1 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-03 11:21:35)

Topic: Remove the effect of relation ration on manufacturing and refining

Suggestion:
As the title says, I believe the effect of relation ration on manufacturing and refining should be removed (or at least reduced), and instead high relations should primarily increase the payout of missions (or other things directly related to what a mission-er actually does).

Alternative
Implement manufacturing/prototyping missions as the ones described by Arga below, and let the standings from these alone determine the bonus.

Argument:
Why should an extreme mission grinder have a huge advantage in production? For me at least, doing PvE missions is separate activity to manufacturing, just as PvE missions is a very separate activity from PvP. Why then, should days and days of grinding mind-numbingly boring missions be a prerequisite for the production process? If you really want a grind for a manufacturer, why not at least not make it related to what he does? (e.g. dependent on what he produces)

Some numbers:
First of all I know relations ratio has some on manufacturing, but I do not have any numbers for this. However, it's effects on refining has been explored quite at length (http://atg.bplaced.net/p/c/refinery/). Now let's make a few comparisons (let's assume level 10 extension, level 2 refinery).

To create X units of commodity, need this amount of raw material:
0% Relation: 100 (purely normalized)
20% Relation: 95
40% Relation: 90
60% Relation: 85
(So it's 0.25% reduction for each 1% of relation)

So, comparing a mission-hater industrialist with 10% relation ratio, and a savvy all-day grinder with 50% relation, it's a 10% reduction. This is in my opinion a very large effect, especially since this is purely for refining, and does not include the gain to manufacturing.

Re: Remove the effect of relation ration on manufacturing and refining

Why not just pay a mission runner for standings? Like a lot of industrialists do in Eve.

I agree I shouldnt have to grind transport missions for hours upon hours just to be competitive in industry.

combat toons dont have to grind relations to be better at combat

miners dont have to grind relations to be better at mining.

etc..

this will also help stabilize prices as well.

4 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-01 23:18:48)

Sabre906 wrote:

Why not just pay a mission runner for standings? Like a lot of industrialists do in Eve.

Firstly, the fact that this is possible does not justify the current system. Further, I have tried this several times, but not many are up for it!

Secondly, the current squad system makes it a very difficult, long and tedious to process.

Edit:
And completely agree with Lework. How would you PvPers like it if the relation ratio affected your damage?

Yes, why reward effort with bonuses, such a silly concept.

Create manufactoring assignments. This seems to be a glaring hole anyway, since all other professions are covered. This would also help beginning players by generating starting items such as ammo in large quantities.

Each process takes time to complete, so you won't just be buying rep. Granted its a start and forget process for factory runs, but with the new waypointing, running missions isn't rocket science either.

There should be RE, Factory, and Prototype assignments from 1 to 6. Sadly for consistency, 4, 5, 6 would be beta island only. sad

Ideally the items requested would be somewhat random, or the market would be flooded with T1 LWF (for example). What would be really interesting, is if the assignments could somehow get feedback from the market, but that's probably too much dynamics.

Oh, lvl 4-6 assignments would be T2,3,4 respectively - Up to the community, but maybe they would be alpha then since it still requires kernel use to do those assignments. ???

7 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-02 00:36:02)

Arga wrote:

Create manufactoring assignments. This seems to be a glaring hole anyway, since all other professions are covered. This would also help beginning players by generating starting items such as ammo in large quantities.

Each process takes time to complete, so you won't just be buying rep. Granted its a start and forget process for factory runs, but with the new waypointing, running missions isn't rocket science either.

There should be RE, Factory, and Prototype assignments from 1 to 6. Sadly for consistency, 4, 5, 6 would be beta island only. sad

Ideally the items requested would be somewhat random, or the market would be flooded with T1 LWF (for example). What would be really interesting, is if the assignments could somehow get feedback from the market, but that's probably too much dynamics.

Oh, lvl 4-6 assignments would be T2,3,4 respectively - Up to the community, but maybe they would be alpha then since it still requires kernel use to do those assignments. ???

