1 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 22:53:51)

Topic: My concern for the game

I am sure we can all agree there are a few diff play styles ...PvE, Achievers, Explorers, Crafters, PvPers

WE can also agree that the first 4 play styles can and do play well together and get along well enough to make a game work.

We can also agree that none of the first four play styles gamers(hear after to be respectfully called carebears) work well with PvPers.  I respect the carebear way of life and have no ill will toward them to each their own. Now the carebears like to do their own thing they are typically solo players just looking to relax and drain the stress of the long work day before going to bed and starting work the next day. Carebears will not play a game that raises their stress lvls. MY GOD MAN that's the exact opposite of their entire reason for gaming in the first place.

The mistake that was made by games like Darkfall, shadowbane, Mortal online, Aion, Vanguard and countless others was simple they crammed the carebears into a small world where they are at the mercy of PvPers.

The world of Perpetuum has great POTENTIAL  but sadly that is all it will ever be as long as the game world remains as small as it is. You can not cram carebears and PvPers together and make money.

I think Perpetuum is a really really cool game. I think the DEVs are doing a fabulous job and I WANT to see this game be a huge success for my own selfish reasons.

Now the DEVs have a very simple sollution to this problem. They can with minimal effort and expense expand the game world so as to spread out the population. This would have the affect of localizing pvp and maybe adding a bit of safety to some areas of the beta islands. Its a trade off between carebears and pvpers. YOu need not change the mechanics of the game at all. This change will not hinder the pvp players at all. They will always find targets. They just might not find the same one every day for a week who would then rage quite cause he got ganked 5 times this week. It would only require the pvp to work a bit harder which i am sure they would.

Issues I see developing:
roaving gank squads patroling the entire game world constantly looking for targets. they can patrol the entire game worls in about 2 hours or less. This basicly means no carebear will ever be able to play the game without getting ganked constantly every time he/she goes out into a pvp zone. they will be limited to the core 3 Islands. I doubt the carebears would play a game with those kinds of limitations.

My appeal to PvPers:
Set aside your desire to please your own masochistic needs and thing of the bigger picture. Think instead what it would mean to have or not have the income that is sorely needed by attracting the mass volumes of carebears needed to support this game to a successful future.

Possable future developments for none pvp players. It would be noice to see some form of activity in the SAFE islands that would attract andhold the attention of none pvpers.

I consider myself a pvp who on occasion likes to craft and veg without the threat of pvp. Normally after a long stressful day at work when i am to tired to thing strait ect...

THIS IS NOT A RANT ABOUT THE GAME. IT IS SIMPLY MY OBSERVATIONS AFTER 10 YEARS OF ONLINE GAMING. TAKE IT ANY WAY YOU LIKE.

I would love to hear your opinions also feel free to let it all hang out.

Carebear gaming population world wide 99%

PvPer population world wide .50%

facebook clicking game population .05%

Tell me where do you think the money is going come from to make this game successful?

This game already has the mechanics to please the carebears and pvpers if implemented
carefully.

PvP style = people willing to go out and fight and lose bots every single day without end

Semi pvp style = people that prefer the day to day safty of the Alpha islands but on occasion will venture out to the Bate islands but will run from fights if attacked. they accept the cost of possible destruction

PvE style = people who never pvp, don't want to be attacked and do not accept the cost of a lost bot lightly and prefer the safty of the Alpha Islands 100% of the times. These people never want to be blown up by other players and will find other games to play as a result.

btw it's the thanks giving weekend the second larges holiday of the year here in the US. I am at work (with a positive attitude i like my job i like my job) and I have nothing better to do atm than talk about something i feel passionate about..... Perpetuum

Re: My concern for the game

Do not want.

greater risk = greater reward. If you don't want to get ganked, bring friends or stay home. They will most likely add content on both sides of the PvP/PvE spectrum. But for an indie game what they have now as a core is absolutely fantastic.

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

3 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 18:18:37)

serenekaos wrote:

Do not want.

greater risk = greater reward. If you don't want to get ganked, bring friends or stay home. They will most likely add content on both sides of the PvP/PvE spectrum. But for an indie game what they have now as a core is absolutely fantastic.

Typical attitude that leads to failed games. A person incapable of seeing the bigger picture for he is to busy digging his ditch......oh wait sorry that's his own grave

You need to stop with the doom & gloom the day after release and please remove your head from your rectum while your at it.

