51 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-04-19 23:29:20)

Re: Perpetuum's world is about to change...

Campana wrote:

I think 4:1 ratio isn't bad. I probably have an even higher ratio than that, just because the lack of pvp available. If there is no pvp I do missions or do artifacts scans or play spin-the-robot in a terminal somewhere.

Gordon Gekko wrote:

If you spend three hours mining...thats: 4 101 840 NIC .. if you find someone who buys it.

Is this on alpha?

If you can make more than 1 million NIC per hour mining, what is the fuss about?

The fuss is, they used to be able to afk mine and now they can't...making dedicated miners more valuable isn't a bad thing....

Thats the explanation to: Why people left this game after the patch and why we need to rebalance a couple of things to get them back.

4:1 is acceptable for _some_ people (as we can see). But the many players/people think its just boring. And they are right...
Especially people who already love this game are willing to accept 4:1 but even those get bored because population drops...
Im not sure if this game needs 2:1 or 3:1 but something needs to change.

@Zoom sorry...

... Ok, I admit it now, I didn't get it.

This whole time your talking about mining for profit and I was talking about mining for production.

I've made the same arguement about NIC vs PVP already and that it isn't worth my time to farm NIC to buy bots just to get blown up.

However this doesn't change my stance on the abundance of ore. The issue is the same with any activity, as you said, farming ore, npc, or transport missions. Being able to set a miner to 'auto' and let it gather NIC while you do something fun doesn't fix the issue, it just makes it OK for people with miner alts.

Part of the fix is simple, don't sell all the ore, organize your corporation to start producing and only sell the excess.

Buying your way into PVP is expensive, I totally get that. But that is what corporations are supposed to do, spread the load, allow players to specialize and be more productive.

I would also say that if your corp is PVP oriented, then use your combat agents to start farming the energy goo. The return on this activity is directly converted to NIC without losses to profits as it is in the market. I also suggest you get 1 player with 10 in tax reduction and sell everything through that one person.

Someone has to put in the 'grind' somewhere so someone else can go PVP. Even if you changed mining back to AFK'able, someone else was out doing something to earn the NIC to buy that ore off the market. All AFK'able mining does is move the grind to another player.... probably some guy running transport missions for 8 hours.

guess what the guy does with all those 700U Imentium that you sold on the market.

its enough to build 30 mechs on alpha island, and for preorder-production-agents on beta islands with almost maxed standings thats probably enough imentium to build the 120 t1 gauss cannons for those 30 Kains from the same stack.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Now what im saying is that someone has to work four hours. Doesnt matter who does it but someone has todo it.

If you buy the ore on the market, well.. someone worked four hours for it. If you want to mine it yourself .. go mine four hours.

Even if you buy 700U on the market and build mechs. The guy that mined it wont have much fun with the NIC...

Gordon Gekko wrote:

Now what im saying is that someone has to work four hours. Doesnt matter who does it but someone has todo it.

If you buy the ore on the market, well.. someone worked four hours for it. If you want to mine it yourself .. go mine four hours.

Even if you buy 700U on the market and build mechs. The guy that mined it wont have much fun with the NIC...

If you didn't have to work for your MECHS (we're talking big bots here, not small bots that can be produced inexpensively, and serve to emphasize my point)... mechs that are pretty close to the current 'end game' they would mean nothing.. i know everyone wants to be in big shineys all the time, but if you're not willing to put in the work to be in that big shiney, you want to degrade the value of them and simplify this games already minimal content. What you're asking for is the ability to beat the game quicker... you're asking for something that you don't realize that you don't want.

yep, because he sold the 700U far under what it is worth.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

58 (edited by Gordon Gekko 2011-04-20 00:12:12)

Please take a look at my example .. thats just a intakt.
Even a ratio of 1:1 (e.g. you could mine that much in one hour) would mean that you actually have to work one hour to get your intakt back... smile

And you know how fast this little bots die .. wink

Edit: If he sells his ore for .. lets say 4 NIC per ore then indys will just adjust prices.
Polynitrocol would be more expensive and prices for ammo and a couple of other things would go up...

Gordon Gekko wrote:

We are getting closer now, because we now agree that someone has to work for 4 hours. But it takes 2 to trade, so really there are 2 people working, one to get the ore the other to afford to buy it.

Where we seems to still be apart, is the concept that it is OK for the miner to AFK and have fun on an alt, while the other person farms or runs transport missions that require them to be present for the activity.

There is plenty of ore, 700U is alot, so supply isn't a problem, its not being able to do something else while you mine.

Again I will agree that there is a problem with the market, that's no mystery. So depending on the market, at least at this point in the game, is also an issue. This is where the saying transport missions are the economy comes from, because it is market independant.

Another piece where I'll go ahead and agree with you, is if AFK mining returns, then we probably will see more miners since its 'like' free NIC. More to the point, we will see a lot of alts back on the field mining, and being a dedicated miner will again mean nothing.

Right now, as the game is, buying PVP doesn't work. It doesn't matter what your NIC source is.

I also agree with Camp, any activity that produces 1M NIC/hour is good. That's about what I make running transport missions, and I can't do anything else while I'm driving.

No activity in a game should allow you to earn gold, nic, points, or anything else while your AFK. This is the definition of gold farming.

Now, if you want to change the subject, and say that PVP is too expensive.

OK, I'll totally agree with that, which is why I don't PVP.

Making any activity 'auto-nic' generating is going to get my NO. I live on transport missions, check the travel thread, I'm all over that saying NO to anything about auto-driving.

Dev's just adjusted the NIC/hour for combat players. Super, it needed it, but they didn't make it so you could AFK farm NPC's.

If mining needs some more love, than increase yeilds some more through advanced extensions or speed up cycle times to increase NIC/hour. But more ore is going to be lower prices, but it could also result in lower module costs too, so it does what you wanted, which is get PVP for less.

Just say NO to AFK.... that's my new slogan.

More ore will lower ore prices yes, and prices of everything tbh.

Lets concentrate one this two points ..

Buff mined amount, make everything cheaper by 1/3

yields .. i would suggest * 1,5
make everything cheaper by 1/3 .. 1/3 less ore required to build something.

In my example it would be like that:

6 000 000 NIC earned (from the imentium you mined for three hours):

Intakt:
Marketprice for one (fitted): 3 259 130
Real production price (fitted): 1 926 444.96

Work/fun Ratio for one fitted intakt would be between 1:1/2:1 and prolly 3:1 for a newb .. tada! ..

Work 3 hours .. put one intakt into your storage, waste one pvping and sell one to some newb. That wont fix the server population but maybe the economy smile

Holy ***, where did my beloved thread go? sad

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

62 (edited by Kalsius Dakalsai 2011-04-20 10:31:32)

I think it gave up and left a couple of pages back big_smile

I ink 4:1 is okay, caveated with s need for a vibrant economy. Whilst the reality of 4:1 Right now is actually more like 6:1 because the Market is poor what we need is it to 'feel' like 3:1 or 2.5:1 because the things we all mine/kill can easily be sold at good prices and can be sold consistently.

NPC buy orders are daft, remove them so players are the only route for purchasing

Add higher level NIC sinks so the alliances and large corps NEED to buy stuff from the Market

DO NOT make mining afk'able again, it will kill the above measures

Add vanity NIC sinks to remove some of the NIC from the game without affecting the economy

As always I am probably wrong but hey let's all contribute mad

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

yesterday i calculated the time i would need to gather the ores for a single intakt (without equip)

it was 20minutes per Intakt. (let alone the espitium takes ~50% of the time)

now if i consider that that an assault or light bot doesn't contain espitium, i guess assault bot takes 10 Minutes, and light bot less then 5 Minutes.

------
Higher level NIC sinks could be volume based corp storage fees (50k for unlimited space is a bit low, don't you think?)

Annihilator wrote:

Higher level NIC sinks could be volume based corp storage fees (50k for unlimited space is a bit low, don't you think?)

Stop with that stupid volume based tax idea, seriously. Apart from the fact it's a completely stupid idea it has so many holes you could make a jpeg out of it and Siddy would enjoy it.

Kalsius Dakalsai wrote:

Add higher level NIC sinks so the alliances and large corps NEED to buy stuff from the Market

How does adding higher level NIC sinks encourage alliances to buy from the market, if anything it will reduce the amount they purchase in order to save NIC for those higher level sinks.

Styx wrote:
Kalsius Dakalsai wrote:

How does adding higher level NIC sinks encourage alliances to buy from the market, if anything it will reduce the amount they purchase in order to save NIC for those higher level sinks.

I think it's a great idea despite what Styx says. It will work to punish the unorganized blob and increase the whining about the DEV's catering to M2S's needs.

Thats just the bot. And you still need fittings...
But: How much ores per minute? What ores? How much time did you spend traveling? whats your refine ratio? Whats the quality of your CT? What Factory level? Decoder? etc etc etc ..

@Kalsius
Market alone cant fix that.
Even if the devs inject large amounts of NIC (inflate NIC), like the Insurance fraud did, the work:fun ratio remains and some people get rich while others quit the game.
What the NPC buy orders do/did is "inject NIC".
Right now the market cant fix itself (stagnates because of deflation as result of the insurance fraud fix) because of the work:fun ratio.
It got a bit better with plasma (another way to create NIC).
But bottom line: Prices are still ridicules and the time required to mine all the ores is out of balance.

