1 (edited by EVE Baudolino 2011-08-07 12:00:53)

Topic: Weather effects and evolving ground warfare..

The masking/detection ratio, draw distance, LOS are all functions that combine to create an interesting depth to movement in this game. I my opinion this is the deepest and most interesting aspect of PvP this game has to offer and i would love to see reconaissance, related mechanics to the preperation for combat be improved upon.

More focus on terrain variations and obstacles, atmospheric conditions such as moon vs no moon and weather conditions such as rain or fog..

Enhanced weather effects would also affect the effectiveness of and usability of the UAV.

Weather conditions
Light rain , Strong rain, Fog, no rain
Light Snow, thick snow, blizzard, no snow
Light winds, strong winds, hurricane

Atmospheric conditions
Moon vs no moon
Cloud cover vs no clouds (high clouds or low clouds)
Maybe EM storms or something

Atmospheric and weather conditions create various ground conditions that effect visibility, detection levels, mech Speed, locking ranges etc..

I think thermal vision, light enhancement and searchlights should be integrated rather than modular, but they should remain upgradeable.. wink

Re: Weather effects and evolving ground warfare..

This could be an alternative to cameras maybe? Created by a new module with ammo.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

3 (edited by Parson Grimes 2011-07-11 16:09:04)

Great idea.  In the old Looking Glass game Terra Nova, you could launch tiny flying recon drone cameras to scout out areas, it's a really cool bit of gameplay. 

Some kind of window-in-window tech?

The game already tracks travel paths, a UV vision head module could allow you to see the tracks of anyone passing through in the last few minutes (more time for Tiered items); and a leg slot UV masking module counter.

I like both ideas some form of reconisance in this game would be nice so far its purely light bots. I think some kind of bot maybe like a command bot it could use satellites or recon drones and watch the whole field and issue commands to people. They could also use Nexus to improve squads. This would add a really interesting function to pvp battles.

I'm thinking something with a bonus to signal detectors would work out better in the long run...

Guns nButter wrote:

I'm thinking something with a bonus to signal detectors would work out better in the long run...

Clearly there is a deliberation to be made in regards to the ambitious and the practical..

At this point in time, considering the limited content and gameplay mechanics, i believe Perpetuum to be best served by the ambitous..

In regards to the above, expanding on the possible gameplay mechanics inherent atmospheric and weather effects seems a natural road to take.

It would definately give PvP, in perpetuum, something no other MMOs (or multiplayer games i know of) have to offer. How to leverage all those gameplay possibilities though is the real question.

just updating the signal detector seems like a copout

8 (edited by Line 2011-07-14 23:24:02)

And night vision without need to launch something, maybe thermal one plox. Can help with night time LoS.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

And night vision without need to launch something, maybe thermal one plox. Can help with night time LoS.

This, absolutely, yes please. I'm tired of not being able to see stuff on my top monitor...

@ Baudolino - Being ambitious leads to the initial assault changes that turned them into FOTM. Let's leave ambitious on the drawing board, throw the board out the window, and then shoot it with a 50 caliber machine gun.

10 (edited by Arga 2011-07-15 01:11:26)

... and drive over it with a sequar, twice.

*honk*

Edit:

"No lewis, it's prefectly safe."
"I don't think using TNT as a building material is safe Simon."
"But it doesn't detonate without a lee-ver now."
"Oh God!"

Some patches have unintended consequences.

how about decoys ? basicaly without visual confirmation you'd be pickung up a robot on your sensors of a selectable type (or bound to the decoy type).

anyway this game has loads of potential for proper electronic/sensor warfare implementations.

I'm quite happy to abstract drones as part of a signal detection outfit. I don't need to see them.

13 (edited by EVE Baudolino 2011-07-15 15:33:05)

As far as "Launch UAV" goes i think there`s a way to do it in a meaningfull way.

Personally i would like to have 2 different detection methods in the UAV.
1. Electronic that can be countered with masking skills and mods.
2. Visual detection - the user has to look through the UAV camera himself in order to
                              actually see what`s going on. That way detection relies on user focus
                              rather than an "I win" functionality.

ALSO..

Enhanced weather effects would also affect the effectiveness of and usability of the UAV.

Weather conditions
Light rain , Strong rain, Fog, no rain
Light Snow, thick snow, blizzard, no snow
Light winds, strong winds, hurricane

Atmospheric conditions
Moon vs no moon
Cloud cover vs no clouds (high clouds or low clouds)
Maybe EM storms or something

Atmospheric and weather conditions create various ground conditions that effect visibility, detection levels, mech Speed, locking ranges etc..

I think thermal vision, light enhancement and searchlights should be integrated rather than modular, but they should remain upgradeable.. wink

updated post to better reflect the topic.

Im very like it! Nice ideas to make weather condition as pvp factor!

[joke]Whats about to change some resists in dependable of weather? Kains kills artemises during EW storm big_smile [/joke]

I'd like catastrophic weather events ... like a thunderstorm sweeping part of the island and doing damage to the bots caught inside ... would cure some AFK folks (me included) :-)

also a magnetic storm of sorts that creates interference or reduces signal detection of bots in the area ...

did someone dig up my beta topic?
big_smile

weather should affect all aspects of combat. from thunderstrikes to sandstorm that affects weapons range/damage, or even dealing damage

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

did someone dig up my beta topic?
big_smile

weather should affect all aspects of combat. from thunderstrikes to sandstorm that affects weapons range/damage, or even dealing damage

great minds think alike :-))

it's so obvious where the game needs to go ...

A perfect tie in to the self-destuct feature that is supposed to be coming soon. Actiavate and a bolt of lighting strikes your bot and you splode for aoe splash damage!

hmm, what happens if i shoot with missiles in an ark through the big energy2earth beam?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Same thing that happens if you beat on plutonium with a hammer.

old topic but definitely think different times of day should effect masking or signal detection .. fog rolls in and your signal masking should be boosted by a percentage

http://www.emptywords.org/
Just another Fail F...

indeed, good idea.

cant wait for the first thunderstorm!