Re: Perpetuum's world is about to change...

Mara Kaid wrote:

This isn't meant as an insult styx, but when you wake up in the morning do you have a cup of rage and just tear a new *** into people's arguments?

It seems you don't understand the pre-tense to Anni's suggestion hence the misguided interpretation of my response, let me enlighten you. I highly suspect Anni has a personal vendetta against M2S, he bears quite a lot of animosity towards us at any rate. This leads to his disillusioned ideas aimed at inhibiting the game for M2S and those of a high level. Had Anni produced a well thought out idea that served a needed purpose in the game I'd quite happily pass his posts by however the idea isn't well though out in any sense of the word nor does it serve a needed purpose. When you think about it, the idea really is quite stupid in it's current state yet Anni continues to promote it.

They shouldn't be balancing around what 2% of the population is capable of doing. That's only fun for the 2% and frustrating for everyone else.

They should balance around what at LEAST 20% is capable of doing. That brings in more competition and better fights and markets.

By catering the game toward M2S they drive away everyone else.

So how's that 200 people server working for ya' eh devs?

If the devs were catering the game towards M2S they'd have implemented something for us to do recently.

/goes back to Portal 2

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Sounds familiar, but I was talking about research specifically.

I don't think M2S is having more fun than anyone else the way the game is setup. They are certainly more organized and progressed in the game, but I don't feel as if everything is balanced their way; certain aspects such as research are just more sensitive to highly organized game play.

Not to put words in their mouth, but having stronger enemies would acutally make the game funner for them. Having the whole server blob them continually would probably not be so much fun, as it wouldn't be for anyone, so there has to be some challenging aspects to the game in gaining power to make it interesting for both sides.

The dev challenge here is that anything you do to make the game easier, makes it that much easier for the organized corps too. Where you can make adjustments though, is when that organized group 'caps' something, then making that activity easier does not dilute the game for that corp as they have already accomplished it. I don't mean just handing out free kernels, 20% 'easier' still means a significant challenge for the majority of the server (the 80% that are still struggling).

I'm repeating myself from other posts, but having a system where only the Beta corps are strong enough to threaten each other results in a stagnent system. M2S is berrating 62'nd for joining with another beta alliance for intrusions, but the reality is that alpha based corps are at such a disadvantage that they can not directly threaten beta corps (they can and do some damage, but nothing that would actually threaten continued beta operations).

This thread is about the change. I want to see some. SOMEONE will always be the most powerful corp on the server, that's not the problem, but if there's no chance for the status quo to change, then that is when the fun dies (even for the 'top' dog).

Its not up to M2S to change what they are doing, the rest of the server needs to change, but we also are going to need some help from above...just little nudges though, if your looking for the soup kitchen, its over that way in WOW smile

GLiMPSE wrote:
Styx wrote:
Kalsius Dakalsai wrote:

Add higher level NIC sinks so the alliances and large corps NEED to buy stuff from the Market

How does adding higher level NIC sinks encourage alliances to buy from the market, if anything it will reduce the amount they purchase in order to save NIC for those higher level sinks.

I think it's a great idea despite what Styx says. It will work to punish the unorganized blob and increase the whining about the DEV's catering to M2S's needs.

We need M2S troll hunters.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

81 (edited by Smokeyii 2011-04-20 23:15:51)

Arga wrote:

... Ok, I admit it now, I didn't get it.

This whole time your talking about mining for profit and I was talking about mining for production.

I've made the same arguement about NIC vs PVP already and that it isn't worth my time to farm NIC to buy bots just to get blown up.

However this doesn't change my stance on the abundance of ore. The issue is the same with any activity, as you said, farming ore, npc, or transport missions. Being able to set a miner to 'auto' and let it gather NIC while you do something fun doesn't fix the issue, it just makes it OK for people with miner alts.

Part of the fix is simple, don't sell all the ore, organize your corporation to start producing and only sell the excess.

Buying your way into PVP is expensive, I totally get that. But that is what corporations are supposed to do, spread the load, allow players to specialize and be more productive.

I would also say that if your corp is PVP oriented, then use your combat agents to start farming the energy goo. The return on this activity is directly converted to NIC without losses to profits as it is in the market. I also suggest you get 1 player with 10 in tax reduction and sell everything through that one person.

Someone has to put in the 'grind' somewhere so someone else can go PVP. Even if you changed mining back to AFK'able, someone else was out doing something to earn the NIC to buy that ore off the market. All AFK'able mining does is move the grind to another player.... probably some guy running transport missions for 8 hours.

I stopped reading after this, but Agra, you misunderstand me. We don't sell any of the ore we mine, it's all put into production. I used nic as a form of value. We're doing just fine in my opinion every time I look in the corp hanger there's plenty of *** to get blown up in.

