Topic: Political situation of the game

I've read the Corporation Dialogue/Monologue/Rant/Flame section as well as talked to various people in different corporations but can some players describe the current political state of the game? what are the politics like? how are the corporations developing?

The game itself doesnt interest me overly much but the politics are quite interesting. It might be interesting to others as well so I hope that some veterans will take the time to give a summary of the situation.

Affiliated with CIR, Not actively playing, not neutral

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Re: Political situation of the game

The majority of the server since release has had a strong disinclination to PvP. As a result M2S are doing everything they can do force people to PvP who live on Beta, if they don't then we'll take all of their capturable assets and deny them their desires as much as possible.

Novastrov/Domhalan/Norhoop don't like this so they've banded together in a server-wide coalition to try and stop us.

Corporations such as 62nd aren't part of this coalition and are roaming beta islands as an independent force quite frequently.

The political alignment of new corporations such as nWar, AET and FOOm is yet to be seen.

That's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for your reply,

How is the situation in regards to bots and territory? how big are the factions in terms of players and how much territory do each of the factions hold?

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Nidhogg wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

How is the situation in regards to bots and territory? how big are the factions in terms of players and how much territory do each of the factions hold?

M2S = 13/15 Outposts.
Server Alliance;

ADLN
ALF
Blood
CIR
ToG
ROME
DEAPR
Axe
CHAOS
F-Navy
SK
IBS
RING
NUTY
TRIBE
AFF
XXSIXX
RG

=2 Outposts

Styx wrote:
Nidhogg wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

M2S = 13/15 Outposts.
Server Alliance;

ADLN
ALF
Blood
CIR
ToG
ROME
DEAPR
Axe
CHAOS
F-Navy
SK
IBS
RING
NUTY
TRIBE
AFF
XXSIXX
RG

=2 Outposts

IBS
RING
NUTY
TRIBE

Have quit game/merged into 62nd.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

14 Corporations in the server alliance against M2S then.

It's a misnomer to say the server alliance is against M2S, they seem more concerned with simply "defending and maintaining" then actually confronting M2S.

8 (edited by Campana 2011-06-02 23:45:57)

Hey Nid smile

Let's call it an ideological war with two major power blocs and a handful of independents.

On one hand, we have M2S who want pvp and don't care what we do (trolling, griefing, harassment etc) to get it. The one thing we will refrain from is deliberately trying to outnumber our enemies, because we see ourselves as highly skilled and well organised. While we care about the success of the Perpetuum we aren't going to spend all our time trying to make the server a better place for everyone. Because we're playing a game of survival of the fittest. As an example, this week we have camped F-Navy in their own outpost, causing many of them to post that they are quitting the game. Despite this, we don't see our role as instigators of 'interesting times' as detrimental to the server, whereas we do despise the blob mentality.

On the other hand we have Designated M2S Enemy of the Month. Formerly that was the Norhoop Alliance, who have now been replaced by the Soviet Novastrov alliance, headed by CIR. CIR's stated preference is for skirmishes, not intrusions, and by declaring that they would go to war with any corp that signed up to take their chosen outpost of Darnachov they pretty much guaranteed the course of the current conflict. Because, of course, that's exactly what M2S proceeded to do. CIR then instigated a NAP with the remains of the Norhoop Alliance which allows them to bring considerably more numbers to the field than M2S. They care more about projecting a morally just image than M2S, but are just as heavily into the metagame.

Since both sides consider the other's behaviour 'dishonourable' and not in the best interests of the game, the war is becoming one of survival, and will probably continue for a few weeks more.

I will be very interested to see how it turns out.

In addition to the power blocs we also have a handful of smaller 'pirate' corps such as 62nd, FOOM, nWAR who are not directly involved. In a way it's the smaller corps whose activity I'm most worried about, because their chosen pvp (roaming) isn't very rewarding at the moment, partly due to low game population, and partly due to lack of incentives for players to live on beta islands.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Camp, you don't post often enough big_smile

I have nothing I can add to that, other than the community is being very vocal about the last part, trying to find ways to make the game more rewarding, and the developers have a great track record of listening to the community.

Come be part of making history Nidd!

Arga wrote:

Camp, you don't post often enough big_smile

Well when I go to work these days people keep expecting me to do work! I can't believe it. Really cuts into my forum posting time hmm

Bernard Suits, 1978

Campana wrote:

Hey Nid smile

Let's call it an ideological war with two major power blocs and a handful of independents.

