1 (edited by Purgatory 2011-04-25 20:31:54)

Topic: Feature request - Player implants.

I'd like to sugget the addition of player implants to Perpetuum. They would work much the same way they do in that spaceship game. Crappy ones wouldn't be too pricey, but the best should be expensive.

I want to see the best bonuses being ones such as 3-5% missile launcher cycle time decrease, 5 or 3-5% more cpu on any bot you're in, 3-5% enhanced targeting range, 3-5% enhanced optimal weapon range, that sort of thing.

The implants would need to be built in a factory, the main module required to build an implant would be found using the artifacts system, and possibly be gained from doing high level missions, maybe even dropped sometimes from observers.

The second component used to build them would be purchased from the market for nic (nic sink).

Also i'm not sure on this one, but maybe the implants could be tied to a specific bot, so you can use other bots without risking your implants if you're going into a big pvp fight.

Re: Feature request - Player implants.

I've nothing against an implants system as long as it doesn't effect your EP in any way shape or form.

3 (edited by Alexadar 2011-04-25 20:41:55)

Your idea, after implementation, will create duplication of existing functions.
Imagine that your bot without implants is simply gropho. Then you can accept that your bot with implants is Gropho mk2: it comes with additional slots, where you can place modules AKA bonuses from implanting. Thats why we allready have "implants like" mechanics here: just work a bit to get mk2 bot.
Edit:
If mk2 dies, all "implants" dying too.

Don't nexus modules work like implants, but with the additional functionality of being AOE?

The need for more fittings will die down once larger end game robots are released. Most players have hit their limits on what can be achieved and it's now down to who can get every last Reactor and CPU point.

Owning the robots is no longer the game changing difference it used to be.

To the players suggesting current modules may act like implants: the fact is they arn't implants, and a new system called "implants" could be introduced, this adds extra customisation and personalisation to the current game and imo is badly needed. Most bots already have so few equipment slots as it is.

New things have to somehow merge in with the lore.

"You" are nothing more than an energy signiture beemed through a tiny black hole.

There is nowhere to Implant anything. The concept of additional programming added to your spark makes sense for extensions, as well as the fact that it takes time for your spark to grow in power (ep/sec) to accept the new higher programs.

Implants work in Eve, as well as the concept of a pod, because you have a physical body to upgrade. Physical upgrades to bots are modules.

A new system of 'implants' doesn't fit the lore. Something that has to do with quantum dynamics, electronic engineering, or computer programming would be a better name for a new system.

When talking about names for the implant system etc. I always think of Perpetuum on the side of Cyber-punk sci-fi.

We are real people in orbit around earth or working out of dark undergound labs with our heads plugged/jacked into computer terminals.

The term "Wet Gear" comes to mind (Biological hardware). You can upgrade your "Wet Gear" that is used to interface with your terminal; which transends to your spark.

I agree with Styx. I have no porblem with a system like this as long as it doesn't increase EP accural.

But upgrades that increases your mined amount, accu recharge, module cycle time decrease etc. I think it would be best for each one to have a positive and a negitive affect.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

9 (edited by Malakian 2011-04-26 06:37:01)

When playing eve I always liked more drugs over implants, the way that drugs work at least. We have flowers out there; create a couple of modules to harvest'em, extensions to refine the flowers and create the stuff and design drugs with 3-5 levels of "intensity" and their drawbacks, even we could use extensions to avoid/minimize drawbacks too.

The good thing about drugs vs. implants is drugs should be cheaper than implants, so should be easy for any kind of player to harvest/produce/consume them. And drugs are expendables, so we should have a more active market around drugs, than the possible market around implants.

And talking about Gremrod's wet gear, I think that is possible to think that the drugs can affect your "neurotransmissions thingies" far away on Earth. So is not far from an accurate background.

I hate stationhuggers and arkhebears.
M2S - Considerably more braincells than Trantor.

Spam

druhs and implants - Neocron FTW!

Have a productive day, Runner

Haldronic injector system ...

The power wave nature of the nian plant life creates an electronic pattern when injected that results in a slight scrambling of robot electronics, the results are similar to the administration of drugs to biological creatrures, causing some systems to be enhanced while temporarily deteriorating other systems.

Arga wrote:

The power wave nature of the nian plant life creates an electronic pattern when injected that results in a slight scrambling of robot electronics, the results are similar to the administration of drugs to biological creatrures, causing some systems to be enhanced while temporarily deteriorating other systems.

I'm in love with your full of flavour rich lore text.

I hate stationhuggers and arkhebears.
M2S - Considerably more braincells than Trantor.

Spam

Arga wrote:

New things have to somehow merge in with the lore.

"You" are nothing more than an energy signiture beemed through a tiny black hole.

There is nowhere to Implant anything. The concept of additional programming added to your spark makes sense for extensions, as well as the fact that it takes time for your spark to grow in power (ep/sec) to accept the new higher programs.

Implants work in Eve, as well as the concept of a pod, because you have a physical body to upgrade. Physical upgrades to bots are modules.

A new system of 'implants' doesn't fit the lore. Something that has to do with quantum dynamics, electronic engineering, or computer programming would be a better name for a new system.

How would we get this wet gear to our bodies? Obviously the current in game crafting would make no sense, seeing how nothing but energy signatures can be sent through the wormhole. It seems like there would need to be another form of currency we can use on earth to purchase these upgrades and another system to acquire this currency.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

actually, we can send both, energy and matter through the wormhole.

at the beginning of the invasion, earth has sent nano-drones (the sparks) because the wormhole is to small for anything bigger.
now, that we are actually using their TELEPORTER grid and building all those stuff that transforms matter into energy and back - theres no reason we cant send bigger stuff through.

i would say the matter-energy transfor just doesn't work with biological lifeforms smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Malakian wrote:
Arga wrote:

I'm in love with your full of flavour rich lore text.

and its 98% sugar free .... *May contain less than 1% lethal alien toxin for flavor and preservation

Annihilator wrote:

actually, we can send both, energy and matter through the wormhole.

at the beginning of the invasion, earth has sent nano-drones (the sparks) because the wormhole is to small for anything bigger.
now, that we are actually using their TELEPORTER grid and building all those stuff that transforms matter into energy and back - theres no reason we cant send bigger stuff through.

i would say the matter-energy transfor just doesn't work with biological lifeforms smile

That's a good point I didn't think of that.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin