Topic: Three more traveling ideas.

While it’s impossible to touch traveling time without upsetting the balance of the universe, I suggest herein three ideas to facilitate the attention requiring yet un-stimulating process of walking around Nia.

1 Waypoints “on the fly”.
When you select a tile and press (by default) the “t” key on your keyboard, your robot conveniently travels to the location selected.
Now how about adding the possibility to select a second tile pressing for example “u” and have the robot first go to “t” then to “u”.

With the possibility to set a couple of waypoints on the fly, one would be able to cross a comfortable distance without having to focus all his attention on driving. Said freed attention span could, for example; be more constructively spent on helping that rookie in help channel looking for the deploy button.

2 Taxi bots.
How about having nimble friendly npcs, let’s call them taxi bots. These bots would all day and all night walk from one predetermined point to another and back again. One could simply click on them on and punch “approach” and let himself be guided to the taxi bots destination.

These bots need not be fast nor use safe routes. It’s a question of sacrificing speed and safety for comfort. Said taxi bots could go from stations to outposts, from one station to another etc…

3 All terrain module.
Keeping with the philosophy of getting around, not necessarily fast, but easily; how would the impact of an “all terrain” module affect the game? Image a device, which increases the gradient capacity of your robot; perhaps even allows it to go through any type of plant.

For balancing purposes such module could have to significantly increase your robot weight. So as not to make it a compulsory module for roaming operations, hit and run or combat blobs; the module should incur penalties to parameters such as: targeting range or speed, signal masking, ECM resistance, demobilizer resistance etc…

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Re: Three more traveling ideas.

You really hate running around don't you big_smile

I would like like to see bot pooling, like car pooling.

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

The taxi bot is a stellar idea! The sound of laughter fills the office.

+1 for the 3rd idea, was thinking of something similar.

I would like to pick up the Taxi Bot idea. Since alpha islands are safe, why not have transport air vehicles there for a price?

That way you could do NPC kill missions faster though and thus have more action but would not gain more NIC from Bounty and not that much more from loot drops (if fee is higher than time saved)

I could even imagine having player owned air vehicles that can transport bots or even fight. Docking/Undocking on these air vehicles could take some time while you aren't able to use your bot, thus preventing abuse (disturb mining ops on beta or ganking players too easy) and allowing usage for inter island travel as well. Of course for higher fees. In case of player owned air vehicles even by getting destroyed :-)

DEV Calvin wrote:

The sound of laughter fills the office.

Ooh ooh, I know this one!

"What is, 'response you don't want to hear to your new feature idea?'"

Ral wrote:
DEV Calvin wrote:

The sound of laughter fills the office.

Ooh ooh, I know this one!

"What is, 'response you don't want to hear to your new feature idea?'"

We sincerely thought it was a very creative idea and the implementation seems simple enough as well.

Great! We can drink and drive, then phone a taxi when the monitor starts going blurry. Awesome, next patch eh?

I don't think NPCs should be taxi bots. It should be players providing a taxi service. It's more sandboxy that way. Not sure how you would work this though.

Another problem is that the auto-follow doesn't work well if you are really afk.

First, different bots have different passable terrains, so the following bot can get stuck on plants or surprise bumps. Even if they have the same terrain, a careless pilot can lead his followers straight into a bush by curving round it too closely. Styx is terrible to follow for this reason.

Second, if there is any packet loss between the server and the client (a common occurrence for a lot of people) the following bot will stop and won't follow until approach is pressed again.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

The basic idea of having NPC's traveling between outposts is something that makes sense from a story and assignment view, they are doing transport missions, but need more help.

They may not make great taxi's, for the reasons stated by Camp, but it would still be an interesting and valid addition. It 'could' also be useful at times, but not something that should be depended upon.

I think adding them wouldn't hurt. Player taxies are a great idea, if we just had some ingame way to support this ... like player contracts smile

+1 for player taxis if I can get people to follow me to beta islands.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin