Topic: Trial Account Restrictions (Bumming Me Out)

Hi!

Been playing for 2 days now and I can say in my opinion that the restrictions to the trial accounts are really excessive. Here are a few that have stopped me from enjoying the game:

1. No market access. (from word go the game informs you that trial accounts cannot see player sales.... Why? If a trial account holder does make a purchase from a player the game economy does not suffer, it thrives)

2. Cannot Buy Decoders. (Why? A trial account RE items does not effect the game economy in a negative way.)

3. Cannot purchase Assault Mechs or better. (Why? I trianed my skills to use an assault mech, and the market says the lowest priced is 480000NIC so i could afford it and arm it. So let me buy it.)

4. +0.02avg increased relation per mission. (omg thats 50 missions to get a 1 relation with starting corp, mind you there is only 1 level 0 mission for my corp Matsuda and only 3 that give positive relation for Matsuda. That is really excessive so after 22 missions i am only on +0.17 with starting corp, and my mission are still level 0)

So the above items are stopping me from progressing in the game, yes i can see how you would harvest resources, and refine them, i can research Kernels and make better equipment. I cannot buy or sell any but the basic items, i cant even sell a T1 autocannon.
I cannot RE anything as i cant buy even a level 1 decoder. I cannot manufacture anything since i cannot get blueprints from RE. I can make prototypes!

In what way do these restrictions to Trial Accounts benefit the Perpetuum game community?
Do these restrictions allow a Trial Account holder to experience what the game has to offer?

Anyway if you want to make a Trial Account to see what Perpetuum has to offer then my opinion would be do not make a trial at this time as you would not be experiencing anything of the game besides some lite PVE content and some harvesting(not covered in tuturial btw) and mining.
You can research Kernels that drop from PVE robots and after you recycle a lot of T1 autocannons and other odds and ends you can look forward to making a T1 Standard Medium Machinegun that takes 20hours to assemble. (Oh btw you probable wont be able to use said weapon unless you have spent your EP on Kinematics which would would not do on a trial account anyway as you are forced to initially focus on Optics/Missiles/Magnetostatics.)

So unless they fix the above and remove the restrictions you will just end up frustrated and from what i have read that would be a shame as the game has all the elements required to make it interesting and fun.

And I am sitting here writing this instead of playing when i have 13days of trial to go and i can not do anything more in the game, i have done it all, i might grind on to see what relation i need to get level 1 missions....<sigh>

Re: Trial Account Restrictions (Bumming Me Out)

I'd like to see trial accounts able to buy off of the market but not sell or trade.

Make it so.

... or you could activate your account.

It sounds like the trial has done what it was supposed to do, from the way you describe the game components, it sounds like you have alot of experience with this type of game, so you didn't need the whole 15 days.

Other players new to the sandbox genre may take most of the 2 weeks to understand Reverse engineeing, gathering, and combat to determine if this is the type of game they want to play, which is why the trial is that long; its 'sized' for the new player.

Time is money, and a 30 day code is less than $10, I wouldn't suggest slogging around for 13 more days just to use them up when you can just start playing. And I'm 99% sure that you don't lose those free days, they just get tacked on; for example if you apply a 30 day code, you're game time would be good for 43 more days, but without restriction.

I'm sure you've read the other posts in the trial forum about this subject, so I'm not going to repeat why the restrictions are there. (there's only a few threads, so if you didn't read them, i would highly suggest you do so).

GLiMPSE wrote:

I'd like to see trial accounts able to buy off of the market but not sell or trade.

Make it so.

Trial accounts farm NIC, buy Items from 'parent' account/s, trial NIC now flows into player economy.

There's no reason to go part way, either the trial accounts are restricted, or they are fully open. Any thing less just defeats the purpose of the restrictions in the first place.

If there are suddenly 100's of new trial accounts daily, the dev's know there's something going on, but there's no way to know which of those accounts are really new interested players and which are making mischeif. Every second they have to spend weeding them out is seconds less to build our new Islands.

Arga wrote:
GLiMPSE wrote:

Make it so.

Trial accounts farm NIC, buy Items from 'parent' account/s, trial NIC now flows into player economy.

How am I able to farm NIC better/faster using a trial account compared to a real account (with access to T1+ assignments)?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

GLiMPSE wrote:

You either give full access or none, it makes no sense otherwise.

I not feel any elaboration is necessary, the reason you being a very smart individual.

DEV Calvin

Don't think of the trial account ABUSER as being a real person, its just a bot, and it isn't really faster, simply that they can use scaling. For instance earning 10K NIC an hour doesn't seem like much, but if you can program a macro that runs without human intervention, you can do this on 1000 accounts at the same time, 24/7, that's 168 Million per week. And if they really get a good macro, and can earn 100K an hour (which is still 10x less than a real player can make), that's 1.68 BILLION per week.

