1 (edited by Celebro 2011-12-18 00:48:14)

Topic: The first years: analysis of eve online population

Thought this might be an interesting read.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1Kolkz8 … Q_7YfXnnm4

Active players during the first years I would assume much higher than perpetuum. Not sure how many active accounts we have, would be nice to have some statistics DEVS. If you want player confidence give us transparency and analysis.

tl;dr: Article Conclusions:

1.Content updates have little impact of subscription growth and player usage.

2. Player churn increases as game matures ( Think it means less players leave at the beginning, more leave when the is an increase in player subscription, usually as game matures its harder to keep players).

3. Intersession times provide a reasonable metric for identifying players that are about to quit.

4.  New players come at a disadvantage to older ones. This discourages new players to continue play, if the Gap in wealth/Skills is too large.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: The first years: analysis of eve online population

Thank you Celebro!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Welcome Inda big_smile

----------------------------

To Devs: Could we please get some statistics at least number of active players that log at least once a week during the last year?, or is it top secret stuff.

RIP PERPETUUM

The trouble with this paper is that, even though it was very interesting, the MMO market wasn't mature when the testing was done, and while the volume of data within eve was suffcient for determining action within that MMO, there wasn't enough data from multiple sources to generalize MMO player actions across the genre; in 2005.

What I'm saying is this is like trying to predict how the stock market will react based on the movement of a single stock. Even the paper admits that there is no pattern that can predict how a game will grow, only how they can generalize, based on playing patterns of Eve, when a player may leave.

Meta-game information from AC isn't going to be very useful either. It would be interesting yes, but unproductive, and more likely do more harm then good for them to release it.

A direct questionaire of 1000(ish) gamers would actually give a better understanding of the motivation behind the numbers.

5 (edited by Celebro 2011-12-19 22:49:50)

Yes, a direct questionaire would be a positive step too I agree with that, but have not seen any yet. Meta-game information from AC IMO would also create an atmosphere of transparency and reassurance that all the steps have been taken to give us a good chance of success. A vague, we are working hard won't cut it for very long.

What I am trying to say is: this in not your average mmo game, many players invest loads of time with guides, podcasts, help channel and word of mouth to promote this game and at the same time support the Devs with money. Best way to treat players that invest so much is to start acting as though we are player/investors, not just players. That's they way it felt like in CCP (sometimes) and they have been successful and still are, and no harm came out of all the meta-game info.

I know the paper is old and the MMO market has changed, but its the closest we are going to get big_smile. I respect their decision anyway they want go, but a response to this thread would be most welcome DEVS.

Edit: and a reponse from players to ofc smile

RIP PERPETUUM

Check out my Perpetuum - EVE population comparison graph!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CX2u … ve-pop.jpg

Jasdemi, we're seeing a steady increase in activity. Small but steady.

What are you trying to prove? If you want Perpetuum to be perceived in a better light then stop making pictures that are dramatisations of the truth.

Perpetuum could be rich and growing but due to many different reasons it's not. One of these reasons is the community.

I AM NOT A GM™

also probbably that there isnt any thing for a lone guy to do solo sins Evry thing has to be group done ppl get bored and leve

Jasdemi wrote:

Looking at the real graph it seems to me like the population is slowly increasing over the last few months.
http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … h_1200.png

Jasdemi wrote:

HAHA, funny graph smile

11 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-01-28 19:54:38)

Astraeaa wrote:

also probbably that there isnt any thing for a lone guy to do solo sins Evry thing has to be group done ppl get bored and leve

I still don't understand the dev's profound hatred for solo-able content.  Imo the current detector module mechanic is the biggest barrier for doing anything solo on beta.

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:
Astraeaa wrote:

I still don't understand the dev's profound hatred for solo-able content.  Imo the current detector module mechanic is the biggest barrier for doing anything solo on beta.

I agree.

Solo content is needed to i think sure it shuldnt be as proffitable as team work but it shuld be there and viable
i also wuld like to just take the time for my self and just do some stuff at my own pace and when i whant to not when ppl can be there and or be loged on i will just log of and prolly over time stay loged out

Astraeaa wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:
Astraeaa wrote:

I agree.

Solo content is needed to i think sure it shuldnt be as proffitable as team work but it shuld be there and viable
i also wuld like to just take the time for my self and just do some stuff at my own pace and when i whant to not when ppl can be there and or be loged on i will just log of and prolly over time stay loged out

Indeed!!!
IMO people are way to fixated about sand here and sand there, and as soon as anyone mentions solo content etc people start flaming by spamming "themepark"... bleh!
I think perp has the best and most fun PVP in any game I've tried so far, but between the roams or massive battles there's a lack of content. Sure you can farm, mine or do artifact scanning, but how many really enjoy that part, and how many just do it to afford to PVP? More goals to achieve, dynamic missions etc etc would not only fill that purpose but also attract all the players who are into group/solo PVE etc...
It's all good, more players online, a more active market, and in the end of the day more targets to shoot at since people dont log off if nothing fun is going on atm smile

There can't be solo content on Beta (FFA) islands.

I understand the desire to put more solo content on beta, in an attempt to get more players onto beta, but its self-defeating because those hunting those 'more' players will make the content undoable solo.

The only way to create solo content, is to give the groups something better to do than hunt solo players. Not ALL groups will do the harder content, but if 70% of the PVP population is engaged, the solo player only had to worry about 30% instead of all 100%.

Arga wrote:

There can't be solo content on Beta (FFA) islands.

I understand the desire to put more solo content on beta, in an attempt to get more players onto beta, but its self-defeating because those hunting those 'more' players will make the content undoable solo.

The only way to create solo content, is to give the groups something better to do than hunt solo players. Not ALL groups will do the harder content, but if 70% of the PVP population is engaged, the solo player only had to worry about 30% instead of all 100%.

Indeed, I meant more solo content on alpha, and I agree 100% that more non PVP related content(that requires a group) is needed aswell smile