Topic: Oh, he stopped moving again!

Dunno how often i hear it, or see it myself :

You are dual or multiboxing. One of the chars was just set to autorun a lon highway. You look at your second char, doing whatever you're doing. You look back and DAMN! HE stopped moving again!

Iirc a dev said, that if theres packetloss, or client hickup for a second, movement is stopped.

Its quite okay to stop if the client has no more connection.

But there should be a small timer with a grace period in which the stop wont occur.

Most of the time its really a very very short connection issue or its the PC or perhaps even the server or peering to .hu. It feels in the microsecond range.

I dont think that for such a short loss we should stand still in mobs with our secondary toons.

Re: Oh, he stopped moving again!

+1

Karism wrote:

+1

Ohh you would.
Yes totally +1 to this idea.

+1 not for the sake of multiboxing, as it is totally unrelated IMHO

but autorun stopping or not even able to start it with double-tap, and  aproach stopping everytime when theres more action on your screen is rather anoying.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

i  agree this is most anoying even when just useing one account when i tell my bot to move in a direction should keep going in that direction till i tell him to stop not take coffee breaks while i am clicking buttons

Shouldn't be that hard to fix i would imagine that if the approach button is pushed have it activate like a module where it cycles and continues to try to follow/approach selected item every 5-10 seconds. Auto run might be harder to over come. Then again I haven't wrote a lick of code and have no idea the depth this would take.

Since movement is controlled by the server to prevent cheating, this idea is inherently flawed.

So this is a design fail that cant be fixed ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear: the interruption is a bug, no doubt. But introducing a "timer" would mean that robot control is temporarily removed from the server's supervision and when the timer ends the server would need to accept whatever your robot has done in the meantime. It's not hard to see why this would be bad I think.

Yeah, people could exploit this to teleport. Even with some security, people could use it for small scale teleport, like on the other side of a building. It's bad stuff.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

ya i can see the timer being bad but don't see were makeing the approach more persistant like a mod is

if it would be more persistant there would be no way to cheat. I mean come on this is not the only Mmorpg out there and no others have this problem with there /follow commands and nobody has found ways to use /follow as a cheat.

warcraft eve lotro swg everquest vanguard just the short list of games i have two boxed in and none of them did i have to keep clicking follow over and over and over to move 50 meters in the game

it works in window mode only

Have a productive day, Runner

Add a 'follow' command or build it into the approach option. When you disconnect from following like you do now the client should be aware of this (Because, you know.. you're not moving any more) and should trigger another approach command.

Simple on paper. Harder to program.

There's also the issue where you DC and then continue running into an NPC spawn to take into account. I'm all for fixing the 'micro disconnects', but I also don't want to open a 1000 tickets to get my bots back.

There's also the no-moving issue when the following robot gets stuck on a plant and the autofollow stops.