Re: The Truth behind Insurance Fraud - Dev. Misconduct & Player Injustice

-75 posts and counting, good night.

Let us all assume that Styx et. al. is right and the DEVs are wrong on every single point.

We all picturing that in our minds? Good.

Now, here's a question:

Why the hell are you posting in the forums in this manner and what reaction do you expect from the playerbase at large?

The battle lines seem fairly clear and have been hashed out here and on other sites. Instead of all the posturing, why are you telling me any of this?

As a player, i don't care. At all. This 'event' had zero effect on me or what i do. Could it have affected others? Sure. But then what do you expect them to do about it?

If you want to convince the DEVs to change/modify their outlook or enact certain things in the future to prevent this, then tell them in private messages. i don't want to read your conversations meant for specific people anymore than i want to hear some 12 year old on the T talking to their BFF two cars down on their igotthisfrommydaddyPhone.

If you want the playerbase to do something, such as suggest changes, sign a petition, mail a bag of poo to your Valentine, then make that point. But don't simply use the forums as a group therapy session. Thats been going on long enough in here.

I honestly have no clue what goal yer shooting for here, less posturing and more coherent points of why anyone should read this crap would be helpful for future forum communications. Seeing the history of the forums, however, i expect little positive change and more of this in the future.

Rattletrap

Rattletrap wrote:

If you want to convince the DEVs to change/modify their outlook or enact certain things in the future to prevent this, then tell them in private messages.
Rattletrap

I think that is part of it.

Rather then the DEVs sending notices to the corps ceo's or players that got their wallets drained, they just went and did it and then explain what they did on their public dev blog and then named those corps.

I could be wrong, but the people I know in game that were affected by this did not get a PM/email or anything. They learned about the details from the dev blog.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

By now it should be clear that the worst mistake the devs made was to explain their actions.

When they simply could have banned outright, they instead admitted some culpability in a flawed system, and took punitive action to correct the situation. Their error was not in making a flawed system, but in giving the fraudulent players a second chance.

And this is what happens:

• We get page after page of self-serving nonsense- they really were only looking out for the game;

• We get faux indignation at 'unprofessional' treatment- the patent unfairness of imaginary actions;

• We get hairsplitting- I'm not guilty if I told you about it earlier but still took advantage of it;

• We get egotistic posturing masquerading as 'facts'- the people who spent 'months' working hand-in-hand with the developers, all for the greater good (because M2S care about you, Mr. player), admit to defrauding the game and the community, and yet are shocked- indeed, mortally wounded, that we 'unfairly' refuse to believe them

I find it amazing that people who have fraps of every battle, recordings of voice chat, and plenty of chat logs– people who, after every battle, run to the forums to turn their losses into wins, who post whatever snippet of chat they can find– are unable to find a single clear record of these 'months' of 'serious conversation' with the developers.

I also find it amazing that these same children persist in the "but we pointed it out" argument- as if telling the developers that there was a problem somehow gave them the right to exploit that problem when it was not immediately fixed. It doesn't: even if they were able to produce proof of this imaginary discussion, it would in no way absolve them.

The only 'truth' to be found here is that the members of these fraudulent corps have the same profound sense of entitlement as an eight year-old. It's the same brazen selfishness that lets them demand a response when they deserve none. It's the same massive ego that, upon getting said response, attack it as 'unprofessional' and 'unreasonable.'

And somewhere, just like children, they hope that amidst all the words and shouting, we'll lose track of the fundamental point: You did it, you admitted it, and you deserve much more than you got. You should be considering yourselves lucky, but you want to take that reprieve from the executioner's block and turn it into the keys of the kingdom.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Savin's outrage tears are the best tears...besides, this is so yesterday, man up and move on.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

I could be wrong, but the people I know in game that were affected by this did not get a PM/email or anything. They learned about the details from the dev blog.

-A message to the corps may have saved us from this forum mess, i dunno. But i do prefer that stuff in private at first, then a measured public response to the playerbase instead of knee-jerk instant messages/twitters/forums posts back and forth. I don't necessarily either side is in the right or in the wrong, i just want folks to not handle it this way again on both sides in terms of the communication during and after the event.

Similar to when my co-workers hit "reply all" and send a message that really should only go to one person to the whole office...then everyone else chimes in...annoying.

Good journey.

Rattletrap

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Savin's outrage tears are the best tears...besides, this is so yesterday, man up and move on.

Outrage? Hardly- no harm was done to anyone, so there's no reason for anger. But I do have many reactions to all of this:

• Disgust is the first, that you, who claim to be wise and mature, are a cheat.

• Disappointment that you were too scared to play, instead hiding behind tired old clichés because I've already proven you a liar, fraud, and idiot point-for-point, and you know I can do it again whenever I wish.

• And more than anything else, absolute hilarity, knowing that you want to move on because you can't escape the fact that you're guilty, and that it's going to take a long, long, time for the self-proclaimed "bad boys" to be anything other than a laughing stock.

