Topic: Lag N/A problems

Just what is Lag N/A ?

How do I "fix" it ?

Why does it ALWAYS happen when inter-island teleporting after 5-6pm game time ?

No my ISP does not throttle my ADSL24 connection at this time, or anytime.

No, a re-log does not help. even 5 relogs ... I have, in the past, logged off for a few hours and still have Lag N/A roll sad

If I can manage to get to an outpost and dock up, this can take 20mins or so, all is fine when I undock until I use an inter-island teleporter again. sad

Happens to both accounts. mad

Re: Lag N/A problems

I'm getting this more often. Sometimes one client will be effected whilst another client in exactly the same position in-game won't be.

I get this problem a lot too. When it strikes, it makes the game virtually unplayable.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

So, the Devs are baffled then. roll

Nice game, shame I can't play in the evenings. sad

5 (edited by Snijder 2011-04-13 21:29:23)

On wed. 13 april 2011 at 18:30 (or so), i was playing with my kain when suddenly the connection goes bad (NA). although I still got the chat and even normal internet. Of course my bot got killed and i immediatly appealed to the GM that was online at that moment. However he couldn't help me because the logs he was checking didn't stated that the lag was the fault of the server.
Not sure who's fault it was because I got still the chat end internet connection, but the GM was just following rules. however I still got no Kain anymore and that frustated me alot, I asked the gm where to complain and "tadaa" here i'm.
My question or remark is, why does it matter what kind of lag it is, its ruin my play/fun, because i lost a lot of day's collecting money and stuff.

I feel for you, hope some one can give some insight to this Lag N/A sad

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -problems/

ps. not trying to hijack your thread, just letting you know you ain't alone. neutral

Styx wrote:

I'm getting this more often. Sometimes one client will be effected whilst another client in exactly the same position in-game won't be.

I've been wondering about this. Two clients and one will get worse lag than the other.
Now either this game uses a LOT of bandwidth and there just isn't enough to run two clients (Highly unlikely) or the server does not like opening and maintaining multiple connections to the same address/host. I've notice it when running on different computers but no where near as badly.

It's been happening for a while and every time I've looked into it I get the feeling it's not my network or the route to the server that is at fault. I don't seem to suffer as much N/A spikes when only running one client on one connection

So:
2 Clients, 1 Computer = Random N/A lag on one client.

The Game

Most week nights with 2 clients I don't notice any lag, but there are generally less than 200 total players online during my play time and rarely more than 4 or 5 agents around me.

Snijder wrote:

On wed. 13 april 2011 at 18:30 (or so), i was playing with my kain when suddenly the connection goes bad (NA). although I still got the chat and even normal internet. Of course my bot got killed and i immediatly appealed to the GM that was online at that moment. However he couldn't help me because the logs he was checking didn't stated that the lag was the fault of the server.
Not sure who's fault it was because I got still the chat end internet connection, but the GM was just following rules. however I still got no Kain anymore and that frustated me alot, I asked the gm where to complain and "tadaa" here i'm.
My question or remark is, why does it matter what kind of lag it is, its ruin my play/fun, because i lost a lot of day's collecting money and stuff.

the chat and the gameworld are two seperated connections.
while the chat-connection almost never has any problems, the secondary connection can have.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Thank you for the explanation why the chat continuo and the game stops.
However the GM’s or DEV’s can help me out here to reset the bot back in the stations
but they aren’t doing that. So in fact they are ruining my play/fun time, and that what bothering me more. Yes lag is not funny especially when you are in a big group, even less funny is that your bot got killed due a small bot who you can easily evade/kill if you weren’t lagging.
I hope a GM or DEV can explain me that.

Styx wrote:

^

This is exactly what happens to me most of the time.  Other times one or both will get disconnected at random as well.

Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.  I know quickly if it's on my end; 90% of the time it's not.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Snijder wrote:

I don't think they see 'lag', just disconnects.  I've lost millions because of getting disconnected on Beta and then getting rolled while I'm still logging in; they won't do anything about that if you die to a player regardless.

