1 (edited by Styx 2011-02-17 02:26:32)

Topic: The Truth behind Insurance Fraud - Dev. Misconduct & Player Injustice

The Massviely interview can be found here.

A copy of this post can be found on Infestation forums here.

------------------------------------------

Like all good stories the tale of insurance fraud has a beginning middle and an end. Although the end is still happening I’ll write what has happened so far.

Lets Start at the Beginning - We Told You So

We start with a quote from the login screen of Perpetuum, added on February 13th. “Today’s database maintenance was necessary to solve recently discovered insurance fraud”. Insurance was implemented during Closed Beta on the 11th June 2010. Before the insurance system was implemented there were around two weeks of planning, design and development. During these two weeks Gremrod and I had lengthy conversations with the lead and other developers in private chats and on IRC explaining why the proposed insurance system would not work as intended, the biggest flaw being insurance fraud. When we asked whether insurance fraud would be an allowed aspect of the game we were told that it would be, by the lead developer.

We discussed the issue of insurance fraud at length with the developers explaining in great detail how it worked and how it could be countered. After a week of multiple hour long conversations with a number of Developers, Gremrod and I both came to the recommendation that the insurance system should simply not be implemented. And we stand by that today. We did as much as we humanly could to make the developers aware of the many issues with insurance and there is no possibility that they were not aware of insurance fraud and the many more issues surrounding it during the planning stages of this feature. However they still insisted on its implementation and that insurance fraud would be an allowed aspect of this feature.

Therefore the statement that insurance fraud is a recently discovered issue is a down right lie. This issue was not recently discovered, it was in fact known about before the insurance system was implemented over 8 months ago!

Let the Fraud Begin

Fast forward 6 months and we are roughly 3 weeks into Perpetuums release and Menace To Society is about to begin its insurance fraud operation. Before we intentionally blow up the first robot for its insurance payout we ask multiple GM’s numerous times as well as the lead developer once again as to whether this was a legitimate game mechanic that was allowed to be used in the manner in which we were using it. The responses we got varied from “It’s allowed” to it’s “Not an exploit”.

Assured by the responses we received that this was not against any rules and we would not be punished for partaking in this activity we began our insurance fraud operation.

After we blow up our first batch of robots we buy more minerals which we funnel into the existing production character and another that we’ve added whose sole purpose it to produce robots to insurance fraud. As each batch of robots is blown up we buy ever increasing amounts of minerals, some of which we use to add another two production characters to the operation as well as supplying the existing ones. We’ve now got 4 characters producing robots around the clock, just for insurance fraud. We’ve quadrupled our maximum capacity from when we first started.

At our peak M2S was responsible for cycling multiple billions of NIC through the market each week purchasing minerals, commodities and decoders. We were without a doubt a significant helping hand to the Perpetuum economy during its early days providing it with the NIC it desperately needed in order to grow at the pace which was required for all starting economies.

Pants on the Head *** Day

Over two months later from when we first started our operation we arrive at February 13th. I attempt to log in, the server is down. An hour or so later someone mentions on TeamSpeak that there is a new developer blog, which they link. I click the link and read it in shear disbelief.

I first logged into my main account, Styx. I checked the balance. I had 1 NIC. I checked the corporation wallet, it was empty. I then proceeded to check my alternate characters, all of whose balances were at zero. Just my characters alone were hit for over 1b NIC. This makes the following quote from the developer blog blatant misinformation due to the context in which it was written “During the server downtime today we have removed a sum of close to 1 billion NIC from numerous private and corporate wallets”. All of my characters were in M2S and they were cumulatively hit for over 1b NIC.

After an initial damage assessment of just how much NIC was stolen the figure easily totals more than 2b NIC from M2S alone. Although it has been subsequently edited it was originally written in the blog that “No corporation had a sum greater than 1b NIC removed”. The developers are lying about the real NIC amounts removed or I’m entitled to have what was actually taken sent back up to what they’re publicly admitting. If you were to factor in the opportunity cost of the robots we hadn’t yet blown up but were planning on the 2b NIC figure is paled in comparison.

Inconsistencies

The developer blog on insurance fraud has an image on which is written “Bad Market Average – Good Market Average = Not Yours”. This quite clearly insinuates that the whole reason for the NIC removal was because of “Bad” market averages. It is also stated that “The difference of these two values is the falsely gained money, their "profit". This is what we had to take away”.

