1 (edited by Neoxx 2011-07-20 23:53:53)

Topic: 50m Kain vs Explosion Damage

Something needs to change.  Using the setup on a Kain (or Arbalest for that matter) with Gauss Guns and Magnedart ammo is completely stupid now with explosion damage being about 150m outside of your optimal range.  Trying to kill anything bigger than an assault is pretty much a suicide run, as you're already using a lightweight frame to get in close so most mechs could kill you when they explode.

Now I am not, and have never been, a Nuimqol pilot.  This was brought to my attention today about the stupid contradiction between these 2 very good parts of the game (explosion damage and shotgun-of-doom Kains).  I'm surprised nothing has been done about it yet, as I was told no one is bothering with this fit anymore.

A few fixes were suggested in our TS while discussing this.  Some are blatantly horrible, some not.  I figured throwing them all out there would only help further ideas of what might be able to counteract this problem.  These are not meant to be used in conjunction with eachother, but thats not out of the question.

• Reduce or remove explosion damage taken from enemy explosions.

• Delay explosion damage to allow escape.

• Explosion damage increases with the number of nearby bots (similar to Interference)

• Module to reduce explosion damage taken (leg slot like resists)

• Gauss gun effect that reduces explosion damage taken immediately after firing.

• Effect that reduces explosion damage dealt when killed by gauss gun.

• Increase gauss gun falloff to allow them to kill from range, but do majority damage in optimal.

PS: Alf, do not pick one of these at random without support from at least 1 other person.

->You just lost The Game<-

Re: 50m Kain vs Explosion Damage

is any1 using close range in pvp anymore since range extender are without penalty and t4 long range weapons availiable for all pvp corps?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Or alternatively, just redesign the magnedart ammo because none of those solutions would actually work in practice considering how paper-thin the Kain is (possibly explosion resists, but that'd just mean we'd have Rep-x2 exp. resist -LWF kains running around at max speeds going TROLOLOLO).

The entire "shotgun" system and all other close-range weapons are obviously useless since explosion damage was put in.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

With your logic, Anni, nearly every module is without penalty.  You use a head slot, which means less room for tunings.  Still, the range buff outweighs the damage buff in nearly evety case.

So, are you telling me people do use this setup but with range extenders?

Also, I think the most viable is the gauss guns reducing explosiin damage dealt to everyone.  Personal resists would just be funny.... anti-suicide smile

The problem isn't the the gun itself, its range is fine for a short-range weapon. The problem is in the magnedart, because it has -75% range, which just plain kills it.

CIR Complaint Form

I think if you would change the composite and magnedarts to -25% and -50% it could be possible to actually get away from the blast.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I like the concept of delay the explosion.
With some sort of shinny annimation something 5 second delay you allowed people to get out of range if they aware.
It s make the gameplay even more dynamics and suits well to this bots, Rush in burst it an rush out before it s blow up in your face.

8 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-21 12:00:58)

Well in Mechwarrior you had a few second before your/enemy bot exploded after damaging it enough, but giving it here it would be bad imo. People already know when they are going to die and can try to run (talking about a mech which is going to die in a group).

If am all for the explosion size connected with interference. This idea was already posted in some other thread about it. (like a month or 2 ago).

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Put the one second +- random(0.5s) delay. Should solve a problem.

I don t get your point.
It snot about give time to the one who gone blow to run away avoiding friendly fire or causing damage by his blow but to give time to the other bot to get there *** of the range of blow.

Assaults have to risk it. We've lost people time and again to big *** explosions from mechs and heavies. No offense, but this seems like one of those suck it up situations for Kains. You can trade out the ammo for lower dps or take the risk of getting hammered into bits by the pop. That seems pretty fair given how sexy Kains are.

Otoh if you want to lower explosion range I know for a fact a lot of our guys will be pleased lol.

Daimonea wrote:

I don t get your point.
It snot about give time to the one who gone blow to run away avoiding friendly fire or causing damage by his blow but to give time to the other bot to get there *** of the range of blow.

I would never intentionally get out of the range of a blow.

+1 for an aoe dampening leg mod.
Graphicaly change the Evasive mod alittle.... Bam theres your mod itself
T4 reduces received Aoe damage by 40%, reduce Top speed a bit and is a unique item. Stack that with close range dual plated Kain and you have a uber gate camping machine. Probably would cause Imba imo but why not give us more goodies to try.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Assaults have to risk it. We've lost people time and again to big *** explosions from mechs and heavies. No offense, but this seems like one of those suck it up situations for Kains. You can trade out the ammo for lower dps or take the risk of getting hammered into bits by the pop. That seems pretty fair given how sexy Kains are.

