Re: Incoming Transmission Podcast Episode #10 - Published

Winter Solstice wrote:

I ummed a lot too, it bothered the hell out of me re-listening to it hmm  It was my first public interview/podcast ever though, so.. idk /shrug

Winter,

Calm your self criticism; you did great.  I very much enjoyed the compare/contrast with the Communistic and Capitalistic corp models; the reasons why NeX went the way it did were also highly illuminating.  Tells me quite a bit about the folks I work for/with.

@Gremrod; great episode, as usual.

I really dont get the people who complain about the "um" stuff, I never noticed it even when Grem was supposedly really really doing it a lot.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

I really dont get the people who complain about the "um" stuff, I never noticed it even when Grem was supposedly really really doing it a lot.

It's a public speaking no-no, so people who have been forced to go through public speaking courses, their brain autofocuses on it hmm

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Winter Solstice wrote:
Syndic wrote:

It's a public speaking no-no, so people who have been forced to go through public speaking courses, their brain autofocuses on it hmm

I find it funny that I don't do it at work when speaking there in front of my staff or in meetings etc.

But I do it on the cast for some reason.... roll

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I would say Winter would be fine as a host. As long as she is comfortible doing it.

With that said, I think a list of people that are interested will be compiled.

I would like to do a guest host for a couple podcasts.

Gremrod wrote:

I would say Winter would be fine as a host. As long as she is comfortible doing it.

With that said, I think a list of people that are interested will be compiled.

I would like to do a guest host for a couple podcasts.

Peer pressure, I feels it. smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Gremrod wrote:
Winter Solstice wrote:
Syndic wrote:

I find it funny that I don't do it at work when speaking there in front of my staff or in meetings etc.

But I do it on the cast for some reason.... roll

Could be because you are talking to a computer not to a real audience smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Syndic wrote:

Me neither, to be honest.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

having had some training on public speaking I was several times marked with having to improve on  Um's and Ah's and theres quite a lot of psychology behind it.

But thats public speaking in front of an audience were you need to be convincing, using  good natural hand gestures and confident body language, its intended to give the impression that you believe what you say so you go into a kind of 'speech mode'

I also do a lot of telephone work, sales and consultancy where, again, you need to be confident use precise accurate words and keep 'um's and ah's to a minimum.

But sometimes they are more of an empathic response,  If im talking to someone on the phone who sounds nervous, is natural slow talker or its obvious their first language is not english,   I'll purposefully throw in some um's and ah's to let them know that, y'know, I'm human too!  its just a natural response to slow a conversation down and not be intimidating.

With pod casts like these you know that your having a meaningful conversation, its informative and want to make sure it stays on track, but at the same time appreciate that you have a very wide audience, its easy to forget that and come off as arrogant or too abrupt, so um's and ah's in this case are more of a natural empathic response to build rapport.

It was a good cast, hope they continue!

Winter Solstice wrote:

Aww if there's a next time I'll suffer without the AC.. the noise reduction to get rid of the AC sort of killed me a bit smile

I like your voice *blushes*

Um... I was just teasing big_smile

When I'm talking, I have these long pauses where typically an 'um' would go, and people find that way more irritating. I'm constructing and editing through my verbal filter, if not I ramble on and on, like now... hmm

I have never taken anyone sayinf anything about my use of unwords as a attack. TBH, I hate to hear them when I listen to the cast.

@Sade: Yes, I have heard the use of unwords can seem more personal. I just hate to hear when I say them and don't mind when I hear other ppl use them.

Also what to say thanks for everyones support!

Syndic wrote:

I really enjoyed listening to the early jibes Kalsius and Grem used to do since their corps in-game are mortal enemies. It gave the podcast a lot of spirit and it was enjoying to listen to it. Thats pretty much why I think a podcast shouldn't be 2 people that repeat the same opinion, more clashing is needed for it to be entertaining as well as informative to the listener! smile

I agree, I kept fast forwarding because no one was arguing. Felt like NPR's oatmeal style interviews. Don't get me wrong, I eat *** of oatmeal every week, but I like my aural entertainment a little feistier than my breakfast.

Basic takeaway, Winter is a big girl and can handle harder questions. Make her sweat a little, and not just cuz the AC is off.

I'd vote for winter to take the spot honestly. Plus a female on there would "magically" increase the audience by 50%. tongue I would offer to take the position myself, but then there would be claims I was spying on the podcast or something. lol

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

This is starting to feel like when I logged into game and noticed Gweee dropped a silver star in my roles list and [Director] after my name on Teamspeak. wink

I'd want others to give it a go - I enjoy -listening- to the podcast smile  But if people want me to give it a go of my own, I can do so.

