Re: Revert the kernel nerf.

hmm, kernel market - lets see:

• tier 1-2 bot-kernels are researched and maxed pretty fast. you could buy them but they are solo-farmable, so buying them is only a timesafer.

• tier 3-4 bot kernels are do-able on alpha islands, depending on your extensions and equip also soloable, but at least a sequer alt/companion should be there.

• tier 5 bot kernels and all kinds of Mech kernels are group content (except your name is alexander). without a corp, you probably wont do it.

now tell me, who grinds and sells the intresting kernels? you need a group for it, which is most likely your own corp - and which corp sells their hardly farmed kernels on the market?
Even M2S wont flood the market now with kernels because they dont need them anymore - because the know that any new tech implemented will be researched from same kernels, and they will just save them for that.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

So, having been keeping an eye on how this issue develops we can see that the majority of posters (8/10) thus far are far from happy with this kernel nerf.

On the other hand, we have one forum troll meddling and one elitist telling every other corp to gtfo as: "Not every corporation is supposed to have T3 / T4 research". Easy to say for those who have it.

Is anyone keeping a close eye on kernel prices and availability at the moment? It will be interesting to discover if they are being bought out immediately by rich corps / players and either withheld or resold at massive profits. My guess would be that kernels from the market will be purchased and withheld by the uber-wealthy. We can't have the whipping boys getting a glimpse of glory now can we, what what?

"Rise like lions after slumber in unvanquishable number!
Shake your chains to earth, like dew
Which in sleep had fall'n on you:
Ye are many - they are few."

I can tell you that larger beta islands should not be selling kernels. The only reason ever to sell kernels would be in some force of peace offering as anyone stupid enough to give advanced technology to the enemy won't be on beta for very long.

Kernels at a lower tier are fine. You'll get your T2 research without a problem but you won't be able to get that T4 without living on a beta island or at least being allied with a beta island that can't control itself.

Nothing really changed with this kernel change apart from some alliances will take longer to get T4 and some will get it faster depending on how they operated.

The Game

Exactly Alexander. Nobody will be able to come into the game and expect to be able to advance into T4 and therefore, pose some challenge to the Beta alliances without either having a huge numerical advantage to begin with, where they substitute quality of gear with sheer quantity of T1 guns; or by joining a Beta corporation/Beta alliance.

In either case, it gives no future for the newcomers to the game. They can buy kernels? Lol? The plasma already drops in larger quantities from the high-tier mobs, therefore Beta corps already get the best NIC source for combats. We also get the best NIC source for industrials, which are the Alpha - Beta transport missions.

So, besides having exclusive access to Epriton - key to upgrade everything and build everything noteworthy - and having better Noralgis yields compared to new guys on Alpha, we now also get complete monopoly on kernels just to make sure nobody can EVER compete with the 3-4 corps living on Beta right now.

Its simply wrong and unfair, the game should be getting more complex for Beta dwellers with more stuff to do, not making everything easier and ensuring our perpetual dominion over our little islands until we start fighting each other for +1 useless outpost.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Exactly Alexander. Nobody will be able to come into the game and expect to be able to advance into T4 and therefore, pose some challenge to the Beta alliances without either having a huge numerical advantage to begin with, where they substitute quality of gear with sheer quantity of T1 guns; or by joining a Beta corporation/Beta alliance.

Why an earth should corporations that have just entered the game or any that live on Alpha islands have readily available access to T4/5 NPC's which give T4 equipment research. Have you heard of progression? If a corporation lives on alpha then they should have to do incursions into PvP islands to get the kernels, buy them from the market or negotiate some sort of deal with people living on the PvP islands. This is not unbalanced in any way shape or form. It's also something that's been done. I know people that have had incursions into PvP islands to get their kernel research since they live on Alpha. And guess what, they got their T4 research on the items they wanted.

As for being competitive in PvP you make it seem like everything but T4 is terrible. It isn't. If you can't use anything but T4 then that's your problem, there are hundreds of people being rather successful in PvP whilst not using T4 equipment. It's also been proven time and time again that in order to post a threat or hinder existing alliances on PvP islands you do not need to live there at all. The argument that Alpha islanders cannot be a threat to Beta dwellers is simply ridiculous.

Syndic wrote:

In either case, it gives no future for the newcomers to the game. They can buy kernels? Lol? The plasma already drops in larger quantities from the high-tier mobs, therefore Beta corps already get the best NIC source for combats. We also get the best NIC source for industrials, which are the Alpha - Beta transport missions.