This is another lie. Menace To Society was the largest perpetrator of insurance fraud and as a result we have intricate knowledge of all things surrounding it. I can say with absolute certainty that the market averages for assaults bots and under were not manipulated in any way shape or form by M2S and they were not successfully manipulated by any other player. This is because I kept I very close eye on insurance payouts and robot sale prices and the two did not alter by any significant amount during the whole period of insurance fraud. Robot prices and insurance prices were stable and closely linked.

Using this knowledge I can say that the reason for the NIC removal was a lie and a farce. It was made up for propaganda. The real reasons the developers only know. Was it because M2S was making too much money? Gaining too much of a competitive advantage? The actions Avatar Creations have taken against us specifically make us feel we have a target painted on our backs. They were more than willing to shoot us down regardless of the reason, whether legitimate or not.

Victims of Association

One of the main points regarding the insurance NIC removal was that it was controlled, procedural and only the corporations and players whom the developers deemed guilty had NIC removed. However this is yet another blatant lie. There were 6 corporations in Infestation alliance. 3 of which never had anything at all to do with insurance fraud. They never attempted to manipulate market prices, they never blew up an insurance fraud robot, and they never insured a robot to fraud themselves however because they were part of Infestation alliance they had their corporation accounts zeroed. They were victims of association. So how does a procedural and controlled system whose job it is to remove only the NIC that was gained by insurance make such a mistake. It’s simple, there was no procedural system. The developers went through every corporation wallet in our alliance and zeroed it, not even checking the logs. They assumed they were guilty with no evidence at all and enforced punishment. What. A. Farce.

The people who participated most in the activity didn't have their accounts zeroed first, the developers went straight for those with higher (unrelated to insurance payout) balances, who had had much less involvement. This presents a much different situation than what has been described by the developers.

Similarly players in M2S who had nothing to do with insurance had their personal wallets zeroed. People who had only recently joined the corporation. The Developers were like overzealous bureaucrats in the sense that they had a quota to fill and they did not care in the slightest who filled it. You were guilty until proven innocent, but only if the quota was filled otherwise you stayed guilty.

Unprofessionalism & Developer Misconduct – Naming, Shaming & Personal Attacks

The first significant unprofessional move to be made by the Avatar Creations development team was to name and shame those who partook in insurance fraud. Almost unheard of in the gaming industry Avatar Creations partook in the activity “defamation of character”. Legally seen as libel in some countries Avatar Creations proved to the world that they are not a professional outfit operating on basic morals and principals expected in such an environment.

We then have the 1 NIC that was left in my main account, Styx. Every single account that had their wallet zeroed was left with just that, zero. However the development team had the audacity to leave 1 NIC in my personal wallet as a “two fingers” up to me, a paying customer of their game who has not broken any rules. This is quite clearly a personal attack and a disgraceful move by such a company.

To Summarize

The developers were warned 8 months ago before the put the mechanic into the game, they knew it was happening once it was in the game and reassured us that there is nothing wrong with it. Now they suddenly turn around, wipe NIC off accounts almost at random (later admitting to having punished the wrong people) and point fingers at the very same people who have been telling them about this issue the entire time and who they confirmed to that it’s ok. If that wasn’t enough they then personally attack a paying customer and partake in defamation of character.

Ending Notes

This is less about the insurance system itself but the absolute farce in which it was handled. Personal attacks, unprofessionalism, guilty until proven innocent, naming and shaming, inconsistencies, lies and misinformation form only the tip of ice berg in regards to the number of problems which have arisen throughout this situation. Lessons need to be learnt by the developments team and fast. I want this game to succeed on its merits, but not at all if these type of actions are to be repeated in the future.

Styx
CEO of M2S, Leader of Infestation Alliance

Re: The Truth behind Insurance Fraud - Dev. Misconduct & Player Injustice

Old news is old.
What I want to know is if the Devs will in future just shut down services when they're abused. It was a bad response to a terrible mechanic.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Requesting Sticky for this thread. cool

The Game

3 (edited by BigCountry 2011-02-17 02:46:31)

Alexander wrote:

It was a bad response to a terrible mechanic.

Indeed. I would have rather seen NIC refunded to everyone who did not have insurance (who have lost bots over the last few months to PvP) than something like this.

That at least motivates people to climb into robots to PvP, which is what the game drastically needs at the moment.

BigCountry wrote:
Alexander wrote:

It was a bad response to a terrible mechanic.

Indeed. I would have rather seen NIC refunded to players who did not have insurance (who have lost bots over the last few months) than something like this.

