Topic: Revert the kernel nerf.

Quite simply revert the kernel nerf (-50% drop rate) that was put in with today's patch.

Getting knowledge from kernels is a tedious process. A grind even, it cannot be called anything but a grind because that is what it is - tens of thousands of kernels need to be farmed to progress to a level where you are/can expect to be competitive in PVP or PVE.

The corps currently in-game are already hemorrhaging members left and right as people get fed up with not having stuff to do in-game. While the Kernel nerf is effective at its "intended" purpose which is slowing down the game so in theory, it gives people something to grind for while you finish making the fun new content, in practice it just makes it a very intolerable grind.

What is there currently to do in-game? Mine ore (grind), do assignments (grind), farm kernels (grind), harvest noralgis (grind), wait for PVP to show up (yay fun stuff... for 5 minutes every ~6 hours).

Consider the current corporations now in-game, what benefit is there for them to continue to struggle on grinding for kernels when they can just as easily merge into another corporation with higher technology knowledge, and live as a corp-within-a-corp? My own corporation has already received 2 inquiries from 50+ member corporations, not few hours ago after the patch went live.

Consider the new corporations yet to come to Perpetuum, what benefit will there be for them to even contemplate getting their own corporation off the ground? They have a massive assignment grind ahead of them to get access to Beta missions, a massive Kernel grind to get relatively competitive to try and gain access to Beta, and on top of that they have yet another massive Kernel grind to get T2+ medium weapons when/if they win access to Beta.

Now consider that there are corporations in the game that have the entire technology tree already researched. M2S is the one everyone knows about, and I'm sure there are 2-3 more Beta corporations who most likely knew this was coming and farmed their technology tree up as well.

Kernels were already a 50,000+ kernel grind, now you've simply added 50% on top of it. As things are now, new corporations starting on Alpha and getting to the competitive level for PVP (minimum T4 frame, T4 repper, some other stuff) will have to spend at least ~6 months grinding on Alpha, or get really lucky. How many new corporations do you think will stay together, when they can simply join a Beta/higher Tech corporation; or go off and play another game?

In all honesty, it needs to be said that you've gone over the top with this. Consider making the game more newbie-friendly instead of making it more difficult progressively for the new guy to do anything in the game that could make him competitive with PVPers on Beta.

We all already have stockpiles + EP advantage, we really don't need more advantages. I mean, there's a video rolling about with M2S deleting 0.13G of HDT out of pure boredom; that people are doing this at all should be rising alarm bells about encouraging more players not putting roadblocks with landmines for them.

The game NEEDS more players. Revert the kernel nerf, and make the new-player experience more relevant then "Welcome to Perpetuum. Here is your Bot. You will spend the next 6 months grinding, then you can consider conquering some territory and most likely failing miserably because you won't have any PVP experience."

In all honesty, I was feeling sorry for new corporations with regards to having to join an alliance to get Beta access, now I downright pity them. I personally would never subscribe to Perpetuum at this point if I was a new player and knew what Kernels really were.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Re: Revert the kernel nerf.

I agree but for different reasons.
You make it sound like standard fit robots stand no chance against big T4 fit players and most of the time you'd be right but the issue isn't smaller corporations not being able to catch up or join in it's there is no reason to.

Why would a 10 or 20 man corporation want an outpost? What else is there between nothing an outposts? Nothing. There needs to be some form of "Home Base" bonus to corporations that live out of alpha outposts. There are many outposts just not being used right now for the simple fact a blob can just wander through and ruin hours of work.

Kernels are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to why new players feel left out. The new player experience is terrible, the need for gear is minimal and the desire to improve just doesn't take root in most players because there is no reason to. Market dominance just isn't worth it when someone can come along and ruin all your plans just by mistake.

The game needs more players but at the same time it need alliances to desolve. It's needs outposts to be fought over and not shared. The devs need to make sharing harder.

The Game

I agree Alex, there need to be changes done with regards to Outposts and their utility/sharing. I am simply stating however, that the grind-factor of the Kernels has been increased by 50% and it will impact MOSTLY new corporations forming/joining the game and wanting to get into territory warfare/nullsec stuff (when that is added).

Yes, they can buff outposts/make alliances less beneficial. There will still be another huge disadvantage against people trying to form their own corporation, to simply joining an already established one, to the point where it is really pointless.

This kernel change needs reverting for the good of the game and its future players.

CIR Complaint Form

Indeed Mr Syndic and an eloquent post.

Possessing only combat bots, I am most displeased that the gains we are making through organised, efficient ops will now suffer such a huge delay and that I must spend 50% extra 'gaming' time on this awfully dull and repetitious kernel grind.

Are certain corps realising that their dominance will soon crumble and have steered the nerf-bat to hit developing corps firmly in the nuts? Pity. I cannot think of any other reason. Why would PO jeopardise subscriptions in such a way? Enlighten me as to the logic of this decrease in drop rates?

"Rise like lions after slumber in unvanquishable number!
Shake your chains to earth, like dew
Which in sleep had fall'n on you:
Ye are many - they are few."

I second that, its already been hard to research upto t2 items. Now Its 50% harder or more expensive to buy.

Devs could at the least wait for more players to subscribe to reach the levels we were in before the big ore nerf, now less drops from kernals? By the time you add new islands I hope there are going to be players left to fill them.

Too many nerfs shows they haven't given it much thought in the first place, but anyways I still wish this game success. My optimism a few months ago in running low these days:(

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Styx 2011-04-06 17:23:20)

Syndic wrote:

:Stuff:

I disagree. Pre-patch you had kernels, modules, fragments and decoders as loot. Now you have Plasma as well which is proportional to the old kernels value. Not every corporation is supposed to have T3 / T4 research, this is the best equipment in the game, these should be hard to get. Not only can you now get kernels whilst farming but you can also sell the Plasma and purchase more kernels via the market from individuals who aren't pursuing their own technology tree.

The money you can currently get from Plasma is significant, an organised operation can quite easily purchase thousands of kernels from the market in order to build up their lower research then farm the higher kernels themselves for the tech which isn't researched from the kernels on alpha. Hell, you can even purchase kernels from your alliance mates on Beta.

You've referenced various information about M2S in your post however you've failed to note the thousands of man hours we put into farming Kernels, the billions of NIC we spent on kernels via the market AND from our alliance members and the many donations we had. Due to the kernel buy orders being removed 95% of them just got significantly cheaper. You can quite easily get your tech tree up in 1-2 months with an organised corporation effort with access to beta, even less with an organised alliance.

EDIT: You say that the kernel grind has been increased 50%, sell the plasma and buy kernels from the market. The kernel grind had been reduced with this change if you chose to play smart and not ignore core game features that you can utilise.

i dont like this change either -

Its another change from quality to quantity, and the oppositte of what the game needs.

yes, that there are at least two or three corporations out there that have maxed out the tech tree is an issue and was forseeable:

- you just need to feed one agent with kernels to get a prototyper for a whole alliance
- that agent is in most bigger corps a shared account, and even if that player stops playing, someone probabably will continue to use it. Its against the EULA but theres no way to check.
- i dont want to discuss the impact of the insurance fraud here, but i'm sure its related.
- everyone can gain full knowledge - you get omnipotent there on a single character

That aside - can i has more confortable grind mechanics please?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I made some of my points here http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ns/page/3/

Styx wrote:

you've failed to note the thousands of man hours we put into farming Kernels, the billions of NIC we spent on kernels via the market AND from our alliance members and the many donations we had

Obviously getting to T4 is difficult, that was acknowledged before this change, but you have to admit that now with kernels dropping only 50% of the time, your previous 1000's of hours would be at least doubled, . And true you spent billions of NIC, but you probably also bought all the kernels you could of the type you needed as they became available. So even with more NIC, from the bounties, you still could not have gone any faster as the supply wasn't there.

The devs have access to more information then we do, and I think what they are doing is looking at the number of kernels that were sold to the buy orders versus the number of kernels that dropped. And estimated that about 50% of those kernels were sold for NIC. What they are missing is the learning curve on the market, where many players that sold to beta outposts learned they could sell those kernels (to M2S most likely) on the market for 3-4 times the buy order. At this time, I doubt there are very many kernels being sold on beta.

