1 (edited by Ral 2011-03-20 23:37:16)

Topic: The One Ultimate Solution To All PO's Problems

My title sounds extreme but it really isn't.  I'm about to tell you the single biggest cause of all PO's problems, and then, how to solve it.

All the significant problems with this game stem from one cause: lack of player base.  With 300 people playing at a given time, there aren't enough players for a sandbox to work.  With more players, there will be more mining, more production, and a lot more bots sploding.  This is good for everyone.

How do we get there?  Start running ads on Syfy, Spike, and Comedy Central (during stuff like Tosh.0).  It can be the official game trailer or something new.  You can say it doesn't work, but it does.  In fact, I suspect most of the people that are leaving Perpetuum are going to a game that is doing just this

I can't tell you how many times I have seen an ad on TV, thought WOW THAT GAME LOOKS AWESOME, and immediately gone to its site to check it out.  I will usually stop fast forwarding through commercials on my DVR if I see a game ad.

If I go to the site and see a game has a free trial, I'm already downloading.  Sure, TV ads are expensive, but I think for Perpetuum this is the catalyst that will really get things moving.

I mean this less as a suggested course of action, since I'm sure everyone at AC is aware of the option.  I say it more to remind people that all of the changes we are clamoring for (myself included) are probably not necessary, as player count is really the only problem.

TL;DR
Advertise Perpetuum on TV, stop complaining

Edit:
Added last paragraph

Re: The One Ultimate Solution To All PO's Problems

motherofgod.jpg

while they are doing that they could give out golden unicorns too!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Right?!

Good idea -- will you be able to head up the network relations for the european dev's? It's easier to get commercials aired when you work for a large company with lots of connections and have the know how and experience to get things produced and on television.

It's not as simple as you are making it out to be.

I guess I should have added that I mean this less as a suggested course of action, as I'm sure everyone at AC is aware of this option.  I meant it moreso for people to keep in mind as they are complaining about everything.  The game will work really well as it is now once there are more players, and all of the changes we are clamoring for (myself included) probably aren't really needed once players start coming.

I can get an advert on babecast tv if that's our target audience?

7 (edited by Gremrod 2011-03-21 02:40:46)

Or... You can get on board with the "Spread the Word!" campaign.

http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/i … oster1.png

http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/i … oster2.jpg

Print one and see if you local comic shop or game store will put it up.

smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I do not have any figures on subscriber numbers, retention rates, company finances and such but I am concerned if it would be wise to spend (already limited?) resources on advertisement when the game suffers fundamental issues(new player experience, overall lack of content, industry/economy, etc.), issues affecting retention rates and thus paying off of the investments into advertisement.

Maynard Benaui wrote:

I do not have any figures on subscriber numbers, retention rates, company finances and such but I am concerned if it would be wise to spend (already limited?) resources on advertisement when the game suffers fundamental issues(new player experience, overall lack of content, industry/economy, etc.), issues affecting retention rates and thus paying off of the investments into advertisement.

Ah, but that is the very essence of my point.  The issues you quote (with the possible exception of new player experience), are all DUE to lack of players.  So you get into a chicken/egg situation somewhat, but the lack of content, industry/economy, all improve drastically when 10x the players join the game.

For now game starts banner ads campaign. Much cheaper than TV but works well too.

Gremrod wrote:

Or... You can get on board with the "Spread the Word!" campaign.

http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/i … oster1.png

http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/i … oster2.jpg

Print one and see if you local comic shop or game store will put it up.

smile

Can we get one for each race? Is there a Nian Industry logo?
Three posters like the seconds one would be perfect.

The Game

Ral wrote:

The issues you quote (with the possible exception of new player experience), are all DUE to lack of players.  So you get into a chicken/egg situation somewhat, but the lack of content, industry/economy, all improve drastically when 10x the players join the game.

You won't get more content with 10x more players, the game will be lacking content the same as with current numbers and other issues will remain mostly unaffected.

This isn't really chicken - egg problem. If players are not staying with the game now, they won't be staying with more advertisement.

Imo, the game delivers results as you would expect for what it has to offer. You can either change the direction of game development and make the game more appealing and populate or you keep it and build your game slowly because in current form it won't attract many.

Maynard Benaui wrote:
Ral wrote:

The issues you quote (with the possible exception of new player experience), are all DUE to lack of players.  So you get into a chicken/egg situation somewhat, but the lack of content, industry/economy, all improve drastically when 10x the players join the game.

You won't get more content with 10x more players, the game will be lacking content the same as with current numbers and other issues will remain mostly unaffected.

This isn't really chicken - egg problem. If players are not staying with the game now, they won't be staying with more advertisement.

Imo, the game delivers results as you would expect for what it has to offer. You can either change the direction of game development and make the game more appealing and populate or you keep it and build your game slowly because in current form it won't attract many.

We just fundamentally disagree on the way the game accomplishes its goal (to entertain players).  In a game like WoW, and I don't mean that as an insult, you could say Aion, Rift, FFXIV, etc, the game entertains by having endless content for players to go through.  As the game ages they raise the level cap and add more content for players to enjoy.

In a game like Perpetuum or Eve, there is minimal content provided by the game, rather, players are encouraged to "make their own fun."  Player-created corporations fighting each other for valuable resources which will be player-gathered and player-created into bigger and better weapons to continue deploying against other players, is the main content in these games.  Yes, an equivalent of Eve Titans or even Capital ships would add to the content available, and I'm sure they will come.  But right now the game's problems are lack of market activity (too few people supplying and especially too few people demanding), lack of PvP activity (triple the number of players trying to access beta and this will step up significantly), etc.

PO is an extremely niche game; it is not for everyone.  It is not for most people.  I suspect that is why many people are leaving it; if you put a random MMO player in a world and say here's your bot, here's how to shoot it, go have fun, they will scratch their head and wonder where the first quest hub is supposed to be.  Even relatively successful sandbox games like Eve have negligible numbers compared to WoW or even its off-shoots mentioned above.

So basically what I'm saying is the content in PO is directly connected to the players.  More players, more content.  It's not the type of content you're used to, but for the audience PO is intended for, it's what is needed.

Kristan Delorian wrote:

For now game starts banner ads campaign. Much cheaper than TV but works well too.

Absolutely agree.  I see a banner ad for Eve literally everywhere I go online (I'm not saying they advertise that much, but that the ads are customized for me.)  Every time I see one I think about signing up again.

Ral,

Dont let yourself get dragged in by Maynard, he's only created a trial account for trolling purposes on here and general chat wink

Jelan wrote:

Ral,

Dont let yourself get dragged in by Maynard, he's only created a trial account for trolling purposes on here and general chat wink

Well he brings up a good point, and I'm more interested in producing a good discussion than convincing people I'm right and they're wrong.  AC is an independent company, without a publisher, and I'm sure money is tight.  I suspect most of the development and initial bills were footed by private investors, so spending lots of cash on advertising may look difficult right now.

My argument is that all of the game's problems, including any financial ones that may exist, stem from low player counts, and an investment in advertising (even if it is leveraged), would pay itself off in new player subscriptions.

Ral wrote:
Jelan wrote:

Ral,

Well he brings up a good point, and I'm more interested in producing a good discussion than convincing people I'm right and they're wrong.  AC is an independent company, without a publisher, and I'm sure money is tight.  I suspect most of the development and initial bills were footed by private investors, so spending lots of cash on advertising may look difficult right now.

My argument is that all of the game's problems, including any financial ones that may exist, stem from low player counts, and an investment in advertising (even if it is leveraged), would pay itself off in new player subscriptions.

I agree, with more players comes more opportunity, more conflict, more competition, more demand etc etc

I also agree that with more players there will be more opertunities, but we would need more mine fields though then sad.

19 (edited by Arga 2011-03-22 01:05:28)

It seems like they are able to patch size and locations of fields rather quickly. If server population goes up significantly, they can and should adjust the resources accordingly.

EDIT: assuming that the population increase happens well before the new land is released.

Ral wrote:
Kristan Delorian wrote:

Absolutely agree.  I see a banner ad for Eve literally everywhere I go online (I'm not saying they advertise that much, but that the ads are customized for me.)  Every time I see one I think about signing up again.

You all beat me to it.  Eve is everywhere online.  Way to go methinks.

I'm not sure what the cost for this type of advertising is though.  Right now I'm assuming the DEVs barely have enough money to eat and keep the game going.

It's not ready yet to be heavily advertised. We need more space badly. Personally I don't think what the Devs are adding is enough, since it's still going to be too easy for established corps to seriosuly mess any newb up that decides to try and stake a claim in beta.

Eve had steady growth because it had the space available (5000+ Star Systems)for even solo players to venture out into lawless space and try to make something of themselves. PO does not....5000 star systems vs 6 islands, where can you hide better? smile

Expand to 50ish islands for the start, add more later. It's like we're on a mini planet at the moment...

There will be three new betas soon and there's only two credible entities to take them. It's possible one of the existing alliances might either move or attempt to take another but hokk is already largely a ghost town and neither of the other two needs the space. Provided you don't care about intrusions a small Corp would be fine.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

they could add one new feature

//add titanium X

x = amount

Predator Nova wrote:

It's not ready yet to be heavily advertised. We need more space badly. Personally I don't think what the Devs are adding is enough, since it's still going to be too easy for established corps to seriosuly mess any newb up that decides to try and stake a claim in beta.

Eve had steady growth because it had the space available (5000+ Star Systems)for even solo players to venture out into lawless space and try to make something of themselves. PO does not....5000 star systems vs 6 islands, where can you hide better? smile

Expand to 50ish islands for the start, add more later. It's like we're on a mini planet at the moment...

I think that is the plan, but some past Dev commentry stated that its a lot of work creating new islands.  If you think about it it would be a lot harder than creating star systems, which could probably be automated.  I agree though that a much bigger game, say 10x bigger to start, would cater to many more playstyles.

Evolution wrote:

//add titanium X

x = amount

I thought I was taking care of that for you smile

Evolution wrote:

//add titanium X

x = amount

Oh...