Re: Perpetuum's world is about to change...

It's not official when DEV Calvin says it big_smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's not official when DEV Calvin says it big_smile

Gimme a break, it was official at the time I said it. smile

I think we all would be satisfied by an official statement in form of a new blog post (even without giving a date for the patch) tongue

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Heck, the blog doesn't even have to be about the patch smile

Crepitus wrote:

personally, and i know there is no chance of it happening, i'd love to see a forum (even a restricted one) where we could see the dev's arguing with eachother about balance and what their focus should be etc.  i suspect these discussions are probably informal at a bar after hours though ;/

if two DEVs start to argue with each other about something, you wouldn't understand more then a few words out of context - Google translate doesn't work that well with Magyar wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

They seem to be doing okay in English so far this thread.

3 .. 2 .. 1 .. FIGHT!!

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Legedric Warstrike wrote:

I think we all would be satisfied by an official statement in form of a new blog post (even without giving a date for the patch) tongue

Just give the date on the patch, so that i can stop playing untill the patch comes out and get back and check it out tbh. im tired of waiting day after day to get an "real" Official statment about patch release. im sitting on hold and waiting.. Kills my intrest.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

... is this a subtle hint at what RG plans to do after the release?

Perpetuum pod cast fodder!

It means im bored and want to do something im still waiting for new Stuf to do more islands to roam, alliances to break apart, new funktions to appear. atm the game dont have my intrest to continue playing it.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

boo. no mystery. sad

Yeah i am quite bored myself.. Just waiting for this patch or atleast a statement.

Former CEO of X-23

112 (edited by Legedric Warstrike 2011-04-28 20:14:17)

Although I am not playing Perpetuum as long as Arachnix does I am sahring his feelings...

The last "hope awakening" update was at march 28th being a blog post containing information that kept my hope for the future of Perpetuum alive.

After one month passed we can look back on 2 patches not worth mentioning (just my personal opinion) as there is still no assignment revamp, event notification, AoE damage, geoscan folders, spark teleport... and last but not least, no islands.

10 days ago we got a heads up from Calvin saying the date for the next patch will be around 27th of april... last week we got another heads up by Zoom saying there will be a new blog post early this week... Call me a liar but I say: Nothing happened!

So don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hard work the Devs are doing but all I want is some  information on a regular basis and if they are calling out dates they should be more relyable. It doesn't have to be a precise date but just a "we are currently working on [TASK X] and we are doing great so far, look at this screenshot" once a week or two would be great...
Whenever you have nailed down a date for the next update, post it together with the content included within this patch. This should get us a flow of information on a regular schedule we should all be able to live with.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

I'm all for morz info's!

I can understand some of the reasons to keep info sparse; one of which is setting up expectations. Mostly "Hey, we are working on this great thing" and people get focused on that instead of playing the game infront of them. On the flip side of that however is peeks at what are coming help spark interest and keep players looking toward the future.

Another of course is, it takes time and effort to communicate. Time is something indie devs have little of, as they usually are wearing many different hats. Again, however, a couple of paragraphs every two weeks shouldn't be too much of a burden smile

The community is still small enough that there shouldn't be too many cries of misery when something you blog about doesn't happen, and we'll troll them if they do smile

Note: I'm not talking about Lege's post, he's simply saying the same thing (not whining), that a little communication goes a long way.

114 (edited by Legedric Warstrike 2011-04-28 20:33:08)

Of course the medal is two-sided (dunno if this phrase exists in english wink) and I know that an indie dev's most limited good is time (although it may be money, too smile).

As I know some people working for an independent (browser-)game developer myself, I know what it means to have to keep the community's heads up during a long, thirsty path between major patches. They kind of "outsourced" the effort to post updates a bit as they just pass some basic information (as key notes) to a voluntary community manager and he writes a blog, facebook or forum post about it (with the dev#s rereading it ofc). This allows them to keep the community updated at least once every 2-4 weeks and limits the danger of wasting a dev's time to write text instead of source code smile

Although that does not mean it is 100% applicable to AC as I do not know their staff structures...

115 (edited by Siddy 2011-04-30 16:35:22)

*edit: Offensive. You're a little late to the party, the devblog was only posted after the last post here. - DEV Zoom

link for those who don't know yet