You fail to see past the current game that we have. It's inevitable that there will be additional NIC sinks for beta dwellers. Also, by nature the people that live on beta islands will spend more NIC in activities such as PvP to protect their interests. A Beta islander may make 20m NIC and hour in comparison to an Alpha's 10 however that Beta guy will lose at least 10m NIC of that in PvP which the alpha islander will not, hence the NIC argument is invalid.

Syndic wrote:

So, besides having exclusive access to Epriton - key to upgrade everything and build everything noteworthy - and having better Noralgis yields compared to new guys on Alpha, we now also get complete monopoly on kernels just to make sure nobody can EVER compete with the 3-4 corps living on Beta right now.

Once again you make the fatal assumption that everything that doesn't require Noralgis or Epriton is terrible and once again I'll tell you that it isn't. The market is improving right now, even the things that people may want in order to PvP can be obtained for reasonable prices however since PvP isn't a requirement for an Alpha islander it's completely optional in the first place as to whether they want to spend their NIC in that area, it isn't a requirement to advance their research as opposed to Beta dewellers.

Syndic wrote:

Its simply wrong and unfair, the game should be getting more complex for Beta dwellers with more stuff to do, not making everything easier and ensuring our perpetual dominion over our little islands until we start fighting each other for +1 useless outpost.

It's wrong and unfair that Alpha islanders shouldn't have the same readily available access to T4/5 NPC's as beta islanders? I think I've quite clearly proved how absurd such a statement is.

31 (edited by Alexadar 2011-04-07 16:26:40)

The kernel incapsulation as units for science research is fine in my opinion.
Those who want money will simply farm plasma and sell it. Thats why kernel became more science asset, what is logicall. I wonder why this changes was implemented only in last patch.

Research rate from kernels was pretty fast: for gaining t4 missile launcher tech we spent less than few month gametime. If devs want long term gameplay for new players, they should degrade science rate, and that was done. Less cry about "We achieved endgame...." more gameplay.
Simply.

I have to agree with Alexadar.
This change was good. Nothing has changed in effect. For some people they'll be better off and for others they'll be worse off.

Large communist corporations will now get NIC and research instead of one or the other. The fact is that very few people should be researching. One player in 50 should be using kernels. Any more than that is a waste and is pretty useless to the game. Now if you want to research kernels and don't farm them you can afford to buy them and people should now be selling them as they're only useful for science.

The 50% reduced drop rate is canceled out buy the 100% decrease in NPC buy orders. Kernels don't just vanish anymore. Whatever happens to them is player decided.
Research SHOULD take a long time. I've been with CIR on their farming operations and they're pitiful. If you want T4 you've got to step up your game.

New players can get T2 and T3 without even stepping foot on the beta islands and with the new island soon it'll be even easier to farm higher tiered mobs. Soon we'll see roaming gangs meeting NPCing groups and then fun PVP will be had where sometimes the NPCing group wins!

The Game

Styx wrote:

Why an earth should corporations that have just entered the game or any that live on Alpha islands have readily available access to T4/5 NPC's which give T4 equipment research. Have you heard of progression? If a corporation lives on alpha then they should have to do incursions into PvP islands to get the kernels, buy them from the market or negotiate some sort of deal with people living on the PvP islands. This is not unbalanced in any way shape or form. It's also something that's been done. I know people that have had incursions into PvP islands to get their kernel research since they live on Alpha. And guess what, they got their T4 research on the items they wanted.

I am not arguing Alpha corps/new players having access to T4/5 NPC's on Alpha islands. That would indeed be silly and completely nullify the idea of going to Beta, which is why I've never said that T4/5 kernels should be available on Alpha.

I am arguing that with -50% kernel drop rate it makes kernel incursions into PVP islands less worthwhile because:
a) Less kernels are required
b) Longer time investment is required
c) More danger for less return

On top of that, my argument still stands that instead of "progressing" through the 6-9 month kernel grind - and it is that, no corporation that joins the game will bring the sort of numbers required to steamroll through it faster then that - its simply easier and more convenient for people to join already established corporations.

... Which actually promotes blob-warfare as corporations get bigger and bigger due to the influx from new players/intermediate corps disbanding.

Styx wrote:

As for being competitive in PvP you make it seem like everything but T4 is terrible. It isn't. If you can't use anything but T4 then that's your problem, there are hundreds of people being rather successful in PvP whilst not using T4 equipment. It's also been proven time and time again that in order to post a threat or hinder existing alliances on PvP islands you do not need to live there at all. The argument that Alpha islanders cannot be a threat to Beta dwellers is simply ridiculous.

Starting a discussion on who can't or doesn't use anything but T4 is not even a discussion, so I wont get into that.

T1-T2 fitted squads can easily compete and beat T4 fitted squads, it is the age-old quality vs quantity discussion; quantity has quality of its own blahblah, again not really worth discussing as its beating a dead horse.

New corps joining the game simply cannot be a threat to current Beta alliances for the simple reasoning:
a) They have no experience
b) It will be 6+ months before they're at a technology level to compete
c) They have no stockpiles

In short from the beginning everything is now stacked against the new corporation. Yes, we agree it shouldn't be easy to progress to a competitive level in the game. I am arguing that its nonsense to make it downright impossible in a reasonable time-frame. Reasonable is not 6-9 months, mainly because the few people playing the game will get bored & leave in 2-3 months tops if the population doesn't climb upward.

Styx wrote:

You fail to see past the current game that we have. It's inevitable that there will be additional NIC sinks for beta dwellers. Also, by nature the people that live on beta islands will spend more NIC in activities such as PvP to protect their interests. A Beta islander may make 20m NIC and hour in comparison to an Alpha's 10 however that Beta guy will lose at least 10m NIC of that in PvP which the alpha islander will not, hence the NIC argument is invalid.

Yes, there will be NIC sinks, and Delta/Gamma/Whatever islands, and terraforming and all of that wonderful stuff we have heard so much about. But its not in the game now, and it doesn't count as a factor or counter-balance until implemented & its systems available.

IF the kernel nerf is meant to balance out the good stuff thats coming in the future, then it should come into the game along with everything else its meant to balance. Right now its only serving to slow down the game progression - which is fine for the 2-3 corps that finished the tech trees. In fact, it only prolongs their finite advantage. But that is irrelevant because it is after all, a FINITE advantage and sooner or later the server will catch up to even up the playing field.

What is relevant is the impact on new players and new corps.

Styx wrote:

Once again you make the fatal assumption that everything that doesn't require Noralgis or Epriton is terrible and once again I'll tell you that it isn't. The market is improving right now, even the things that people may want in order to PvP can be obtained for reasonable prices however since PvP isn't a requirement for an Alpha islander it's completely optional in the first place as to whether they want to spend their NIC in that area, it isn't a requirement to advance their research as opposed to Beta dewellers.

The main reason the market is dead, is because there is no incentive for corporations to amass NIC. For communist corps NIC becomes a laughing joke, as they are by far and large completely independent from the market.

An incentive to amass NIC would be the terraforming/POS/player-buildings. But again, thats not coming in the near future therefore not a relevant factor.

Styx wrote:

It's wrong and unfair that Alpha islanders shouldn't have the same readily available access to T4/5 NPC's as beta islanders? I think I've quite clearly proved how absurd such a statement is.

Yes, you have however not proven why making it a downright pain in the *** for new players will benefit the game in any way. There is progression, then there is korean farming. Perpetuum is a korean farming game at the moment, with optional PVP.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Not only kernel nerf.but i see also item drop is nerf.

I'm agree with the oppost.
/signed

Online history: 900 -> 90 -> 9 -> ??

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Mr Styx u may be a little biased here since kernels have no more utility for your corp. This game nor any mmorpg belongs to megacorps, its called sharing and ppl learn that as youngsters, why would newcomers or med to small sized corps have to invest more time to feel the "progression" wind in their faces, than your well timed and adverted gang did (no ofense).
I say if there was an issue with knowledge base being too common, there might be other options than giving again such disadvantage to big corps (drop rate to 70%, change spawns, drop % of knowledge learnt and so, .,)

How were smaller corporations getting kernels before?
Answer: Farming them.

How are smaller corporations meant to get kernels now?
Answer: Farming them and buying them.

Now I think if we all wait a week or so people will start to sell kernels. I won't and nor will my corporation as we're still using kernels but those who don't want kernels (Which should be most people) will either be selling them to their corporation or selling them on the market.

The Game

Syndic wrote:

I am not arguing Alpha corps/new players having access to T4/5 NPC's on Alpha islands. That would indeed be silly and completely nullify the idea of going to Beta, which is why I've never said that T4/5 kernels should be available on Alpha.

I never said you did say that. I also never said that T4/5 NPC's should be available on Alpha islands. No offence, but invest in reading comprehension. You've just started off your entire post on something I didn't say which you appear to insinuate that I did. At this point I'm debating on whether to even respond to the rest of your post seeing as it seems to be a response to a variety of things that I never even said. However since you've brought up some more fallacies I'm quite happy to dispute them.

Syndic wrote:

I am arguing that with -50% kernel drop rate it makes kernel incursions into PVP islands less worthwhile because:
a) Less kernels are required
b) Longer time investment is required
c) More danger for less return

Incursions are not less worthwhile at all. Something only becomes less worthwhile if another, better option becomes available. Not because the ending point got moved. Again, longer time investment is also not required if you use the market. You can farm T4/5 NPC's on beta the entire time saving the kernels for when you have T3 research completed funded by selling beta gained Plasma. Just because you've said yourself that you're very isolated from the market doesn't mean that you can completely remove that aspect from the argument, as hard as you seem to try.

Syndic wrote:

On top of that, my argument still stands that instead of "progressing" through the 6-9 month kernel grind - and it is that, no corporation that joins the game will bring the sort of numbers required to steamroll through it faster then that - its simply easier and more convenient for people to join already established corporations.

And you think this is a problem? M2S has been a corporation IN Perpetuum for nearly a year and a half. Despite most of that being in Beta we had all the people right from the beginning in live, that's one reason why we completed our tree so fast. I don't see an issue with brand new corporations having to wait 6-9 months to complete their technology tree because in reality that's how long it would have taken us if we'd have been a new corporation in live. I just don't agree that this is unbalanced. Research is one of the most integral things in the game and you seem to think it should be completable in a few months by a rag tag group of individuals with very little effort nor organisation.

Syndic wrote:

Starting a discussion on who can't or doesn't use anything but T4 is not even a discussion, so I wont get into that.

But it's still something you continue to insinuate in your arguments hence is relevant.

Syndic wrote:

New corps joining the game simply cannot be a threat to current Beta alliances for the simple reasoning:
a) They have no experience
b) It will be 6+ months before they're at a technology level to compete
c) They have no stockpiles

In short from the beginning everything is now stacked against the new corporation. Yes, we agree it shouldn't be easy to progress to a competitive level in the game. I am arguing that its nonsense to make it downright impossible in a reasonable time-frame. Reasonable is not 6-9 months, mainly because the few people playing the game will get bored & leave in 2-3 months tops if the population doesn't climb upward.

I never said new corporations would be, I said Alpha corporations. Once again you've created an entire response to something I never even said. However as I said just above I don't see 6-9 months being an unreasonable time frame to complete T4 research on EVERY ITEM IN THE GAME. Capitalized to highlight the importance of this fact.

Syndic wrote:

What is relevant is the impact on new players and new corps.

As I've mentioned multiple times in my post I simply disagree that the situation new corporations are in is unbalanced or unfair using the evidence or arguments I've shown.

Syndic wrote:

The main reason the market is dead, is because there is no incentive for corporations to amass NIC. For communist corps NIC becomes a laughing joke, as they are by far and large completely independent from the market.

Speak for yourself. I fail to see how you can give an accurate opinion on the market from someone whose corporation is self proclaimed to be very isolated from it. I'm quite active in the market and know for a fact that it is getting better.

Syndic wrote:

Yes, you have however not proven why making it a downright pain in the *** for new players will benefit the game in any way. There is progression, then there is korean farming. Perpetuum is a korean farming game at the moment, with optional PVP.

You call it a pain in the ***, I call it a balanced curve relative to the benefits gained at the end when research has been completed. As for Perpetuum being a grind, it doesn't have to be. No one is forcing you to kernel farm every time you log in. I'm fairly sure this isn't what the developers are wanting you to do. You're supposed to do other activities but just kernel farm, maybe this is why you think it's such a grind. Because it's what you're doing the most of.

Besides, I don't agree that it's a grind anyway. An organised effort with a sufficient number of people utilising all game and social mechanics available will see your technology tree completed in a reasonable time frame.

Alexander wrote:

How were smaller corporations getting kernels before?
Answer: Farming them.

How are smaller corporations meant to get kernels now?
Answer: Farming them and buying them.

Now I think if we all wait a week or so people will start to sell kernels. I won't and nor will my corporation as we're still using kernels but those who don't want kernels (Which should be most people) will either be selling them to their corporation or selling them on the market.

