Topic: future plans topics/forum tree

Hi

Is there (in case I missed it) a place where currently considered ideas are summed up by devs ? Something where I can follow current game plans. Searching the forums for feature requests and such does not always help since those are player requests.

f.e. I found a thread with Robot classification proposal (http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … he-robots/) but since there is no information on planned robots (I have not found any), it's hard to contribute any meaningfull ides.

like this one:

3 robot categories:

1. spiders - medium speed, best terrain climbers (can traverse the steepest slopes), basicaly recon, light weapon platforms
2. quadropeds - fastest speed, medium weapon platforms, EW platforms - basicaly stalkers to catch and pin down prey, terain traversal in the middle
3. bipeds - slowest but heaviest weapon platforms, big guns, big tanks, worst terain traversal.

(of course industrials are neither :-) they should be wheel/catterpilar like robots to differentiate).

however I have not found any information if such things are planned/considered or were already abandoned in the past.

Re: future plans topics/forum tree

There was a different classification back in the early days of development, it went:

- runner (light)
- crawler (assault)
- mech
- heavy mech
- walker (see here: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Media:Concept_art)
- platform (semi-building)

We'll give it some thought.

Calvin, what about tank?

Hugh Ruka wrote:

Hi

Is there (in case I missed it) a place where currently considered ideas are summed up by devs ? Something where I can follow current game plans.

Yes, the dev blog:
http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

5 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-07-14 14:20:36)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Hugh Ruka wrote:

Hi

Is there (in case I missed it) a place where currently considered ideas are summed up by devs ? Something where I can follow current game plans.

Yes, the dev blog:
http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

that's not what I meant :-) any progress  on the issue or its status is not tracked there .... I meant something like a changelog style blog :-) and all of them in one place sorted by category (market, combat, equipment, robots, quests etc.).

6 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-07-14 14:22:12)

DEV Calvin wrote:

There was a different classification back in the early days of development, it went:

- runner (light)
- crawler (assault)
- mech
- heavy mech
- walker (see here: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Media:Concept_art)
- platform (semi-building)

We'll give it some thought.

the clasification is actualy insignificant, but there seems to be a gap between the crawlers and bipeds/mechs. anyway the quadroped in the concept art is what inspired me for this. the variety of available bots is lacking somewhat :-) maybe I ma spoiled by the comaprably huge ship selection in EVE.

the image of cat/wolf like mechs speeding through terrain to reach a group of heavy mechs is something I am starting to like more and more.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

that's not what I meant :-) any progress  on the issue or its status is not tracked there .... I meant something like a changelog style blog :-) and all of them in one place sorted by category (market, combat, equipment, robots, quests etc.).

Then I suppose you don't mean our changelog either? smile

We don't have a detailed list of the changes we'd like to implement in the future. Partly this is because knowing the future would affect current game economy. But the main reason is that maintaining such a public list would take up precious development time that we could much better spend with actual development.

8 (edited by Aerodrome Engineer 2011-07-14 15:29:13)

All I would like to know if EVERYHTING... no i'm kidding, but I do want to be assured that the DEVs have some sort of 'endgame' to their plan.  For example, I want the DEVS to seriously consider what they want out of the game in a year, where they want to go within a year and what long-range things they want to imp,emnt but current programming, population, etc wont allow for it.

As long as the DEVs are not sitting in the chiars thinking their game is done I'm good.  But I want a devblog saying that every month or so.  Be that the expansion blog whathave you i dont really care.

The devblog has some posts about the short and long term ideas for the game.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

DEV Zoom wrote:

knowing the future would affect current game economy

Does that mean that having a current game economy is something that will actually happen in the future? <smirky grin>

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

DEV Zoom wrote:
Hugh Ruka wrote:

Then I suppose you don't mean our changelog either? smile

We don't have a detailed list of the changes we'd like to implement in the future. Partly this is because knowing the future would affect current game economy. But the main reason is that maintaining such a public list would take up precious development time that we could much better spend with actual development.

that's the explanation I was looking for :-) thanks

you see this game of yours has plenty potential. I spent about 5 years in EVE and the developer communication went worse over time. since ideas is the only thing I can contribute, I was looking for a place where I can find some information about the directions planned in the immediate and long term future.

this currently feels like the early years of EVE with developer presence in the community the same. thanks for bringing back that experience.

While I love hearing "We'll make all these amazing features!" in the long run it's usually disappointing.

The dev blog gives us all a good idea where the game is going but doesn't promise anything.
That's the best any company can offer because things should be reactive rather than set in stone and I fully support this.

However some simple things such as robot classifications should be easier to find.

• Light

• Assault

• Mech

• Heavy Mech

• Walker

• Destroyer

These have been the names used since late alpha and early beta. Just like Alpha and beta to describe safety levels of islands.

Nhf but Walker sounds really *** as a category...

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Nhf but Walker sounds really *** as a category...

I personally like the classification "walker". Almost makes it sound Robo Cop-ish smile

If not walker what do you suggest as an alternative class name?

Also, since the this thread started has any more info been released? Variety in gameplay is what helps MMOs succeed in early stages (personal opinion) and I think it's time devs at least start looking at adding new bots or add more variation to existing boys (I.e. mk3)

15 (edited by Smokeyii 2011-08-05 16:43:42)

Wait, so you mean I can role play a Texas Ranger once Walker class robots are relased?! /faints.

Demand one of the robots names be Nuck Chorris!

And! has a beard graphic!