Arga wrote:

Obviously getting to T4 is difficult, that was acknowledged before this change, but you have to admit that now with kernels dropping only 50% of the time, your previous 1000's of hours would be at least doubled.

If we were to farm for the same number of kernels then yes. However we wouldn't farm for the same number, we'd counter the 50% loss by buying more kernels from the market. The supply is there if you put enough effort into it. Previously I had to cover all of the NPC orders now I only have to cover player orders, significantly less. Yes, there are enough stupid people out there that will sell to an order on Beta that is a tenth of what there is on Alpha.

Arga wrote:

And true you spent billions of NIC, but you probably also bought all the kernels you could of the type you needed as they became available. So even with more NIC, from the bounties, you still could not have gone any faster as the supply wasn't there.

See above, the supply is there so long as you're not attempting to get every Prototyper in an alliance up, which is what most seem to be trying to do.

Arga wrote:

The devs have access to more information then we do, and I think what they are doing is looking at the number of kernels that were sold to the buy orders versus the number of kernels that dropped. And estimated that about 50% of those kernels were sold for NIC. What they are missing is the learning curve on the market, where many players that sold to beta outposts learned they could sell those kernels (to M2S most likely) on the market for 3-4 times the buy order. At this time, I doubt there are very many kernels being sold on beta.

See above, there are a lot of stupid people out there.

10 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-06 18:41:49)

One major benefit of the kernels being reduced is that people will have a good reason to sell them now since there will be such a demand. That demand will be met with the new energy items dropped from the bots. This will create an exchange of money between players on alpha or beta, that will help money move.

Whether it be in alliance the money is being traded, or outside there will be a strong demand.

As Styx mentioned there are other ways to get kernels then by just farming. We've already been getting some good headway rather then just straight farming.

Mara Kaid wrote:

One major benefit of the kernels being reduced is that people will have a good reason to sell them now since there will be such a demand. That demand will be met with the new energy items dropped from the bots. This will create an exchange of money between players on alpha or beta, that will help money move.

Whether it be in alliance the money is being traded, or outside there will be a strong demand.

As Styx mentioned there are other ways to get kernels then by just farming. We've already been getting some good headway rather then just straight farming.

If your coalition is working together as you've suggested then I commend you for that. You're actually playing smart rather than grinding for X amount of hours expecting to receive bacon at the end of it, unlike every other alliance but Infestation appears to be doing.

The argument you can just buy your way to the T4 gear isn't even realistic.

Why would any of the Beta alliances sell high-level kernels, to gear up their enemies? Its not like there's a lack of money on Beta, with highest-level mobs and best transport missions where you farm 10-20 mil per character per hour. Organized Beta dwellers don't need money, and the ones that do are obviously incompetent enough that they wouldn't be able to figure out how to farm the kernels in the first place.

Plus with the lower drop rate, you spend more time farming on hostile islands = more risk. No new corporation coming into the game is going to survive this technology tree, its easy for my own corp because we're at T3 working on T4 for medium weapons, or for M2S with a fully completed tech tree, or for corps being fed prototypes by other corps.

The new guy however, will simply not be able to compete with this. Its not a matter of intelligence or organization, it is a pure grind-fest for either money to afford overly-inflated prices for kernels (and they will skyrocket when the rest of us finish the tech tree and sell stuff that gives our racial weapon types), via boring assignments or boring mob-grinding to get plasma. The new guy and his new corp will get frustrated and leave the game, and then we can circle-jerk together when more corps that are in the intermediate stage fold, never mind we already aren't getting above ~300-400 at prime time.

CIR Complaint Form

I am really unclear what the real purpose behind this decision is.

At first glance I thought about the positive aspect that it might incentivize and diversify the PvE game a bit.  Then I considered the free-market implications.

I don't follow the market much but it seems that the supply / demand dynamic with kernels will be widely skewed.  First because its easier to farm the lower kernels and obtain significant quantities.  This then causes a high supply, low demand equation which lowers the average price.  Meanwhile the opposite happens for the higher tier kernels.  The supply is virtually cut off so the demand will be astronomical.

The free market relies on scarcity to generate a profit margin, however extremes of supply and demand ultimately ruin a free market economy from the inside out.  Therefore we have governments to control the gouging and monopolizations / exploitations. 

The devs just legalized the black market, as it were.

From the perspective of the drop rate nerf.  I believe that is purely a business decision.  They wanted to slow down the game progression and research is one of their biggest throttles.  Welcome to research on cruise mode.

14 (edited by Styx 2011-04-06 19:00:08)

Syndic wrote:

The argument you can just buy your way to the T4 gear isn't even realistic.

Why would any of the Beta alliances sell high-level kernels, to gear up their enemies? Its not like there's a lack of money on Beta, with highest-level mobs and best transport missions where you farm 10-20 mil per character per hour. Organized Beta dwellers don't need money, and the ones that do are obviously incompetent enough that they wouldn't be able to figure out how to farm the kernels in the first place.

Why not comprehensively read my post again. I don't write this stuff so you can gloss over well explained counter-points only for you to then splurge about something I just fully explained. I'm not saying you should buy your way to T4 gear. I'm saying you should buy your way to T2/3 gear and then farm from T3 to T4. You can farm T4/5 NPC's the entire time saving the kernels for when you've completed T3 research. The research prior to that being fueld by selling the Plasma you've been getting. I also suggest saving up kernels, I remember you saying that you researched kernels in 100 or less quantities. It doesn't take much experimenting to figure out that larger batches give better returns.

Read before posting.

I am talking about how this will impact the new corporations yet to come/form in the game, they will not have the benefit of knowledge or experimentation; instead they will quite simply get screwed by the amount of Kernels/Assignments/Modules/Ore/Plasma/Noralgis they need to farm to even contemplate doing some quality PVP, at which point they'll quit.

This is obviously largely irrelevant for already established corps with organized approach to kernel farming, because all of those are already at the T3-T4 stage.

It is moderately relevant to the established corps without a corp-wide organization for research, which are now screwed for another ~2 months of grind. These corps will most likely fold and join the "big technology dog" in their respective alliance, or broker some deal to be fed with prototypes at which point they're pretty much 1 corp with 2 different tags.

In any case, players will end up leaving the game and the rest of us will have nothing to do in game besides watching tumbleweeds roll by.

CIR Complaint Form

16 (edited by Styx 2011-04-06 19:19:51)

Syndic wrote:

:Stuff:

So your problem is that Alpha corporations cannot get their own T4 research sub six months when not even venturing on to a PvP island? Then I guess we have two differing opinions on progression along with scarcity of resources (which this game doesn't have enough of already).

hey guys, I think there is something wrong with the sky.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

18 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-06 19:21:32)

Syndic wrote:

I am talking about how this will impact the new corporations yet to come/form in the game, they will not have the benefit of knowledge or experimentation; instead they will quite simply get screwed by the amount of Kernels/Assignments/Modules/Ore/Plasma/Noralgis they need to farm to even contemplate doing some quality PVP, at which point they'll quit.

In any case, players will end up leaving the game and the rest of us will have nothing to do in game besides watching tumbleweeds roll by.

Not true, the newcorporations may have to make deals, and work with the bigger ones in order to advance themsleves. It encourages interaction politically. By providing that interaction the ones with advanced knowledge already get to do more then just watch tumbleweeds go by as they'll have to work with the newer guys coming in. More people will have to work together instead of being separate.

an MMORPG is about interaction, not about solo play.

50% is harder to get tech though, but still other ways do exists..

Snowstyle wrote:

hey guys, I think there is something wrong with the sky.

There's nothing wrong with the sky.

Sheep drop from the sky at decent rates. Why back in mmorpg days.....

And now new players have just as much a hard time being hit by sheep in the sky...

And so there you have it there is nothing wrong with the sky.

Market prcing, availability and the difficulty of obtaining higher level kernels at this point is all guessing and speculation. What I can say is about how this effects me.