That at least motivates people to climb into robots to PvP, which is what the game drastically needs at the moment.

They did! But then they took it away again..

The Game

At the moment the biggest problem in Perpetuum is the perpetual lack of PVP compared to how it was when insurance was still available. It's scaring away the Alpha corporations from PVPing, and its dulling the game for everyone.

Natural course to rectify this would be a server-wide war, which usually results in a lot of people ragequitting from the game.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

6 (edited by Annihilator 2011-02-17 03:07:40)

Server will go offline for a small patch on February 17th at 12:00 CET.

lets see what it brings

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Alexander wrote:

Old news is old.
What I want to know is if the Devs will in future just shut down services when they're abused. It was a bad response to a terrible mechanic.

They made a big error in being to "nice" and just removing nic from people who exploited to the levels listed in the first post.

Should of TERMINATED those accounts, deleted all the material gains...

8 (edited by Campana 2011-02-17 03:38:35)

I'm guessing the devs didn't care when told about it before because they thought it wouldn't make much difference. And then when they woke up and saw the billions of NIC generated from it, they had a major "oh sh*t" moment.

Clearly it wasn't an "exploit" until it became a major NIC faucet, and the only way they could think of to handle it was to label it as one.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

9 (edited by Drahkar 2011-02-17 03:28:31)

DaOpa wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Old news is old.

They made a big error in being to "nice" and just removing nic from people who exploited to the levels listed in the first post.

Should of TERMINATED those accounts, deleted all the material gains...

All 0 people who exploited? Of those people, some were in your corporation.

I wonder why no one in Infestation is branding AXE or Norhoop Alliance as cheaters. I guess we're more mature and honest than that, oh the irony. Actually we may just not be that desperate and low.

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

(Note: although I am the poster, the answers below are not necessarily written by me personally.)

Styx, although this starts to feel really pointless since apparently you just ignore everything we reply to you and just continue to live in your bitter bubble, we make one last effort to respond to this issue.

Styx wrote:

We start with a quote from the login screen of Perpetuum, added on February 13th. “Today’s database maintenance was necessary to solve recently discovered insurance fraud”. Insurance was implemented during Closed Beta on the 11th June 2010. Before the insurance system was implemented there were around two weeks of planning, design and development. During these two weeks Gremrod and I had lengthy conversations with the lead and other developers in private chats and on IRC explaining why the proposed insurance system would not work as intended, the biggest flaw being insurance fraud. When we asked whether insurance fraud would be an allowed aspect of the game we were told that it would be, by the lead developer.

Fact: you still haven’t contacted us with any proof whatsoever that a DEV told you that insurance fraud was allowed. No wonder really, because that didn't happen.

The fact that insurance was implemented on the 11th June 2010 has nothing to do with the frauds itself, since (according to the logs that we have now), those started only mid-December, with the VAST majority of them happening only RECENTLY, in the end of January 2011 - that is also why we have only noticed them so late. Up until then we were convinced that it was working as we intended it to be.

I say again for the umpteenth time: we never said it was not our fault, because it was. But certainly not in a way you want to make it seem so eagerly.

You do not know why the insurance system did not work. It did not work, because a piece of another market mechanic was left in it, which was supposed to raise the NPC sell order prices to have items available, but not to ever compete with players. This mechanic pushed the average price - the basis for the insurance calculations - above what it should have been. If we must categorize it, it was a bug.

You never asked if you could make insurance fraud your primary function within the game, please do not suggest that DEV Crm gave you permission for this.

Styx wrote:

We discussed the issue of insurance fraud at length with the developers explaining in great detail how it worked and how it could be countered. After a week of multiple hour long conversations with a number of Developers, Gremrod and I both came to the recommendation that the insurance system should simply not be implemented. And we stand by that today. We did as much as we humanly could to make the developers aware of the many issues with insurance and there is no possibility that they were not aware of insurance fraud and the many more issues surrounding it during the planning stages of this feature. However they still insisted on its implementation and that insurance fraud would be an allowed aspect of this feature.

Again, we never knew it was calculating the wrong numbers and we still think, that with the right numbers it should work fine, with one addition. The insurance system can not only be used to create funds out of thin air (if it’s faulty), but also to generate an endless demand for a certain robot type. Let's say the average market value is 1 000 000 for a robot, the production cost based on component or mineral market prices is 700 000 and the net insurance payout is 600 000. This would mean you lose 100 000 per robot. IF there was an endless demand for these robots at 700 000.