Sure the Dev's could probably find most of those 1000 accounts, but the abuser will just create more, and the devs end up spending all their time chasing down exploiters instead of working on the game.

When something is 'free' there's nothing to limit how many of them you can abuse at the same time. And any 'gothca' you can think of, like they can't run 1000 clients, are issues they have already tackeled with other MMO's; as well as 'smart' macros.

Later, after the game has 60,000 players online, it won't be AS important to limit NIC farming as it is now with only 200 players online. If you don't think having billions of NIC per week flood into the game isn't going to affect the market, that's just wrong.

If a think 'can' be done, someone will do it.

Arga Wrote:

It sounds like the trial has done what it was supposed to do, from the way you describe the game components, it sounds like you have alot of experience with this type of game, so you didn't need the whole 15 days.

I Say:

Yes I have had a bit of experience with this sort of game, eg: Eve, Mechwarrior series, and a host of other mmo's. I would not purchase something without knowing what i am getting, thats just wrong no matter the price.

People, just because it is the internet does not change the principle. You wouldn't buy a car without checking it out first... would you?

There are many many more mmo's I have played and in my experience many of them are documented much better than Perpetuum. It is hard to find information on Perpetuum. This game on the surface says it has what I want in a game but there is no way to tell for real without trying it out. That is what a trial is for...in my experience!

By Limiting the trials as i mentioned in my initial post it defeats the purpose intended in that it does not allow potential customers from making an informed decission about a product they have an interest in purchasing!

This game pushes quite heavily on corporation reliance and not freelance play, now you by no means need a corp and you can freelance, but without a corp your puchasing and manufacturing potential is heavily limited, it would be hard to purchase the best Mechs and Armaments, you could not seriously do any commercial manufacturing or R&D. So the limits should be focused on transaction with corps and joining a corps. That would be enough.

A new player would want to:
1. Explorer the environment(world of Perpetuum).
2. Mine and harvest with the outlook of manufacturing some goods and selling them for profit. (This would allow someone to decied if they want that sort of ingame career)
3. Harvest PVE loot drops, with the outlook of reverse engineering them to make blueprints for the above point
4. Getting into the biggest darn mech they can so they can PVP in some modicum or sense of style.

So for points 2,3,4 to bad so sad you have to pay to play. So much for the trial.

Arga Wrote:

Other players new to the sandbox genre may take most of the 2 weeks to understand Reverse engineeing, gathering, and combat to determine if this is the type of game they want to play, which is why the trial is that long; its 'sized' for the new player

I Say:

Read my first post... I state that you can not reverse engineer! Why gather resources (step 1 of a multi stage process) if there is no outcome or fruit to your endeavours?

Arga Wrote:

If there are suddenly 100's of new trial accounts daily, the dev's know there's something going on, but there's no way to know which of those accounts are really new interested players and which are making mischeif. Every second they have to spend weeding them out is seconds less to build our new Islands.

I Say:

On the naughty mischief making troublemakers: You have got to be kidding me right? So the Dev's really that concerned that out of the hundreds of actual customers they get that 1 or 2 of that hundred MAY have malicious intentions.... Wow Mr X has started a trial account so he can rake in the big bucks and trade everything to his Mr Y account! That is seriously lame for a game that is setup for dual boxing and multi accounts.

Arga Wrote:

I'm sure you've read the other posts in the trial forum about this subject, so I'm not going to repeat why the restrictions are there. (there's only a few threads, so if you didn't read them, i would highly suggest you do so).

I Say:

Out of the 10 post in this forum please post me a link where the trial account restrictions are outline....please.

SparksMcKool wrote:

This game on the surface says it has what I want in a game but there is no way to tell for real without trying it out. That is what a trial is for...in my experience!

By Limiting the trials as i mentioned in my initial post it defeats the purpose intended in that it does not allow potential customers from making an informed decission about a product they have an interest in purchasing!

Or even worse, you can easily make false, bad impression of the game because of your trial account implementation...

I not feel any elaboration is necessary, the reason you being a very smart individual.

DEV Calvin

Here is a thought about restricting the trial accounts.

Make all features available but cap Extensions.

eg: You need Basic Robotics 4 and Thelodica Robot Control 4 to use an Assualt Mech. If the Advanced Robotics is caped at 1 you would be able to pilot a Mech but if it is locked on a trial account you would be unable to pilot anything bigger than an Assault Mech.

This works with all Piloting Extensions and Weapon Extension and limits the development of industrial and corporation extensions.

SparksMcKool wrote:

Here is a thought about restricting the trial accounts.