Oh, and as for "manning up"- if you were, you wouldn't be squirting your excuses all over the forums and feigning outrage at 'unprofessionalism'- as if you'd ever encountered professionalism outside a dictionary.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

We had a (hopefully last) discussion about this on TS, and this is what came out of it.

One of the problems is that what we've had from the devs is an emotional response, not a logical one, or one that is appropriate for community management.

They thought their game had been spoiled by the actions of some players, so their first response was to tell those players off for being naughty, and take away some of their toys. They named corps involved in their blog because they were shocked by previous, completely unfounded, accusations of favouritism and wanted to prove they weren't favouring anyone.

There is some very good advice in this thread on community management, I hope the devs take it next time.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Campana wrote:

We had a (hopefully last) discussion about this on TS, and this is what came out of it.

Who's "we"?

In all seriousness, were devs involved, and do they share these conclusions?

84 (edited by Wraithbane 2011-02-18 04:40:30)

Well... This has all been rather "interesting"... Take a indy company on their first game, mix in people with a LONG history of "evading" the rules, and exploiting what ever they can to their advantage, and one gets a nasty mess such as we have just experienced.  Not to mention that many of those involved are long known prima donna's from a certain other game... ^^

Could the Dev's have handled this better? Of course, but lack of experience and I suspect lack of internal consenus, makes things take more time and also lack the focus that they should have had.  But unlike many game companies, they didn't just perma ban those involved, but took a more measured, even handed approach. Though given some of the hysterics we've seen, I'm betting that they wish they'd have just started laying about with their mighty ban hammer of doom. ^^

In any event, I'm hoping they have learned some useful lessons from this, and can use them for when future situations require that they take action.  Given how these things work, and the people involved, I doubt this will be the last such situation... wink

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Indeed, Wraith, quite interesting. As I stated earlier, one of the clearest lessons to be learned is that you can't be measured and even-handed with some people- they'll take it as a sign of weakness and scream about how they've been mistreated.

But then, that's what children do. While the whole episode has been quite amusing, I am disappointed- I had respect for some of these people, but that's rapidly slipping away with each new rationalization.

Frankly, it comes at a bad time, too. With fewer people logging in, this sort of problem can only discourage new players.

Dromsex wrote:

Thats the reason why normally such exploiting behaviour results in an instant and permanent ban.
Its not enough to exploit the game, but also countless gibberish argumentations follow.

THB what I've gleaned from all of this is that insurance fraud should be a legal action within the boundaries of the game, but should be 'nerfed' so it is not quite as profitable as it previously was.  It is a form of income just like farming NPCs.  You are primarily spending game time producing these items (assuming the materials are bought, the least time consuming way but less profit margin) to get the end NIC which is all well and good.  The bad part was it was more NIC than pretty much any other course of action in the game, and could be done so with minimal effort or risk.

Any comparisons between here and EvE really dont go well, because EvE's economy is alive and well, where as theres no way for Perpetuum's economy to support so many bots being produced.  You may have been better off selling such vessels in EvE for the marginal higher profits, but here theres no chance you'd ever sell that many.

I really do feel its a legitimate course of action to take, but the insurance NEEDS to have better regulation in order for it to not be continually exploited.  Remember, exploitation doesn't have to have a negative connotation attached to it, so don't rush to negative conclusions every time you hear that.  In fact, you're exploiting minerals from the ground, exploiting the fact that NPC's respawn at a fixed rate and you can easily overpower them for their loot, and exploiting teleports for their instant safety.

->You just lost The Game<-

Well put Neoxx. +1

And now for something entirely different....

Back to game play. See you in game! smile

--- END OF LINE ---

Move along nothing to see here any longer.

I said move along.......!

I keep trying to get last post ... *crosses fingers*

Nice to have you back, Neoxx.

Making insurance fraud 'legal' is an interesting idea, but I think the Perp economy would need to be more complex than it is currently- mainly, the eternal NIC spigot would need to be turned off. Turning off the spigot, and making a corp's borrowing power dependent on things like its credit history and net worth would go a long way towards creating a self-policing insurance system.

It's an interesting idea, but I wonder if the devs' vision includes such depth- the recent changes make me think it does not.

Also, I think you're exploiting the difference between different meanings of 'exploit': one meaning is to make good use of, as in exploiting minerals or exploiting respawn times. The other is to take advantage of something in an unfair manner, which is what the members of your corp did.

Gremrod wrote:

And now for something entirely different....

Back to game play. See you in game! smile

--- END OF LINE ---

Move along nothing to see here any longer.!

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. big_smile

If you guys really did want it to fade into the background, perhaps you should have persuaded Styx to avoid starting such a self-serving thread, and taking his well-earned lumps instead. wink

Thank you all for your input, we are all richer for the experience.