However, since Perpetuum has a starting market in an MMO, it has way more production power available, than the market has purchasing power. If it didn’t, it would be called real life and would be very very hard to play. Like real life. So the insurance system can be used to convert minerals into NIC even if there is no demand for either minerals or robots on the market. Add your embargo attempts to keep your opponents from using your production capacity against yourself and avoiding the market to distribute equipment within your corporation to the formula, and you end up with neither demand, nor supply for that matter.

This aspect of the insurance system along with the classical fraud from this moment on is considered an exploit, judged and handled on an individual basis, and the penalties will include the termination of any accounts in relation with the organization, execution and income of these actions.

Might we also add, that the moment you stopped doing "everything humanly possible" to enforce your argument against this terrible mechanic was the moment you realized how much money you can make off of it.

Styx wrote:

Therefore the statement that insurance fraud is a recently discovered issue is a down right lie. This issue was not recently discovered, it was in fact known about before the insurance system was implemented over 8 months ago!

All we can say is please do not call us blatant liars. We have been working our *** off, spent long months panicking about the launch and spent months of putting out fires after the launch. We did not realize the importance of this issue, we neglected it and in the light of this, yes, it is our fault that this happened.

Styx wrote:

Let the Fraud Begin
Fast forward 6 months and we are roughly 3 weeks into Perpetuums release and Menace To Society is about to begin its insurance fraud operation. Before we intentionally blow up the first robot for its insurance payout we ask multiple GM’s numerous times as well as the lead developer once again as to whether this was a legitimate game mechanic that was allowed to be used in the manner in which we were using it. The responses we got varied from “It’s allowed” to it’s “Not an exploit”.

Again, this is a fallacy. If you had asked whether you could make this your primary occupation for a month and creating billions of NIC out of thin air, whereby inflating this fledgling economy beyond repair, the answer would have obviously been no. The question was not this detailed however and again we were negligent in the processing of this information, because to us it was just something that consumed precious time without improving the game. Once again, we are sorry. The GMs were probably not even aware what you were talking about.

Our EULA states:
“It is forbidden to use any trick, hack or exploit that allows the player to gain ingame currency, or anything that an ingame monetary value can be assigned to, or any kind of unfair advantage over the other players.

Please see our intent for not labeling this incident as an exploit, even though this agreement would enable us to do so. It was because our motivation was not to punish anyone - in which case the punishment would have been the termination of the involved accounts -, but to fix an anomaly in the economy without any regard to who was responsible for its creation.

Styx wrote:

Assured by the responses we received that this was not against any rules and we would not be punished for partaking in this activity we began our insurance fraud operation.
After we blow up our first batch of robots we buy more minerals which we funnel into the existing production character and another that we’ve added whose sole purpose it to produce robots to insurance fraud. As each batch of robots is blown up we buy ever increasing amounts of minerals, some of which we use to add another two production characters to the operation as well as supplying the existing ones. We’ve now got 4 characters producing robots around the clock, just for insurance fraud. We’ve quadrupled our maximum capacity from when we first started.

Instead of telling us how crap our system is for the 100th time. You were so zealous to use our negligent words as a cover, that you even forgot the best excuse. If it is possible and the enemy does it, we will fall behind if we don't do it. You knew you were in the wrong and knew that we weren't aware of the magnitude.

Styx wrote:

At our peak M2S was responsible for cycling multiple billions of NIC through the market each week purchasing minerals, commodities and decoders. We were without a doubt a significant helping hand to the Perpetuum economy during its early days providing it with the NIC it desperately needed in order to grow at the pace which was required for all starting economies.

You are unfortunately wrong if you think that it helped the market in any way. What it did, was create a secondary bloated market, that had nothing to do with the real economy. The wealth you created with the hyper efficient cash cow project inflated the efforts of everyone involved in the game that did not enjoy being your beneficiaries, as in members or allies. You also cost us two months of market data, that would have allowed us to take measures to improve the balance of the economy.

Styx wrote:

Pants on the Head *** Day
Over two months later from when we first started our operation we arrive at February 13th. I attempt to log in, the server is down. An hour or so later someone mentions on TeamSpeak that there is a new developer blog, which they link. I click the link and read it in shear disbelief.

I first logged into my main account, Styx. I checked the balance. I had 1 NIC. I checked the corporation wallet, it was empty. I then proceeded to check my alternate characters, all of whose balances were at zero. Just my characters alone were hit for over 1b NIC. This makes the following quote from the developer blog blatant misinformation due to the context in which it was written “During the server downtime today we have removed a sum of close to 1 billion NIC from numerous private and corporate wallets”. All of my characters were in M2S and they were cumulatively hit for over 1b NIC.

No you weren't hit for over one billion unless you had individual operations running that we had now way of linking to your corporation. During the whole operation we removed approximately 1 billion from all involved corporations and about 450 million from individuals.

How did we calculate this: Our original idea was to simply take all NIC back and refund the robots. This seemed like a very analog method, that involved no calculations or considerations. However it quickly turned out to be impossible to implement. The main reason for this was that the sum of the whole operation never existed, it was done in multiple turns, no corporation or character account had anything near the numbers we were looking for. So then we had to assess what the manufacturing cost, the mineral cost, the insurance fees and some overheads were and then calculate the amount of NIC that should not have existed in the game.

Please try to understand, that our reason for taking it is by no means disciplinary. We did it to protect the market and we firmly believe that in this we simply had no choice. It was especially difficult - mostly for DEV Crm - to do it at those people's expense who have helped us the most during the development.

Styx wrote:

After an initial damage assessment of just how much NIC was stolen the figure easily totals more than 2b NIC from M2S alone. Although it has been subsequently edited it was originally written in the blog that “No corporation had a sum greater than 1b NIC removed”. The developers are lying about the real NIC amounts removed or I’m entitled to have what was actually taken sent back up to what they’re publicly admitting. If you were to factor in the opportunity cost of the robots we hadn’t yet blown up but were planning on the 2b NIC figure is paled in comparison.

No, we are not lying. And what motive would there be for us to lie about the amount? We could list all names and the exact amounts we removed from you and your corporation here but you would just attack us again for publishing names.

Styx wrote:

Inconsistencies

The developer blog on insurance fraud has an image on which is written “Bad Market Average – Good Market Average = Not Yours”. This quite clearly insinuates that the whole reason for the NIC removal was because of “Bad” market averages. It is also stated that “The difference of these two values is the falsely gained money, their "profit". This is what we had to take away”.
This is another lie. Menace To Society was the largest perpetrator of insurance fraud and as a result we have intricate knowledge of all things surrounding it. I can say with absolute certainty that the market averages for assaults bots and under were not manipulated in any way shape or form by M2S and they were not successfully manipulated by any other player. This is because I kept I very close eye on insurance payouts and robot sale prices and the two did not alter by any significant amount during the whole period of insurance fraud. Robot prices and insurance prices were stable and closely linked.

No, it was our faulty market mechanic that manipulated the prices. We never said it was you. Again, please stop with the lying accusations, it really hurts our feelings.

Styx wrote:

Using this knowledge I can say that the reason for the NIC removal was a lie and a farce. It was made up for propaganda. The real reasons the developers only know. Was it because M2S was making too much money? Gaining too much of a competitive advantage? The actions Avatar Creations have taken against us specifically make us feel we have a target painted on our backs. They were more than willing to shoot us down regardless of the reason, whether legitimate or not.

I gave you the reasons above. If you really felt that we were having some sort of vendetta on you, you would have left a long time ago. Two weeks ago the news was the DEVs are favoring M2S. Are you sure there is absolutely no e-honor involved in your perspective?

Styx wrote:

Victims of Association
One of the main points regarding the insurance NIC removal was that it was controlled, procedural and only the corporations and players whom the developers deemed guilty had NIC removed. However this is yet another blatant lie. There were 6 corporations in Infestation alliance. 3 of which never had anything at all to do with insurance fraud. They never attempted to manipulate market prices, they never blew up an insurance fraud robot, and they never insured a robot to fraud themselves however because they were part of Infestation alliance they had their corporation accounts zeroed. They were victims of association. So how does a procedural and controlled system whose job it is to remove only the NIC that was gained by insurance make such a mistake. It’s simple, there was no procedural system. The developers went through every corporation wallet in our alliance and zeroed it, not even checking the logs. They assumed they were guilty with no evidence at all and enforced punishment. What. A. Farce.
The people who participated most in the activity didn't have their accounts zeroed first, the developers went straight for those with higher (unrelated to insurance payout) balances, who had had much less involvement. This presents a much different situation than what has been described by the developers.

You are wrong, we did track it. We selected all the transactions and sorted them by amount, and started tracking them to where they came from. If there is someone in your corp that you believe did not deserve his NIC taken, why don't you go ahead and compensate them from the wealth you still have because it was taken from them instead of you? There were two individual cases, that approached us discretely and asked for a revision. We looked into them and they did prove to be mistakes.

Styx wrote:

Similarly players in M2S who had nothing to do with insurance had their personal wallets zeroed. People who had only recently joined the corporation. The Developers were like overzealous bureaucrats in the sense that they had a quota to fill and they did not care in the slightest who filled it. You were guilty until proven innocent, but only if the quota was filled otherwise you stayed guilty.

Again, you are wrong, we did track it and it was a very simple task at that. We selected all the transactions and sorted them by amount, and started tracking them to where they came from. (If there is someone in your corp that you believe did not deserve his NIC taken, why don't you go ahead and compensate them from the wealth you still have because it was taken from them instead of you?)

There was one corporate and one individual case, which approached us discretely and asked for a revision. We looked into them and they did prove to be mistakes. Both were taken care of in a very civilized manner.

If you gave your innocent players donations from the fraud that were spent and replaced by mission running money, then yes, we took that without actually looking what tags those NIC had on them.

Styx wrote:

Unprofessionalism & Developer Misconduct – Naming, Shaming & Personal Attacks
The first significant unprofessional move to be made by the Avatar Creations development team was to name and shame those who partook in insurance fraud. Almost unheard of in the gaming industry Avatar Creations partook in the activity “defamation of character”. Legally seen as libel in some countries Avatar Creations proved to the world that they are not a professional outfit operating on basic morals and principals expected in such an environment.
We then have the 1 NIC that was left in my main account, Styx. Every single account that had their wallet zeroed was left with just that, zero. However the development team had the audacity to leave 1 NIC in my personal wallet as a “two fingers” up to me, a paying customer of their game who has not broken any rules. This is quite clearly a personal attack and a disgraceful move by such a company.

There was no disciplinary action against anyone, this was a market balancing operation. There is no shame involved, you do not seem to be ashamed of committing it on the forums. We encourage you not to be ashamed, or at least no more than us. We did not leave 1 NIC on your account. Perpetuum stores the wallet data with up to 6-7? decimals and a round number was removed from everyone. Your leftover balance was simply above 0.4999999 NIC, which rounded up to 1 NIC in the client. Please stop with the paranoia.

Styx wrote:

To Summarize
The developers were warned 8 months ago before the put the mechanic into the game, they knew it was happening once it was in the game and reassured us that there is nothing wrong with it. Now they suddenly turn around, wipe NIC off accounts almost at random (later admitting to having punished the wrong people) and point fingers at the very same people who have been telling them about this issue the entire time and who they confirmed to that it’s ok. If that wasn’t enough they then personally attack a paying customer and partake in defamation of character.

Again, if you thought this was the case for a minute, you would have already left. You want to win this war against us. We do not wish to fight you. If we did, you would have been banned long ago and we would not be putting communication efforts into this case unprecedented within the industry.

Styx wrote:

Ending Notes
This is less about the insurance system itself but the absolute farce in which it was handled. Personal attacks, unprofessionalism, guilty until proven innocent, naming and shaming, inconsistencies, lies and misinformation form only the tip of ice berg in regards to the number of problems which have arisen throughout this situation. Lessons need to be learnt by the developments team and fast. I want this game to succeed on its merits, but not at all if these type of actions are to be repeated in the future.
Styx
CEO of M2S, Leader of Infestation Alliance

You have built a beautiful case, brought it, delivered it. Can we kiss and make up now, so we can start working on developing Perpetuum again? This is all rather time consuming. We are handling this in an unorthodox way within the industry by having this conversation at all. This is because we are an unorthodox team doing an unorthodox thing and we would like to keep it that way. Please start inching our way, so we don’t have to stop and fall in line.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Fact: you still haven’t contacted us with any proof whatsoever that a DEV told you that insurance fraud was allowed. No wonder really, because that didn't happen.