Arga - I actually thought of something similar myself, and I think that's a quite good solution. However, the relation relation in factory should only depend on the standing with these 'manufacturing' corporations, and not all the other ones.

Rodger Wilcoe - I am not against reward for effort. But, I do want the effort to be related to my activity. As above I'm perfectly fine with what Arga suggested, because it required me to use manufacturing to get better at it, and not do something completely unrelated.

To clarify, I am NOT against the idea of becoming better at manufacturing for spending effort  towards it, but this gain should indeed come from practising your profession (here manufacture/refining) not from some arbitrary activity for days on end.

So what next, people have to refine a whole bunch to get the refine discount too? roll

Manufacturing assignments would be good but I'm personally happy with the way things are.

There is far more involved in industry than simply arming your bot and shooting ***. Equivalent level assignments give more cash and standing to PvE over industry. For an equal amount of missions, I had to grind easily twice as hard on my indy character to get to level 1 assignments than I had to for my combat character.

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

There is far more involved in industry than simply arming your bot and shooting ***. Equivalent level assignments give more cash and standing to PvE over industry. For an equal amount of missions, I had to grind easily twice as hard on my indy character to get to level 1 assignments than I had to for my combat character.

The grind to  level 1 assignments? Maybe you just phrased that badly, but that gives me the impression you know little of it. The grind of getting a high rep (40-50% relation ratio) is probably weeks on ingame time continuously running extremely repetitive missions, and is no way comparable to the 30min-1h it takes to get level 1 missions. I choose to be a manufacturer because I want to produce stuff, not because I wanted to spend every singly evening running tedious missions over and over again.

This game already has many long and hard grinds, this one is just superfluous. Also, I know of several people who has been interested in manufacturing, but decided not too as the grind it too long and boring (and they're too compulsive to let themselves give it a try with low relation).

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Why should an extreme mission grinder have a huge advantage in production?

BTW

Why should an extreeme mision grinder have huge advantage in warfare? (HEAT-IX missiles, volcano and etc quest ammo)

Wanna be the best: work for it.

All working fine now imo.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

The grind to  level 1 assignments? Maybe you just phrased that badly, but that gives me the impression you know little of it. The grind of getting a high rep (40-50% relation ratio) is probably weeks on ingame time continuously running extremely repetitive missions, and is no way comparable to the 30min-1h it takes to get level 1 missions. I choose to be a manufacturer because I want to produce stuff, not because I wanted to spend every singly evening running tedious missions over and over again.

This game already has many long and hard grinds, this one is just superfluous. Also, I know of several people who has been interested in manufacturing, but decided not too as the grind it too long and boring (and they're too compulsive to let themselves give it a try with low relation).

Chaining courier missions in a Sequer (industrial bot) is already far more rewarding, in both standings and nic, than any combat mission. It's still a grind, but saying that combat characters has it better is just disingenuous.

Alexadar wrote:
Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Why should an extreme mission grinder have a huge advantage in production?

BTW

Why should an extreeme mision grinder have huge advantage in warfare? (HEAT-IX missiles, volcano and etc quest ammo)

Wanna be the best: work for it.

All working fine now imo.

The big difference, you can still place buy orders for these, hence making it like any other equipment. Don't get me wrong, but if I could buy the relation, I'd be fine with it.

13 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-02 19:01:25)

Sabre906 wrote:

Chaining courier missions in a Sequer (industrial bot) is already far more rewarding, in both standings and nic, than any combat mission. It's still a grind, but saying that combat characters has it better is just disingenuous.

Two points;
1. What does courier missions really have to do with a manufacturer?
2. To obtain high relation ratio you must have high standing within all corporations of that faction, that includes ALL combat, industrial and other corporations. Hence, manufacturers are subject to both grinds. (relation ratio is based on average standing with each corp, so only running the transport missions won't get you that far)

because standing doesnt reward combat agents, i disagree that it should not reward a production guy.

the only valid point i see in this topic is, that the standing bonus for all facilities is calculated from the average of all corporations of a conglomerate.

that needs to be changed - not removing the bonus at all. and add something that gives combat agents an advantage if he does missions for the syndicate corp (cheaper repair, better insurance, cheaper monesink items like teleport, fieldcontainer or interference beacon ammo)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

The grind to  level 1 assignments? Maybe you just phrased that badly, but that gives me the impression you know little of it.

