Re: Insurance action

Dromsex wrote:

They should ban all you guys right away.

Dromsex wrote:

Im not refering to anyone in specific - but the ones trying to spin things around that are clear since beta.

Yeah, ban all of them, but noone specifically!!

Annihilator said: Walking careless onto hokko without masking is like jumping into a bathtub with the hungry 30cm piranhas (infestation)
GLiMPSE™'s CoolPoints™ Leaderboard

... wait...

I don't understand how banning 30-40% of the current player base would be good for the game; remember it wasn't just any one alliance or any one corp, there were many people that did this. Zoom only posted a few of the corp names of the biggest winners, but they would have to ban EVERYONE that did this if they banned anyone.

Please stop calling for bans, not that the devs would do it, it just looks like you don't care about the survival of the game. neutral

178 (edited by Dromsex 2011-02-14 23:19:24)

The game is always better of with less players, but people who dont exploit. The thing is - they wont stop - i know some of these guys from other games - and they did it in Neocron and MO - and *** up markets or the game in general.

Dromsex wrote:

The game is always better of with less players, but people who dont exploit.

Here's something I don't understand in all of this. Either people have severe reading comprehension problems, or they're willfully ignoring a crucial part of this situation.

Many players have specifically said that the Devs were not only aware of the problem, but told the players who reported it that it was an acceptable action. If you have Devs condoning an action, how can it be considered an exploit?

180 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-02-14 23:20:00)

Dromsex wrote:

Im not refering to anyone in specific - but the ones trying to spin things around that are clear since beta.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over, and never acknowledge the facts and data being presented, other than to refer to bits out of contextual reference.

Last I checked, that is the definition of spin.

The FACTS reman that the DEVs mis-represented that not only were they aware of it, but also stated that it was acceptable to perform, then pulled a 180 and retroactively punished people based on spurious associations, and with a less than thorough investigation, and published a parial list of who, instead of the whole list, which makes it appear to be targeting specific entities for them to blame.

It was not objective, factual, or thorough, and was extremely unprofessional in it's execution.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Because its not true. It was an open secret since beta - and DEVs said to not spread the info and keep usage to a minimum.

Mmmm.

getting last post is going to be more difficult than I anticpated.

I'm going to have to leave it up to Glimpse.

/fail at forum pvp

183 (edited by Saha 2011-02-14 23:29:35)

Dromsex wrote:

The game is always better of with less players, but people who dont exploit. The thing is - they wont stop - i know some of these guys from other games - and they did it in Neocron and MO - and *** up markets or the game in general.

Ohh, self righteous hero who has grudges from the past. Since I've never bothered with Neocron, who/which clan you was on MO? Wonder if you'll have the balls to answer, since in MO 0 clans of any significance had clean hands. Starting with Myrms dupped cronite back in beta, to Prophepcy dupes, CIRs pocket HCs, continuing to Bizzies gold and ghost boulders, to AQ/Reign duppes to TOP molvas. Yes, my own is in that list as well. Hopefully I will not have to break ELUA signed with SV back in the days to point a finger at you.

184 (edited by Campana 2011-02-14 23:32:33)

Dromsex wrote:

Because its not true. It was an open secret since beta - and DEVs said to not spread the info and keep usage to a minimum.

Truly?

So what you're saying is that the devs knew about it, and not only didn't fix it but also condoned it for a limited number of players.

That's incredible. It's...beyond naive.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

I'm sorry I couldn't read through all of this, I'd just like to react to one serious misinformation that's floating around here, namely that we sanctioned insurance frauds.

Since all my information is based on what I know versus what you are stating here, I'm kinda stumbling in the dark.

First off, I don't know which one of us DEVs said that "yes, please go ahead and exploit the insurance system and ruin the economy", but please provide any log or at least something because if this is true I'd like to have a serious "WTF WERE YOU THINKING!?"-talk with him.

Secondly - and this is more likely - some players probably asked DEVs or GMs whether insurance was considered an exploit. And they probably said no because at that time we were not aware of the extent of the money that one could make with frauds.

In my eyes, telling "yes you can use insurance for what it was meant for" is nowhere the same as "yes you can use insurance and exploit it to make billions".

Again, at that time we were not aware of the size of this problem. And if players came to us being well aware that they can make that amounts of money with it, asking only "Oh hi DEV, is insurance an exploit? - Umm, no, why would it be? - Ooh nuffin', just askin', carry on... *blows up 50 robots*"... then well, that would be disappointing.

