Re: Trial Account Restrictions (Bumming Me Out)

I was just thinking this morning that I would totally trade a 30 day account code for NIC and/or goods. I think the devs went with codes so they could eventually put something like what Eve has into the game, wouldn't make sense on any scale at this time because the economy is fragile.

Your logic for gold farming is sound, but there is also the 'blue water' concept. If your a gold farmer, you have a ton of competition in games like WOW and Rift, which keeps prices very low. While there may not be a current NIC market, if you were to get in now and start building up a NIC nest egg, WHEN the game gets older, there will be a market and you will be in position to capitalize.

I would say they are adequately paraniod vs unbelievably. They already found and shut down one farming operation. If you don't expect the game to survive and thrive, then its unbelievably, but the devs and a whole bunch of other players assume that the game will continue and grow in popularity, so its believable that a crafty gold farmer would believe this too.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that said farmer is already in the game and invested a couple hundred $$'s in multiple accounts just gathering EP, but not putting any effort into actually farming yet. But that really has nothing to do with bulk trial account farming smile

About catching them though. Your totally correct about being able to automate the detection algorythms, but the farmers are programmers too, and losing free accounts doesn't mean anything, but they will slowly learn how to avoid detection. For as big as WOW is and the quality and quantity of programmers Blizzard has, you would think that they would be able to detect and catch gold farmers too. Selling game currency is a huge business. "Gold Farmer" is so generic a term, but they are usually teams of programmers hacking clients, injecting data streams, and just about any other black hat cracking/hacking activity you can think of.

Security through obscurity, or Perpetuum is too small for them to notice, never a good practice.

I wouldn't mind seeing 15 day unlimited trials codes again from players in addition to the unlimited restricted trial accounts. That way players that are really interested in getting friends in can still do so. Its the 'unlimited' part of the trial codes that really causes the potential issue.

Ral wrote:

I smell troll.

But seriously, you don't even have to "buy" the game, you just pay the monthly fee and get the game for free.  I bought Rift just to check it out, that was $50.  Assuming OP is a legitimate potential player, you have enough curiosity and interest in the game to get $10 out of it.  That's the price of seeing a movie or going to a cheap restaurant.  You'll get more than that out of 30 days in Perpetuum.  Stop being cheap and pay up for what you clearly are enjoying.

This.

In a non-persistent universe RMT mostly hurts a company financially and puts a huge burden on the community management team to handle all the illegal transfers, account frauds, and user complaints. In our case, we have to protect the in game economy as well. If we lighten the restrictions, we have to allocate resources to constantly monitor and handle violators. We simply can't afford this cat and mouse game at the moment.

For now, unless we are convinced that we went further with the limitations, than serving their purpose, we will keep them in place. This is to allow us to focus all our resources and efforts on making the game better. The GMs are always available to answer questions and so is this great community, don't hesitate to turn to them either in game or in these forums.

DEV Calvin wrote:

If we lighten the restrictions, we have to allocate resources to constantly monitor and handle violators. We simply can't afford this cat and mouse game at the moment.

In that case, I think the length of the trial is inconsistent with the progression the player can make. Most trial players seem to be completing the content available in a couple of days, and then feeling short changed.

At the moment the trial is only there to give players a very basic idea of how the game feels (the UI, how the basic mechanics work, what buttons to press to do what) but does not include access to any real content. So you don't need two weeks for it.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

IIRC there was a discussion about trial length some days ago and I agree to Campana. The trial is by far too long for the so called "content" a trial player has to explore to. The actual content that may be discovered by a trial player should be known after 2-3 days with about 6-12 hours of total playtime. So reducing the trial length to 7 days should be enough, even if you are not that fast...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Campana wrote:

In that case, I think the length of the trial is inconsistent with the progression the player can make. Most trial players seem to be completing the content available in a couple of days, and then feeling short changed.

We took into consideration, that people may go away on a business trip, holiday, have to hand in a paper or spend some quality family time. This way there is no time pressure to play around with it.

DEV Calvin wrote:

We took into consideration, that people may go away on a business trip, holiday, have to hand in a paper or spend some quality family time. This way there is no time pressure to play around with it.

Can you make it based on hours logged into the game instead? So it expires after 18 or 24 hrs of playing time or whatever.

It's a case of managing expectations...people are continually expressing disappointment with the trial both here and in the help channel because they expect there to be two weeks of trial content. There isn't, so they feel cheated.

Bernard Suits, 1978

bah, campana, that wouldnt work

if i could have a trial account that can collect EP for weeks, but the trial length is capped by played time...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

bah, campana, that wouldnt work

if i could have a trial account that can collect EP for weeks, but the trial length is capped by played time...

Ah good point. The trial would also have to run out after two weeks, then.

Bernard Suits, 1978

Just one point, if no one's mentioned it yet. You can get decoders from artifact scanning, I got one today, and yes I'm on a trial account.

you could even get assault bots as trail agents:

get an argano -
someone drops packaged assault into fieldcontainer
you take it out -
be happy.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Welcome to Perpetuum! Thanks for posting, great info smile

What yopu spend is time.  I'm in the same boat.  Two days and I feel like I've done all I can.  Yes I've played MMO games before but not so many like this.

