Re: If you just found or started playing Perpetuum Please read

a few friends in EVE were playing perpetuum during beta & told me i should give it a go... so i did. been  here ever since.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Arga wrote:

I was playing Eve, and wondered if there was anything like it that was just starting up, I had to really search around, but found Perp was only out for about 30 days, which was exactly what I was looking for.

It's good to hear now that Perp is actually getting in front of new players, instead of players having to track it down.

This.

Sci-fi listings in mmorpg.com. My eve background was purely coincidental. I already stopped playing eve 6 months before perp, but was surprised to read mechanics were very similar (i.e time based skill), so a gave it a shot without hesitation.

RIP PERPETUUM

Found Perpetuum through mmorpg.com, coming from steve it was love at first sight.

One of my former corpmates in eve had talked a couple others that I still kept in touch with into trying out Perpetuum.  I randomly jumped on their comms one day to see how they were all doing and a couple were in the process of trying out a new game, so I figured I might as well join them.

I was going trolololol in space, and when the introduction of monocles etc made people rage on the forums someone mentioned perpetuum as a replacement for stEVE, but with WASD-controlls and a world that isnt just 99,9999999% vacuum, höhö.
I thought it could be worth a try, and after a week I was subbed. smile

Looked for a replacement and here I am. I think I first heard about the game from friends and then MMORPG.com

A friend from another MMO told me about it and how it was similar to EvE which he knew I played.

Misspelled the word perpetual in a search query while under the influence. Saw mechs, decided to play.

I saw an article on an EVE blog somewhere about how folks were leaving EVE to come here. I gave it a try being a long time Battletech guy decided to give it 3 months and see if I am still playing.  Although I fear that the release of Mechwarrior online could negatively affect this games population which seems to me after 10 days to be really low allready

So far the top references are.

stEVE
Word of mouth
mmorpg.com

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

saw it on the eve forums

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO POKI

*official mascot of NeX*

Poki wrote:

saw it on the eve forums

oh my lord - and the poster didnt get permabanned and blacklisted? lol

As for me... I actually found it on a site i regularly check for new and interesting BETA tests... a year after this game went gold...

Odd thing is, it is a site that I frequent at least once every other month, and Perpetuum was never listed 18 months ago hmm

Only took me a day to be hooked, took me a little over 2 weeks to get it paid (income tax returns), but then I got it paid for 4 months total, on two accounts big_smile

I also tagged the url in my eve profile and my long-term private chat channel there, so hopefully I can skim some of my eve pals right on over here (hey, dont laugh, it worked when I left Earth & Beyond)

I found a post in a forum

I'm "new" in that I have only had the game for a month.

I heard about it before it even got off the ground in beta, while in EVE.  One of our corp members (European member) found it-- alas, he did not say how-- and posted the link.  Sadly, it was more to point and say, "Well, whom did they get this idea from, hmmm?"

I of course wish now that I had jumped into Perpetuum beta then and there, but I was playing several game already and didn't see the need for what was then perceived as an "EVE clone".

So: why did I come to the game?  I found the old link in my bookmarks, surfed it, and saw that the game had just gotten to the end of its first year.  Sadly, I missed all the hoopla of the tournament and the easter eggs near last Christmas.  If there had been any sort of ad blitz, that likely would have gotten a lot of people more interested-- nothing like a tournament and possible freebies to get people to try a game.  Still, I came in even without the freebies. wink

What got me to take the chance was the PPAT ad in the corp section.  That convinced me that the community itself was interested in seeing the game grow, and in getting newer players comfortable, much like E-Uni did in EVE along time ago.  Why did I stay when the initiative could not continue?  Because I had made contacts with a variety of corps already by then, and was able to move into one with good folks.

Now that I am playing, when people ask me if this game is just EVE reskinned, I tell them no: apples and oranges.  There are obvious similarities, but this is not the same game.  Any intelligent developer learns from the mistakes of others and tries to incorporate good ideas.  That has been the case since Meridian 59, The Realm, Ultima Online and EQ1 (yeah, I am that old).

However, there is a danger: I do not mind reading a lot of stuff.  People that will not read forums and hate any ad that isn't just explosions in their faces may never get past the "meh, just another..." stage.

So, if the point of this thread, as seems likely, is to decide upon ways to popularise the game, I am all in favour.  I would highly advise that advertising be able to point new prospects to a supportive new player experience and to a way of inspecting the various corporation agendas ASAP, however.  You want the trial to bring them in, not scare them off.  It's fine and fun being an "elite niche market"-- but such games are very fragile, as well.

41 (edited by Anihilator 2012-03-13 19:16:33)

Ville wrote:

I was googling "Mechwarrior MMO" and saw it on a google adsense ad.

+1
I didn't hear about game before.

Anihilator wrote:
Ville wrote:

I was googling "Mechwarrior MMO" and saw it on a google adsense ad.

+1
I didn't hear about game before.

your avatars face makes me want to give you a cheese burger.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.