This is common in intrusions especially because there are so many people around and as soon as someone doesn't move when the bot-tide rolls in and out they're focus fired since people know they're d/c'd and it's an easy kill.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Try the following:

1. Open the console (the `/~ key by default, you can reassign it)
2. Enter openprofiler
3. Watch the network tab, there are two blinking lights in the top left. Red one means incoming traffic, green one means outgoing one.

Please report the status of these, and the text ("ACTIVE / GQI...") next to it.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Not detected for players from eastern europe. We dont have any problems even running 2+clients from one machine. So i suppose its problems with some west dataroutes.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Try the following:

2. Enter openprofiler
3. Watch the network tab, there are two blinking lights in the top left. Red one means incoming traffic, green one means outgoing one.

Maybe i'm a N00b but i dont get it.
And it doesnt answer my question or remark. I still want to know why a GM/DEV can just replace a bot which has been killed due lag, due bad connection from whatever side.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Try the following:

2. Enter openprofiler

wow ... the seismic activity denotes an earthquake of magnitude 8.3 lol

yes, the red & green lights flash like hell

I haven't a clue what you want me to do? neutral

I found it as well (forgot to click on the text bar, yes i'm a n00b),
and like Mr. Chips what now?

18 (edited by Alexander 2011-04-14 19:35:05)

What Gargaj is saying is that when you get N/A lag he wants you to watch the lights to see if they behave normally.

The graph won't change with N/A lag but the lights will still flash. Now what I'd expect to see if the green light flashing but no red light activity.

The Game

19 (edited by Mr Chips 2011-04-14 19:38:46)

ah, now then roll

the red light goes off, green continues to blink very slowly, lag n/a is displayed (as usual), the graph freezes, the red will sometimes flash, the active / GQI stay at 0 ... and that is the end of my evening

I can reproduce this any evening you would like to monitor after 5/6pm gametime

TTFN sad

Mr Chips wrote:

the red light goes off, green continues to blink very slowly, lag n/a is displayed (as usual), the graph freezes, the red will sometimes flash, the active / GQI stay at 0 ... and that is the end of my evening

Mmmm. If the red light flashes SOMETIMES that means there's still some incoming traffic. This can mean two things:
1. The server is buggy and for some reason forgets to send any more of the important data.
2. The incoming network connection is lagged as hell and packets end up being delivered by paraplegic turtles on downers.

Were you using one client or two?

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

21 (edited by Alexander 2011-04-15 13:57:13)

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Mmmm. If the red light flashes SOMETIMES that means there's still some incoming traffic. This can mean two things:
1. The server is buggy and for some reason forgets to send any more of the important data.
2. The incoming network connection is lagged as hell and packets end up being delivered by paraplegic turtles on downers.

I think it's the former rather than the latter. However the N/A won't effect everyone that runs two clients but it will increase their lag a little. Perhaps this small increase in lag can sometimes cause the server to think they've D/C'ed?

Now I really hope it's the latter because I can just imagine the internet is full of tiny turtles. Robot turtles.

The Game

Only using one account, got only one.
Using the internet connection only for playing and no-one else can use my network.
I'm using UMTS connection.

yesterday, for the first time after release, i had a sudden disconnect. I got the information that a whole bunch (~30) others also dropped at the same time.

it may be a conicident - but my Firefox had a hang-up at the very same time. From my small perspective it looked like my Firefox somehow killed my perpetuum-connection - hopefully it was not, as so many othere have been dropped too.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I have Chrome open and can run youtube or gambreaker in the background (music/webcasts) with 2 clients in the evenings from USA CA with no lag issues. On weekends, without anything running, I get lag in the mornings but its usually ok by 8pm pst.

By lag I mean 300 pings and both clients 'hiccup' and I have to press auto run and follow again.

Disconnects are just the one client, at teleports and outposts, and can happen in the evenings or weekends.

25 (edited by Mr Chips 2011-04-15 19:09:23)

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Mr Chips wrote:

Were you using one client or two?

one client ... red light flashes "sometimes" read once or twice in 20mins

I can do anything I like on the internet including watching youtube, the "game" just doesn't respond and I may as well not bother playing ... which is what I'm about to do as I have lag N/A, I can replicate this every evening .... oh, we just crashed for the 4th time today. sad