If the high-risk materials could be farmed on Alpha Islands in great quantity/efficiency there would be limited reason for corps to push out into the Beta Islands.

As I said earlier. Get friends. This is an MMO, not a game for you to solo and then *** that your soloing has limited content.

-Gallowglass-

It's perfectly possibe to feel safe on the beta islands. Join a decen't alliance and there should be plenty of warning from incoming attacks.

I'll agree that SOLO players won't find much PvE in the beta islands. But that comes from the FFA PvP and not the content. Adding more beta islands will not solve that. It will just ruin the competition. Why would anyone bother fighting over resources?

More content on the Alpha islands is a possibility I guess. Feel free to make suggestions.

serenekaos wrote:

1)  If the high-risk materials could be farmed on Alpha Islands in great quantity/efficiency there would be limited reason for corps to push out into the Beta Islands.

As I said earlier. Get friends. This is an MMO, not a game for you to solo and then *** that your soloing has limited content.

Did you read and better yet did you comprehend what I said......I don't think so read it again ...read it a couple more times maybe it will sink in.

1) I never said anything about changing mineral nods. I said make more islands plain and simple is standard English.

2) There are more solo carebear players than there will ever be pvpers, they are where gaming companies are making money. WoW proves that. Pvpers are a very small minority infinitesimal to the wider much larger cearbear gaming market.

CenDre wrote:

Please stretch our small player base out so that I don't have to interact with anyone in this MMO.

I can read just fine. You're argument just sucks.

-Gallowglass-

8 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 18:56:03)

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:

I'll agree that SOLO players won't find much PvE in the beta islands. But that comes from the FFA PvP and not the content. Adding more beta islands will not solve that. It will just ruin the competition. Why would anyone bother fighting over resources?

More content on the Alpha islands is a possibility I guess. Feel free to make suggestions.

I agree the Bate islands need not change at all. I still think the number of Beta and Alpha islands needs a significant increase. I like the idea of adding content to the alpha islands to. I think that would attract more carebears who would be content to live there. I think to that if the cearbears ever wanted a rush they could go out into the Betas for a bit of pvp once in a while. Who knows they might even get hooked on the adrenaline rush.

Like I said so far I like the game i don't think the mechanics need to change at all they work. Adding more of both types of islands would be easy and cheap. Adding more content for the cearbears on alpha probably would come from an expansion down the road.

serenekaos wrote:
CenDre wrote:

Please stretch our small player base out so that I don't have to interact with anyone in this MMO.

I can read just fine. You're argument just sucks.

hehehe I am not arguing....you just are not capable of understanding is all. There is hope you can learn should you chose to. All is not lost you can do it.

ar·gu·ment
/ˈɑrgyəmənt/ Show Spelled[ahr-gyuh-muhnt] Show IPA
–noun
1. an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
2. a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
3. a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.
4. a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.

arguments don't have to be hate mongering *** fests. I don't agree with your opinion. If you think the Alpha islands are over-populated then try venturing away from the main terminal to an outpost......most of them are empty. When they get over 2K people online then maybe they will need more islands.

-Gallowglass-

11 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 19:18:19)

serenekaos wrote:

When they get over 2K people online then maybe they will need more islands.

By then it may be to late if it isn't already.

The PVE(carebears) are trying the game now and forming opinions NOW. The decisions on whether or not to play are already being made they don;t have the next year to "see what happens" it is happening right now. 

Cramming PvP and PVE players together in a small world is no way to keep or grow a subscriber base.

It's really sad you are incapable of seeing this.

Where exactly are you seeing such a concentration of players? Because outside of the 'starter' terminals......the islands are ghost lands.

-Gallowglass-

serenekaos wrote:

Where exactly are you seeing such a concentration of players? Because outside of the 'starter' terminals......the islands are ghost lands.

Your just not getting it......PVE players in general do not pvp they will seldom go out into pvp lands.  This is not going to change. The game must adapt to a degree until more of the pve players addapt to the game.

The majority of the people who will be on Beta islands will be pvpers and they are busy researching harvesting building bots before moving out to Beta lands.

CenDre wrote:
serenekaos wrote:

Your just not getting it......PVE players in general do not pvp they will seldom go out into pvp lands.  This is not going to change. The game must adapt to a degree until more of the pve players addapt to the game.