----

Grem's idea is to have more than 1 guest host, which seems like a good way to get more view points out.

Arga wrote:

Grem's idea is to have more than 1 guest host, which seems like a good way to get more view points out.

I have gotten a few PMs on the board here. So I am making a list already.

So ppl please PM me. smile

Winter Solstice wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Sounds like their problem, not ours.

->You just lost The Game<-

44 (edited by MoBIoS 2011-07-27 20:00:31)

Nice Podcast again, listened to it in my car, on my way home from work today. I feel sorry for Kalsius to leave, take care m8 and hope to see you back.

And @Winter, I think all of us but a mere few are actually very happy, to have you guys and girls are on the server. Spices many things up. Sure that big bubble NeX on the Corp visuals http://www.perpetuum-online.com/~gargaj/ looks a bit weary and everyone has got their tinfoil hat on, which road NeX will take.  But we are very much enjoying our brawls on Alsbale. Expecially all our new guys, as they feel they are faced with even EP skilled soldars. Keep it up, it was a much refreshing podcast smile

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

I think many people are still thinking that Nex will shard. It happend to many corps within a few months of the launch, corps that had played together for months already in beta. If they can get the capitalist model to work though, there's much less chance of that shard happening. From the podcast though, keeping the indy/carebears happy by valuing them is a great start, and makes sharding less likely; especially if they are the majority of your membership.

Good luck, the Capital model can work!

46 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-27 22:25:30)

MoBIoS wrote:

Nice Podcast again, listened to it in my car, on my way home from work today. I feel sorry for Kalsius to leave, take care m8 and hope to see you back.

And @Winter, I think all of us but a mere few are actually very happy, to have you guys and girls are on the server. Spices many things up. Sure that big bubble NeX on the Corp visuals http://www.perpetuum-online.com/~gargaj/ looks a bit weary and everyone has got their tinfoil hat on, which road NeX will take.  But we are very much enjoying our brawls on Alsbale. Expecially all our new guys, as they feel they are faced with even EP skilled soldars. Keep it up, it was a much refreshing podcast smile

Well, people remember THIS bubble, not that one :

http://i.imgur.com/c3rgX.jpg

Hard to tell cause the scale is different, but it was quite a bit larger wink

Arga wrote:

I think many people are still thinking that Nex will shard. It happend to many corps within a few months of the launch, corps that had played together for months already in beta. If they can get the capitalist model to work though, there's much less chance of that shard happening. From the podcast though, keeping the indy/carebears happy by valuing them is a great start, and makes sharding less likely; especially if they are the majority of your membership.

Good luck, the Capital model can work!

"Don't worry, they'll be breaking up soon" has been the JOTM for us wink

----

Since NeX is only about a month old  its still early days.. but if you can make it JOTY then i'll eat my own balls =]

We're big on making sure that leadership is open to those that show inclination and effort, and we're big enough that there are a ton of places where leaders are needed. So there hasn't been much interest in starting a new thing, or any emergence of factions within the Corp. A ton of folks that started as solo players have stepped up and now lead team efforts in all sorts of areas.

Plus we're very careful to make sure that everyone is valued for their contributions. We all know that industry makes what we all want, that pvp scouts for and protects the miners (and entertains with our ridiculous hijinks!), that mission runners provide the nic, and that ratters provide the kernels for research. And also that the top tier of leadership stays up late in meetings to get stuff organized, and doesn't just slurp the wallet for income. I've personally handed out millions from my own wallet and assets to poorer players (pve and pvp) and to industry, and I know I'm not alone in that or even particularly noteworthy.

A number of habitual carebears have made the jump to pvp because, well, we in the Kill Krewe are having so much fun that it's hard to ignore. And, more importantly, we've worked hard to create a culture where, as in the Goon and TEST recruitment videos, newbies are seen in the proper light: as our greatest asset.

All in all I don't think a shard is likely. As corps go we're not perfect, sure, and some of us *cough cough* enjoy our trolling a tad more than is healthy. But the culture of goodfights and sharing and general fun having has taken root, and I think a lot of our guys would rather stick around to cultivate and enjoy it than start their own thing.

Politically we're definitely closer to the council model than to the current autocracies, but we've been able to avoid the Byzantine bullshit that ruins so many of those. We've also got enough to do in our various departments that no one has time for power struggles. And while it sucks that Gweee isn't on much, because he's an awesome dude, I think it's probably a good thing that we lucked out and got an absentee robolord rather than an always on micromanager. Especially when Gweee seems naturally inclined toward a council model and spent the early days sharing out power and making sure a good chunk of people could carry out the day to day garbage necessary to run a big corp.