On one hand, we have M2S who want pvp and don't care what we do (trolling, griefing, harassment etc) to get it.The one thing we will refrain from is deliberately trying to outnumber our enemies, because we see ourselves as highly skilled and well organised. While we care about the success of the Perpetuum we aren't going to spend all our time trying to make the server a better place for everyone. Because we're playing a game of survival of the fittest. As an example, this week we have camped F-Navy in their own outpost, causing many of them to post that they are quitting the game. Despite this, we don't see our role as instigators of 'interesting times' as detrimental to the server, whereas we do despise the blob mentality.

On the other hand we have Designated M2S Enemy of the Month. Formerly that was the Norhoop Alliance, who have now been replaced by the Soviet Novastrov alliance, headed by CIR. CIR's stated preference is for skirmishes, not intrusions, and by declaring that they would go to war with any corp that signed up to take their chosen outpost of Darnachov they pretty much guaranteed the course of the current conflict. Because, of course, that's exactly what M2S proceeded to do. CIR then instigated a NAP with the remains of the Norhoop Alliance which allows them to bring considerably more numbers to the field than M2S. They care more about projecting a morally just image than M2S, but are just as heavily into the metagame.

Since both sides consider the other's behaviour 'dishonourable' and not in the best interests of the game, the war is becoming one of survival, and will probably continue for a few weeks more.

I will be very interested to see how it turns out.

In addition to the power blocs we also have a handful of smaller 'pirate' corps such as 62nd, FOOM, nWAR who are not directly involved. In a way it's the smaller corps whose activity I'm most worried about, because their chosen pvp (roaming) isn't very rewarding at the moment, partly due to low game population, and partly due to lack of incentives for players to live on beta islands.

Correction;

1. Prior to the original Norhoop war, you quite deliberately invited us into a temporary NAP to outnumber the Norhoop alliance which you couldn't handle alone. Granted, they had ample numbers to outnumber you, we just had enough to outnumber them.

2. F-Navy was initially hurt due to bad decisions. Since their new leader stepped up to the plate, they've quite obviously united their efforts and turned the tables and have proceeded to bomb you into oblivion, achieving the biggest heavy-mech destruction in the history of Perpetuum nearly single-handedly.

3. Soviet Novastrov is not headed by CIR. In Soviet Novastrov, every CEO - including me - has exactly 1 vote regardless of the size of their respective corporation, and all decisions are made by the majority online at the time of the vote.

4. CIR didn't instigate any NAP. We were quite happy to be left to our business and enjoyment of the game, however as always we seem to be dragged into wars by corps not intelligent enough to learn from historical lessons. We accepted the offer from RG & Norhoop because it was the best decision for the future.

Otherwise alles gut.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Correction;

1. Prior to the original Norhoop war, you quite deliberately invited us into a temporary NAP to outnumber the Norhoop alliance which you couldn't handle alone.

Nope, when Infestation (M2S + allies for any newbies reading this) and Domhalarn (CIR + allies) joined up together, our numbers roughly equalled those of Norhoop in the intrusions that I attended. I think one of the early morning intrusions we turned up to (Uria) we completely outnumbered them, when only HUN logged on to defend.

Syndic wrote:

2. F-Navy was initially hurt due to bad decisions. Since their new leader stepped up to the plate, they've quite obviously united their efforts and turned the tables and have proceeded to bomb you into oblivion, achieving the biggest heavy-mech destruction in the history of Perpetuum nearly single-handedly.

They seem to vacillate between threatening to quit and vowing to stay in game and grind as much as it takes to fight us, with more of the former than the latter until the other day. Which is why I phrased it as I did. "Bomb into oblivion" implies they defeated us beyond hope of recovery - actually we lost a squad when they made a suicide run with the contents of their corporate hangar. But if they are going to stay in the game and put up a fight, I'm glad to hear it. Win-win, as it were.

Syndic wrote:

3. Soviet Novastrov is not headed by CIR. In Soviet Novastrov, every CEO - including me - has exactly 1 vote regardless of the size of their respective corporation, and all decisions are made by the majority online at the time of the vote.

I don't actually know much about the other CEOs, but having seen how CIR operates previously I'm quite willing to believe that CIR leadership is suggesting the strategies and the other CEOs are just nodding and casting their "yes" vote.

Syndic wrote:

We were quite happy to be left to our business and enjoyment of the game, however as always we seem to be dragged into wars by corps not intelligent enough to learn from historical lessons.

This is where Styx thinks you lack ambition. I think you would be perfectly happy to dominate the server, but you don't want to come across as the evil empire. So you just waited for M2S to be the aggressor.