Probably the easiest way to fix the economy is lower the ores required to refine commodities by 40%.
Inflating NIC more would only result in the economy we had when people did insurance fraud.

Tbh: Im tired of this topic, Im out.

68 (edited by Kalsius Dakalsai 2011-04-20 17:36:31)

GLiMPSE wrote:
Styx wrote:
Kalsius Dakalsai wrote:

I think it's a great idea despite what Styx says. It will work to punish the unorganized blob and increase the whining about the DEV's catering to M2S's needs.

Apologies for not being clear enough, in terms of NIC sink I consider anything which would require you to buy from the market for large scale building/needs to be a NIC sink. Consider that for beta dwellers or large alliances, mining low end isn't actually that profitable compared to what you can make on the islands. Hence, add big stuff the alliances will want (add big stuff ideas here) that require things like 500m Titan ore, 400m hdt etc etc. Beta islanders will sell back beta stuff to alpha to make the money to buy in the volumes they need to make Big Stuff. This further stimulates alpha economy and brings prices up for the care bears which can improve the PvE experience.

I also agree with GLiMPSE, the disorganised blob will not be as successful as the organised small or medium sized corps. This is beneficial for all.

Edit for Gordon.
I never suggested inflating NIC, the issue we all have right now is that there aren't enough outlets for NIC, especially for the large island corps. As long as they continue to be self sufficient, everyone suffers. Reducing build costs will only exacerbate that as in easing life for the smaller players, you serve to further increase the gap to the island holders and alliances. The control needs to be the other way around.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Styx wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Stop with that stupid volume based tax idea, seriously. Apart from the fact it's a completely stupid idea it has so many holes you could make a jpeg out of it and Siddy would enjoy it.

i wonder how you would put a hole into that, if its not only for corp storages....
placing your goods on countless alt-account private storages? good luck in distributing everything around the globe on 100eds of agents

GLiMPSE wrote:

Despite what I say? My statement is correct in regards to the post it was referring to. Should all things stay the same adding new NIC sinks wouldn't encourage people to buy from the market but the opposite. However if you added new low-level resource sinks for new features aimed at beta dwellers then yes, the market would be simulated providing the demand of the additional resources was great enough to not be outweighed by what the beta dwellers could already mine.

Annihilator wrote:
Styx wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

i wonder how you would put a hole into that, if its not only for corp storages....
placing your goods on countless alt-account private storages? good luck in distributing everything around the globe on 100eds of agents

Anni has very little assets and not much to his name thus wants to hurt anyone who is doing well in the game whose put in the effort in an attempt to bring more people down to his level. Yeah, great balancing there. Idiot.

I've suggested taxes and other things, and while those are OK for NIC sinks, what I would really like to see is something that motivates corps to have NIC -flow- through the market instead of just sinking it directly.

Big ticket resource items are good for creating flow, or higher cycling volumes of smaller items (like pvp losses in bots).

More important is if tax NIC sinks are implemented, it has to be a set of taxes. I'm not as sneaky as Styx is, but it only takes 1 work-around to avoid a single tax, where a suite of taxes (which have a lower base than a single tax) can cover it. Or a tax on a choke point like selling in the market.

If you tax stores in large volumes, generally corps will convert to NIC and operate more on a JIT production method. This will generate an initial rush of goods through the market, but it will dry up quickly. The net result is that more NIC will be removed from the economy by tax and NIC hording instead of having it flow through the economy.

If you only tax savings, then the opposite will occur.

Taxes are the stick, I would like to see a carrot instead. More NIC flowing through the economy is better all around, it feels more productive and encourages more market activity. I don't know what the % of the overall NIC volume is 'stalled' in wallets and the market, but I'm sure the devs know.

Maybe someone with an economics degree could let us know what a healthy amount of NIC traffic vs GNP is.

The game isn't a full simulation, maybe the economy, resources, and other configurable items are set for an expected population that just isn't in game; many hands make light work, but we don't have that many hands. What I'm suggesting, is that maybe the game needs something dynamic that can pickup some of the 'grinding load' for a smaller population, and can be backed off as we get more 'hands'.

73 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-20 19:45:04)

This isn't meant as an insult styx, but when you wake up in the morning do you have a cup of rage and just tear a new *** into people's arguments?

Kalsius Dakalsai wrote:

Why should every large corp NEED to buy something? How is that relevant to anything?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

typically anyone that starts with something -like- "With all due respect" means the opposite, not that your observation isn't true smile

Do they bottle rage now, because I would totally order a double tall Latte with a splash of rage and cinnamon... no whip though.