~

Again, please stop with the lying accusations, it really hurts our feelings.

for the love of god lock the thread now

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

13 (edited by nardiana 2011-02-17 07:24:51)

yes, styx and all cheater should stfu because obviously they got their nic removed but not all the they have done with this exploit as stated in the eula, and they took enormous advantage over the player base over the months and still do (who can sell 800 sequer....) no doubt that without all this insta money trick they would not be the "good" pvper they are now
we know now that you are not so good, unfortunatly with all the money you still have from this exploit you will still brag for this title until the money you have accumulated will run out (eventually.....)

and all your apparent effort to help the game as now laughable because it look much more like helping to get more people in a game where you ghave the upper hand because you found how to exploit the system

The Perpetuum Team should do a counter interview on Massively (if it's not undervay already)

let see if you continue to promote the game that now it's no more your own little private farm

I almost feel like being the 'bad child' so I can get some one-on-one dev time! big_smile

Just to clarify though, we are getting insurance back? and Build'n-bash is an exploit, that is converting ORE to NIC by blowing up bots even at a net loss is a no-no?

even if M2S doesn't thank you for responding, I will. You admitted you could have done better, and I will hold you to that if there is another issue.

And I will thank M2S too, maybe just for some cool points.

Insurance is coming back in today's patch, and yes, insurance fraud is officially an exploit from that time on.

16 (edited by Jita 2011-02-17 08:01:51)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Insurance is coming back in today's patch, and yes, insurance fraud is officially an exploit from that time on.

Can you clarify what you consider insurance fraud to be?

to be clear the reason i'm asking is because I dont believe that this was insurance fraud nor do I think that there is a way to consider it an exploit or not.

If you've not fixed the problem with mechanics it will always persist. An arbalast for instance under the previous rules could be bbuilt and fit for around 700k profit when destroyed.

Couple of staged examples.

Corp A has thirty agents and gives each of them five arbalasts with synitec / t1 gear. You then proceed to charge an island of choice dying horribly repeatedly in the process. Do this once a day and you make over three billion a month.

Corp B blows up 150 arbalasts once a day on one character. They make three billion a month.

Corp C has thirty agents and gives each of them five arbalasts. As they blow up through pvp they put the money from that into buying minerals which means that they dont have to mine. They spend the potential three billion in a month on minerals to produce t4 meaning at the end of the month they have saved three billion so they can pvp with high tech gear. In the end they spent nothing.

All of those examples are simplified versions of what was true to life pre patch and all essentially do the same thing for the same advantage.

Any change in insurance that does not directly link the payout on insurance to the mineral completed buy order cost will create a situation exactly the same to a varying degree.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

17 (edited by Arga 2011-02-17 08:38:59)

i don't think the devs need to answer every possible scenerio about fraud.

They know what this looks like now, and they have warned us its an exploit, so if some corp is suddenly getting large daily influxes of NIC repeatedly they can look into it. If the NIC is insurance money, and the pattern looks like fraud, someone's getting banned.

Could someone get away with scamming a few bots now and again, probably, but it takes the cooperation of an entire corp to run it large scale like your scenerios suggest.

I'm sure you can come up with situations that look like fraud, but are legitamate, but not that happen 5 days in a row.

Edit: lets see what the patch brings, they may have 'nerfed' insurance to the point where its not even worth buying.

i think my point is that you cant draw a line. Its just not possible, its all just conjecture and you can do the same thing they did with a little more finesse for the same result and so what got fixed?

All of those scenario's are real life simplified examples of how three different corp economies worked before the patch. Only one of them got the nic took off them.

Thank you for your response.

20 (edited by Campana 2011-02-17 08:52:23)

DEV Zoom wrote:

You never asked if you could make insurance fraud your primary function within the game, please do not suggest that DEV Crm gave you permission for this.

What you're saying here is that the scale of the operation made it an exploit. This is the second time you have said this. Wrong. Something either is an exploit, or it is not, the scale is immaterial. If a game mechanic is used on an industrial scale, and this is harmful for the economy as a whole, don't put it in. If, by some oversight, you have put it in, you can't blame the players for using it.

This game is supposed to be a sandbox with a free market economy, and all the cheating, scheming market pvp tricks that entails. That's why your mechanics and systems must be robust enough to withstand anything the player base can throw at it.

DEV Zoom wrote:

If you had asked whether you could make this your primary occupation for a month and creating billions of NIC out of thin air, whereby inflating this fledgling economy beyond repair

Please provide more information on how this damaged the economy beyond repair. I would like to see it. I suspect that you are exaggerating here.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Please see our intent for not labeling this incident as an exploit [...] It was because our motivation was not to punish anyone - in which case the punishment would have been the termination of the involved accounts -, but to fix an anomaly in the economy without any regard to who was responsible for its creation.

The manner in which this was handled...the tone the blog was written in, the removal of NIC, the corps named in the blog. How else can people react? It came across as an attempt to publically humiliate certain corporations.

