Re: List of things / impression of the game as a new player.

Elric, the targeting system works fine, there's just a learning curve.

"r" quick-key designates the selected robot as the 'Primayr"
"f" quick-key mean's "lock but don't primary", also referred to as secondary lock

Your weapons can only fire at the primary target. If they are running on auto, and you press the "r" key on a new target, you've designated that as the primary. However since the target is not locked, the weapons can't fire, so they cycle, wasting time.

Auto-fire weapons will also stop firing when the target is dead.

To use the targeting system, press 'f' to pre-lock the target, and leave it selected. When the current target dies, press 'r' and if  you want 'space-bar' to alpha strike and auto-fire the new target.

The only time you use 'r' to target is if you are switching to a previously locked target, or if it's the first target.

GIX wrote:

Game needs auto next target primary. Really seems weird that you can have something locked activate your guns and not shoot because you didn't re click something as primary.

Just adding to this, this is in fact the ONLY thing in the game I find annoying.. First thing I target should be primary and then hold on that until it dies or I say something else should be primary. Double clicking on something new currently makes it primary which is not what I wanted to do.

I have worked out how to get around this (lock the first target using the red lock symbol, lock the rest using the white one) but it feels like a work around for bad design rather than a fix..

I hate to say it but eves locking is easier to work with.. I would love to see 'ctrl+click = lock' and 'hold ctrl = freeze overview' make it in to this game.

Other than that im absolutely loving this game!

I'm having fun as a noob in this game.  I thought the tutorials were simple to understand, and when I had questions, the help within game explained in good detail.  I also appreciated all the guides and helps posted by the community in the forums.  Although I've seen some forum griping about the graphics, I like them fine.  But then, I'm a hugh scifi fan so I like the look of the planet...  Starting 2 accounts at the same time was a little tedious because I had to do all the tutorials over twice.  LOL 

The only real problem I've had is sometimes significant lag and other wierdness when trying to run 2 clients on one machine in windowed mode.  Part of that is probably due to my location and the infrastructure available to me(central Montana, US which is sort of in the mountain backwaters of the US).   

The other problem that wasn't so hard to solve, was trying to shoot npc's for noob tutorials with my nooblet bot in the same area where other people with better bots would out compete my target lock times.   Don't really understand why they were in the same area the noob tutorials sent me to, but I just had to outwait them a bit and get a little more effecient with shortcut keys. 

PO is in its infancy and I will enjoy seeing what it will become as time moves on.

*breaths deeply* Check post #26 for additional information on how targeting works, in answer to post #27.

Arga wrote:

*breaths deeply* Check post #26 for additional information on how targeting works, in answer to post #27.

I know exactly how targeting works, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work better. For example, if I only have 1 target locked could it PLEASE be set as primary for me?

Grevous wrote:

While some of the points are valid alot are just asking for perpetuum to be made into Eve mark 2.

As an Eve refugee I want to say that we should be adapting to a new game with a different interface rather than asking for it to be made into what we just left.  Show a little respect and adapt not ask for things to be changed.

Like I said some points are good but for the main part were just being rude. Alot of the existing player base that I have spoken too are starting to get annoyed with the way we are behaving.

+10 to you Sir. There's way to much EVE yammering here, we should let these ppl do their things in peace. And yes I have a couple requests, but nothing major. I enjoy this game and plan to stay here for a long time.

Lana Torrin wrote:
Arga wrote:

I know exactly how targeting works, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work better. For example, if I only have 1 target locked could it PLEASE be set as primary for me?

But players don't Always want the first and only target to be primary. In PVP it's common to prelock players, Primary shows as Red and Secondary shows as Yellow to that player.

The way the game knows is by selecting either "r" or "f' when you target. There's no way the game will guess correctly when double clicking if you want it to primary or secondary.

This has been brought up many many times already. It should be possible to configure the action you want, I'll agree with that.

And I know what your saying, you have 2 targets locked in PVE and kill 1, and want the other to just go Primary on automatically so you can keep firing. So the game has to somehow know that your fighting NPC's, which I'm not sure there is any specific distinction between an NPC bot and a player bot, then to also keep track of how many targets you have locked.

At the base level, your asking the game to be an AI targeting assistant. That is really a mechanic that gets added after combat gets too complicated for most players to track, which is certainly not the case in Perp... yet.

Arga wrote:

At the base level, your asking the game to be an AI targeting assistant. That is really a mechanic that gets added after combat gets too complicated for most players to track, which is certainly not the case in Perp... yet.

No, im really not. If you want to pre-target something and not actually fire, having the first one lock as primary does nothing except indicate to the person that they were the first one to get locked. There is nothing stopping you from changing primaries before you fire. Its not complicated or 'AI', just primary the first one that's locked and then if/when your primary dies primary the target at the top of the list. Your guns stop firing anyway so if this is not what you want to primary then its simply a matter of picking the one you do want.

Its not magic, its just better UI.

In pvp, knowing who your enemy has as primary is important information. Delaying primary until you fire gives you that much more time before they get repaired.

Also, some locks are friendly so you NEVER want a system to auto primary because it could mean firing on a friendly target when you only wanted to secondary target it. Remember, you only need prinary target to fire weapons, everything else can be done with secondary+focused.

