Topic: Lack of End Game Balance and You

First, don't troll up my thread and get it closed... *i'm looking at you*

From the start I've been saying that the current outpost based "King of the Hill" model is broken. There needs to be ongoing persitant costs to owning an outpost and not just benefits or once a corporation has gain the hill top for any significant time, there's no way to unseat them.

The game REQUIRES there to be an end-game NIC sink of some sort. Maybe the devs assumed they would have more time to implement it, but it's clearly become an issue.

The ability for 1 corporation to gain dominance in the game has nothing to do with exploits or cheats, it does involve social engineering, fairly common game strategy game tactics, and taking full advantage of the broken end-game.

Something many players have not figured out is that sand-box games are not about bot vs. bot combat, or mining, or running missions. Perpetuum is a Stategy game, a multiplayer game of "Risk".

It's disingenuous to blame the current state of the game on any one corporation, as its the action of all corporations that effect the game play. It was 'inevitable' though, due to the mechanics, that one dominant corporation could eventually gain an advantage that was insurmountable, and do so through completely legitamate means.

A few of the 'mechanics' that I suggested earlier;

A Syndicate Tax on wealth, basically a Corporate income tax combined with a property tax.
An Operation fee for outpost ownership, with a multiplyer for more than 1

And as many others have said, the POS system.

This isn't a call to penalize anyone for being good at the game, these checks and balances should have been in the game from the beginning to moderate growth while the server was gaining population and economic stability. Nor is it a slight against the strategic manuvering required to gain dominance, but in a game that has no unavoidable penalties, its a simple strategy to acheive dominace (although implementation of the strategy does require skilled players).

Re: Lack of End Game Balance and You

Arga wrote:

First, don't troll up my thread and get it closed... *i'm looking at you*

From the start I've been saying that the current outpost based "King of the Hill" model is broken. There needs to be ongoing persitant costs to owning an outpost and not just benefits or once a corporation has gain the hill top for any significant time, there's no way to unseat them.

The game REQUIRES there to be an end-game NIC sink of some sort. Maybe the devs assumed they would have more time to implement it, but it's clearly become an issue.

The ability for 1 corporation to gain dominance in the game has nothing to do with exploits or cheats, it does involve social engineering, fairly common game strategy game tactics, and taking full advantage of the broken end-game.

Something many players have not figured out is that sand-box games are not about bot vs. bot combat, or mining, or running missions. Perpetuum is a Stategy game, a multiplayer game of "Risk".

It's disingenuous to blame the current state of the game on any one corporation, as its the action of all corporations that effect the game play. It was 'inevitable' though, due to the mechanics, that one dominant corporation could eventually gain an advantage that was insurmountable, and do so through completely legitamate means.

A few of the 'mechanics' that I suggested earlier;

A Syndicate Tax on wealth, basically a Corporate income tax combined with a property tax.
An Operation fee for outpost ownership, with a multiplyer for more than 1

And as many others have said, the POS system.

This isn't a call to penalize anyone for being good at the game, these checks and balances should have been in the game from the beginning to moderate growth while the server was gaining population and economic stability. Nor is it a slight against the strategic manuvering required to gain dominance, but in a game that has no unavoidable penalties, its a simple strategy to acheive dominace (although implementation of the strategy does require skilled players).

I think there are great intentions with this post...and I agree. For some corps in the game their ability to produce is far exceeding their cost of doing business.

However, I don't think there is a really good way to systemically accomplish this. If you tax corps the assets will move to the players within those corps. If you tax the players you're hurting everyone down to the lonely noob.

You latched onto something with your post though... there needs to be POS's or some other form of NIC sink for end game corps to do. Unfortunately, that stuff is a ways out...i am sure when it comes, this corp that is in the lead may mismanage its money and overextend into other ventures... or they may not... who knows.

I guess my point is that I can't think of a good mechanic to do what you're talking about doing systemically....but the more content they add the more potential there is for accomplishing this dethroning of this king you speak of.

Maybe I wouldnt troll this tread if it wasn't such blatant m2s propaganda.

"We made it to the top by every means avalible, now we want to make sure other's can't do the same"

Still haven't figured out which m2s alt you are arga, but the cray super computer in my basement is crunching all the input from these boards, and I WILL find out, and soon. Consider yourself warned!

Reset each other yet?