Dev Zoom wrote:

You knew [...] knew that we weren't aware of the magnitude.

This is not an excuse to penalise players for using the tools the devs gave them. If it's in, it's in; if it's allowed, it's allowed. If not, declare it an exploit, or don't put it in.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Two weeks ago the news was the DEVs are favoring M2S. Are you sure there is absolutely no e-honor involved in your perspective?

You mentioned previously that you named corps because you wanted to prove that the Dev team are not favouring one corp over another. In my opinion, a dev team should basically ignore these comments. They will be made even if you are the fairest handed dev team in the whole of the universe. Any time there is a new patch, or a moderating decision, or a reaction to some community issue, some portion of the player base will scream that devs are clearly in bed with some other part of the player base. It's as annoying as hell but it's endemic and you can't do anything about it. Just be as fair and professional as you can and don't lower yourself to respond to it.

DEV Zoom wrote:

You are wrong, we did track it. We selected all the transactions and sorted them by amount, and started tracking them to where they came from. [...] There were two individual cases, that approached us discretely and asked for a revision. We looked into them and they did prove to be mistakes.

How come you deducted NIC from corporation wallets that had not ever engaged in insurance fraud? How did this mistake come to be made?

DEV Zoom wrote:

(If there is someone in your corp that you believe did not deserve his NIC taken, why don't you go ahead and compensate them from the wealth you still have because it was taken from them instead of you?)

I don't think this is a worthy comment from a dev. Either NIC should have been taken, or it should not, and if it was, it should have been done so in a fair manner. And we are not convinced that it was.

Also Jita: good post

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

If the bots are being fitted and killed in active pvp engagements i can't see how that would be fraud. That's exactly what insurance is for, to promote that PVP, which is probably why they didn't lose any NIC on this one.

Also, with the reduction in ore since the previous patch, there may no longer be 700k per mech, maybe its only 30 million extra NIC a day for 30 mech... not much considering a std Sensor mask module sells for 4 Million.

What was fixed? Well, the clarification that is IS an exploit and bannable seems like a clear message. If you try, and your 'finese' isn't as good as you thought, you lose a bunch of people to banning. It won't be just 1 person, or maybe it could be just the CEO, but it takes the active particiapation of the large group to generate mass fraud.

Note to corporate members, if your officers are giving you suspect instructions that could be fraud related, its your account that is on the line too.

You can't trade insured bots, so an individual isn't going to perpatrate mass fraud, it has to be done using a corporate infrastructure.

Arga wrote:

If the bots are being fitted and killed in active pvp engagements i can't see how that would be fraud. That's exactly what insurance is for, to promote that PVP, which is probably why they didn't lose any NIC on this one.

Also, with the reduction in ore since the previous patch, there may no longer be 700k per mech, maybe its only 30 million extra NIC a day for 30 mech... not much considering a std Sensor mask module sells for 4 Million.

What was fixed? Well, the clarification that is IS an exploit and bannable seems like a clear message. If you try, and your 'finese' isn't as good as you thought, you lose a bunch of people to banning. It won't be just 1 person, or maybe it could be just the CEO, but it takes the active particiapation of the large group to generate mass fraud.

Note to corporate members, if your officers are giving you suspect instructions that could be fraud related, its your account that is on the line too.

You can't trade insured bots, so an individual isn't going to perpatrate mass fraud, it has to be done using a corporate infrastructure.

Actually you can trade insured bots by corp insuring them and using the corp hangers.

What if a corp fit them with cheap equipment and then fought each other. i'm sure you could destroy a lot that way.

What if i set up two corps, one called red, the other blue and then hired anyones alts for pvp giving them free corp insured fit bots. 500 die a day and i make 10 billion a month.

Maybe i'm not being clear so i'll say it simplyu. If you dont fix the mechanic the players WILL find a way. Its the nature of a sandbox.

hell if i want to lose 100 bots in around two and a half hours all i have to do is fc an intrusion ... i'll be rich!

lol.. and that would be Fun for everyone big_smile win win!

Don't be surprised to see Infestation show up in sequars tooled up for war... the battle to lose bots has begun!

Like I said, I'm sure you can come up with any number of scenerios, but we havn't seen the new insurance values yet. There may not be a worthwile profit in blowing up bots anymore.

Jita wrote:

Actually you can trade insured bots by corp insuring them and using the corp hangers.

arga wrote:

it has to be done using a corporate infrastructure.