while defeated warriors go to battle first then seek to win.

Heyterlo wrote:

Having jumping or "flying" bots will only give more unpredictability to a battle

This is exactly what i want to achieve
With more possibilities for tactical advances and retreats there are more battles that are decided by skill of the atacking or defending forces. In one way or the other this can be used against turtling forces but thats not the only way to use it. A high wall may stop  a attack force only using jumppacks but in a siege situation it might still give the attacker  or defender an edge.

-1 Cool concept just not easily balanceable and Heyterlo has a point with you will just make higher walls

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Im all for unpredictability, but did you read my entire post?  Im saying with limits they will be useless and with out they will be over powered.

And you guys seem to misinterpret this concept as a way to counter walling in  it might be used for that and you can not really say how it will play out.
and since noone can know that  noone can know that just building higher walls is an effective counter.

again stop seeing this as a way to counter mega defensive bases i know thats what currently bothers most more aggressive players on gamma but its only one aspect.

there certainly is more potential to this idea than countering defensive structures stop thinking in such a tight knit pattern

Herpus Derpus,
Since youre saying we are overly focused on PvP usability of the jump jet (though in the OP you fingured out light and assault class combat bots), what other uses do you have in mind?

mining / harvest bots are designed arround effenciency and strapping a rocket to them would lower their speed, same for transporters.

Currently Im seeing a benifit for only combat, Defence and attack, but if I had a citadel, I wouldnt depend on flying bots to defend it, rather build a wall to funnel them into 1 section.

Heyterlo wrote:

Herpus Derpus,
Since youre saying we are overly focused on PvP usability of the jump jet (though in the OP you fingured out light and assault class combat bots), what other uses do you have in mind?

mining / harvest bots are designed arround effenciency and strapping a rocket to them would lower their speed, same for transporters.

Currently Im seeing a benifit for only combat, Defence and attack, but if I had a citadel, I wouldnt depend on flying bots to defend it, rather build a wall to funnel them into 1 section.

its not about what uses i have in mind.
its a module that should give certain bots tactical advantages and mobility.
the concept is so general that there is no special intended use for it other than jumping over a ledge.
the modul can weight a ton use almost all your generator or cpu dosent matter such stuff is easier to balance than later game impacts.
hard to balance isnt impossible to balance and for the sake of jumpacks on small robots just because you cant figure out a way to balance it dosent mean its impossible either.

since this is a general suggestion and not my project in any kind you can make suggestions, too.
what would you like to see from a jumppack. what would you like to not see.

if you dislike this idea because of a minor point that might or might not be of relevance you are clearly not interested in finding new gameplay ideas at all. this is a discussion not a facebook  i like button.

Contrary to your beliefs, I do support looking for new and more content, in both PvE and PvP. (im for multi-tile transporters at current, and once the playerbase builds back up Im for multi-tile combat bots and have a few ideas that would balance them quickly)

I just dont think jump jets, jet packs, rockets, or anything simular will be useful with limitations with the current Terraforming patch thats about to be released wednesday (according to the last email I saw) and with out limitations they will be over powered, as any obstruction will mean nothing to either side of a battle.

You asked for opinions and I gave mine.
Because you dont like my opinion, youre going to say i dont want or look for new content?
Oh and discussions have statements, questions and opinions from all sides.

The idea that never dies.  I think there were rocket jets in the closed beta forum archive too.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

yes it never dies and for sure has been here before quite a few times. the idea is old but good. but also hard to do it right. dont only think for gamma. think also for beta isalnds. this ind of modules could provide an intresting tactical play when a mech is able to jump over a small cliff where the samlls thought that he could not pass.

but as i said. hard to ballance and to do it right. then doing this wrong will be a gamebreaker.

+1/2

-1 this is unbalance-able what will the will the down side to using it be an increase hit size while in the air? Terraforming will already present challenges that have not been thought of...

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

I don't like the idea of having a module for jump. Why not just make some vehicles jump? Adding physics to the game could screw up the server tho.

its not the easiest concept to implement but it wont require physics just limitations like you cant pass a certain distance and z level variance  maybe increasable with extensions

stuff that can be solved with parameters is pretty easy. harder are the animations involved as you dont want an bot walking though the air.
in the end the end it will follow an ballistic arc that can be easily be put in a formula and put on the screen rockets allready do that.

the concept is indeed old but its used in many popular mecha games and iam sure alot of players that are nomally not interested in perpetuum would like to see that feature implemented.
in the end it wont be your work to implement it and noone can really say if it is that easy (not even me)