Re: Changes to improve the open market and price forming

you know, you only have to pay the 12% tax to something that you SELL on the market.

there is ZERO tax for something you buy off the market.
If you want to incrase your margin from selling your loot, ore or built products, you have to invest 2 days (2880EP) to bring that tax down to 5% (thats 50k NIC per Million, or an average assault plasmadrop)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

What I would love to see is the internal corp markets moving data. "with prices excluded since they will vary widely from corp to corp.

This would make market demand research possible where with the open market on most items it is currently impossible.

Add another tab in the dropdown box called "internal" below the world dropdown that has the collated data from corps moving averages of the item.

Example, T2 Ldemob. It has no moving on open market and the prices vary widely, so its impossible to tell if there is demand for this item. If i want to make and sell them on open market i have no idea how long or at what price I should sell them for.

Alot of players that come to perp want to play the market and see where the demand is, with current market data thats impossible.

28 (edited by Lobo 2011-12-11 11:57:19)

Lunarin wrote:

What I would love to see is the internal corp markets moving data. "with prices excluded since they will vary widely from corp to corp.

Example, T2 Ldemob. It has no moving on open market and the prices vary widely, so its impossible to tell if there is demand for this item. If i want to make and sell them on open market i have no idea how long or at what price I should sell them for.

I see where you are going and I agree with both suggestions in OP and with alexs idea of forced internal/external priceing.

However your Example could be Jaded as L-demobs were an expansion item (doesn't drop from mobs) that came out shortly after a few corps "completed" tech (most PVP corps are communist no internal data from them)... Also D-mobs are a funny choice for market study as PVE AFAIK won't use one (possibly if trying them) and PVP will fit the best they can on an item such as a D-mob (Unless im in suicide mode I know i fit t3/t4 d-mobs). That being said recheck your data with items that get wide use or are common in drops T4 LWF, t2-t4 Light weapons, T1-T4 Accu rechargers, T1-t4 Accu expanders and Industiral tunings. The market isn't dead people still use it. But most PVP active corps have taken on Communistic ways where ore gets given to builders and products get handed out, PVE corps may use the market more freely but they don't "need to replace" buy as often.

Edited: grammer police I'm sure I misspelled some more

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

no i agree with you certain items are used more than others, what im saying is it would be nice to have the full market data on item moving instead of just a small piece of the market data "the open market data"

30 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-12-12 13:17:11)

Annihilator wrote:

you know, you only have to pay the 12% tax to something that you SELL on the market.

there is ZERO tax for something you buy off the market.
If you want to incrase your margin from selling your loot, ore or built products, you have to invest 2 days (2880EP) to bring that tax down to 5% (thats 50k NIC per Million, or an average assault plasmadrop)

If a player has X NIC in total, where do you think this NIC comes from? Most likely SELLING.

But really, it's about the message it sends to people: "avoid the market".

Internal market should be at least taxed normaly in every outpost you don't own.

If you own an outpost in beta, well no taxes or taxed according the stability ^^

Internal market is fine.  No taxes promote corp involvement, I would prefer the ore I mine not be shot back at me.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

No taxes promote corp involvement

No market taxes would promote market involvement, which is a good thing too, so I take it you're fine with removing taxes completely then?

Ville wrote:

I would prefer the ore I mine not be shot back at me.

You can still do that as the internal market will still be there. Your ore will only be shot back at you if you are currently selling to corp purely for tax reasons, and therefore will stop selling after this proposed change (even so, you should then be indifferent).

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
Ville wrote:

No taxes promote corp involvement

No market taxes would promote market involvement, which is a good thing too, so I take it you're fine with removing taxes completely then?

Ville wrote:

I would prefer the ore I mine not be shot back at me.

You can still do that as the internal market will still be there. Your ore will only be shot back at you if you are currently selling to corp purely for tax reasons, and therefore will stop selling after this proposed change (even so, you should then be indifferent).

Prior to internal markets our corp just sit on items.  Produced -> Folder ->Updated bulletin -> Officer was contacted -> Money traded between officer and buyer for goods  -> money deposited in corp wallet. 

The entire reason for an internal market is for a corp to be self sufficient and provide cheaper goods for their players.  without the nessecary amount of people online to funnel items through.  Even today our members trade a member with tax evasion (hehe) level 10 to sell their plasma to get more Nic.  They use lvl 10 recyclers and refiners for their goods.  The internal market is designed to assist the corp keep costs of their goods low to inspire members to lose more stuff to buy more off the corp. 

The ONLY people that taxes are hurting is the independant producer.  Which this problem could be solved by *wait for it* a bigger population!! 