Yes I'll happily admit that I am rather new and only basing my opinion from my current experience. However, from what I see there is a big difference between the Industry and Combat assignments as far as remuneration goes. I haven't done Logistics myself but I hear that is somewhat unbalanced.

Sabre906 wrote:

I personally wasn't implying that combat characters have it "better" at all, only that the assignment rewards are bigger "in the hand" from what I've seen while Industrial assignment really reward you later.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Don't get me wrong, but if I could buy the relation, I'd be fine with it.

If you could buy relation, I wouldn't be playing the game. I'm sure you were just being sarcastic.

Production assignements should be implemented; there its a point in not forcing manufacturers to do transport nor mining to improve their ratios on production.
In the other hand, relation its still a valid way for me to make excelence in manufacturing a long term goal, as it should be.

see it the other way round: relation will improove your production while you are still waiting for your extensions to raise.

and really, the only "relation" bonus that has an impact on production is the refining one.

current maximum bonus you get on Material efficiency for the actual production is... 6%
its soooo gamebreaking for those who wont go on missions!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Argument:
Why should an extreme mission grinder have a huge advantage in production? For me at least, doing PvE missions is separate activity to manufacturing, just as PvE missions is a very separate activity from PvP. Why then, should days and days of grinding mind-numbingly boring missions be a prerequisite for the production process? If you really want a grind for a manufacturer, why not at least not make it related to what he does? (e.g. dependent on what he produces)

- Because he tries plays, and you the idler.

I have spent a lot of time for missions. REALLY MANY TIME. And I risked not beta island: Lost robots and the equipment. And now any dissatisfied alpha player suggests to cancel simply for what I have spent so much time?
WTH??

Besides it is necessary to bring up a question on insufficient efficiency of bonuses of factory on outposts. 1 level doesn't differ from 3 on materials. It does only favourable only processing outposts.

Everyone should understand that any balancing generates only new a disbalance.

Сайт корпорации: www.chaos-online.ru
Раздел приема в корпорацию: http://www.chaos-online.ru/foru....-perpetuum/

19 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-03 11:33:01)

Rodger -  did you see that I mentioned that a production guy has to get the standing up for both combat and industrial missions?

Annihilator/hunter - both of you are just screaming 'I have high relation, don't change it!'.

Annihilator - 6% on production, added with max bonus of 15% on refining, I'm not sure how this could be seen as trivial.

Once again, I don't want to make relation useless in any sense, but the bonuses should be related to what you do. Hence it would make more sense than a combat guy gets bonuses from doing combat missions, and the manufacturer gets bonus from manufacturing.

Further, why are you against the idea of manufacturing missions affecting it instead? It would still require a grind (which could be made long, if you want). The main thing I have expressed dislike for is that one has to raise standings with all corporations of a faction, and hence do a lot of very unrelated missions.

Also note I included Arga's suggestion now, I think it would be a very good middle-ground.

20 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-03 12:02:53)

Hunter wrote:

Besides it is necessary to bring up a question on insufficient efficiency of bonuses of factory on outposts. 1 level doesn't differ from 3 on materials. It does only favourable only processing outposts.

That is another question. I could agree a small bonus there, as it included extra risk to produce at Beta. However, running missions is really not that dangerous (and no, losing a few sequers/arganos while doing scanning/transport missions at beta does not count as a loss).

Combat missions are a lot more effective, standings-wise, than hauling by far.
Where hauling nets you 0.01% to 0.03% at best, a single combat mission can bring in 0.05% or better.

Granted, the L1 grind loop is far, FAR too easy, but the L2 grind is absolutely mind numbingly counter-productive.  With the L1 loop you can run seven missions simultaneously, but L2 has 1 mission per outpost to any given location, usually another far flung distant outpost, and the standings gains are exactly the same... 0.03%, with the same crop of ammunition you get with the L1 loop.

