1 (edited by Jaik3 2011-06-30 12:06:24)

Topic: caves

we're supposed to be exploiting this planet, but i see no gaping holes in the crust, no de-peaked mountains, no drilling rigs and no mine shafts.

imagine a world where industry is allowed to expand without any regard for human safety or enviromental preservation. now think about Nia. any resemblance? hmm

i would suggest the addition of subterreanian cave systems, natural or botmade. in fact, i'd even suggest that in certain circumstances, players should be allowed to create temporary "dungeons" so they can exploit to their hearts content, so long as they can fend off the native bots who for obvious reasons dislike their planet being blown up.

advantages of including dungeons:

provides minature places to section off people on different servers (lag reduction), with everyone fully able to follow them in of course.
    expands the area in which people can play without creating new islands
    provides a new feeling of exploration, especially if these underground areas did not come with maps preprogrammed like the overworld.

features i'd like to see in these dungeons:
    exploitable ores
    frequent NPC spawns
    rather random strength NPCs, as in players should have a very general idea about what to expect based on how close to the starter areas it is, but each dungeon should have at least a small chance of spawning the really big ones. i personally have the most fun when i'm running for my life, dodging rockets and lasers. big_smile
    the impression that you are NOT welcome here, and that the natives are activly trying to kill you.

this would at least solve one of the above problems with the eco friendly policies currently in place. yarr

/witty sig

Re: caves

"provides minature places to section off people on different servers (lag reduction), with everyone fully able to follow them in of course." is not working well with the persistence of the game world. The other points are ok imho, but work a bit like artifact hunting. We will also get transforming sooner or later.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I like this idea perhaps the npc's could be "humanoid" or "insects"

I actually like this idea (Sanctums any one) all tho it will be hard to make the open for all to find or instanced for only 1 or a squad. Thats where the balance will come in. If its instanced this cave will only accept the person entering it or their squad? If its free entry how will you make said entry/exit function, will there be a cap on max capasity will it despawn/respawn.

I think the best way to do it would be like the artifacts but have it open to all squad members. Scale them like artifacts and have a few different types....

Mineral/mineshaft/farm where you find mineral/ plant tiles and maybe a guard or two and some enemy indy bots.
Barracks where you find a lot of guards and possibly spawn timers with a "boss" at the end of the tunnel/cave.
Technology where you can use a hack mod to gain access to possible CTs or proto type mods, decoders, fragments this would be heavly guarded with possible bosses
Stockpile same as mineral/mine except the items are already pulled from the tiles and in cargo cans.
Exploration tunnels that lead to other islands of even to a uknown island any random event could happen.
Observer entry large cave with an observer and his stash

I think it has already been requested and shot down but I believe it would help the PVE crowd immensly

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

the game engine just doesnt support  tunnels yet (terrain is based on a hight-map)

things like "bridges" already not possible with the current maps. I would know a method how they could implement it though...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear