Re: The One Ultimate Solution To All PO's Problems

In the dev blog, they mentioned that making the islands was 'easy' with the software they are using, but that editing it for passable terrain, adding mobs, resources, and structures is what was taking time.

I wonder if they could just give us a couple of 'raw' islands and let us go for it and terra form it ourselves...

Ral wrote:

stuff

Well, thank you captain obvious. roll

Also, how exactly can they afford ads, while having such a small playerbase (read: small revenue) ?

Jita wrote:

There will be three new betas soon and there's only two credible entities to take them. It's possible one of the existing alliances might either move or attempt to take another but hokk is already largely a ghost town and neither of the other two needs the space. Provided you don't care about intrusions a small Corp would be fine.

Actually this is extremely interesting topic now that I have thinked about it for a while. (Although it is somewhat offtopic of the opening post's topic)

There is a difference in claiming the outposts and actually living out of an outpost.

I can't really see any of the current three powerblocks moving as whole to the new islands because it would be a complete logistic nightmare to do so.

But, I can at this point only wonder what will happen with the ownership of the outposts as in will the three current powerblock claim ownership of the outposts via the intrusions or not?

I think how useful the outposts are when the new islands are released will play a huge role in this and the new upcoming energy credit system may change this, alot.

If the energy current system will play out so that the outposts will generate alot of this new energy current and the energy current will become extremely important in staying competive in the game I can foresee that the three old powerblock will be very interested in claiming the new outposts regardless of if they are actually going to live off the outposts or not.

It will indeed be very interesting to see as to how this upcoming patch will be played out in the end...

Myles Norvid wrote:
Ral wrote:

stuff

Well, thank you captain obvious. roll

Also, how exactly can they afford ads, while having such a small playerbase (read: small revenue) ?

Ral wrote:

AC is an independent company, without a publisher, and I'm sure money is tight.  I suspect most of the development and initial bills were footed by private investors, so spending lots of cash on advertising may look difficult right now.
My argument is that all of the game's problems, including any financial ones that may exist, stem from low player counts, and an investment in advertising (even if it is leveraged), would pay itself off in new player subscriptions.

Leverage means debt.  Meaning they didn't make this huge game and pay all the people involved with promises or hopes and dreams, they had someone come along and say heres 20 million Euros, I expect the game to be profitable so I can get 100 million Euros back.

That's where the advertising funding comes from, because I argue that it is just as important as paying the Devs and keeping the servers running.

Player Base is small ? I agree
Advertising to get more People into the game ? NOP it wont work!

With the launch of Perpetuum there was a huge attention phase where thousands of People checked it out. They DID NOT stay, so what make the TE think it will be different if a second huge wave of new Player enters Perpetuum in its current state ?

Best Devs can do is vieving PE as payed Beta status and imho they should focus on carebear stuff. The wolves can not survive if there arn't enough sheeps. The carebears are the most important rig in the food chain and they will create the player market in order to get their blingbling +5 Mecs.

Advert for Perpetuum in its current state is futile. Create a safe and lucrative enviroment for the carebear BASE, make it fun to stay here without going to beta ever,  and leave the beta islands for the epeen Gamers.

We need all kind of players or the sandbox can not work.

http://www.mmorpg.com/

I see Perpetuum ads!

http://i53.tinypic.com/1z2pu1u.png

GREAT!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't