Re: Population went up then sunk since patch - Reasons for low pop?

I dunno as a developer in the past, test and live are two things you don't mix.... Ever.

Loved the Earth 21xx games, nice mechanics. The thing is, if you are going to do testing you need to add in things such as skills, ep and modules all of which may need to change when something needs to be modified or fixed due to a bug. I for one, do not want daily downtimes on the live game!!!

Having done plenty of alpha and beta testing in other games, I would certainly put some of my time to a test server if there was one, it also means players can do some of the testing on existing islands and find the bugs/exploits on there rather than a blank island which wouldn't make it into live gameplay.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Just some challenges I would see with the implementation of terra forming -

would need to prevent the Creating of impassable terrain for profit and griefing

examples

changing the slope around island entry points  (teleports) to prevent mechs / hmechs from even leaving the beach

Isolating an outpost so that nothing can pass unless they have terraforming capablity of their own

Terraforming a symbiot into an inaccessable mountain top to grow norgalis, but with a spot that is within 100m so they can pick up charges and drop norgalis into field container

Creating phallic symbols with or without wings

a 'tunnel' of terror; a path with no LOS on either side but capable of being lined with missle bots

sniper nests with LOS blocking dips and only accesable from other side of a mountain (requires a long travel time to get to sniper entrance)

a 'moat' anywhere to create a choke point

Last but not least, 'walling-off' SAP points

Arga - you know, thats no issue if you bombard them with artillery. that noralgis plants wont last long

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Why all say this game is "difficult"?
It is nothing more than tad boring really.

You have to be able to target the tile, which if it's over a hill, you can't do; but yes it would prevent you from just creating a moat.

31 (edited by Reanigael 2011-06-06 09:01:04)

My question, being new, is:  What do I do when I get tired of mining?

I have to wait for skills in order to make things worth while... but I cant spend the points in it anyways because I need them off the account for something else.

I cant really go pve, for the same reason.

The game has pvp, but I hear there isnt much small group or solo stuff, and those that are out there in small groups are in really good robots.

Theres got to be something more to do.  I get an hour here, 2 hours here.  I have kids.  It'd be nice if I could log on for an hour or 2 hours and go *do* something.  Right now thats mining, and Im content to do it.  Won't hold me forever.

Id like to be able to go do some pve worthwhile that an industry character or an oddball military character can handle... but not just sitting on a pile of robots and boringly kill a few.  Or Id like to be able to go fight pvp with people on my level over a contested area, but stand a chance and be able to go back tomorrow, win or lose?

Are those desires too pedestrian and 'amusement park' based - or are they realistic desires?

It doesnt take much ep to go pvp'ing in an an assault with a few friends. If your industry character is bored of mining you can easily make him an artifact scanner. And for pve, its just a matter of finding a spawn thats just right for your skill level. I think your desires are most realistic.

Because the voices told me to do it.

Reanigael,

The Absolute KEY to this game is to set objectives. Typically in a theme park the game helps you out with quests and a fairly 'on the rails' type of progression system.

Sandboxy games require you to, for the most part, set your own path.

Many players choose to join corporations, which typically have goals and objectives which you can become a part of, while others choose to go it alone.

And, since this is a low pop thread, I'll bring it around to the subject.

Its very difficult for new players to set objectives, because they lack experience in the game, some never do and just wander off or join corps that don't fit their time zones or playstyles.

Oddly the result of this steep introduction, is that the game veterns are mostly self-starters and independant thinkers; which makes the political landscape all that more dynamic.

It sounds like you have already figured most of this out, intuitvely if not explicitly. Just mining for the sake of filling up your cargo or blowing up things for kernels and modules are activites and not objectives.

Give yourself some time to explore the game, looking at it from a long term perspective.

I want to -

Dominate Mech PVP
Contribute to the Market
Be FC in a Corp Squad
Build high tiered items

Just to name a few long term goals.

TL;DR - Activites in Perpetuum are all mean-to-an-end, its just difficult to determine what that end will be for many new players.

Given the time already required for transport from point A to point B in many bots, a much larger map would rapidly become too much of a PITA for most people to deal with. There is also the infamous You Can't Get There From Here terrain problem.  In way too many instances you have to take the LONG way around mountains, valleys, etc. That adds to the travel time.  Couple that with a much larger map...<face palm>

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Reasons for low population in my imho opinion:

Driving/walking

This issue (biggest issue) has already been addressed with highways, most welcome addition. Its that really enough? Highways are far and few, still too much travel. Time sink its part and parcel of a good sandbox mmo and keeps the market/pvp realistic, hence why time is not the only issue. Travelling is tedious/boring and is what we do most in game.

Soloist play

I like to play to reap my own rewards in game, this is really boring at the moment with current mechanics for kernals it never ends, at least if I could concentrate my efforts in getting a few T4 items it still a lot of time invesment. Market does not help much for kernal so im forced to PVE which is even worse than mining for me:(. Yes and I have 3 accounts!
Combat character have even worse odds for solo play, with 1 account, you are forced to join a corp or leave.

Market and low population

It goes both ways here low trade on market causes low population. Low population leads to less market acitivity. Either way to retain more players more market activity will help more I think.

PVE

Again travel its too long not rewarding enough for nic missions although that is going to change. Respawning rates are too fast too repetitive designed for a group not solo player.

Mining

Mining is more or less well balanced: other than scanning which takes too long to much travel/walking around with higher population its just going to get worse specially with the regen nerf. Mining amount buff: although welcomed at first, turns out to be a logistical grind maybe not for new miners but when you have a highly trained riveler its like doing transport missions.

Well those I my thoughts, so for those above reasons I will not be resubbing any time soon
sad I have been playing since 2 weeks after release. I have also done some fair share of PVP its the best thing about this game but I need a reason to fight for and I am not much of a combat player anyways. Still remains the fact perpetuum has a lot of potential and can be one of the big mmos in a few years.

I give thanks to all in JOKE Jita/Resentina/Kalsius( now merged With RG) for the PVP experience. IBS now gone from game for their support really great people. Devs, keep up the hard work!

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Well those I my thoughts, so for those above reasons I will not be resubbing any time soon.

Very sad to hear, but I hope we will see you return at some point! smile