Lower the number of missions on the L1 loop, increase the number of outpost transport missions, and let the industrials gain their standing without going absolutely insane.

To speak here is nothing and to do it is necessary nothing.

2Lucius: Just up relations and get advantage.

Everyone should understand that any balancing generates only new a disbalance.

Сайт корпорации: www.chaos-online.ru
Раздел приема в корпорацию: http://www.chaos-online.ru/foru....-perpetuum/

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Rodger -  did you see that I mentioned that a production guy has to get the standing up for both combat and industrial missions?

Annihilator/hunter - both of you are just screaming 'I have high relation, don't change it!'.

Annihilator - 6% on production, added with max bonus of 15% on refining, I'm not sure how this could be seen as trivial.

Once again, I don't want to make relation useless in any sense, but the bonuses should be related to what you do. Hence it would make more sense than a combat guy gets bonuses from doing combat missions, and the manufacturer gets bonus from manufacturing.

Further, why are you against the idea of manufacturing missions affecting it instead? It would still require a grind (which could be made long, if you want). The main thing I have expressed dislike for is that one has to raise standings with all corporations of a faction, and hence do a lot of very unrelated missions.

Also note I included Arga's suggestion now, I think it would be a very good middle-ground.

actually, the high standings that i have grinded HELPS me to have even a chance on the market - because im an alpha dweller and got ZERO access to a rank 3 refinery.

and the "high" standings i have are a bit below what you can archieve as maximum on alpha island (40% and 30%). without those, i could just reset my production guy and do something else with those EP in production, as i don't want to move out to an beta outpost.

and really, the "grinding" part is bullshit alltogether. you can get your standings that high within a reasonable time with a reasonable effort - and after all as byproduct of your hauling between the outposts.

and "production missions" are a half assed idea too - it means your mining, producing and selling stuff to npcs - not for the playermarket. That will end with high-extension player to buy mats cheap from market, and selling it to npcs for profit + standings. you could simply ask to introduce npc buy orders that give you standing and nic...

Annihilator wrote:

and "production missions" are a half assed idea too - it means your mining, producing and selling stuff to npcs - not for the playermarket. That will end with high-extension player to buy mats cheap from market, and selling it to npcs for profit + standings. you could simply ask to introduce npc buy orders that give you standing and nic...

Just like mining missions, you get to keep the item you produce, it's not consumed by the NPC.

25 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-03 22:50:42)

Annihilator, I am not sure where I questioned how a high relation helps you a lot, this is indeed the whole thing I am challenging. Further, the difference to level 3 refineries is that those require to to undertake a lot of additional risk, and hence the gain there is justified. Currently the markups on the market are low (due to the low population). However, when the market grows, these margins will become very small, and at some point it will be absolutely necessary to have this bonus in order to make any profit. I will get my relations up, so don't worry about that, but once we all get it up, we've all just wasted a few days of out lives.

I am honestly not sure how you can not agree that the current system is a heavy grind. But I guess it is after all fairly natural given that you just want to protect your current advantage. However, after my initial point I have not really mainly challenged the long grind, but the unrelated missions one must undertake, so let's please stop with using the argument I'm just being 'lazy' or whatever.

About the idea of manufacturing missions, I agree that the details are not fully ironed out (as that's not what the thread is primarily about), but it's a very good direction.

My comment on buying reputation before was not sarcastic, but might have been missunderstood. I'd envision that missions give a certain 'coin' as a reward, this can then be traded amongst players like any other commodity, and increases reputation when handed in.
Hence I'd 'buy' relation with NIC.

In short, two points I want you to answer, which both involve keeping a grind, just changing the rules of how to obtain it a bit (also, not really interested in hearing you defend why you having an advatange is so fair, so try to skip that):

• Why not create a 'coin' like item which can be handed in for reputation?

• Why not at least make only industrial-related missions (mining being one of them) affect the standing which matters for refining/manufactuing?