This game is designed for communism.  It's hard to be capitalist in this game, there are a lot of things to produce to keep a functional corp up and running unless you want a 2nd job.  The independant producers main role atm is to assist up and coming corps( no research) get access to T4 gear via Nic and to seed the external market for newer players not in a corp.

TL;DR:  Even if you removed taxes altogether or made them the same corps will trade directly with its members to avoid taxes and keeping goods cheap.

Ville wrote:

This game is designed for communism.

I wouldn't go that far, but the lack of corp tools makes communism the easiest way to manage a corp.

As I pointed out in PIE recruiting, we ran into so many clerical issues trying to actually run PIE as a company, that we basically gave up.

It worked 'OK' at the gathering level, putting up internal orders for materials, but how in this system to you compensate someone for making a tiered CT or for running 30 production lines?

Corps don't need internal markets, we need ERP/accounting tools, we're just using the internal market because that's all there is; and even then its ALOT of external tracking work.

36 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-12-12 21:55:34)

Ville wrote:

Prior to internal markets our corp just sit on items.  Produced -> Folder ->Updated bulletin -> Officer was contacted -> Money traded between officer and buyer for goods  -> money deposited in corp wallet.

Why again do you keep comparing against the pre-internal-market era? It's been stated several times the internal market will still be there.

Ville wrote:

The entire reason for an internal market is for a corp to be self sufficient and provide cheaper goods for their players.  without the nessecary amount of people online to funnel items through.  Even today our members trade a member with tax evasion (hehe) level 10 to sell their plasma to get more Nic.  They use lvl 10 recyclers and refiners for their goods.  The internal market is designed to assist the corp keep costs of their goods low to inspire members to lose more stuff to buy more off the corp.

The current system doesn't ask people if they should sell internally or on the market, it slaps them in the face if they go for the latter. The proposal still allows you to sell mods to your members at far lower than market prices if you want. And if you think it's a divine right not to pay the tax, how come it's so obvious that the base tax rate has to be so high (12%) on the public market? It's a matter of distorted incentives.

Also, most large-scale independent producers already have maxed extensions (including me), and given how the proposal has been made this provides no tax benefit for these people (so no benefit for me except more market activity).

The problem is that the state of the market is a serious concern for a lot of new players, and I see no reason why game mechanics have to keep on adding more frictions.

Ville wrote:

This game is designed for communism.  It's hard to be capitalist in this game, there are a lot of things to produce to keep a functional corp up and running unless you want a 2nd job.  The independant producers main role atm is to assist up and coming corps( no research) get access to T4 gear via Nic and to seed the external market for newer players not in a corp.

I'd probably say that a full-fledged capitalist corporation would leverage the market as much as possible (so sell their research at mark-up for open market, and produce for profit and buy cheap minerals), and therefore this is indeed one step towards making that more viable.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

The current system doesn't ask people if they should sell internally or on the market, it slaps them in the face if they go for the latter.

Put up a poll how many Producers are currently in corporations and selling their products on internal market only because they dont have to pay taxes there an do it for "Profit".

There is so much talk about internal markets - i wonder how much there is at all? I only have contact with PvP corps that do their production for... well own use.

Can you somehow prove that there is a commercial corp internal market going on out there within those 300 active player? Actually i dont see any corp that would have someone "no, im selling this to the open market because they pay better", stop getting shot down if you want to ride your t4 fit mk2 bot"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

38 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-12-12 23:16:03)

Annihilator wrote:
Lucius Marcellus wrote:

The current system doesn't ask people if they should sell internally or on the market, it slaps them in the face if they go for the latter.

Put up a poll how many Producers are currently in corporations and selling their products on internal market only because they dont have to pay taxes there an do it for "Profit".

There is so much talk about internal markets - i wonder how much there is at all? I only have contact with PvP corps that do their production for... well own use.

Can you somehow prove that there is a commercial corp internal market going on out there within those 300 active player? Actually i dont see any corp that would have someone "no, im selling this to the open market because they pay better", stop getting shot down if you want to ride your t4 fit mk2 bot"

So why does it hurt making it equal terms then? I maintain it's a matter of at least creating good incentives rather than so obviously favouring closed internal markets. There's already a strong bias towards the internal market due to 'protecting research' and only favouring members, why does there have to be such strong tax reasons too?

(not sure what type of 'proof' you want lol, but from what I hear there are definitely several corps with strong internal markets)

39 (edited by Celebro 2011-12-13 21:13:01)

Arga wrote:

It worked 'OK' at the gathering level, putting up internal orders for materials, but how in this system to you compensate someone for making a tiered CT or for running 30 production lines?

Yes it can be done and it's rather simple.

Edit: Sorry forgot to add any explanation: You simply set an above the cost agreed profit for every item they produce. For that to work a NIC cost of the items/CTs has to be calculated.