Syndic wrote:

4. CIR didn't instigate any NAP. [...] We accepted the offer from RG & Norhoop because it was the best decision for the future.

I'm happy to be corrected on this, I can actually believe that RG suggested it.

Bernard Suits, 1978

Campana wrote:

Nope, when Infestation (M2S + allies for any newbies reading this) and Domhalarn (CIR + allies) joined up together, our numbers roughly equalled those of Norhoop in the intrusions that I attended. I think one of the early morning intrusions we turned up to (Uria) we completely outnumbered them, when only HUN logged on to defend.

Partly correct. Infestation + CIR was enough to balance numbers equally. CIR + the rest of Sovnov was overkill. We simply never brought them to the field because none of their CEO's or members wanted to do anything with you.

Campana wrote:

They seem to vacillate between threatening to quit and vowing to stay in game and grind as much as it takes to fight us, with more of the former than the latter until the other day. Which is why I phrased it as I did. "Bomb into oblivion" implies they defeated us beyond hope of recovery - actually we lost a squad when they made a suicide run with the contents of their corporate hangar. But if they are going to stay in the game and put up a fight, I'm glad to hear it. Win-win, as it were.

I can only say what I notice. I notice 10-15 F-navy coming into TS and asking for opportunity to kill M2S throughout the day. I get killmails of suicide bombers blowing up M2S there. I hear plans, suggestions, ideas revolving around killing and griefing you repeatedly. That doesn't tell me they are quitting the game or demoralized in any way.

Campana wrote:

I don't actually know much about the other CEOs, but having seen how CIR operates previously I'm quite willing to believe that CIR leadership is suggesting the strategies and the other CEOs are just nodding and casting their "yes" vote.

Naturally, you are welcome to believe whatever you wish. I, as CEO of CIR, am quite grateful to Legort of DEAPR, The Omen of TOG, Tedros of ROME, Phalanx of HYDRA, and Doctor House of ALF for coming up with many valuable ideas and suggestions. I have learned a lot from these people, and hold much respect for them.

Campana wrote:

This is where Styx thinks you lack ambition. I think you would be perfectly happy to dominate the server, but you don't want to come across as the evil empire. So you just waited for M2S to be the aggressor.

Styx is welcome to his own opinion. We're not interested in dominating or controlling the server, we're quite happy having our little home and sticking to what we enjoy doing; and letting the rest of the server enjoy their time in game meanwhile.

Campana wrote:

I'm happy to be corrected on this, I can actually believe that RG suggested it.

It was actually CHAOS & F-Navy, RG only came in about 3 days later.

CIR Complaint Form

Thanks for the replies. Ill try to summarise.

Most of the people are united in fighting M2s, despite this M2s holds the vast majority of the outposts. That seems an odd situation, how can you hold most of the outposts while being so horribly outnumbered?

There are several independent corporations that are striking out on their own so far they havent claimed outposts yet.

The current coalition is formed against M2s and has no interest in staying together after M2s has.....lost/given up/left the game/sought peace?

technically there are two sides and possible some more sides in the future if the fledgling corporations are allowed to flourish.

its interesting for new players to read about the current political climate

So far people from all sides seem friendly and willing to explain the situation both here and in PM's, Thank you for that.

Hello Nidhogg, it's seems they've managed to fill you in quite good on the political situation. Now I'd like to ask a question, would you happen to be the Nidhogg I know (from WAR and MO)?

Nidhogg the Chosen from Warhammer and Nidhogg the CIR token carebear diplomat from Mortal Online, so yes. Nice to see you again!

Nidhogg wrote:

Nidhogg the Chosen from Warhammer and Nidhogg the CIR token carebear diplomat from Mortal Online, so yes. Nice to see you again!

Aye, good to see you too again. Just to bad that I'll be leaving for the summer now, but I'm confident that the others will take care of you (just don't let the trolls eat you, they are numerous).

18 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-06-03 15:26:04)

The m2s members summarized it accurately nid.

There is no point in going for an outpost now, as you can get resources easily via beta excursions.

Our corp remains independent. If a server needs to group to take on one small entity, then it's showing lack of pvp skills and orginization by it.

A nice handful of members from the brotherhood have joined us, but there are still lots in IBS,RING,LK still, so correction on that point.

Syndic wrote:

I can only say what I notice. I notice 10-15 F-navy coming into TS and asking for opportunity to kill M2S throughout the day. I get killmails of suicide bombers blowing up M2S there. I hear plans, suggestions, ideas revolving around killing and griefing you repeatedly. That doesn't tell me they are quitting the game or demoralized in any way.