Make all features available but cap Extensions.

eg: You need Basic Robotics 4 and Thelodica Robot Control 4 to use an Assualt Mech. If the Advanced Robotics is caped at 1 you would be able to pilot a Mech but if it is locked on a trial account you would be unable to pilot anything bigger than an Assault Mech.

This works with all Piloting Extensions and Weapon Extension and limits the development of industrial and corporation extensions.

Yep, that is what I was talking about.

However the key point still is if devs want to lift market restrictions or not because Light Robots are the only ones seeded by NPC.

DEV Calvin

If game Developers feel they need to so heavily restrict game content at such an early stage, basicly from the outset in a trial, and the content that is being restricted are major game elements, then it would lead me in my opinion to believe that the game itself lacks any real depth of content. I would expect that a game like this to have more content than say old DOS games like Elite.

Sure I understand that developers need to put money in their pockets but a game needs to showcase what you can do, what it offers, give you a taste of the forbidden fruit so you want more not to uninstall.

I want to say to friends catch you online later we're gonna harvest a ton of ore and need haulers and some muscle to cover us. I don't want to say to my friends tried the trial of Perpetuum what a bummer, come over and we'll drink beer and play Mechwarrior on the big screen. :Dlol

Arga wrote:

Don't think of the trial account ABUSER as being a real person, its just a bot, and it isn't really faster, simply that they can use scaling. For instance earning 10K NIC an hour doesn't seem like much, but if you can program a macro that runs without human intervention, you can do this on 1000 accounts at the same time, 24/7, that's 168 Million per week. And if they really get a good macro, and can earn 100K an hour (which is still 10x less than a real player can make), that's 1.68 BILLION per week.

Sure the Dev's could probably find most of those 1000 accounts, but the abuser will just create more, and the devs end up spending all their time chasing down exploiters instead of working on the game.

Why would the devs have to chase the 1000 trial accounts for that? Just ban/delete the accounts that earn profit with this method... So they wont't have to chase 1000 but perhaps 10 accounts.

I agree to Sparks saying that if this is the only problem the devs have (fear of trial account abuse) then I might be playing another game as they do...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Maynard Benaui wrote:
GLiMPSE wrote:

You either give full access or none, it makes no sense otherwise.

Good attempt at an obvious troll -- but it does make sense....

Farmers can't sell their wares on a trial account or trade. Who cares if noobies that may quit the game push money into the economy. A buyer is a buyer and we need more activity in the economy.

They could bot and farm until their eyes go red, and buy all sorts of ***, but they won't be able to do anything with their accumulated mass of items off the market (except use it themselves for 15 days) until they pay for an account...

15 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-04-13 15:47:17)

Arga wrote:

When something is 'free' there's nothing to limit how many of them you can abuse at the same time. And any 'gothca' you can think of, like they can't run 1000 clients, are issues they have already tackeled with other MMO's; as well as 'smart' macros.

Later, after the game has 60,000 players online, it won't be AS important to limit NIC farming as it is now with only 200 players online. If you don't think having billions of NIC per week flood into the game isn't going to affect the market, that's just wrong.

If a think 'can' be done, someone will do it.

That's all well and good, but they can't do anything with all of this NIC unless they purchase 1000 accounts... and I don't think anyone,including the DEVS, would have a problem with that as they could just ban the majority of the botters and get payed for their time.

And if they were able to buy off the market, again, wouldn't matter -- they'd have all sorts of items they could do nothing with unless they payed for their accounts... and the people worried about being able to sell their *** into the economy will sleep a little easier.

Let's be real here, the abusers/botters aren't going to buy items, it will do them no good unless they buy an account. It does help the honest new player get a feel for what the progression looks like and maybe if he can manage to get his assault bot before the 15 days he'll feel vested... after all... that's how these games succeed... by making you feel vested.

I actually agree that allowing trial players to *buy* from player sell orders but not put up their own sell orders could work. It would give trial account players more things to do without allowing anyone else to exploit the trial.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

GLiMPSE wrote:

That's all well and good, but they can't do anything with all of this NIC unless they purchase 1000 accounts....

Ah, but if they let trial members buy from the market, then they can send that NIC by purchasing a buy order from a paying account, which can do anything they want.

SparksMcKool wrote:

wall-o-stuff

We can degrade this discussion to the "really!?, really!?" state easily enough.

Really, your going to compare buying a $25,000 car to paying $10 for 30 days of access to a game!?

Legedric Warstrike wrote:

Why would the devs have to chase the 1000 trial accounts for that? Just ban/delete the accounts that earn profit with this method... So they wont't have to chase 1000 but perhaps 10 accounts.