I have already spent about 10 m nic on kernel research, which in the long view is not much, but I had a goal to try and reach one specific t4 item. The item isn't relevent, what is however is the idea of goal setting in this game. Setting long and short term goals is the only thing to motivate me to log in.

I feel that goal has just been moved too far. I don't make 10 m nic per day, that is a weeks worth of transport missions, and combat loot doesn't help me at all, so this change has directly effected my long term and short term goals.

Does one player matter... probably not, then again, I'm just the one player posting.

I'm never going to be a threat or target for m2s, so while styx's arguements may be vaild when applied to other beta alliances, they don't mean anything to solo players (the ones that won't see 1 billion nic in a year of playing). I also don't have any illusions of completing the tech tree, but I thought just maybe I could reach t4 in one specific area (not weapons).

This isn't going to stop me from playing, but it is going to stop my researching. And by extension any t4 items that I would have put into the market, since beta corps don't seem to be putting them up for sale.

Then again, in the long run, if syndic's prediction of the average player leaving the game is correct, then the choice of me staying will be moot.

21 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-04-06 20:47:41)

Arga watch this, go try to make money off the goo. Watch how much you make. It's in balance to the kernel demand that will be.

In my other post I did note the extra nic that a combat player can make from bounties, but I don't even own a combat bot on this character. Sure I have a second account with a combat alt, but not every subscriber has 2 accounts, if you have to have multiple accounts to play the game, then it truely is broken.

The point you do make is that I would be competing for kernels at a price that is now inflated under the assumption that I now have combat bounty nic to help close the gap.

What I was saying in the previous post is basically the goal of being a solo indy producer is not acheivable, and I'm now waiting to see what goal I can replace that with.

My other question is what are combat pilots going to buy with all their newly gained wealth? Certainly not tier gear, because again the corps that can produce it have no reason to sell it.

My 'prediction' is that demand will exceed the new supply, and drive the price up well over the amount of nic earned; that includes the players who are sitting on 10000 kernels just waiting for this.

I do agree that the market needs an influx of nic, but I would have rather seen somthing break the money loose from the beta corps that can afford to put up buy orders for 2000 units @ 100,000 nic each (that's 200 M nic for an item that is selling for 1.2M just sitting dead in the market)

Arga wrote:

Market prcing, availability and the difficulty of obtaining higher level kernels at this point is all guessing and speculation.

This is incorrect for the arguments that I have posted. I have very accurate figures of how many kernels can be obtained not only from a single corporation of a similar size and structure to M2S, but also an alliance, the market and from various deals that could be made with other players and corporations.

Whilst I won't reveal these figures as they took a significant amount of effort to collect and would most certainly be useful in planning out your own technology tree you can rest assured that my arguments are by no means speculation. Of course you have to take my word on this however I will note that the 'image' and 'reputation' of my corporation aside I have made a point of being honest and sticking to my word as the CEO of M2S for what that may be worth.

I play in a 3 man corporation and developing a tech tree was a big thing to get for us. Now it just got 50% harder. Actualy 100% harder? Noone is going to sell the kernels since they will be rare. Also hard to get, unlike the NIC that is super easy to get, and now you also make it farming kernels.
In the end I got way too much NIC and way to little kernels.
Oh but you can buy kernels -> again who will sell them? Kernel farmers? They got NIC no need for NIC, and why give your opposition the advantage?.....
Do you see the circular thing here?

I agree with OP, revert drop rate mayb no back to 100% but if u ask me i dont think we had a significant issue with Kernels; the where hard to get and expensive, unless you are a dedicated 100+ players corp, in which case no matter how hard and grindy you make it they will still cut through your grind like butter.
Mayb Kernel thing was not perfect BUT changes like this in a long term MMORPG 6months from launch alrrdy,  promote imo the possible imbalance betwen the megasheep corps and medium-independent industrialists even more.
Devs need to slow game for those who completed the game no for those who are way behind lol, or gap will just increase.
Every game the same; we have a very vocal group of professional players who never get enough satisfaction, and some devs allways fall keeping up with this ppls desires or idea of their game; in the meantime paying customers with same rights but less time get screwed and loled; pls get back to real.
ty 4 ur time:D