NIC/Resource sinks for end game in a sandbox are a must. Otherwise the markets are going to run rampant. POS' in Eve were a good form of sink as they required fuel to keep them running. This is something I'd like to see in similar terms for PO. Something that requires a moderate amount of effort to upkeep, to show that your corp is involved. The more involved the more you can own and the more you can really display your corps power and memberships efforts. The outposts right now are a really poor excuse for endgame warfare and they really don't take a lot in terms of upkeep. In fact I think there comes a point when the upkeep becomes free after so many defenses.

Endgame needs to be established, because if people show up there and they see what little there is to accomplish from the plateau of the game, they will leave and find another MMO that will reward their efforts and present innovative and engaging challenges.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

"We made it to the top by every means avalible, now we want to make sure other's can't do the same"

Still haven't figured out which m2s alt you are arga, but the cray super computer in my basement is crunching all the input from these boards, and I WILL find out, and soon. Consider yourself warned!

Are you still watching Nauwy outpost for our Lithus as well?

Aphilas wrote:
SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Are you still watching Nauwy outpost for our Lithus as well?

Yep, I saw one the other day infact.

Reset each other yet?

If you find out I'm am M2S alt, let me know too, because I have no knowledge of this alternate existance.... am I Jekyle or Hyde?

I clearly see how a corporation can achieve a high level of sucess in this game, if that kind of strategic thinking isn't clear to you, then you fall into the category that see this game as robots shooting at each other.

Grim of course has an excellent point, adding any kind of 'stick' to the end game like a tax isn't very inviting. The POS carrot sounds much better, but as Glimpse points out, it's going to be a while. Short of that, maybe it would be possible to create something that a corp with a lot of money would like to buy, like their own Island. Its a transparent attempt to try and rebalance the NIC in the game, but it's about trying  to give acutal value for that NIC as opposed to just taxing it away.

details about access, resources, and initial cost would be the sticky points, but I'm trying to think of something positive, to encourage more play, but also help balance out the distribution of wealth and goods

I like the idea of more end game NIC sinks however first you have to make outposts worth owning for more than just E-Peen in order to justify the sink. Right now outposts are nigh useless as an owner in comparison to not owning them.

They had pos's in eve, and they were just giant time sinks in 0.0 . It's only purpose was to get moons which let you reimburse your cap fleet easier. It was just something to occupy your time. I don't know why people would think of them as "end game", unless you need something to occupy yourself.

We had dozens in 0.0, all over eve...

Of course they always brought fights when you planted one in someone's backyard smile

It's not about replicating Eve and having huge time sinks. It's moreso about having something, as opposed to our current nothing. We don't need to copy EvE's layout in it's entirety and have to assume they will just be a big waste of time and an open door to 'zomgcapswarm'. Having some sort of customizeable, player owned forts/bases/structures, would further the sandbox's development and actually give corps who have the time and resources a greater sense of accomplishment and a common goal to work towards. Let's face, as it is, no one really wants to do to much in Beta because there's not much point in trying to defend a pile of empty islands, or even one for that matter. It's easier on the logistics to just run ops in to beta and then leave when you see fit as opposed to taking an OP and waiting for a blob to signup and wipe you out on scheduled time.

Just reiterating what's been said already - give outposts benefits for owning them. Then add in upkeep costs.

The intended benefit is the EC system...we just don't have it yet.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

It's moreso about having something, as opposed to our current nothing.

If we worked towards equipping ourselves properly, gearing properly, and fighting very well there's a lot to do in that.

I really think having a solid cohesive group of guys in the end, properly fitted, able to gear up easily, smooth logistics, and adapting to game mechanic changes over the course is a solid end game goal. This is of course without having to have the help of 50 other people to survive.

If this was done, we could likely well have people being independent as groups across the islands, ie more pvp, more pve and more fun.

But people don't want to do this, so they compensate their shortcomings  by asking developers for more content, or blob.

If people had a reason to do this, they would. The current state of the game seems to resound that they don't, given that there's barely any PvP going on aside for intrusions.

I know you PvP and roam, do you find that you have a lot of targets? Do you not think with more reason to be on Beta it would not benefit the PvP scene with risk vs reward? Right now the major 'reward' if you can call it that is owning an outpost, which kind of puts large-scale fights on a schedule. Inbetween intrusions what's there to fight over? You're basically going to be culling random people ninja-farming or mining, if you're lucky.