The majority of the people who will be on Beta islands will be pvpers and they are busy researching harvesting building bots before moving out to Beta lands.

My questions has nothing at all to do with PvP. Please try again.

-Gallowglass-

15 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 19:49:55)

If you were on the beach ready to go swimming and have a great time and a life guard told you there were great white sharks out there feeding and they would never go away, it could be one shark or a thousand all they know is som one saw a guy get eaten alive...... would you jump in.

CenDre wrote:

If you were on the beach ready to go swimming and have a great time and a life guard told you there were great white sharks out there feeding and they would never go away...... would you jump in.

lol

-Gallowglass-

17 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 19:56:29)

serenekaos wrote:
CenDre wrote:

If you were on the beach ready to go swimming and have a great time and a life guard told you there were great white sharks out there feeding and they would never go away...... would you jump in.

lol

NO

you &*()^%$ carbear   said with much scorn smile

I'm a carebear but I like swimming with sharks. Stop making generalisations about 'carebears' some of us also accept the risks in a PvP game and find it adds excitement. Just need to approach the game for what it is and play it to its full.

serenekaos wrote:
CenDre wrote:

lol

Your logic is astonishing. Whatever chemicals you abuse, please don't stop now.

-Gallowglass-

20 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 21:07:09)

Kroth wrote:

I'm a carebear but I like swimming with sharks. Stop making generalisations about 'carebears' some of us also accept the risks in a PvP game and find it adds excitement. Just need to approach the game for what it is and play it to its full.

Well sir that means you are not a carebear. You are something else ...I have not coined a name for PvE/PvP players maybe semi pvper will do.

But my primes still stands the game world is to small and it will cram the pvp and pve people together enough so that the true pve players the ones who NEVER indulge in pvp will not pay to play this game.

I respect all play styles...my best friend is a hard core cearbear. He hates pvp with a passion like none other. But i still like gaming with him.

I like pvp,  find it imposable to be interested in a game without pvp.

I agree with serenekaos. The thing that made eve fun (on occasion) was the wild west feel of 0.0. You were not safe, anywhere. You had to be smart. You had to cooperate to survive. You couldnt just stroll out and mine or rat whenever you felt like it. You had to plan, coordinate, and pay attention. The outer islands will (and should) be no different.

And I imagine more islands will be added as the population and content expand.

22 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 20:32:46)

Amlodhi wrote:

I agree with serenekaos. The thing that made eve fun (on occasion) was the wild west feel of 0.0. You were not safe, anywhere. You had to be smart. You had to cooperate to survive. You couldnt just stroll out and mine or rat whenever you felt like it. You had to plan, coordinate, and pay attention. The outer islands will (and should) be no different.

And I imagine more islands will be added as the population and content expand.

I have never once said to change the Bate islands .... not once. The game mechanics work they do not need to change not one bit. Game mechanics should stay as they are.

***throws her hand in the air and walks away mumbling about dense people***

Maybe you should re-read your own OP. Cause obviously you did not convey your thoughts well enough since NO ONE seems to understand what exactly your trying to say.

-Gallowglass-

CenDre wrote:

If you were on the beach ready to go swimming and have a great time and a life guard told you there were great white sharks out there feeding and they would never go away, it could be one shark or a thousand all they know is som one saw a guy get eaten alive...... would you jump in.

Disclaimer first: I am a carebear so far, i cart stuff from terminal to terminal making money off what i buy and sell, this does mean that occasionally i need to ask for help to get out to the stations on the outer isles to drag ammo and the like out. I do have a combat account, i go out and blow up NPC mechs, mission run, etc. but have not really wanted to go out to the outer isles yet. I do the same thing in EvE and love it, except there i have two accounts that are both merchants, neither account even has weapons on ships, lol.

There is a big difference between us in our flabby bodies going into the water with sharks, and working with others before going out into a PvP area.....
If you do not ever want to interact with others (which you said at least once earlier) and think there are a lot of other people here that feel the same i fear you are mistaken.
For one this is an MMO, perhaps more than other MMO's (other than EvE) the whole idea is interaction with others.
Secondly when you started out, you did not immediately rush out and take on star mechs did you? Did not swim with the sharks until you became as bad as they were?
You were barely able to handle the drones they sent you out against, same as the rest of us. Then as you learn the game and pick up some skills you fight tougher and tougher bots. The same has to happen with PvP areas, we all need to learn ways to get in and out relatively safely, what not to do, etc. You evolve in the game where to some degree you become a shark that can handle the other sharks in your pool.