But yeah, I guess that's what I want back, in more simplified terms, I'd like to be able to AFK mine while I pvp/farm/artifact scan. Mining is not fun at all, and farming npcs isnt much fun either. What's the point in having the other account. Mining is all that account does. Was nice to pull my own weight in terms of providing something in return for what I get blown up in and still do something that was fun.

I'd still like to see the return of previous minerals. Adding noralgis to t4, in my opinion set it apart sufficiently from t3 to make it more of a loss -- and worth more -- as to give t3 more of an option to people in pvp. I was told part of the reason for the nerf and the addition of noralgis was because the devs didn't want everyone running around in t4  all the time, and having it be the de facto fitting almost to the point of exclusion of everything else for pvp.

But lets face it, anyone who does alot of pvp knows that at the barest minimum you need a t4 frame for roam situations. Even for your own island defense you really need them just to catch the enemy. Skill matters alot in this game, but there's still alot of importance for fittings. You'd have to be pretty damn good, and your opponent pretty damn bad if you're fitting all t1 and beating all t4 fit.

I don't much care to talk about intrusions as I don't really want any part of them until some other system is worked out. Seeing as in how this is probaly the best way to do them, or we make taking a station take much longer - like say, you have to fight over 1 sap every intrusion (but make owning a station YOURS, you can block people based on standings from entering). Then again if you did that you'd have to release some sort of alliance system, or require it to take a 24 hours or so before the owner of a station can block a corp/people from the outpost so you don't have some *** holding people's things hostage.

Arga wrote:

M2S is berrating 62'nd for joining with another beta alliance for intrusions, but the reality is that alpha based corps are at such a disadvantage that they can not directly threaten beta corps (they can and do some damage, but nothing that would actually threaten continued beta operations).

We're not berating 62'nd or any other Alpha corporations for being with a beta alliance. What we are doing is berating the ones who proclaim to be neutral entities not affiliated with the beta alliances but then go and do exactly the opposite, the whole duration claiming they aren't. As I've said before I could care less what people do in this game, just don't try and convince people you're doing A and not B then go and go B whilst still proclaiming not to be.

I was going to go back and delete that part, I accidentally slipped some politics into an otherwise neutral post about balancing - not motivation, but I got busy at work and hit the send and forgot about it.

Are you sure there aren't atleast 3 r's in berrrate.. smile   *I also didn't get to spell check before hitting send*

We have our own agenda, and we don't owe anyone, especially m2s or any related corp an explanation. Those priorities don't conflict with what I've stated beforehand. People can go to beta and farm without being a "part" of a major alliance. Twist it your own way so you can sleep, but this is a fact and is being proven right now.

Mara Kaid wrote:

We have our own agenda, and we don't owe anyone, especially m2s or any related corp an explanation. Those priorities don't conflict with what I've stated beforehand. People can go to beta and farm without being a "part" of a major alliance. Twist it your own way so you can sleep, but this is a fact and is being proven right now.

So norhoop is NRDS(not red don't shoot) now?!? Or do they just not shoot 62nd or rg? Please explain... Because seemingly obvious damage control is obvious..

NRDS can also stand for 'nut-holding *** doing stupid-shit'....#biwinning

I kid, I kid... I made the standings pretty obvious in my OFFICIAL alliances post.... This should be discussed there if it is misstating the current alliances....

Mara Kaid wrote:

On a side note, in the past you showed so much promise as a worthy troll apprentice...these days... After this 62nd debacle... I am disappoint...

Arga wrote:

*SNIP*

More important is if tax NIC sinks are implemented, it has to be a set of taxes. I'm not as sneaky as Styx is, but it only takes 1 work-around to avoid a single tax, where a suite of taxes (which have a lower base than a single tax) can cover it. Or a tax on a choke point like selling in the market.

If you tax stores in large volumes, generally corps will convert to NIC and operate more on a JIT production method. This will generate an initial rush of goods through the market, but it will dry up quickly. The net result is that more NIC will be removed from the economy by tax and NIC hording instead of having it flow through the economy.

If you only tax savings, then the opposite will occur.

Taxes are the stick, I would like to see a carrot instead. More NIC flowing through the economy is better all around, it feels more productive and encourages more market activity. I don't know what the % of the overall NIC volume is 'stalled' in wallets and the market, but I'm sure the devs know.

Maybe someone with an economics degree could let us know what a healthy amount of NIC traffic vs GNP is.

*SNIP*

I don't think the volume based thing will work at all.  Rather than having no stores so they're forced to the market, big corps will just break up in to smaller ones to avoid the tax and keep their stuff (assuming it would be significant enough for them to care to start with).

As for having an economist, obviously the game is too small to actually pay someone.  However, they might be able to corral some grad students or something who would be interested in analyzing the data for free for say a thesis or something.

I know that WoW, for example, has had a number of academic papers based on the economy and other things in the game to the point where they now charge for access to that data. 

It might be a boon to some researchers to be able to have access to the financial stuff just for their own research and in return could provide helpful suggestions for improving it and I don't think it would hurt to ask at all.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Even if you had a economist posting in this thread you would just start to argue with him. big_smile ridiculous!

