Topic: Thanks Devs! (Name & Shame)

It's great to see a company finally naming&shaming those who think they're above the law. For those who don't know what I'm talking about - check the dev blog.

Guess all you guys didn't want that nic anyway, right? lol

Re: Thanks Devs! (Name & Shame)

WTG losers!

Menace to Society, X-23, Mahtisoturit, BattleAxe, Not Amused and E=Mk2

When breaking the game for everyone else you even fail at cheating.

It was an exploit? When did that ever get said?

This was mostly the devs' own fault. They were told to do something but ignored the issue so many other corp/individual started to use this, because if their enemies were using they thought they needed it too to be competitive.

If its in-game its a feature. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

When a game mechanic is used to gain an advantage in a way not intended - it is an exploit not a feature.

wink

Vortigon wrote:
Syndic wrote:

When a game mechanic is used to gain an advantage in a way not intended - it is an exploit not a feature.

wink

Successful reading between the lines is successful. big_smile

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Just like having HCs in your clan giving out gold and friendly assisting with teleports. Ohh wait, this is not MO forums.

Well... I personally found most curious that only PvP corp would be named here.

Specially a corp like E=MK2 that only have 15 members, and is utterly unable to really produce bots for the purpose of defrauding insurance. (almost everyone is PvP specced.)

Sure, on some days, we lost 10 bots per member, doing PvP, loosing bots, and destroying even more enemies.
Are we getting punished because we played the game as it was intended?

Almost all these bots we lost were bought on the market.

Why don't you punished the terribad producer that dared sell the bot at such a low price instead?
We did NOTHING to deserve such name-calling and punishment.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Gaulois wrote:

Well... I personally found most curious that only PvP corp would be named here.

Specially a corp like E=MK2 that only have 15 members, and is utterly unable to really produce bots for the purpose of defrauding insurance. (almost everyone is PvP specced.)

Sure, on some days, we lost 10 bots per member, doing PvP, loosing bots, and destroying even more enemies.
Are we getting punished because we played the game as it was intended?

Almost all these bots we lost were bought on the market.

Why don't you punished the terribad producer that dared sell the bot at such a low price instead?
We did NOTHING to deserve such name-calling and punishment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd … re=related

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

All the exploited bots were blown up in PVP, it was just inter-corp PVP.

I don't see how they could tell the difference unless.

1) they track the time from when the bot was produced til it was killled, even then you 'could' have been waiting to do a roam on that batch, so the time could still be short even for a valid PVP death.

2) If they track who gets the killing blow on each bot. They do keep track of the 'number' of killing blows, but do they track which bot was blown up by which character.

Even if they did track that, they would have to cross reference thousands of bot kills to corporate rosters to see if you were killed 'internally'. They would also need to know alliance members and NAP just incase.

And, tehcnially, it doesn't matter if the bot died in PVP or exploit, the 'profit' from losing the bot was unintended. Since some corps exploited this greatly, now anyone who got some profit has to pay for it; or payback for it.

No, the exploitation didn't do anyone any favors.

You buy a cheap bot to a corpmate who fraud, you assure it and explode it in pvp. You fraud.
(especially when you explode a lot of bots when killing less ennemies : )

Arga wrote:

All the exploited bots were blown up in PVP, it was just inter-corp PVP.

I don't see how they could tell the difference unless.

1) they track the time from when the bot was produced til it was killled, even then you 'could' have been waiting to do a roam on that batch, so the time could still be short even for a valid PVP death.

2) If they track who gets the killing blow on each bot. They do keep track of the 'number' of killing blows, but do they track which bot was blown up by which character.

Even if they did track that, they would have to cross reference thousands of bot kills to corporate rosters to see if you were killed 'internally'. They would also need to know alliance members and NAP just incase.

And, tehcnially, it doesn't matter if the bot died in PVP or exploit, the 'profit' from losing the bot was unintended. Since some corps exploited this greatly, now anyone who got some profit has to pay for it; or payback for it.