Otoh if you want to lower explosion range I know for a fact a lot of our guys will be pleased lol.

Assaults risk less because explosion damage works with surface size.

Other two faction ammos - Heat IX, Crypto - have +range modifiers in the range of 20-25% if im not mistaken, magnedarts having a -range modifier of 75% is a bit overkill.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Other two faction ammos - Heat IX, Crypto - have +range modifiers in the range of 20-25% if im not mistaken, magnedarts having a -range modifier of 75% is a bit overkill.

Do we take less from mech pops in raw damage? Yes. But as a percentage of expected ehp, it's much closer than you'd think. Not to mention assaults take a cockslapping when they engage a mech.

Is the ammo balanced? Maybe. But that's a different question, and not one I want to weigh in on as I don't pvp in mechs (yet). I just want to say that assaults have to risk it too, and if the damage is good enough that shotgun kains are worth using then they should suck it up like we do and enjoy their opportunity to *** face with lolarious dps.

well, how much damage can a Kain tank without a lwf? and what range does it have when using magnedarts with EM guns?
what speed does it reach?

how long does it take a skilled Kain to get back to full hitpoints with a tank-fit?
who runs around with a armor-nexus?

And NEOXX i was not suggestion using magnedart + rangexteder,
and yes the penalty is the slot, but as you say - its worth it, especially on missile that can use that range at most terrain without any hassle.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Why would a kain not use lwffor this?  How could I get in close without it or with plates on it?  You could tele camp but that's dumb.

We're not talking about missiles btw, so just stop. Magnedart with EM is stupid because tou get better dps and range with gauss and other ammo.

Maybe increase range of magnedart, but it would have to be quite a bit to get away from explosions, and negate the purpose of it.

I personally love shotgun setups but with explosion damage they are almost completely useless. Maybe a deflective armor mod that reduces armor hp in exchange for seriously negating explosion damage? Maybe 90% explosion reduction at T4 with -20% armor hp?

I am a blue pilot.

I would prefer a change in gauss guns that boost falloff and cut down optimal ranges. This would allow for magnedart ammo to be used in pvp more successfully, because you'll be doing most of your damage in falloff unless you want to be shotgunning it. This also synergizes with the Kain's falloff modifier.

Another alternative is to change the ammo itself so that it has a falloff increase and optimal decrease. Probably +50-100% falloff, and -75% optimal still.

I'd also prefer it if magnedart ammo was not 100% kinetic damage, as that makes it absurbly easy to tank for; but then, that might make it imba and also simply replace composite ammo.

We talked about this months ago, any boosts to magnadart just makes kains lol imbalanced. It'll be non-varying mech gangs again.

Then reduce damage with increased range.  I love how people dismiss something that's very incremental as being imba and not adjustable.

Smash them with magnedart and run like hell while your team finishes them? Then you get the best of both worlds, massive unnerfed magnedart damage, and zero explosion damage.

Syndic wrote:

Heat IX and crypto have negative damage bonus and higher optimal!!!

Magnedart have HUUUUUUUGE damage bonus and huge negative optimal. So its just fine.
You can have magnedart on -50% optimal mods .... but than nerf the damage!!! (and dont come with that missiles (compact) makes same damage as magnedart ... just watch the rof ... kain have much much much more dps ...
so maybe for magnedart (medium) : -50% optimal, 50 kinetic damage ?

Exomorph wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Heat IX and crypto have negative damage bonus and higher optimal!!!

Magnedart have HUUUUUUUGE damage bonus and huge negative optimal. So its just fine.
You can have magnedart on -50% optimal mods .... but than nerf the damage!!! (and dont come with that missiles (compact) makes same damage as magnedart ... just watch the rof ... kain have much much much more dps ...
so maybe for magnedart (medium) : -50% optimal, 50 kinetic damage ?

Medium Magnedart - -75% optimal range, 72 kinetic damage.
Medium Crypto - +20% optimal range, 44 thermal damage.
Medium HEAT-IX Ballistic Missile(long range!) - +45m range, 70 siesmic damage.

So, at which point does 28 damage equal to ~95% optimal range difference being balanced? ^^

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Medium Magnedart - -75% optimal range, 72 kinetic damage.
Medium Crypto - +20% optimal range, 44 thermal damage.
Medium HEAT-IX Ballistic Missile(long range!) - +45m range, 70 siesmic damage.

So, at which point does 28 damage equal to ~95% optimal range difference being balanced? ^^

Maybe the damage multiplier on EM or even on gauss guns ? ^^
You can do 400-600% damage with em guns.
With missiles max 200%, with lasers i dunno, but i dont think its bigger than max 300%!
(and still count ROF!!! missiles 5 sec!!!)

So thats why!