I don't think right now we have a lack of skilled people or drive to compete, I think what we really have is a lack of things to compete for.

14 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-06-01 16:20:31)

They need to introduce something to put "cows" ie targets on the islands. However if the cows can't learn how to survive properly, they'll be slaughtered.

Mara Kaid wrote:

They need to introduce something to put "cows" ie targets on the islands. However if the cows can't learn how to survive properly, they'll be slaughtered.

That's their own problem and part of that risk for their reward. yarr

I'd just like to point out that the POS/Sov System wasn't as big of a money sink as people thought.  Yeah it was time consuming and you did have to acquire large quantities of items to keep them working.  But that didn't stop one man corps from setting up their own system, much less major alliances.  I've been out of the game a couple years now but some of my corp mates still play and they talk like everyone has enough resources to invest in personal motherships.  People apparently have a lot of free cash floating around.

We the exception of dramatic and scalable cost increases to holding multiple outposts, I'm not sure you will ever truly have money sink in a sandbox game.

17 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-06-01 16:59:17)

Yeah, they're more of a time sink I suppose. ( money if you're lazy and just buy fuel ) But that in itself is kind of what balances the territorial ownership. Even the biggest names in EvE couldn't own everything because they just don't have the resources for upkeep, nor logistics. That's in a perfect setting of course, as there's also war to keep in mind.

But right now, with PO, there's no real scalable time sink that keeps ownership in check. You can essentially entrench and the upkeep eventually disappears. Given that there's not near enough space to make a POS style structure like Eve, upkeep would definitely have to be a lot steeper to prevent POS' showing up everywhere. Unless of course Dev's open up even more space.

But I guess this is all speculation for now. I think CRM or someone said they're working on the POS system, so we'll just have to wait and see what they concoct.

The only certainty is, we do need something.

Mara Kaid wrote:

It's moreso about having something, as opposed to our current nothing.

If we worked towards equipping ourselves properly, gearing properly, and fighting very well there's a lot to do in that.

I really think having a solid cohesive group of guys in the end, properly fitted, able to gear up easily, smooth logistics, and adapting to game mechanic changes over the course is a solid end game goal. This is of course without having to have the help of 50 other people to survive.

If this was done, we could likely well have people being independent as groups across the islands, ie more pvp, more pve and more fun.

But people don't want to do this, so they compensate their shortcomings  by asking developers for more content, or blob.

I know that it looks sometimes like I'm waving an M2S #1 foamy finger, but Mara is right on track here, it takes time, effort, and determination to make a succesful corporation. M2S has a dramatic lead, because they have been working as a focused and cohesieve force since beta, and it's going to take a serious level of effort to counter that.

The 100 billion NIC question is simply, do the current game mechanics allow the possiblity for new corps or existing corps to regroup and regain what was lost?

What has changed, why does one corp now have a majority of the outposts?

The biggest change is the new logistics of travel, the time to get around has been dramatically reduced with the introduction of additional teleports and highways.

But something else must have changed too, maybe its not a game mechanic at all, but more along the lines of Aranol leaving, in that vetern players are just getting burned out, and corp leaders are losing focus; while others are not.

And that there, where the game can't keep leaders interested, is where meta-game hits game mechanics.

Plain and simple, leaders need to be motivated to achieve goals, they will in turn motivate thier corporation. The generic term NIC sink is anything from simply losing bots in combat to 'owning' your own island with a 1000 M nic/week upkeep. AC is going to need to do something, they may need to try a number of different things, we just don't know what is going to motivate existing leaders or what may trigger the rise of new leadership.

What ISN'T going to work, is more of the same. If POS simply consists of mining stations and combat turrets, those are not going to motivate leaders. We need something SHINY, and I would argue that it CAN be simply ePeen. I suspect that even an outpost that allowed you to change the color of your bots would be enough to generate a WAR to control it.

AC - try something please.

Arga wrote:

I know that it looks sometimes like I'm waving an M2S #1 foamy finger, but Mara is right on track here, it takes time, effort, and determination to make a succesful corporation. M2S has a dramatic lead, because they have been working as a focused and cohesieve force since beta, and it's going to take a serious level of effort to counter that.