Also, we never said it wasn't our fault too, that's one of the reasons we didn't start banning. But I'd like to kindly ask those running around screaming "It was the DEVs fault!!" - what do you expect from us? That we give back the fraud money and pat your backs with "We're sorry, carry on destroying the game."...?

186 (edited by Saha 2011-02-14 23:48:00)

DEV Zoom wrote:

First off, I don't know which one of us DEVs said that "yes, please go ahead and exploit the insurance system and ruin the economy", but please provide any log or at least something because if this is true I'd like to have a serious "WTF WERE YOU THINKING!?"-talk with him.

rule #14 wrote:

Do not openly discuss actions taken by the forum moderators or correspondence with GMs or DEVs. They are to be settled only between the offender and the Perpetuum team.

No.

DEV Zoom wrote:

But I'd like to kindly ask those running around screaming "It was the DEVs fault!!" - what do you expect from us? That we give back the fraud money and pat your backs with "We're sorry, carry on destroying the game."...?

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/18740/#p18740 (t4 storage was a misunderstanding which was cleared later on that night with the Dev, so sorry for rude words for that)
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/18760/#p18760
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/18845/#p18845
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/19029/#p19029

*sigh* in private, obviously.

DEV Zoom wrote:

what do you expect from us?

That post, feedback.

Thanks, I can now let go of the need to be last post.. but if you lock the thread after this I wouldn't complain smile

Haha Saha.

Ok, thanks Dev. So in light of their assessment of responsibility shared, and the corrections they have meted out ... perhaps the baying mob can move on to wail about something else?

Annihilator said: Walking careless onto hokko without masking is like jumping into a bathtub with the hungry 30cm piranhas (infestation)
GLiMPSE™'s CoolPoints™ Leaderboard

DEV Zoom wrote:

Again, at that time we were not aware of the size of this problem. And if players came to us being well aware that they can make that amounts of money with it, asking only "Oh hi DEV, is insurance an exploit? - Umm, no, why would it be? - Ooh nuffin', just askin', carry on... *blows up 50 robots*"... then well, that would be disappointing.

Player feedback on this was consistent about how it would be exploited. Anything that can be exploited can be done so on an industrial scale. Please take this as a lesson in future to manage game mechanics better.

Also, we never said it wasn't our fault too, that's one of the reasons we didn't start banning. But I'd like to kindly ask those running around screaming "It was the DEVs fault!!" - what do you expect from us? That we give back the fraud money and pat your backs with "We're sorry, carry on destroying the game."...?

We would have expected you to listen to the player feedback about how it could be exploited. You have some experts out there. Don't ignore them.

Second, if a game mechanic gets out of control...fix the game mechanic asap. Don't retroactively declare something an exploit. MMORPGs are full of soft exploits, i.e. mechanics used in ways not originally forseen by the devs. You practically can't introduce a mechanic without this happening in some form or another.

Third, don't put up partial lists of those at fault. For a start, you might be wrong (as you were with GG) and label someone an exploiter who isn't. Additionally, it's a very bad and unprofessional way to treat customers - devs should not be encouraging that sort of witch hunting attitude.

Bernard Suits, 1978

191 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-02-14 23:56:48)

DEV Zoom wrote:

what do you expect from us?

I think a 30-day time code may be in order -- awarded to all members of the corps named in your blog post for their troubles and the libel issues presented in your selective generalized representation of the perpetrators.

Thanks.

Campana, we have learnt much from this I can assure you.

I'd only like to reply to this if you don't mind:

Campana wrote:

Third, don't put up partial lists of those at fault. For a start, you might be wrong (as you were with GG) and label someone an exploiter who isn't. Additionally, it's a very bad and unprofessional way to treat customers - devs should not be encouraging that sort of witch hunting attitude.

I'm afraid neither case would have been a good solution. By the time we got to know about the situation, rumor was already spreading that "it was M2S again". Given our past, the conspiracy theories of DEVs favoring M2S, not publishing any names would have started even more conspiracy theories, people would have demanded names, and probably would have even had doubts whether we took the money away. And the reason we couldn't publish every name is because they were too many and their part was infinitesimal compared to the "big dogs".