I don't know if you are just pulling this stuff out of your backside (as you often do), or whether this is actually true. If it is, I find it appallingly cute, and welcome all the little F-Navy grieflings to the dark side.

It's much more fun here.

@Nid the reason we own so many outposts is partly that they have no value compared to the potential cost of holding onto them. It's currently just a way to measure e-peen. No-one actually tries to take them from us, apart from a few attempts on our outposts on the island of Hokkagoras (this has been M2S' home territory since release). At the moment we're engaged in trying to prise Brightstone and Darnachov outposts from clutches of F-Navy and CIR respectively.

Bernard Suits, 1978

Mara Kaid wrote:

If a server needs to group to take on one small entity, then it's showing lack of pvp skills and orginization by it.

The "small entity" cheated and thereby got a advantage in resources and research all other corps dont have.

Nidhogg wrote:

Most of the people are united in fighting M2s, despite this M2s holds the vast majority of the outposts. That seems an odd situation, how can you hold most of the outposts while being so horribly outnumbered?

Most corps cant defend their outposts because of the way the intrusion system works.
Some cant cover all timezones effectively and m2s is exploiting that by attacking at times when their enemy is weak.

Nidhogg wrote:

The current coalition is formed against M2s and has no interest in staying together after M2s has.....lost/given up/left the game/sought peace?

Yes.

AgY wrote:
Nidhogg wrote:

Yes.

If you can't beat em, blob em™
Copyright © 2011 M2S

I think the above sum's up their position well... if CIR or any of its pet corps run into a force they can not defeat they will hold up and with their powers combined... form the Novablob!

AgY wrote:

Most corps cant defend their outposts because of the way the intrusion system works.
Some cant cover all timezones effectively and m2s is exploiting that by attacking at times when their enemy is weak.

Yes.

Surely that works both ways? if M2s can do that so can other corporations. Attacking when your enemy is weakest sounds like a good tactic to me. Not sportive perhaps but effective.

To bad that outposts dont really give a bonus to the owner. At least tell me that they are better to have then Mortals e-peen extenders; the keeps

23 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-06-03 16:06:32)

AgY wrote:

The "small entity" cheated and thereby got a advantage in resources and research all other corps dont have.

It's not like most of the island holding entities had decent tech lines anyhow to counter this. We know norhoop had enough tech to handle themsleves as is proven by the fact they reclaimed karapyth, they defeated m2s in inertia intrusion, they defended their outpost multiple times. lol I got so much tech off of norhoop it was awesome. Good thing I don't need it anymore. ;P

It's an open pvp game and as a corp you take an outpost, and you have timezones that you are weak/strong on. Given the intrusion times are random, yeah it's likely you're gonna get attacked on a weak zone. SO you loose the station for a week, if you have the power and deserve it, you should be able to take it back as norhoop did, since at some point time will be on your side.

That's another point I don't think your coalition gets. It's as if you don't want to fight for your outpost. You think that if you've won it once, you deserve to have it all the time. Total bs. They are made to be fought over, as a means of having fun. Outpost should be switching sides multiple times to generate fun pvp.

If you can't defend it after taking it, you don't deserve to have it.
If you need to get all the server to hold your outpost, then definitely something is wrong. You're clearly admitting you don't have the organization or skill to effectively hold an outpost, or you're afraid of loosing it.

The amazing thing is that while your "enemy" owns it, they get some nic, and a title, whoop-dee.... you can still dock. It's not like another game where your resources are trapped.

Newbie explanation inc, Nid...

Weak timezones are supposed to be covered by protection tokens. You get 1 protection token when you take over an outpost, and 1/3rd of a protection token for every successful defense of your outpost. If someone signs up for an intrusion on the outpost, you can protect it by using up 1 token. The deadline for this is 8hrs before the intrusion goes live. People need to sign up to an intrusion over 12 hrs before it goes live.

Benefits of outposts. If you own an outpost you get a 50% NIC reduction on the use of facilities inside. Facilities that cost NIC are things like repairing items, reverse engineering items and producing items. If you own an outpost, and someone in another corp uses the facilities, they pay the full price for using the facilities and your corp wallet gets 50% of that revenue. In an outpost that's regularly used it amounts to a few million a week. It's not much.

Bernard Suits, 1978

The best use of the outposts are as strategic points for staging mining and combat operations, but this can be done without owning the outpost, and was/is part of the game mechanic that allows for Alliances and Non-Agression Pacts; and for allies, use of the station's facilities amounts to 'rent'.