RIP PERPETUUM

Lucius we use tax as a leverage point to our new members to encourage them selling less then market ores and cheaper goods but ultimately it is their choice where they sell it.  Personally, I would like to see market tax go down some but honestly I don't care.

two things i would like to see

a, Logistic NPC corp standing affecting those things you can raise with extensions (max orders, vat, fee)
b, corporation tax setting affecting internal market (not lowered by extension ofc)

Annihilator wrote:

b, corporation tax setting affecting internal market (not lowered by extension ofc)

Now, if this amount actually went to the corp wallet instead of being a NIC sink, that would be something interesting.

My original proposal states that there is no real reason for lower tier items (ores, T1 items, even T2)  not to be on the open market. My proposed changes to the tax system would make it easier for newer players to operate in the market with a lesser disadvantage then they currently experience. Right now, they are basically clubbed to death at everything they try sell/produce as the market is near dead and every transaction costs them a fortune on top. They end up having to do nearly everything them self, just to get something that is competitive enough to sell and even then the question remains how long it will take to sell. 12% tax is still 7% after 5 levels of tax reduction. It is a substantial amount that is more then double and close to triple the amount some real industries hold as their profit margin!

I also made the argument that corporations shielding their production (and common ores) from the market is not necessarily the best way to go (certainly not for the game as a whole). But the tax system as it is, steers corporations this way as there is an instant advantage versus the open market which is highly visible on every transaction, the TAX.

Opening up by providing a cheaper market will give newer industrial players a sense of living in an active world where they can meaningfully contribute to on their own without having to mine for everything they make them self. They might just stick around longer and have a positive effect that way on the player base as a whole, which is good.

Then there is that markets create competition and with it relevant/accurate prices based on the actual supply and demand of the time, which will make shortages less of an issue. You rather mine/produce something that has more demand if it gives you more bang for the buck, don't you? Well I sure do and the prices right now seem totally arbitrary as  a shortage of ore A does nearly nothing to the price for a very long time. So miners either mine deliberately at a loss to them selfs in order to service their own corporation or they add to the pile of overpriced ore due to lack of internal competition just to earn more. The later having the effect it really does not help output at all as it is not the bottleneck that needs to be solved. That is what artificial habit based pricing does to a system, corporation internal or otherwise!

Either way is not healthy if you'd ask me!

Also to consider that corporations/producers outsourcing lower tiers of production should be advantageous as they do not have to "waste" production lines which they can perfectly well use for the higher tier items or to manage a more versatile set of production lines! This should compensate for the lesser production efficiency of newer industrialist producing lower tier items.

But for all the mechanics to work, it is important to have common ore supplies and low tiered items to be traded openly as that is what everything is made off. It all starts at the bottom after all and some decent priced buy orders for T1 or T2 modules can go a long way to get things going. It won't happen overnight, but I am sure eventually it will and TAX reduction will help. Right now, I do not see much out there that incentives new players that want to go into production to actually go for it...and that is bad!

And I think we all agree we need more players and things will get better when we get there. I say changing the TAX system is a good way to start, even if it is just a very tiny first step! Helping to retain more players that try out this game with a fairer playing field and actual market incentives to participate in production chains can only be good.

Inspiration wrote:

My original proposal states that there is no real reason for lower tier items (ores, T1 items, even T2)  not to be on the open market. My proposed changes to the tax system would make it easier for newer players to operate in the market with a lesser disadvantage then they currently experience. Right now, they are basically clubbed to death at everything they try sell/produce as the market is near dead and every transaction costs them a fortune on top.

I stopped reading here. So if there was something in the tldr I missed, this is why.

There are 2 reasons something isn't on the market, and its so basic its hardly worth saying, but I will.

1) No one is has the item
2) No one is buying the item

Reason 1 isn't very interesting. If you havn't mined titan ore, you can't sell it, or if you have not make a t2 module, you again, can't sell it.

Reason 2 however, is interesting. What could motivate someone with an item in inventory, not to sell it (assuming they are a capitalistic player of course)?

The reason you seem focused on, is that they can't sell it for profit. However, this is in contradiction to your statement that the item isn't on the market at all. Simply put, if there's no competition for the item, then they can sell it for profit.

If the item is on the market, but available at a cost lower then they can sell it for, then the market is working as intended, and buyers get what they need at the best price.

If however no one is buying, even at prices below cost, then changing the tax isn't going to fix that, because demand isn't being controlled by price.

tl;dr - If vetern players can't create demand with game mechanics based lowest pricing, changing tax rates isn't going to allow new players to generate price based demand.

And if the tl;dr is still tl;dr; Market needs more demand, ie. more players.