The 100 billion NIC question is simply, do the current game mechanics allow the possiblity for new corps or existing corps to regroup and regain what was lost?

Yeah they do. We're having a blast, and we have the right people and attitude. Those new alpha islands are chock full of good resources to get people competitive gear. Really there's only a few good spots on the betas that are "worthwhile." Now you can just farm the new alphas, try it out, it's awesome!!! LOL!! Need epi, lol mine it on the empty islands.

But something else must have changed too, maybe its not a game mechanic at all, but more along the lines of Aranol leaving, in that vetern players are just getting burned out, and corp leaders are losing focus; while others are not.

People choose to "live" on beta like prey. They know it, and if you go to the same spot 10 times with the same ratting robot expect to be eaten up. You can't keep playing that way, your opponents will simply grind you to the tilt.

Plain and simple, leaders need to be motivated to achieve goals, they will in turn motivate thier corporation.

Yes corps with direction often give their members something good to work for. Ones that push their corps too hard often burn out their members.

What ISN'T going to work, is more of the same

I'd love control points, like in darkfall. Maybye smaller stations too! That would be fun!

I think the way the game is designed helps create the blob.  Whoever has the oldest accounts have the EP advantage allowing the better skilling of bots.  For another guild to be competitive in pvp you then need to gain the blob to balance the reduced EP they have . As time goes on the EP difference becomes less important as the 'end game' is reached but by this time the blobs tend to suck up people still as it becomes more of a numbers game.  Tactics still play a part as we see today with pairing of bots together (sum > individual) and bomb bots, but if you find a winning combination and you have the pilots to drive them the blob is still king.

My hope is that the more diversity we get in the end game (which I do think this game has) the more hope there is.  My own suggestion for encouraging anti-blob / players on more islands would to limit each beta outpost to say 30 named players.  ie if your not on the list you can never enter. Perhaps this would encourage guilds to take over and USE multiple outposts rather than being based in a single (result dead islands)  one or trying to take them all over for the glory of the epeen.

why not just change way outposts work make them conquerable allow a corp to control the outpost and if you dont have good relations with said corp you dont get access to the outpost cant dock shop repair nothing and if you want accsess you have  take the outpost away from them.

then charge operating cost to maintain the outpost such as mineral need deposited to run repair shop etc as well as power and other things needed and then charge money as well cause outpost doesnt run itself somebody has to pay the labor so

if would do this then corps would be sinking minerals and money into there outposts this removes stuff from game and gives ya a reason to fight cause if you want to dock at an outpost and not have to haul your crap back to alpha better fight for it.

22 (edited by Guns nButter 2011-06-02 16:08:17)

This thread is deteriorating into "how to stop the blob".
1) Interference
2) Artillery
3) superior tactics
mmmmkay?

on topic:
i don't have any personal experience on beta so I'll leave that discussion to the major players tongue

No one can stop blobbing. Even with mechanics as such that we have, the blob will always exist. A blob doesn't inherently mean a stack of players all on top of each other, it means overwhelming numbers. These can be split in all directions of the compass to negate clustering, which is what bot explosions and interference actually affect, clustering, not blobs.

You can't stop people from grouping up and playing together. It's just not going to happen. A game mechanic isn't suddenly going to make a bunch of people not want to group up for a common cause. If there's a majority and they don't like you for whatever reason, they'll attack you with all the numbers they can muster and why shouldn't they? This is a strategy game and you strategize to take as few losses as possible, while inflicting the maximum amount possible on the enemy. This can happen to anyone. Anyone can blob anyone. If you suddenly find that you're the target of a blob, it's because of something you did. Don't go blaming game mechanics because more players than you have a common cause. Saying that a majority should comply with your minority is completely nonsensical.

Don't take this explanation as a support vote on my behalf either. I'm simply explaining a concept, that will always exist. Blobs are a tangible form of democracy, it's one notion vs the other and the minority typically gets squashed.

Find a way to deal with the adversity your views put you in, or you're going to have to face the odds every time you step in to the open.

There is no blobbing in Perpetuum. wink

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

More or different combat tactics aren't going to change the motivation for corporations to 'excel', to reach the resource and production levels where they can afford to consistently field the best bots and fits for as long as it takes to achieve their goal.

Better performance is a motivation for indivduals to try and do their best, having some incentive to control an Island or some type of POS is something a whole Corporation has to be motivated to do.