No, the exploitation didn't do anyone any favors.

Inter corp pvp? With 800 sequers? Spin more pls.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:
Arga wrote:

snip

We had 800 sequers, they didn't.

Jita wrote:

I wasn't spinning sheet. I meant intercorp as in destroyed by someone within their own corp for fraud purposes...

but you bring up another good point that I was making in the Mech vs. Assualt thread, which is most mech pilots can't get any practice because the bots are too expensive to lose.

So another advantage, in addition to the healthy NIC return, was being able to practice PVP and actually get paid for it!

Even if the target mech was empty, as it would have to be for profit, the attacking bots would still get the benefit of using terrain and such; if the target bot was being actually being used and not just sitting there.

Arga wrote:
Jita wrote:

I wasn't spinning sheet. I meant intercorp as in destroyed by someone within their own corp for fraud purposes...

but you bring up another good point that I was making in the Mech vs. Assualt thread, which is most mech pilots can't get any practice because the bots are too expensive to lose.

So another advantage, in addition to the healthy NIC return, was being able to practice PVP and actually get paid for it!

Even if the target mech was empty, as it would have to be for profit, the attacking bots would still get the benefit of using terrain and such; if the target bot was being actually being used and not just sitting there.

You said inter corp pvp. You dont pvp in sequers stop talking rubbish. You got caught, just be thankful you got a reacharound rather than the full on dry bumhole sexiness some think you deserve.

17 (edited by Shiva Bhagavata 2011-02-14 00:20:42)

nvm

Jita wrote:

You said inter corp pvp. You dont pvp in sequers stop talking rubbish. You got caught, just be thankful you got a reacharound rather than the full on dry bumhole sexiness some think you deserve.

You've obviously never been demobbed by the fully armed and operational BATTLE SEQUER! lol

CIR Complaint Form

Glorion wrote:

It was an exploit? When did that ever get said?

Doesn't need to be said. Anyone who has spent any real time in these games knows the score.  When one finds an exploit, report it and move on. DON'T use it. In many games, such actions are perma ban offenses.  Especially, when its a major exploit of this type.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Vortigon wrote:
Syndic wrote:

wink

Exactly. With the Dev's being the final judge, jury and executioner.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

21 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-02-14 02:44:26)

Wraithbane wrote:
Vortigon wrote:
Syndic wrote:

wink

Exactly. With the Dev's being the final judge, jury and executioner.

Hey, MODERATOR, how many threads do we need on this subject, 3 going atm.  Anyhow, this is reposted from other thread, lets get a little logic going here:

Here are the facts people:
A) Devs put in an insuance system, that had short term(16 days at max skill) life, and payouts that actually allowed you to make significantly more than the actual cost to build the bot.

B) Before the announcement that insurance was being turned off, there was no statement on the forums, in the EULA, in the game description of insurance, no where in game or out that this was designated an exploit or a fraud.  People, GMs and Devs, when asked in the past, stated that it is working as intended.

C) Devs were informed, from multiple sources, how this system potentially was "broken", and took no action.

In RL, when you do a Root Cause analysis, you start off with with:

1) What is the issue?
2) What procedure, standard, regulation, etc., that it violates

If you find that there is no regulatory or procedural requirement that the issue violates, you implement corrective action by creating a new requirement to cover the issue.  You cannot at that time claim it is a violation of a requirement, only that your system did not anticipate the need for control of something that at the time was not an issue.

There was not exploit or fraud.  Because there was no rule / requirement / procedure that it violated.  There was no hack, becuase someone did not use out of game mechanics to affect in game performance.  The only ones that are at fault here are the Devs, everything else was done according to the at the time published game rules and functionality.  Corrective Action at this point would be to declare it an exploit, create a mechanic to prevent it, and publish it in an easily referable source, such as an Exploit Forum or list, and state from this point forward, it is not allowed.  To retroactively punish people for something that was not a violation prior to that point is inherently wrong, logically, and ethically.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Please don't create multiple topics about this, you can continue the discussion here.