QFT

People have long complained that the solo/small corps aspect of the game was lack lustre, well here is the first of many improvements. This is a TEAM game, there will ALWAYS be content which is designed only to be unlocked by groups of players.

Here and now there is a good reason for smaller corps and solo players to mission and farm to improve their lot in the game. As pointed out above, access to the lower tier production is easy to obtain, mass T4 production should not be available to a 5 man corps, however it should not be beyond the realms to aim for 1 or 2 aspects of the tech tree at higher tiers. This should also stimulate the Market actually IF the appropriate expectations are set.

Farm kernels > trade out those you don't need and sell plasma > buy kernels you need from other small corps/solo players who are also trading out

Seems eminently balanced and I will try and keep an eye on this over the coming week to give a view on the podcast Market view segment.

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

41 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-07 19:40:23)

People don't like sharing, they don't want to do a community effort, and they want easily obtainable goals. Newer corps can team up with other corps to establish complete lines. This team-building approach creates new communities in the game.

If what Styx says is true, then a solid team would develop over 6-9 months. Most alliances in this game have 3-5 corps within them, each of which could simply donate kernels to another having a figurehead in each. Each figurehead is simply a prototype of one color. That requires trust, and I'm willing to bet people wont go with it.

Furthermore you could just sell kernels of one color and focus all your efforts on just one.

I also think the focus of the game isn't getting everything and it makes the game very monotone. ie don't grind all day and play more. We're certainly not spending all day grinding.

I agree with Syndic and Arga.  This was unnecessary, and in my own informal small tests the plasma doesn't even approach half the value of kernels that were lost.

As someone with 3 accounts who was trying to do some little research and production on one of my characters this hurts; badly.  I like most of the other changes (private storage inventory and radar scrolling both rock) that came in the patch but the kernel nerf was both unnecessary and unwelcome.

I also think if it's going to stay this way we should get an EP refund on the research skill at the very least.  This EP can then go in to CTs which are the only way left and the limited options from them.

My guess is that may have been part of the intent since they also allowed damaged item/ct direct trades in this patch as well.

This game feels very anti-soloist and is extremely heavy handed in its approach to enforcing this view.  Considering the recent Dev post talking about catering to lone-wolf carebears this is a *very* counter-intuitive move on their part.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Crepitus wrote:

Considering the recent Dev post talking about catering to lone-wolf carebears this is a *very* counter-intuitive move on their part.

While I don't like this change either (seriously, which nerf is good?), I don't really see how this makes a difference for solo and group play.

Before:
Solo - 100% kernel drops
Group - 100% kernel drops

After:
Solo - 50% kernel drops
Group - 50% kernel drops

It has been slowed down for everyone. Grinding was faster in groups before the patch too, and that hasn't changed.

Sad Panda wrote:
Crepitus wrote:

Considering the recent Dev post talking about catering to lone-wolf carebears this is a *very* counter-intuitive move on their part.

While I don't like this change either (seriously, which nerf is good?), I don't really see how this makes a difference for solo and group play.

Before:
Solo - 100% kernel drops
Group - 100% kernel drops

After:
Solo - 50% kernel drops
Group - 50% kernel drops

It has been slowed down for everyone. Grinding was faster in groups before the patch too, and that hasn't changed.

solo: 50% nerf
group (basically corps): 50% X numberofplayersingroupwhichmaychange

conclusion: soloist beaten down; group nerfed but more people farming can compensate for the loss.  all players lose either way, especially with certain corps already far ahead of the curve having not been hurt by this nerf since their tech trees are already quite full of t4 fruit wink

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Crepitus wrote:

conclusion: soloist beaten down; group nerfed but more people farming can compensate for the loss.  all players lose either way, especially with certain corps already far ahead of the curve having not been hurt by this nerf since their tech trees are already quite full of t4 fruit wink

"more people farming can compensate for the loss" isn't really an argument since more people could have farmed even more kernels before the nerf too.

You make it sound like there would be a fixed rate at which players HAVE to farm kernels otherwise something bad happens smile

I feel I've been posting in the wrong thread, not because I think the kernel change isn't going to negatively effect the game play, but that I don't really want to see it get reversed.

100% kernel drop and bounty is too much profit for combat farming, and really the research argument is the real issue; not the volume of kernels.