It is the interplayer relations that make a game like this eye catching and as a Trial player I'm not really feeling the in game relations; mainly due to the fact that I'm a trial player and can't do much... and the snake eats its tail.

Being in a big shooty mech would be nice but it's not the be all and end all.  I want to know what actually goes on 'behind the scenes' and that is off limits as well.  Hard to keep someones attention when they're a dogs body.

The game does 'seem' to be awesome.  But time is a valuable thing to everyone; 30 days of this game is alot of time, irregardless of the money.

Gharl Incognito wrote:

The game does 'seem' to be awesome.  But time is a valuable thing to everyone; 30 days of this game is alot of time, irregardless of the money.

I don't disagree with this, I'm just not sure what you mean.

If money isn't the issue, then subscribe and if the 'seems' doesn't live up to the hype, then don't resub; your not actually forced to play the game for the whole 30 days of the sub like those chinese labor workers smile

Forced to... no.  Will want to use what I paid for... yes.  I've been sucked into games before and spend money on them... only to discover that the in game player interactions were a little vapid and mostly ended up as 'name calling'.

I'm not saying that is the case here(in fact if these are corporations I'd expect a little vapid 'name calling').  Now, my point here is that it would be nice to experience player interactions on a trial account insofar as player based corps are concerned.

On the other side of the coin, being in and part of a corporation requires a certain degree of dedication from both the player and the corp.

I suspect that many corps, even if the game allowed it, would not accept trial players. There are a couple really big reasons for this, first is it take time, energy, and resources from the Corp to integrate new people (if your not integrated in, your not going to have any of that player interaction you wanted to test anyway) and corporations want to know that players are going to stick around before putting in that effort. The second is no corporation wants to be the victum of a 'Corp theif', so any trial player (all players actually) would have to be on probation until they fully activate their account.

So joining corps on trials probably isn't going to give you a chance to experience that anyway. What you can do however, is use this time to find a corp and get some more information about them, and maybe join them on team speak. If you like the corp, then sub and join.

How about allowing trial players to trade with other trial players only ?

Together with NPC-sold lvl 1 decoders it would let trial industrialists to actually build stuff and have someone to sell it to.

And for trial combat types - introduce new factional bot, somewhat better than the first one. And make this bot buildable by trial players (not sure on specifics here). Thus the combat types will have a clear, achievable upgrade to strive for beyond the 10 training missions.

i was unable to join a corp,

my personal view if is some one joins a corp they have more reason to stay and get help starting out in the game and finding there feet.

let people join corps smile

I did not want to make a new post, instead replying to this one.

I started a few days ago and did the tutorials. I am fully battle oriented. At the last tutorial you get a new Mech. Fitted it with missile launchers, till I came to the conclusion I did not have that many missiles.

Did one mission and was out of missiles. Trying to buy missiles, but it was not possible or at a high price, where a mission would not cover the cost, instead would make me lose NIC.

Also tried to look if I could make my own ammo, reading the forums about restriction makes me to believe this is impossible.

Maybe I am missing something, but in my experience, after the tutorial, you are done with the trial.

- You can do missions, but mission reward + loot does not cover the ammo cost
- Can mine but can not use the ore for manufacturing
- Can not buy anything from the market or even see how the market is
- Trying industrialist character is a no go

I can understand the restrictions, mainly because of exploiting the trial. But these restrictions punish the new players (and potential sub) a lot.

Few questions though and hope someone can answer this.

I have read about Artficing (or something similar). Just wondering what it is and how it works. In other words, I can fight NPC's for so long and mining is boring for me. So looking for something similar to EvE's exploring.

Also how is PvP. I have read solo PvP is almost impossible, which is okies. Is PvP in Perpetuum almost instant or do you have to look for a fight for 4 hours to find a single Mech.

Would be nice to get an honest answer.

dunno how much of artifact scanning is possible for trials - its probably discouraging as you need two extension + a geoscanner, and the ammo is also rather extpensive. ontop of that, with the equipment you got access to, the result accuracy is low (= more scanner ammo consumption)

for your beginner experience with the equip you got from the training assignment (intentionally not calling it tutorial) its a bit of a controversity. If you know where to spend your extension points, you can start with it right off the batch, farming the lvl zero npcs (note: grinding them without mission).
for the first day i would rather suggest, go out and farm the factional drones with autocannons on your arkhe MK2, until you got a good stockpile of spare NIC (they usually drop more ammo then you need to kill them, so you can sell the plasma right away)

TMA agent, you want to use your missiles around day two or three and kill "servant heralds" with them, not "servant grunt". at that time your basic robotics should be lvl5, your robot equipped with four launcher, a small repair and a t1 lightweight frame.

about your pvp question: with the current population, and roaming groups consisting of almost blind stealth robots... the chance to meet someone fast is rather low. at least that what i have heard.