45 (edited by Inspiration 2011-12-13 21:47:32)

Arga wrote:

Reason 2 however, is interesting. What could motivate someone with an item in inventory, not to sell it (assuming they are a capitalistic player of course)?

The reason you seem focused on, is that they can't sell it for profit. However, this is in contradiction to your statement that the item isn't on the market at all. Simply put, if there's no competition for the item, then they can sell it for profit.

If the item is on the market, but available at a cost lower then they can sell it for, then the market is working as intended, and buyers get what they need at the best price.

If however no one is buying, even at prices below cost, then changing the tax isn't going to fix that, because demand isn't being controlled by price.

tl;dr - If vetern players can't create demand with game mechanics based lowest pricing, changing tax rates isn't going to allow new players to generate price based demand.

And if the tl;dr is still tl;dr; Market needs more demand, ie. more players.

The more obvious reason is that a lot of trade simply has been diverted to internal markets. Markets which in many situations will not be functioning properly either due to lack of volume. Now we can argue on how this came to be and all that, but one reason for sure is the evasion of TAX. So a good solution to start is to undo that imbalance!

Reversing past mistakes opens the way for players to adopt in the other direction. Right now it even is hard to sell something that is cheap and you know there is demand for. Simply because few use the open market anymore, all is invested in the corporation markets (with all problems that follow from that).

Stop QQing its a sandbox deal with it !

Ghorasia wrote:

Stop QQing its a sandbox deal with it !

If that is your statement, you don't mind change then smile

Change is good in the right direction.

People QQing on forums about nothing but crap does not push change in that right direction.

Especially since the Devs are taking the words written in tears on these forums so seriously.

49 (edited by Inspiration 2011-12-13 22:13:30)

Ghorasia wrote:

Change is good in the right direction.

People QQing on forums about nothing but crap does not push change in that right direction.

Especially since the Devs are taking the words written in tears on these forums so seriously.

Crap is you opinion, but you just sound resentful that way and it makes me wonder if you even have an idea what the right direction is. What will keep people "stick" with this game according to you?

Do you have any rationale why a 12% tax is good to start with?
Do you have any rationale why using market facilities in a public terminal, for corporation use, should be exempt from tax that is otherwise applied?

Saying it is all crap and moving in the wrong direction is just not going to cut it as an argument!

Inspiration wrote:

The more obvious reason is that a lot of trade simply has been diverted to internal markets.

How is this obvious?

THE obvious reason is that there are less buyers overall, not just less buyers on the open market.

Lets look at our demographics of potential BUYERS, and maybe you can point out to me where these diversions came from; its totally irrelevant where the SELLERS go, if there are no buyers when they get there.

1) Players in corps
2) Solo players

By definition, the solo players couldn't have moved to internal markets, because they aren't part of corporations. So were looking just at players in corporations.

1) Players in communist corps
2) Players in self-suffcient corps
3) Players in other corps

Communist players work for the good of the corp and get free stuff back. They may now use the internal market to ease distribution, but they are not players that got divered, nor would they be diverted back. I will concede that a small number of those players go outside of the corp to purchase items. But the question here isn't if they did that, but if they got diverted. Communist corps aren't going to create shadow markets, simply because they aren't capitalist; meaning the indy producer isn't going to have a big market, nor or they going to have any kind of trade balance. Those same players that shopped on the open market, are still doing it.

Self-suffcient corps, well they are self-suffcient so they certainly don't/didn't/won't be using the open market.

Leaving just players in other types of corps that could be divereted.

The largest of 'other' corps was NeX which at one time had 600 capitalist players. That's not longer the case. Those players didn't 'divert' to internal markets, they just left the market.

So, what's left. Of an active concurrent server population around 150 ish per continent (North america, Europe, Asia and Australia), we're looking at around 600 or so players (maybe 1200 accounts, but only 600 players).

The % of those players that were, as you put it diverted, is much too small to have any significant impact on the open market. By which I specifically mean, even if the tax was the SAME or Zero on both internal and open markets, the volume of sales that would migrate off internal markets would be NEGLIGABLE.

I appreciate that your looking at things to fix the market, and that your sharing your ideas. Don't feel that I'm personally attacking your idea either, its just that very much like the US economy now, adjusting tax rates isn't going to pull Perptuum out of this ecomonic depression.

However, the issue isn't 'irrelevant', meaning that although reducing the tax rate may not do any good (or very little good) it could be deterimental in the long run. Imaging the volume of push-back at a later date when the devs determine the depression is over and have to RAISE taxes [increase the NIC sink]. Its actually a little funny, the amount of pushback lowering taxes is getting, but you can imagine when the reverse comes up.

This is why I thought is was such an interesting idea to tie corp market tax to the corporation. Then the tax rate is player controlled, at least for shadow markets, and not in 'dev' hands.