As someone pointed out before there are plenty of carebears that go into the PvP areas for whatever reason and we have learned to swim with the sharks

...yes, i am carebear, if attacked in PvP i will run before using my measly weapons to hide shaking behind the legs of the nearest friendly bristling with guns lol....

An interesting thing to note, PvPers do sometimes need carebears (and the other way around). If the fighting gets hot and heavy, ammo supplies start running low, guess what? I can come running in with a load of ammo, they can blow me up, or let me in to start selling, if they do not like my prices i will not be welcomed back (other than as meat), if they blow me up, i can embargo them, or hurt them by playing the market (if they put in remote buy and sell orders i could do much better with that last though, lol)

I agree that more space would be better, for a few reasons, but mostly because the paths between alpha and Beta Isles are few and narrow. I am waiting for an enterprising large corp to decide to blockade between them, it would not be overly hard.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

25 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-26 21:23:44)

Zhyntil wrote:
CenDre wrote:

Disclaimer first: I am a carebear so far, i cart stuff from terminal to terminal making money off what i buy and sell, this does mean that occasionally i need to ask for help to get out to the stations on the outer isles to drag ammo and the like out. I do have a combat account, i go out and blow up NPC mechs, mission run, etc. but have not really wanted to go out to the outer isles yet. I do the same thing in EvE and love it, except there i have two accounts that are both merchants, neither account even has weapons on ships, lol.

There is a big difference between us in our flabby bodies going into the water with sharks, and working with others before going out into a PvP area.....
If you do not ever want to interact with others (which you said at least once earlier) and think there are a lot of other people here that feel the same i fear you are mistaken.
For one this is an MMO, perhaps more than other MMO's (other than EvE) the whole idea is interaction with others.
Secondly when you started out, you did not immediately rush out and take on star mechs did you? Did not swim with the sharks until you became as bad as they were?
You were barely able to handle the drones they sent you out against, same as the rest of us. Then as you learn the game and pick up some skills you fight tougher and tougher bots. The same has to happen with PvP areas, we all need to learn ways to get in and out relatively safely, what not to do, etc. You evolve in the game where to some degree you become a shark that can handle the other sharks in your pool.

As someone pointed out before there are plenty of carebears that go into the PvP areas for whatever reason and we have learned to swim with the sharks

...yes, i am carebear, if attacked in PvP i will run before using my measly weapons to hide shaking behind the legs of the nearest friendly bristling with guns lol....

An interesting thing to note, PvPers do sometimes need carebears (and the other way around). If the fighting gets hot and heavy, ammo supplies start running low, guess what? I can come running in with a load of ammo, they can blow me up, or let me in to start selling, if they do not like my prices i will not be welcomed back (other than as meat), if they blow me up, i can embargo them, or hurt them by playing the market (if they put in remote buy and sell orders i could do much better with that last though, lol)

I agree that more space would be better, for a few reasons, but mostly because the paths between alpha and Beta Isles are few and narrow. I am waiting for an enterprising large corp to decide to blockade between them, it would not be overly hard.

For this game to live I mean truly live all of us gamers regardless of our play style need one another. We depend on one another to make the gaming exp enjoyable. I play online games for the simple fact i like interacting with people from around the world.

my only point in this thread is simply this:

The game world is to small and it will cram the pvp and pve people together enough so that the true pve players the ones who NEVER indulge in pvp will not pay to play this game.

Here is my definition of the three play styles I think are relevant to this thread:

PvP style = people willing to go out and fight and lose bots every single day without end. .05% of gamer population

Semi pvp style = people that prefer the day to day safety of the Alpha islands but on occasion will venture out to the Bate islands but will run from fights if attacked. they accept the cost of possible destruction. 5% of gamer population

PvE style = people who never pvp, don't want to be attacked and do not accept the cost of a lost bot lightly and prefer the safty of the Alpha Islands 100% of the times. These people never want to be blown up by other players and will find other games to play as a result. 94.05% of gamer population.