Looking at the transactions logs to determine if the account is earning NIC 24 hours a day is exactly what I mean by 'chasing' the account down.

Its incredibly easy to macro the creation of a new email account and a new trial account. These people are already out there doing this to other games, its really no trouble for them to do this with Perpetuum, if they can get enough scale to make it worth it. There are already sites out there selling NIC, i'm not going to link them, just google it.

For every account they track down, another 10 will be created.

But worse than that, what if they accidentally ban a REAL player, that alone will do more to hurt this game then any restrictions ever would.

The other thing with trial accounts, is anyone can create one or two, and then post on the forums from multiple avatars to make a subject look like a bigger issue than it is. I may actually be SparksMcKool, you would never know...

1+2+3 : calid
4: get over it, there needs to be some kind of grind smile

I smell troll.

But seriously, you don't even have to "buy" the game, you just pay the monthly fee and get the game for free.  I bought Rift just to check it out, that was $50.  Assuming OP is a legitimate potential player, you have enough curiosity and interest in the game to get $10 out of it.  That's the price of seeing a movie or going to a cheap restaurant.  You'll get more than that out of 30 days in Perpetuum.  Stop being cheap and pay up for what you clearly are enjoying.

additonal - you get 15 days for free

even if you subscribe and activate your account after 1 day -
- youre trial restriction will be lifted in an instant
- your gameaccess will be extended by 30 days
- means you had 1 day trial, and 44 days for the price of 30 days

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

23 (edited by Crepitus 2011-04-21 14:20:09)

Arga wrote:

Time is money, and a 30 day code is less than $10, I wouldn't suggest slogging around for 13 more days just to use them up when you can just start playing. And I'm 99% sure that you don't lose those free days, they just get tacked on; for example if you apply a 30 day code, you're game time would be good for 43 more days, but without restriction.

As Arga stated, you don't lose the time if you register, you get it added to your account, so you'd have 43 days.

I think the OP should understand though, that even with the insanely restrictive trial limitations lifted, you're still an infant in a playpen who can't get out for quite a while. 

Even after more than 2 months in game my main is still significantly gimped by lack of EP.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

SparksMcKool wrote:

If game Developers feel they need to so heavily restrict game content at such an early stage, basicly from the outset in a trial, and the content that is being restricted are major game elements, then it would lead me in my opinion to believe that the game itself lacks any real depth of content. I would expect that a game like this to have more content than say old DOS games like Elite.

Sure I understand that developers need to put money in their pockets but a game needs to showcase what you can do, what it offers, give you a taste of the forbidden fruit so you want more not to uninstall.

I want to say to friends catch you online later we're gonna harvest a ton of ore and need haulers and some muscle to cover us. I don't want to say to my friends tried the trial of Perpetuum what a bummer, come over and we'll drink beer and play Mechwarrior on the big screen. :Dlol

What really sucks for you, is that prior to the open trial and the facebook promotions the trial accounts were totally unrestricted because the codes were either directly requested from devs on the forums or came from already registered players who get a trial code with a registered account.

If you had gotten one of those codes you'd have been unrestricted from day 1.

I personally just bought an account outright ($24/3 mos) because there was no box price, i like supporting indie devs, and the monthly fees are lower than most and never was in a trial, but I used the code I got to register a 2nd account, and then the code from that one to register a 3rd, and was never restricted at all.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Arga wrote:
Legedric Warstrike wrote:

Looking at the transactions logs to determine if the account is earning NIC 24 hours a day is exactly what I mean by 'chasing' the account down.

Its incredibly easy to macro the creation of a new email account and a new trial account. These people are already out there doing this to other games, its really no trouble for them to do this with Perpetuum, if they can get enough scale to make it worth it. There are already sites out there selling NIC, i'm not going to link them, just google it.

For every account they track down, another 10 will be created.

But worse than that, what if they accidentally ban a REAL player, that alone will do more to hurt this game then any restrictions ever would.

The other thing with trial accounts, is anyone can create one or two, and then post on the forums from multiple avatars to make a subject look like a bigger issue than it is. I may actually be SparksMcKool, you would never know...

The thing is, the log culling and other things could be partially automated, to say, flag an account after a certain threshold is reached so that a GM could investigate it and not have DEV involved unless there's a question of a ban.

I know they're unbelievably paranoid about gold farmers but I think they'd basically eliminate this problem if they went the way of Eve, allowed people to sell time codes linked to real in game items, and just went after the macros/bots/automated BS. 

Besides currently no gold farmer with any intelligence is going to target a game for farming with less than 200 people in game at any one time and with the actual market for farmed nic being practically none since anyone who wanted more just bought extra accounts to farm with themselves.

Population graphs