Eh. Regardless everyone would blame M2S; server bad guys and all smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'm afraid neither case would have been a good solution. By the time we got to know about the situation, rumor was already spreading that "it was M2S again". Given our past, the conspiracy theories of DEVs favoring M2S, not publishing any names would have started even more conspiracy theories, people would have demanded names, and probably would have even had doubts whether we took the money away. And the reason we couldn't publish every name is because they were too many and their part was infinitesimal compared to the "big dogs".

This is true. I hate seeing these conspiracy theories invent themselves and spiral out of control, it's one of the worst parts of having to deal with a community. You have my sympathy there.

I still think "no naming" would be a good policy to implement in future, it's pretty standard practice for a lot of good reasons.

Bernard Suits, 1978

195 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-02-15 00:42:06)

Campana wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

This is true. I hate seeing these conspiracy theories invent themselves and spiral out of control, it's one of the worst parts of having to deal with a community. You have my sympathy there.

I still think "no naming" would be a good policy to implement in future, it's pretty standard practice for a lot of good reasons.

I empathize as well with the need to quell the tin foil brigade. However, you've set a dangerous precedent for future issues by now trying to make excuses for yourself for your mistake and unprofessionalism.

TBH, you should have continued to not acknowledge those accusations as it's not really your place as developers to do so... especially when so unfounded.

Off to the rumor mill to start the tinfoil hats about the Dev's involvment on norhoop and dom.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Campana, we have learnt much from this I can assure you.

I'd only like to reply to this if you don't mind:

Campana wrote:

tbh i'd like a full list of every person and every corp wallet myself. Be good to know what kind of folks were doing it and where.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

197 (edited by Arga 2011-02-15 00:53:48)

In order to release a full list, they would also have to release the exact criteria they used to determine if someone was Frauding.

For instance, when we were at HHO, one of our players bought a mech off the market insured it and started to drive it to HHO... where he promptly got pwned by the NPC swarm off HHS and died.

This would certainly look like fraud, since he had no modules other than a lwf, and the bot died shortly after purchase.... but if you look at the cost vs. payout I'm sure he lost NIC since he didn't get any discount on either the bot or the insurance.

Edit: So there wasn't any false allegations for border line offenders on the 'full list'

Zoom.
The developers were made aware of the situation before the feature was even fully implemented. I was assured by Dev CRM that price inflation was impossible with the checks he had in place. (In general chat and private chat in-game on one of those rare occasions he logged in).

Forum posts were made and buried. Devs were told that exploiting was possible and no warnings, suggestions or even acceptance of the matter were given.
Whoever designed the mechanic should have seen the flaw but apparently they saw nothing.
Days before the insurance was stopped we talked to Devs and yet again still no warnings, no one telling us it was a "cheat" of the system. Granted it did seem like a stupid mechanic but we were even told to keep it under wraps and not tell anyone.

Special treatment is wrong. I don't want to be treated special for finding an exploit. I want the broken mechanic to be fixed the MOMENT it's reported. You said yourself that you were too late to in halting the issue but the issue's been in the game since July 2010. (Yup.. That long ago)..

The Game

199 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-02-15 02:04:27)

Well, after my statement yesterday, about Mancs, after a long convo, agreeing that I was correct and that the NIC i had was legitimately earned, turned around today and arbitrarily removed it again, after a 2 hour convo trying to show that even though I had not personally earned NIC or advantage thru this, because of my association to the corp and the activity, i was guilty.

Of course, he proceeded to remove that NIC again.  Trolls, have your fun, I know the "Umads?" are coming...

People, all of us, the entire customer base, need to be concerned how these issues are dealt with and resolved.  When an individual can arbitrarily set a criteria, unpublished, and state that a paying customer violates that criteria, THEN ALL OF US ARE AT RISK!

Anyone of us, ANYONE, can have this applied to them.  There needs to be clear definition of what are exploits, communicated in a visible way, and transparent review and resolution process, that assures fair and equitable resolution of issues.

We pay RL money to be here, and at the same time we are the ones that provide the content to make it interesting, that draws more people to this game, and we need to know that issues will be handled objectively, in good faith, and fairly.

WE ARE ALL AT RISK IN THE FUTURE TO THIS BEHAVIOR, EVERYONE OF US, AND WE NEED AS PAYING CUSTOMERS TO KNOW THAT WE WILL BE TREATED EQUITABLY AND IN GOOD FAITH.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfR_QgfvsM8