Crepitus wrote:

SNIP *

Great idea, I do some work with research organisations including universities and they are always keen to look for new research opportunities. stEVE ended up with dedicated people and has an established economy, Perp is still young, can still suffer big swings and that could be very interesting to researchers wanting to do a longer piece of work.

And they can't take the heat, I'm sure GLiMPSE and others would step up to be part of the interviewing panel. If they make it out without crying, they might just be the right candidate tongue

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Glimpse is quite a nice guy, definitely not some monster-troll he's portrayed as.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I can confirm Glimpse is as much of a ***** on TS as he is on the forums.

I also support enslaving economy graduates to our cause.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

92 (edited by Arga 2011-04-21 18:37:32)

Gordon Gekko wrote:

Even if you had a economist posting in this thread you would just start to argue with him. big_smile ridiculous!

You say argue, I say generate a beneficial discussion to explore the details of issues from all angles. So, I almost certainly would! smile

You don't have to be an expert to be part of the discussion, you just have to know enough to ask the right questions; and to know if the answers your getting are BS. There is nothing wrong with questioning and exploring the thought streams people take to get to a conclusion.

I'll even admit I'm wrong. If it ever happens. wink

I like how people think the new islands will change anything.
Currently there is a peak of 300 users once a week.
That's 300 people over 6 islands. Of these 300 people it is a safe bet to assume a large majority (Around 90%) are all within 2km's of a safe location or are on alpha islands.

6 new islands will not bring enough people back to the game because it won't change anything. The new islands bring nothing. The new islands were needed 2 months ago. Territory control is needed now and if that takes 2 months to arrive it'll be too late.

6 new islands will bring a few people back but they won't replace the amount leaving the game. The new player experience is turning too many people away. Blobbing is putting exciting players off from playing and while a lot of people might have purchased a lonh turn subscription that doesn't mean they are playing. This game has no end game.

Don't get excited about new islands.

I AM NOT A GM™

Syndic wrote:

Glimpse is quite a nice guy, definitely not some monster-troll he's portrayed as.

Here...here... I will begin my Presidential campaign here soon and image is everything.

It's time for reform... it's time for change... YES, we can...

This post has been paid for by supporters of a Newer, Nicer, Cleaner, GLiMPSE™

Alexandra wrote:

That's 300 people over 6 islands. Of these 300 people it is a safe bet to assume a large majority (Around 90%) are all within 2km's of a safe location or are on alpha islands.

6 new islands will not bring enough people back to the game because it won't change anything. The new islands bring nothing. The new islands were needed 2 months ago. Territory control is needed now and if that takes 2 months to arrive it'll be too late.

6 new islands will bring a few people back but they won't replace the amount leaving the game. The new player experience is turning too many people away. Blobbing is putting exciting players off from playing and while a lot of people might have purchased a lonh turn subscription that doesn't mean they are playing. This game has no end game.

Deep breathe there Nostradamis... the Mayan calendar hasn't reached 2012 yet... Perpetuum still has lots of living to do.

GLiMPSE/Jelan '12

It's an unbeatable ticket.

97 (edited by Arga 2011-04-22 17:41:38)

Alexandra wrote:

Territory control/end game vs. 90% on or around safe points.

That leaves only 10% of the population waiting for End game and/or Territory control. Dev time is better spent improving the game for the remaining 90% to get more of them prepared for end game. By prepared I mean game experience in combat and resource management (human and mineral) and provide additional activities so players avoid burn-out; that's corps managing resources and not putting the same person on gate duty every night until they just stop logging in.

Maybe 2 or 3 corps (not alliances) are ready for territorial control and there is only 1 corp that is standing alone in end-game. M2S is just really effcient at playing the game, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the sever is ready to move to the next stage of game play.

I'm not recruiting anyone because I feel the player base is already too spread out already. The merging of corps is a good thing at this point in the game. Controlling a territory with 30 active players (not agents) seems like a small number and certainly not end game. More likely is corps and alliances will 'try' to do it and fail, resulting in another exodus of disappointed and burned out sparks.

What I hope to see are corps merging together to populate the new Islands, relying less on alliances for Island support and more as inter-Island alliances vs. the current intra-Island support. Once that happens and the regions are fairly stable, then the server will be ready for more end-game content.

EDIT: You need a more mixed ticket smile Preferrably mortal enemies to prevent the government from actually accomplishing anything!!

personally, and i know there is no chance of it happening, i'd love to see a forum (even a restricted one) where we could see the dev's arguing with eachother about balance and what their focus should be etc.  i suspect these discussions are probably informal at a bar after hours though ;/

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

[17:30:56] <DEV Calvin> the date is 27th April

thewebsiteisdown

big_smile big_smile big_smile

TRANTOR wrote:

[17:30:56] <DEV Calvin> the date is 27th April

thewebsiteisdown

???

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't