Re: Remove the effect of relation ration on manufacturing and refining

Lucius, I think you have a good point currently you are forced to play combat to get competitive in production.

Let me point out that most of the mechanics intended for this game has not given much thought for the solo player, and kernal research comes to mind, by which at least you could buy your way out of it.

On another note mmos are more inclined to introduce team play mechanics and I understand why, but the balance is tipped too much in team play favour imho.

aka celebro

This is not a solo game. Beta-players must have advantage over alpha solo-players. Theme for nothing.

Everyone should understand that any balancing generates only new a disbalance.

Сайт корпорации: www.chaos-online.ru
Раздел приема в корпорацию: http://www.chaos-online.ru/foru....-perpetuum/

28 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-04 07:39:22)

As Orbelea just pointed out Hunter, it's one thing to encourage groupplay, but still make it possible for soloplayers (e.g. kernel research), and another to shut them out.

Nonetheless, I do believe a solo player can do it, but it's long, boring grind which also includes doing all types of missions on both alpha and beta.

Once aganin though, what's wrong with the 'coin' system? If someone needs the relation themselves, they just hand it in, if not, they can sell it on and get some extra NIC. To make the missions a bit more balanced, different missions (type and level) could give different coins. Therefore, combat coins would be priced higher, and transport coins lower. It would also add an interesting dynamic element to missions.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

If someone needs the relation themselves, they just hand it in, if not, they can sell it on and get some extra NIC.

I am totally disagree. From a side of game mechanics it can evolve into situation, when whole corp working for reputation of one person. From a side of roleplaying: theese corporations should respect those who making missions, not unknown persons who will buy relations.

Yeah the coin system seems like a nice idea to begin with, but Alexadar picked it apart pretty easily. Sounds too much like a homogenizing feature that popular theme park mmos tend to employ.

To clarify my position a bit.

I think that the respective professions should have corresponding assignments associated to them. Also I personally think that each corporation should have its standing broken into the respective divisions.

So for instance someone who grinds in PvE combat doesn't get a refine bonus and those that mine don't get a repair bonus etc.

As for the "coin" system, I'm somewhat conflicted. I see that as something which is harvestable and exploitable. Relations should be rewarded to those that put in the actual effort, not purchasable.

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

As for the "coin" system, I'm somewhat conflicted. I see that as something which is harvestable and exploitable. Relations should be rewarded to those that put in the actual effort, not purchasable.

If you purchase relation there is still effort involved as you will need nic (effort) to purchase it. It's just a choice you make where you prefer a different activity to make nic and get something in return for another activity you don't like. Isn't that one of the reasons we like sandbox games so we make a choice on which activity we enjoy the most?

aka celebro

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Once aganin though, what's wrong with the 'coin' system? If someone needs the relation themselves, they just hand it in, if not, they can sell it on and get some extra NIC. To make the missions a bit more balanced, different missions (type and level) could give different coins. Therefore, combat coins would be priced higher, and transport coins lower. It would also add an interesting dynamic element to missions.

I will type again: whole corp will work for industrial relation of one person. Later on, noob agents will sell coins for rich agents: richer will be powerfull. Whole economy will be changed... This is global changes, whole market will be shifted...how do you want to balance this?

34 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-04 20:25:44)

Alexadar wrote:
Lucius Marcellus wrote:

I will type again: whole corp will work for industrial relation of one person. Later on, noob agents will sell coins for rich agents: richer will be powerfull. Whole economy will be changed... This is global changes, whole market will be shifted...how do you want to balance this?

The 'noob agent' is in no way obliged to sell it, he can keep it and use it himself. If he needs the reputation himself later on, well then he can buy it from someone else. There is no abuse. There is a market for almost everything in this game, so why not this? What makes this grind so sacred and special to all other grinds?

As Orbelea pointed out, why do you care who carries out the grind? That person is paid to do it by someone who values it more. But it is still there. And saying I give up nothing is such utter nonsense, I pay for it, NIC which I have earnt doing other things (things I actually happen to enjoy, and the reason I still keep my accounts subscribed).

Now, if you oppose this system though, how come you're okay with the current kernel research system? Surely that is essentially the exact same thing?

Alexadar wrote:

I am totally disagree. From a side of game mechanics it can evolve into situation, when whole corp working for reputation of one person. From a side of roleplaying: theese corporations should respect those who making missions, not unknown persons who will buy relations.

1. A lot of corps already boost to their manufacturers by keeping them in squad, so really that is not that different. If a corp wants to boost one manufacturer alone, fine with me, but that will certainly mean a lot of extra logistics as that account will have to use like 10 different factories!

2. I honestly do not see your 'roleplaying' point, it could easily be justified by 'bribing offcials' or simply saying it's an item the corporation is looking for, and whomever supplies it is the one they reward. Really, this is not a problem.

Seems one step in the right direction is coming... (new devblog)

37 (edited by EXILE CORP 2011-08-04 17:29:29)

If anything relation should not affect efficiency, They should add a charge to use the refinery that is based on your rep, the delta should only be affected by your skills.

Basically this is like saying the terminals are screwing us over and some how being on better terms means the terminal owners steal less from us.

Doesn't make much sense for reputation to be NIC purchasable. It is, after all, supposed to indicate whether a faction likes you or not. It would be an odd society that allowed me to sell off my university degrees and job experience to some rich guy when I'm hard up for cash. "I realize you thought I was a reliable worker, but I sold that to Tim. So he's the one you think is reliable now." You can't commodify everything. roll

I'd be very in favour of both manufacturing missions and linking facilities to sub-faction corps instead of the whole faction. Those are fantastic ideas.

