Re: Lack of End Game Balance and You

Arga wrote:

More or different combat tactics aren't going to change the motivation for corporations to 'excel', to reach the resource and production levels where they can afford to consistently field the best bots and fits for as long as it takes to achieve their goal.

Better performance is a motivation for indivduals to try and do their best, having some incentive to control an Island or some type of POS is something a whole Corporation has to be motivated to do.

See, this is what I have a problem with, and you just spew more m2s propaganda. There's something for being very coordinated, and having all the right keys to give you that edge. But that isn't nor should it be the entire game. This is where I have to say again, that's m2s's game. That's the way they want to play it. I don't agree with that, and there's plenty of other people who agree with me.

The more hardcore this game becomes, the less number of people will join. We don't need anymore incentive to fight then to fight. That's what a sandbox is in my opinion. The players decide who and where and, more importantly, WHY they want to fight. Personally, when I played that other sci-fi mmo, most of my time was spent shooting POS's, and it was horribly boring. The other half was looking at a black screen hoping I'd load the grid and not just wake up in station 150m the poorer.

The game needs to support other styles of play better. I don't pretend to have all the awnsers on HOW to make that happen, but some guys play this for the potential they see. They play because they want to hang out with other people that they think alike with. Some people want to log in and mine a few hundred U's of ore while shooting the *** on TS. Others log in to roam around and find fights.

Lets face it, stuff is easier to get then it used to be, but there's still a terribly lot of time spent moving about. That's not nessicarily a bad thing, as some people enjoy moving things about. Everyone has said the game needs more people. I don't know either how to get more people to join and stay, but the game needs to be opened up on the alpha islands more first. More and better pve. Remove ew from non-ew npcs, as it's just annoying. Make it to where a single person can log on, mine the things they need for themselves, or pve enough to be able to buy the things on the market, and make it a bit easier for them.

PvE is a new players initiation to the game. Many new players want to take their time and feel the game out before they decide to join a corp. Perpetuum makes it very hard on new people with low ep to play past 2 weeks/a month before they get bored of the pve. Some decide to quit, some decide to join a corp. If Perpetuum were to keep the ones that didn't want to join a corp within the first month, I would think the player boost would be fairly large.

And while we're at it, lets do away with interference. m2s has made a huge amount of stink about limiting how many people can join an op. I also don't agree with that. The only limit on how many people you should be able to bring to a fight should be server limitations... i.e "if more of them get into the fight, it's gonna crash and take all the gerbils out!!"

Look at the old Q&A from Beta. m2s asks, what are you going to do to combat "the blob", and the DEVs bend over backward to assure m2s that they're going to keep combat small. I can't say that I really blame the DEVs, m2s was a dominate force in the game for 2 years now. I hope to educate the devs on what I belive to be their folly, and ask them to review what it is they really want out of Perpetuum, or do they just want to keep making a game for m2s.

Reset each other yet?

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

See, this is what I have a problem with, and you just spew more m2s propaganda.

See, this is where I stop reading, and you probably even have some good points in your wall of text, but you make everything political instead of just addressing the issue.

Who really cares about end game at the moment!

First expansion has been positive but not enough, that's why player numbers increased the first week then went right back down.

Aside from his political motivation smokey is right on most points he makes. Not sure about the M2S influence. PVE is horrible specially for new players, I remember 6 months ago, confident in my new castel on level 1 missions getting blown up due to EW bots demobbing me. I thought at first I wouldn't encounter any EW at least on lvl 1 assignments, but wtf.

Then I figured PVE is all about kiting not tank, what the hell; gets boring after just a few missions manually keeping distance with wasd keys gets tiring , I just can't stand it. Then is the tiring grind of moving manually from mission to terminals and back. Well maybe its just me or are we more interested in end game? sigh

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Who really cares about end game at the moment!

First expansion has been positive but not enough, that's why player numbers increased the first week then went right back down.

Aside from his political motivation smokey is right on most points he makes. Not sure about the M2S influence. PVE is horrible specially for new players, I remember 6 months ago, confident in my new castel on level 1 missions getting blown up due to EW bots demobbing me. I thought at first I wouldn't encounter any EW at least on lvl 1 assignments, but wtf.

Then I figured PVE is all about kiting not tank, what the hell; gets boring after just a few missions manually keeping distance with wasd keys gets tiring , I just can't stand it. Then is the tiring grind of moving manually from mission to terminals and back. Well maybe its just me or are we more interested in end game? sigh

I can't help but notice that PVE is completely pointless except to farm kernels. You get an entire magnitude more money from transport missions, with zero risk.

And yeah, having to kite EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN LIGHT BOT gets annoying pretty fast. It makes you learn how to be efficient in combat in a pretty big hurry, but it sure does get boring once you figure out the npc routines. If they were marginally smarter and could figure out they were being kited, then yeah, it would be a little more interesting. If they were more ruthless once they actually got you into weapons range, they would be more interesting. It's all about the little things...

As for end game balance... Well I'm not there yet so no clue.

Continually fighting the same mobs is going to be boring, even in WoW, which has a much more PVE centric world, you get bored grinding mobs for rep and dailys.

Doing the same thing repeatedly is going to be boring, which is why I think the dev effort should switch over to providing more PVP options, at least at this time.

Just to remind everyone, I don't PVP. I mostly do PVE, and I am bored with it too and would like to see more activities that I can do solo, but what is really going to get new players to play and stay is a vibrant and motivating PVP.

That said, the 'starter' area could still be improved, but this is not a 'hero' game where you can fight 3-4 robots at the same time, and come out with full armor. But without some type of end game shiny experience waiting, you've only just prolonged their stay until the end of a single sub.

Game needs both PVE and PVP, but resources are always limited, and PVE got some love in the last couple patches, it's time to give some PVP/POS/End game it's turn

Very good post Arga.

A lot of good points for which I agree.  I too believe a lot of corps lost focus and cohesion.  Some just plain burned themselves out.  I don't believe its too late for some corps to "get back into it".  Agreed more content needs to be added to make the game more ingaging but the devs will implement their ideas later, the game is much too new right now and more pressing issues still abound (server stability).

Just a matter of time, game will only get better.  Perpetuum has a great foundation from which to improve.  Most importantly, the devs are listening to the community!  smile

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator

I sang some Lady Gaga, and they listened... much to their horror, so karokee was not implemented. Maybe my next idea will be. :?