To switch quickly between targets, tab or click on your next target, then just hit R when your primary dies.  It wont keep your weapons going, but it certainly isn't hard to do.

->You just lost The Game<-

+1 to what Neoxx said, wanted to post exactly the same points.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

We've been down this arguement path a few times, and it's almost always a PVE player (I'm a PVE player too) that wants to change the targeting system, because for farming NPC's it doesn't really matter that much what gets targeted/primaried.

As much as I would like something to make PVE easier, a game that starts making a distinction between PVE and PVP play is no longer a single persistant world. And it isn't always the PVP side that gets improvements and enhancements, but suggestions have to take into account the impact it will have on both sides.

In this case, the convience of auto-primary doesn't out-weigh the tactical advantages in PVP.

This convenience doesn't even have a tactical advantage in PVE if you are doing it in a group. I already got popped 2 times because someone primaried me  by mistake, don't want that too happen too often tongue

The initial impression I have got about perpetuum is actually very nice. Sure there are annoyances, stuff that you are not used to and so on, but overall it has got me to buy time codes.

Coming from EvE some of the things that comes to mind is:

Skilling system.

While the amount of points you get can be annoyingly slow I think this system beats EvEs queuing system with a stick. I remember how it was before the queue was introduced... it was really really bad. You had to put in a "long" skill every night not to lose SP. Nice one!

Combat system

Like any enthusiastic noob I started running around my target like a crazy man while shooting... until I found out moving around affects nothing. When you first target something your turret turns slowly to the target, but after that it moves instantly even if you run right through your opponent. It would be very nice if some kind of tracking would be implemented. This way the huge mechs would still be able to do MASSIVE damage to anything it hits, but facing a small nimble bot would result in a lot of misses, thus thwarting the "bigger is better" aspect a  bit.

I do find it kind of strange that it appears as if the bigger the bot the faster it runs (not sure about this, but it have looked like it during my time of playing)... I would kind of like the opposite. The smaller the bot the faster it would go.

Targeting

This one have taken a bit of getting used to. In the begining there was horrible list of curse words coming out of my mouth when I targeted one target and started firing and then when I began targeting the second one my guns would switch to that (double clicked) and stop firing on the first target. Thanks to whoever told me that primary target was R and just locking was F. Not its less of a pain...

Benefit of this mode of targeting is that you can switch target at a seconds notice and you dont have to worry about where your guns are currently pointing. It is simply diffrent way of doing stuff, but I would still like it better if the distinction between target and primary target were erased. I would like it so that you could simply select the one you wish to do something with, activate guns and then select another and do the same. The guns fixed to the first target would then keep firing on that and the other target gets the other volley.

Missioning

This leavs a bit to be wished. Same type of robot all over, but only one spot to do the killing... not only that, every time I have taken the noob mission the SAME spot have been the target area. If the kill missions would get random targets (depending on type of mission of course) in random locations then this would be so much better.

Mining

Just beginning here, but so far I find the part where you are looking for materials actually fun indeed... the mining part is, as usual, boring as hell, but I have no clue as to how to make that more immersing and fun. I have not tried the harvesting part though.

Invention/production

Not really tried this part yet, but what differs is the fact that you need to reverse engineer or prototype stuff before manufacturing. I have not done so yet so I can't say anything about it yet. From what I have seen it looks good thought.

Anyway. I have started two diffrent accs and bought a time code but have not redeemed it yet, but I will smile

"This way the huge mechs would still be able to do MASSIVE damage to anything it hits, but facing a small nimble bot would result in a lot of misses, thus thwarting the "bigger is better" aspect a  bit." This already is in place smile

Norrdec wrote:

"This way the huge mechs would still be able to do MASSIVE damage to anything it hits, but facing a small nimble bot would result in a lot of misses, thus thwarting the "bigger is better" aspect a  bit." This already is in place smile

Sweet Pie big_smile

Kobodera wrote:
Norrdec wrote:

Sweet Pie big_smile

As far as I understand it, it is in place, but not the way you think it is. In other words it's not based on "tracking" and the (angular) speed of the opponent.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

No, it's based on the dispersion rate of the weapons (medium EM guns have 10 if I am not mistaken). If the size of the targeted bot is 4 the chance to hit it is 4/10.

Pak wrote:
Kobodera wrote:
Norrdec wrote:

Sweet Pie big_smile

As far as I understand it, it is in place, but not the way you think it is. In other words it's not based on "tracking" and the (angular) speed of the opponent.

It is nice and simple for turrets your weapon has a hit dispersion value the target has a size value.

Divide the target size by hit dispersion = % change to hit.

Med lasers with 8m hit dispersin will have a 50% chance of hitting an assault bot (4m) or a 35% chance of hitting a light bot (3m).

For missiles there is direct hit chance based on weapon stats.

For there are extensions and modules to help reduce dispersion and reduce the target size.

Oh right the missiles work a bit different. The hit chance is the same but there is something called explosion size, which calculates the damage. If the explosion size is 8 and size of the bot is 4 the damage taken is 4/8=50% of max damage possible.