Another possibility might be raising your productivity for a facility through repeated use of that same facility. It would represent things like familiarity with that base's equipment, and being considered a "regular" by local staff. A downside is that it could anchor you to a single location. But long-game players could also build competitive advantages by developing relations at multiple bases.

Remember that "fair" and "identical" are not interchangeable. Progress in each profession should have its own unique gameplay characteristics to give the game as much variety as possible. Relations should remain more useful to some than to others. Same goes for things like NIC, territorial knowledge, fitting skills, etc. Variety keeps games fun.

That's exactly the point, they terminal takes a 'cut' of the refined materials as payment, and the better your rep the less they take.

The problem isn't with that mechanic, it's more that the rep grind is important to one group of players while another group can ignore it completely.

Arga wrote:

That's exactly the point, they terminal takes a 'cut' of the refined materials as payment, and the better your rep the less they take.

I was just suggesting another way to make the grind activity more related to the goal. Rather than explicit assignments, simply doing a lot of your own industry in the same place might be an option, and for specific, one-base-only gains, not general faction or even corp gains.

Arga wrote:

The problem isn't with that mechanic, it's more that the rep grind is important to one group of players while another group can ignore it completely.

There's a lot of grinding that comes from the ridiculous amounts of active experience needed to gain tactical advantages in combat PvP. Intimate knowledge of local terrain, the ability to guess another person's skill and fitting before engaging, it all takes ages of active work to internalize. Indies are self-sufficient (NIC-wise) as industrialists; you earn money doing what you're earning money to do. Combat PvPers need a lot of grind time in non-PvP to fund new bots and replace losses. So there are two "grinds" that aren't shared by industrialists. Fair, but not identical.

Other roles have their own unique grinds, too.

The difference between the 2 is that the rep grind is a game enforced mechanic that requires a fixed amount of grinding regardless of your personal skill. I fully agree that any person that wants to PVP needs to gain experience, but that rate and length of grind is dependant on the person and not a fixed time game mechanic. Because it's not a game mechanic, I'm not sure it even falls under the term 'grind', and if it does, then monotonus-repetitive-game-controlled activity needs a term of it's own.

42 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-08-05 00:23:31)

Paragon, how can you call things like analyzing terrain a grind? You will have to explain this further if you truly believe in that yourself, and I'll counter it more extensively when I have more time.

The problem, as I, and I think Arga, sees it is that industrialists are subjects to very heavy grinds. The longest one being the kernel reseach, why do we have to be the only ones bearing the grinds?

And no, a combat player does not have to grind, he simple needs to earn a bit of NIC, which he can choose to do in a variety of ways. For me to obtain reputation, I have to repeat the same missions 100 times or so.

I will once again reiterate one of my main arguments. If grinds are so much fun, let's indeed introduce the +damage (based on relations ratio) into PvE and PvP combat.

Now, if you think that sounds like a bad suggestion, why are you so fine with me having to grind? I'm not sure about you, but what I enjoy most about this game is not the long grinds. Some grinds, sure, but both relations grind and relation ratio grind? Please...

"Grind" is relative, IMO. I see having to farm mobs or chase down artifacts to fund my EWar bots as mindnumbingly grindy. (For some, OTOH, PvE and artifacting are awesome and the only things worth doing in PO.) Apart from these, the "variety of ways" a PvPer can fund themselves amounts to an alt account trained for a more lucrative profession, or being good enough at PvP to raid for profit. Regardless, that "a combat player does not have to grind" is ridiculous.

On the "terrain familiarity" bit, I may have misread post #39 as a response to me, when I now realize it could have been meant for EXILE CORP. Assuming it was directed at me, my point was roughly aimed at the fact that repeating tasks for slight personal gains each time wears many masks, and doesn't have to manifest as slowly-changing variables in a character file to qualify as a grind.

But, fine, if "grind" is only and exactly some kind of repetitive task whose sole purpose is to run up a particular quantifiable attribute at a predictable rate, then yeah, you're grinding and I'm not. If grinding, however, is more generously defined as something repetitive you don't like doing that enables something you do like doing, we are both definitely grinding and probably in several different ways.

I'm also pretty sure I suggested to replace assignment-sourced reputation with one that comes simply from being a frequent user of a particular facility (no assignments). I sympathize with your complaint. Having to geoscan and bounty-hunt to get a factory manager to like you is absurd. hmm OTOH, pure extension-based efficiency seems just as off to me as having to run unrelated missions.

Maybe, at heart, the complaint has more to do with it being too hard to turn a profit as a younger player? Obviously reputation wouldn't be such a long grind (even in the current system) if it was for better--as opposed to merely some--profit. As you said, an upcoming patch might help with that, but more could probably be done to fix the pacing for indies. Otherwise, I'd just have to wonder how someone can choose the grindiest profession of every MMO ever and then complain about having to grind. tongue

It's less a complaint then trying to open the Dev's eyes. Relation played a more important role for everyone in Beta, but it was changed, and this is just something that got overlooked/back-burnered.

Flipping it around and turning it inside out with discussion is just a way to expose more sides of the issue and perhaps help the Dev's see a better way to accomplish the same thing.

Well, if one would accept such a vague definition of grind, there are many other grind to "researching what items is worth producing, "gathering ores" and "advertising your goods". The difference however is that these are more intrinsic to the manufacturing profession, and if you don't like them, you have probably chosen the wrong career.