51 (edited by Scyylla 2011-09-14 00:17:24)

Re: An Idea to Reward Exploring Islands

Paragon wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

Your argument was flawed because there was no argument.

This makes no sense. It can't be flawed if it doesn't exist.

Scyylla wrote:

You did not present anything that supported the premise of random magical boxes of goodness.

I never said this was my goal. I was arguing that your "no freebies" position is illusory. By showing that you actually do accept freebies, I also show that you shouldn't be so adamantly opposed to random drops (at least not on the basis of anti-freebie arguments).

Scyylla wrote:

I am not (in favour of free cheese).

I'm gonna call No True Scotsman on that.

Scyylla wrote:

There are posts that talk about rare drops and other posts that want frequent drops....... It isn't even a feature, yet the hands are already out...

That some people have crazy demands is not a reason to reject the feature outright. By analogy, if someone asks for Grophos to be able to one-shot everything in the game, it doesn't mean that all balance requests should be tossed out.

Actually you have failed to point out that my position is illusionary. All you have done is try and twist what is not illusionary. That being the box and the sand the Devs have supplied us with.

I would also recommend that you read the wiki page you linked:

"No true Scotsman is an informal logical fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim, rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule."

I claim that I am against the magical box of goodness in this op. I clearly state throughout this thread that I am against the magical box of goodness. I clearly state my case without altering my stance. If you had bothered to read my response to your post I clearly state the roles and responsibilties of the players and devs in a sandbox MMO. It also defines what the box and sand are.

Post 43 in this thread addresses your points, explains the reasoning behind the box and sand, reconfims the subject of my assertions and also neuters your use of the No True Scotsman..........

Why on earth would you use an example of an extreme and totally unrelated fictitious one shotting gropho and try and associate it with balancing????? That obviously is not, nor would it be a balancing request.

I fully expect your next post to go along the lines of:

I bet if the moon were to spontaneously explode and the pieces come crashing into the earth you would accept the free waves wouldn't you??????  (oh, and some random link to another wiki page)

Inappropriate signature.