One point I keep forgetting to make is about game balance. The game can't be balanced around the performance of the 'top' corporation. The wow analogy is having all the raids balanced around Paragon taking 3 months to complete. The game needs to be balanced around the 80% area; that means the game is balanced when 80% of the corps cap research in the given time. It is not balanced if because of game layout, including the distribution of kernels on beta, only a few corps reach the goal regardless of time spent.

Styx could be right, I don't have the same numbers as well as mara's arguement. But you can't just wait 3 months and see how if falls out.

To be clear, what I'm saying is you don't nerf research just because 1 or 2 corps have completed the tree sooner than expected. Also that certain aspects of the game should get easier as time progresses, and the benefit of being 'good' at the game is a period of time where your corp has a distinct advantage.

To effectively make research progression dependant on time, the addition of 1 or even 2 more extensions that give research bonuses are needed; with an aapropriatley high complexity to ensure that the player really is dedicated to researching.

This will require the player to balance ep spending between research and prototype production or require corps to get more than 1 character skilled; specifically if they can only make 1 prototype every 3 days because they put all ep into research, that is going to limit the number of ct's that can be made; oppsoed tonow where you mak research 10 and make 8 prototypes at a time quicker with extensive skills.

Tldr; give the rersearch profession another look, don't balance the game around 1 corp.

.. the problem is this isn't WoW which has millions of players and thousands of guilds and not even close to similar game mechanics.  Having a 9000 lb gorilla in the room stomping on all the little guys makes them want to quit once they see both what they're up against and also how long it will take for them to be competitive.

This was and is already a huge problem; the kernel nerf just makes it worse.  That you need 6+ mos of EP under your belt to be really competitive with all the Beta roaming alliances is a MAJOR reason people quit this ostensibly PVP game or wouldn't even try it to start with (in fact it's exactly that reason that I personally never bothered to play Eve and came here instead, thinking that the gap wouldn't be quite so large as it is).  This has been discussed in other threads as well .. with nothing being done.

What this means you are forced to group .. yet there are frequent numerous complaints about 'blobs' even from the Devs.  The only way to truly break a 'blob' is by making solo play viable which it currently isn't for anyone not from Early Access with a t4 corp behind them handing out gear.

Population graphs

The problem is ...you saw wow and quit reading.

I'm not comparing wow and peretuum game mechanics. I'm comparing overall game balance. And its a *** good analogy.

This thread isn't about combat EP deltas, don't try to derail it.

49 (edited by Crepitus 2011-04-08 12:42:40)

Arga wrote:

The problem is ...you saw wow and quit reading.

I'm not comparing wow and peretuum game mechanics. I'm comparing overall game balance. And its a *** good analogy.

This thread isn't about combat EP deltas, don't try to derail it.

No.  It's about *** over newbies, soloists, and small corps in which case they're both the same there. 

It seems the pot is calling the kettle black on the Wow portion, and no, it's not a good analogy to compare the balance on any level with a game that has billions in income and 6+ years of development in an entirely different genre with a sandbox game made by an indie dev team out for less than a year.

End game pve raiding and kernel tree research are not equivalent anyway since one does not give a huge advantage over the other IN PVP which is what kernel nerfing gives all the heavily teched Beta corps over everyone else while they sit on their tech.

While I agree with khalsius (?) from the latest podcast (I've only heard the first half) that eventually all the t4 tech will leach out in to the market, at the moment, this has only happened in a marginal way with a handful of items and in most cases at exorbitant pricing and the point of having the research is so you have the option to make something that may otherwise not be available, they've slammed the door on most people ever seeing that.

Some people have posted defending this saying "not everyone is supposed to be in t3/t4" -- of course .. so you can have fish in a barrel or keep them in alpha amirite?

I stand by what I said, I think it should be reversed and if not then prototyping/research EP refunded so it can be spent elsewhere (like on CTs since that's the only viable alternative?).

It's adding insult to injury to keep people's EP on top of making sure they have no chance in hell of progressing.

The speculation about smaller corps basically ending up in informal huge alliances just to get access to tech because they can't gain access in a *reasonable* time frame themselves was true before the patch; this makes it infinitely worse.

Population graphs

Crepitus wrote:

Some people have posted defending this saying "not everyone is supposed to be in t3/t4" -- of course .. so you can have fish in a barrel or keep them in alpha amirite?

Styx wrote:

Not every corporation is supposed to have T3 / T4 research

There's a difference between using T4 equipment and having the research. Sure everyone can use it, they just have to buy it from the players and corporations who put the significant amount of effort in to get the research.